Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
www.cnbc.com

Civil rights leaders say they're 'disappointed and stunned' after call with Facebook's Zuckerberg and Sandberg

The leaders said Zuckerberg gave "incomprehensible explanations" for not taking action against President Trump's "looting ... shooting" post.

Hundreds of Facebook employees are also walking out.

I am also deleting my insta and will move all photography efforts to Imgur.

I suggest people do the same.

The "but my family and friends" is extremely hollow. You have their phone numbers. There are plenty of other ways to share photos and stay in touch.

Let's try to get #deletefacebook trending on Twitter again as well.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Already did, Insta is next. Sadly, I'm very entrenched in WhatsApp (work has their chat there), but I'm looking into deleting that as well.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I don't use Facebook anymore because it was destroying my mental health, but they own Whatsapp that I need for college/work (now more than ever).

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I deleted mine last summer. I haven't looked back. Zuckerberg makes 80's/90's era Bill Gates look like a saint in comparison.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remember that this goes for Instagram, Whatsapp, and Oculus products/software as well.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Too much of my work contacts are on Facebook / Whatsapp, so I'm pretty much stuck.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't use Facebook anymore because it was destroying my mental health, but they own Whatsapp that I need for college/work (now more than ever).

No you don't. Tell the people you are in touch with you will be reverting to texts, imessage, or email for communicating. Tell them why too.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Yeah I ditched FB last year, but...
The "but my family and friends" is extremely hollow. You have their phone numbers. There are plenty of other ways to share photos and stay in touch.
I wish FB didn't own Whatsapp. It's completely replaced SMS here in the UK. I don't really understand how Whatsapp makes money, because it has no ads. I assume that my continued use of it is benefitting FB in some way though.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Quoting myself from the other thread so those on the fence know they have more options:

Helpful reminder that even if you feel you can't delete your account just yet, you can still wipe your history with browser extensions. I use this one:

chrome.google.com

Social Book Post Manager

Batch delete posts in Fackbook (TM) timeline. Other batch processing: hide / unhide / unlike items. FREE!

Neither I nor anyone I know gets any value from all the thousands of things I've posted to that site going back to 2004, except for the precious Algorithm, Cambridge Analytica, and whoever else Facebook sells your data to. It isn't perfect and will probably require multiple passes, but it's better than surrendering everything to an irresponsible cyberpunk villain of a company.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
if your friends/family really care to stay in touch with you then simply changing your means of communication (aka deleting whatsapp, facebook, instagram, etc) shouldn't fucking destroy your relationship lol

that's one of the whole points of these services, is to make it inconvenient for you to leave. you're playing right into their hands.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Can't do it. It's the only way I can keep in touch with some folks and I need it for work.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I am already too deep into it. I won't sell my Quest and I need Whatsapp for work and private. I rarely use Facebook anyway. It's full of old people nowadays.

Sorry, but this goes to the evil mega-corps.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I wish FB didn't own Whatsapp. It's completely replaced SMS here in the UK. I don't really understand how Whatsapp makes money, because it has no ads. I assume that my continued use of it is benefitting FB in some way though.

Revert to texting then. Texts still work yes? If you need to send larger files arrange to do so using something other than WhatsApp.

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
As evil as this shit is, right now it's a useful tool for voices to be heard.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you actually need to conduct business/handle your work social I get it. But that's about it.

Really though companies should actually start deplatforming them.

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
A lot of the globe exclusively communicates through either Messenger or WhatsApp. I applaud anyone who can completely sever themselves from Facebook but it's just not a reality for a lot of people with international contacts.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

Honestly, i wonder how many think similarly. And whether or not that actually is part of its value to Facebook.
"Well, i won't bother to delete facebook since i can't go all the way anyways, as i cannot completely abandon WhatsApp"

It ties so many people to the 'Facebook Ecosystem', i'm not sure it needs to be monetized more aggressively.

Personally, i need Facebook and instagram for work.
I barely use it on my personal account, though.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Facebook and Instagram is easy task. Whatsapp though, in parts of Europe is basically the norm to use, not only for family and friends, but also for work. It's such a basic tool and it's sad to see everyone so dependant of it, but it really is true.

Atram

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I only use it to abuse their draconian rules with fake profiles and landingpages to promote our CBD company...

For every other things there are better ways to keep in touch with friends, families and news

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Revert to texting then. Texts still work yes? If you need to send larger files arrange to do so using something other than WhatsApp.
Yeah I'm looking through my contacts list to see how many I can make alternative arrangements with. I can use iMessage for quite a few, just gotta let them know.

I've been using Signal a bit recently, that's a nice app that works the same way as Whatsapp.

Zom

Oct 25, 2017
I havent use facebook in years so no problem in that regard but instagram and whatsapp, thats a no no, they are extremely integrated in social and work life, the evil mega corps got most of us by the balls.

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah not really, especially for my family who still live overseas that rely on Facebook.

I'm the same, I live overseas from family and friends and everyone is spread out, Facebook is the only platform that corrals all the contacts into one place.

People can run out the "if you lose touch you weren't real friends anyway" line but it's just not as simple as that when your friend group and family are in every different time zone.

I am fully aware Facebook is a bad company, so I don't feel good about using it, but here I am relying on it.

Oct 31, 2017
All of the local businesses in the small town where I live use and rely on Facebook. I have friends and family members rely on Facebook for their small businesses. I am a member of multiple groups I find invaluable for a variety of reasons. There isn't a better platform for event planning that happens to already have nearly everyone online. And yes, I do use it to keep in touch with friends and family near and far.

It's a very very difficult thing to just walk away from, not just "but my family and friends".

Oct 27, 2017
My side job is as a wedding photographer, and unfortunately most business comes through Facebook and Instagram, there are no viable alternate platforms. I no longer use my person accounts on both, but I also can't delete them as my professional pages would be deleted as well.

Qasiel

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 27, 2017
Deleted mine at Xmas and haven't looked back. Been happier and more productive since.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Right now, for our organization, even with its warts, it makes the most sense. We've talked about it as leaders, but decided against it, because there is no other platform that does everything that facebook does.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Deleted mine in 2018. Too much misinformation being spread by my friends and family at the time, had to step away and cut those ties for my mental heath.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Reverting to email/SMS doesn't really address groups and events, which I think is where the main value in the platform lies outside of business promotion.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Really though companies should actually start deplatforming them.

That's not what that word means.

What you're asking for is for companies to be deplatforming themselves - essentially losing a way to connect to their 'fans' and advertise to thousands of potential customers.
More often than not, Facebook and Instagram is how small / local businesses are discovered - how they interact with their customers, which is super important, if you're a small business that relies on 'personality' instead of global brand recognition

Sep 14, 2019
I keep contemplating it, but still unsure only because I'm starting a business and will try to promote a game later this year (First World Problems, huh? 😔).

Is twitter good enough to promote a business (specifically an indie game?).

Alternatives?

Deleted member 2328

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really want to. But I'm already a shut-in and facebook is really the only remaining point of contact with some people...

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
Can't do it. It's the only way I can keep in touch with some folks and I need it for work.

Yeah same. How am I supposed to promote my work as a freelance illustrator without social media?
I simply can't afford to stop using Facebook and Instagram.

And Whatsapp is my social lifeline, I can't do group chats by text message and email is totally antiquated for that kind of thing. It's just not happening, sorry.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I wish I could - I need it for my work and some of the clients I have... it's terrible and I loathe it, and as soon as I get a job where it's not required, I'm out...

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I have networks set up on IG and FB so unfortunately I can not but the second a replacement for these two apps come around (a replacement that lasts more than a month) I'll be there.

But I'm not ready to delete 10 years worth of albums.