• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you think you would change?

• Worse

Votes: 144 17.0%
  • Slightly worse

Votes: 188 22.2%
  • No change

Votes: 199 23.5%
  • Better

Votes: 106 12.5%
  • Slightly better

Votes: 67 7.9%
  • I don't know, man

Votes: 140 16.5%
  • Other??!

Votes: 4 0.5%

• Total voters

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't have any need for more money than what is needed to not have to work for the rest of my life. Any excess of that would be donated. I have zero desire in luxury products or traveling. I would buy a decent house for me and my partner. Other than that I don't really want anything.

Now, if the money would make me better or worse I don't know. I feel that I'm too old for it to change me much.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I would change. Maybe I would be a bit better about giving money to people on the street and buying things for friends. I'd probably end up always treating them, which I already try to do even though I'm poor.

Spaggy

Oct 26, 2017
coin.png

Something like this…

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
The majority of my problems could be immediately solved by dumping ridiculous amounts of money on them so I'd like to think that I'd be a better person because I'd be happier.

On the other hand, I'd likely be a lot more socially withdrawn and mistrusting of other people (if they knew I had money) so a little of column A, a little of column B.

bbg_g

Jun 21, 2020
I'd probably be a little bit worse.

If it was real wealthy, I'd buy up all the buildings in my local downtown that have just been sitting empty or recently jacked their commercial space rent x5 to kick out all the original businesses and art spaces. Then rent out those spaces back to the artist galleries and other community centres and turn some of the buildings into small music venues again.

I'd be hated for owning the property and changing the scene from the recent gentrified locals that hated everything about the neighborhood they moved into.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Depends if people find out you have money or not. If you're rich but hide it well enough you're going to be just another dude, if people sniff out that you got millions hiding it's going to be a question of whether you're doing enough for everyone else.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Haven't there been studies on what extreme wealth does to your brain? My understanding is that it reduces empathy. So yeah, I probably would be a worse person. And would have the resources to do worse things on a bigger scale. Not a good combo lol

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
If you don't think you'd become worse if you suddenly came into obscene amounts of money, your guard is not sufficiently up.

I expect I'd be the type of "worse" who's so unnecessarily frugal with the money it was a waste to give so much to me.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
As someone who has already gone from just about poor to middle class, I already have my answer:

I'll stay the same, but there's a good chance my extended family become far worse people.

CrazyIvan1978

Oct 27, 2017
Wisconsin
I want to say no, the wealth is not what is going to do it. I feel like as I get older I become more of an asshole, but I am certain that my own perception is worlds away from other people's perception of me. So, I guess it's had to know.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
If I was rich, I hope things wouldn't change much - I would just use my resources to get every single short cut I could in life.

Now... if I was filthy rich - like lottery money rich - I would turn into a bit of a jerk... but for good! My goal would be to buy up property and destabilize local real estate. My greatest frustration in life is hearing "Well the market is..." and if I had so much money, I would buy up property, crash rents and force the market lower and make landlords and land barons lose money.

duxstar

Oct 26, 2017
All of you saying Better or wouldn't change are wrong, Winning the Lottery legitimately sounds like a Nightmare

This reddit post really opens your mind alot to how becoming Instantly Rich really isn't all that

What if you won the Lottery

Like I think the best way is to become Medium levels of wealth and then go up from there. Sure its nice to Fantasize but the post about winning the lottery makes me hesitant to think it would be the perfect gift

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I 100% hate attention

So I would be the same. I'll definitely do anonymous donations as I do now but yeah

I guess I'd be more dishonest when it comes time to find a partner, I'd much rather keep the amount I make hidden until we get to a certain point.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know. It's impossible to fathom for me. There's no case where it would happen short of me winning the lotto or something and that's not going to happen.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All of you saying Better or wouldn't change are wrong, Winning the Lottery legitimately sounds like a Nightmare

This reddit post really opens your mind alot to how becoming Instantly Rich really isn't all that

Like I think the best way is to become Medium levels of wealth and then go up from there. Sure its nice to Fantasize but the post about winning the lottery makes me hesitant to think it would be the perfect gift

Hate to say it, but much of this sounds like a skill issue?

If your first instinct wasn't to take that cash and use a portion to dissappear to either a different country or obscure your identity then I don't know what to tell you. When you get that much cash you are a mark, that's just how it is.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I always said that if I got rich, then the first thing I'd do would be to pay off my family's homes and debts, get a slightly bigger house, pay off debts for me and my wife, buy up some land to serve as housing and services for the homeless, and start a small video game company.

But as for my personality, it wouldn't change one bit. I'd stay introverted and keep not spending lavishly. You'd never see me driving around in a Maserati nor owning a yacht, private plane, etc

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
After a certain point, yeah. A lot of people stop being people past a certain point of wealth. Their lived experience changes to such an extent that empathy with others slides right out of their heads. It's a story as old as time, seen time and time again.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I'm not even going to lie, I would absolutely become worse in some aspects, namely giving into some typical rich vices (big house, fast cars, vacations), at least a first. Once I got that out of my system, I would at least try to dedicate my time and wealth towards progressive causes the best I can. And of course help family (through trusts, not directly).

Oh and I would absolutely leave the US without a second thought.

I've seen this post many times, but I do wonder how much of this would be mitigated by moving to another country.

Also, some states allow you to claim lottery winnings anonymously, so that may help as well.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know, but I sure hope not. I'd definitely have the means to be even more reclusive, so I'm sure family and former friends who wanted to find me to ask for money would start up all sorts of rumors and reasons I must be horrible and stingy.

Becoming rich basically overnight (as in winning the lottery or a sudden inheritance) might mess with my brain. If I became wealthy over a long period of time the chances of behaving responsibly would probably be better.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that would really change is I'd actually have a house and would book a lot more trips to Disneyland since it's my wife's favorite place. Beyond that I'd probably try set up a sustainable way to give to charity. I'd actually thought about it before and I think what I'd like to do would be buy up some big properties businesses would look at renting and then donate the income from that, consider it a way of taxing larger businesses I guess.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I would be the same personality wise and I would find ways to be more altruistic than I can currently afford to be. I like to think my becoming wealthy would be a net positive.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Worse in some ways, better in others. Hard to say until you're in the situation.

Winning the lotto sounds great, but is almost always a massive nightmare for people. I get along well with all of my family and were I to win a ton of money I'd like to help them all out, same for putting my money to work for some kind of cause since I'd have some real means to help out, but that can go sideways real fast too. You'll have all kinds of people coming out the woodwork asking for money, harassing, and even threatening you. That can change anyone. But at the same time I'd like to think I'd keep a level head about things knowing it's not really people at fault but the system that puts people in a position where they are desperate for money to meet their basic needs, and/or a culture that has people feeling like they have to keep up appearance and certain standards of living that just aren't realistic.

In terms of my overall lifestyle and attitude about money I don't see that changing much. I'd retire immediately, but I don't much care for conspicuous wealth and extravagance, I hate cars, and most fancy shit. Having more expensive things doesn't mean anything or make you better. I'd travel a shit ton more but again nothing crazy fancy, beyond that I would spend all my time at my home just enjoying myself and whatever hobbies and interests that pop up. No social media already, so that wouldn't change or have me trying to gain clout. Only way I'd get rich is probably through something like the lotto and not through something like becoming some big influencer, selling a book, or product of some kind that would require me to employ or interact with people differently than I do now and put on some kind of front or personality to maintain my success/appearance.

If I won big I think I would basically spend a bunch up front setting myself up. A nice home I can stay in for life. Maybe a vacation home or apartment somewhere. Budget out my living expenses for the next 50-60 years for taxes, upkeep, travel, health, retirement, and save/invest whatever I need for that and then everything that's left over give to family, charity, and dump into some passion project of mine. Put the money to work to create something rather than just sitting away in the bank or some investment portfolio making me feel good.

But that's all like ultra wealthy, hitting that hundreds of millions or billion jackpot kind of rich. That's the kind of ultra wealthy where you're truly set for life multiples time over. But say if I just won like 5-10 million or whatever that's life changing for sure, but you're also a lot more limited in what you can do beyond just retiring early. A few bad investments and lifestyle choices and that can disappear real fast. A nice home will take out a good chunk of that and if you want to retire and never work again for the next 35-40 years or more that's going to eat through a lot of that money, even with interest. Especially if you have kids and it's not just your and a partner. Having family, friends, and strangers coming up to you for financial help is going to hit a lot different than if you have many 10s or hundreds of millions in the bank.

Last edited:

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I think i would be better, cause it would let me experience stuff i never did before, with all the time in the world without worrying about what comes next. And with all the travelling i'll do i think with time i'll be more open and it will be easier for me to talk to all kind of different people

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
Better hopefully. I'd certainly try and do some good with it, with the difficulty being what or who to help.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Can't say with absolute certainty, but I've had to exist with not a lot of money to this point. I've seen how most wealthy people act with money and I would not try to do that. I do not want fame, but I guarantee I'd be happier.

Macam

Nov 8, 2018
Depends on the level of wealth. If it's relatively low "very wealthy", nope.

If it's absurd levels of Bezos levels of wealth, there's a 50/50 chance I'd become the George Soros styled villain conservatives always dreamed of.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I am sure parts of the internet would think so. Like if I had fuck you money(read billions), decent hired protection, and people listened to my inane rants. Yeah, I am sure I would say stuff that would for sure piss off conservatives all the time. I would probably annoy some on the left as well because on a few issues, like say guns, my position would probably piss off both sides for different reasons.

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Could say I'll be the same or be better but that's wishful thinking. I'll eventually start talking about rich-people 'problems' to someone financially worse off and not realize I'm saying/doing rich-douchebag things from that persons POV. So honestly I'll be slightly worse since even if I mostly keep to myself, having that much money will color my interactions and I don't think it'll be for the better.

Nov 27, 2017
California
I'd definitely donate more
Especially to kids in hospitals around Christmas or low income areas
I remember I bought random Lego polybags for this kids class I was doing an internship in and they loved the gift

Other than that I'd just travel

Sadire

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 31, 2017
I think I'd feel conflicted and guilty, and probably give a lot of it to charities.

But I might become more of a hermit.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
like 90% of my stress is work or time related. If I don't have to work anymore, I got the time. I really don't see how I don't become the best possible version of myself. All I want is a little shack and a hammock near a beach and dog.

but also, I wouldn't tell a soul

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
I might isolate myself even more than I do now though which may make people think I'm a douchebag if they haven't already. Preferably, I don't want people I used to know to have any idea.

But for people who stuck by me, I'll probably be the same, maybe happier.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Money doesn't make you into a douchebag. Money gives you the opportunity to be generous. If you're already a douchebag though, money won't cure you, it will make things worse only because your douchebaggery now has more power.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If I truly had money enough that I thought I would never have to worry about anything again, I would work very hard to figure out the best way to give the rest of it away to good causes.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Other, because I'd like to think I'd donate a lot towards charities and make it rain on gofundmes.

But I'm never going to be suddenly rich

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
I'd like to think not, but most probably like to think that. I don't want a mansion, I don't want a car that costs the same as a decent home, and I don't like gaudy stuff. I'd spent a lot on a nice game room, but I've seen plenty of those from people who I'm pretty sure aren't rich. Maybe I'll be an asshole though.

i would probably never leave the house
Yup. I'd go hang out with friends, but I'd become a major hermit. Especially if I made enough to take care of me the rest of my life.