• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you think you would change?

• Worse

Votes: 144 17.0%
  • Slightly worse

Votes: 188 22.2%
  • No change

Votes: 199 23.5%
  • Better

Votes: 106 12.5%
  • Slightly better

Votes: 67 7.9%
  • I don't know, man

Votes: 140 16.5%
  • Other??!

Votes: 4 0.5%

• Total voters

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I've been poor and I've also had a little money. Nothing like lottery money. But I think I'd be pretty much the same but a bit better cuz I could give freely to causes that I can't afford to now. The difference of having and not to me was mostly mental peace. Not worrying about unexpected expenses and the peace of mind that comes from that. Not spending on crazy things.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I'd keep enough to ensure my parents, brother and my husband and I have enough to live with no worries. I don't care about luxury brands or having 50 cars, I'd just like a nice house with what my husband and I want/need, enough money to not have to work + pay for care when we are old and an awesome enclosed play space for our cats.

The rest of the money would be used to help local animal rescues and to open a low cost veterinary clinic for people of all incomes which rescues could also use.

Oct 26, 2017
I've always been a fairly charitable person and not super concerned with material stuff. Might get a little snooty with restaurants, though. However I always felt if I won the lottery the first thing I'd want to do is help out friends/family pay any debts they owe.

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe you wouldn't develop an asshole-ish personality but I feel like as a baseline, the wealthier you are the more removed you are from the problems of the common person. So at the very least you'd be less empathetic towards more people.

hockeypuck

Oct 29, 2017
I see real life examples of this transition all the time. Most medical students in the U.S. do not come from wealth, and then are suddenly thrust into it within 1 year of finishing residency/fellowship. The income multiplies 5-10X. But because most students have debts, I tend to believe that overall the group learns to budget and still live an upper middle-class life. There are plenty who donate back to their own hospitals, as evident on any donation board seen in hospital lobbies. Most doctors tend to finish their careers as doctors, and not transform their steady high income to become real estate barons, the true douchebags.

Last edited:

mantidor

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know... how can anyone really? I for sure would donate most of it and help family and friends, but I would never disclose I was the winner, not even my closest friends, I would claim I had a nice business opportunity and I won some money, but like, in the thousands, at most.

All of you saying Better or wouldn't change are wrong, Winning the Lottery legitimately sounds like a Nightmare

This reddit post really opens your mind alot to how becoming Instantly Rich really isn't all that

What if you won the Lottery

Like I think the best way is to become Medium levels of wealth and then go up from there. Sure its nice to Fantasize but the post about winning the lottery makes me hesitant to think it would be the perfect gift

It is odd that some states force the winner to go public, it is practically to put a target on their backs.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I always think about how satisfying it would be to have enough money to help people on a broad level, so my hope is that I would stay the same.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
I think id be the same, just happy. All I'd do is buy a modest house and a load of fairly ordinary 80s and 90s cars and motorbikes that most people wouldn't bat an eyelid at. No daft supercars for me, ta. Be nice to go on holiday more than once every 10-20 years. Would also be nice to make sure all my friends and family are comfortable.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Honestly I'd blow it all on producing movies and games that otherwise would never see the light of day, so I wouldn't remain rich for long. Giving me $200m is the quickest way to lose $100m on a blockbuster budget Colour of Magic movie.

edit: I will say that going from negative money to middle class money didn't really change my lifestyle at all. So if I was a millionaire I'd probably just live in a nice three bedroom house with a bit of space and just do creative shit without fear of starving.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Yes easily, I could also buy friends and do cool douchebag things like buy pokemon cards

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
If you don't have latent douchebag tendencies that immediately surface, it will encroach upon you like a frog boiling in a pot. Your standards for how things should be will shift. Your expectations will shift. How you view different situations will shift.

I don't think I've become more of an asshole, but I've definitely waved off things as non-issues almost on reaction when they would be huge issues when I was making 1/4 or less than what I make now.

Also winning the lottery and getting one lump sum probably has different effects than someone who stepped on people and earned it.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
Eventually.

I'd just be happier since I'd be less stressed over jobs, housing, and food for a long time even if I couldn't like live on the wealth forever. There are def things I'd do just to improve my health but they aren't possible right now.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
I think I'd make the lives of the people around me better, and I'd have more space and time for myself so I'd be happier. So I think I'd be better. Most of my bad traits seem to come out when I'm under stress.

I actually think most people given money, particularly as adults that grew up not rich, will not be douchebags. I think the relentless pursuit of money makes douchebags, and having always had money makes a different kind of douchebag. If your problems are suddenly solved through some drastic monetary intervention I think most people would just be like "this is great, I'm so lucky" and not like "I deserve this and I'm better than everyone."

SmackDaddy

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Its already happening. My company made good money last year and im pissed about the money i have to pay towards taxes.

I never had any illusions around money/power making me better. Im human.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
I've always said that, after paying off debts and putting some away for a comfortable nest egg, I'd give it all away. I'd try to leave the world a better place than I found it.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be better since I wouldn't be stressed having to go to work everyday. And I'd actually have some money to donate.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Worse. And anyone who said they'd be better would be even more worse.

Wealth corrupts.

Jeffolation

Shinra Employee
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think it'd be pretty. Was already mentally compiling a list of people that I would lord my wealth over while I read this thread.

Lil Bee

Feb 13, 2024
I'd take care of my own needs first, and then do as much mutual aid as I possibly could. I dream of being able to give back.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Two things are universally true. Everyone who becomes wealthy changes as a result. And nobody changes for the better.

TheKid

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
I feel like at 35 I am already living a very satisfying life. The only difference would be I would be debt free and own a home and have a savings acct. I don't think I could stop working

Edit: actually I think I would start a business of sort and help illegal immigrants by having them go through the actual process of getting a work visa through it so they can get proper driving licenses and go through the right channels. Everybody wins

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Everyone saying they'd do good would totally be Gandalf if he had the One Ring.

Just join the fun side and admit the debauchery and douchebaggery.

Bengraven