• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

netguy503

Nov 15, 2017
Glad I bought GoT DC when it went on sale, the only time it's been on sale, last month before legends went free on plus (It's like Sony intentionally knew this would screw with people). I FULLY expect this to happen with the free RE7 that's coming up if you own it (everyone owns it if they have PS Plus and a PS5) even though people here tell me it's a Capcom thing not Sony so don't worry.

OP
OP
Skyfireblaze

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I did claim the Legends trial with PS+ and I was prompted a €30 upgrade when I inserted a disc. Obviously I didn't follow through as I don't want to waste €30, so I can't say with 100 percent certainty that it isn't an issue for disc owners, but it seems to just be an issue for people that have the game digitally or who just want the PS4 Iki expansion.

Hmm does it prompt you to get the 30€ PS4 or PS5 upgrade though?

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm does it prompt you to get the 30€ PS4 or PS5 upgrade though?
Yes, all the way to the "remember to always input the disc"-step, at which point I noped out.

I still have the PS4 versions of games I have the PS5 upgrade for installing automatically every time I put in the disc. How have they not figured this out by now
It's a feature not a bug. It exists so there is an easy path for people that specifically want to install the PS4 version, if they ever claimed an upgrade. It's not actually installing, merely adding a PS4 icon to the dash where the install can be started. Remove the disc, the PS4 icon goes away too.

Last edited:

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Maybe Xbox Smart Delivery was just marketing buzzwords for actual real tech that Microsoft was working on to make the transition smooth for the end user. I still have the PS4 versions of games I have the PS5 upgrade for installing automatically every time I put in the disc. How have they not figured this out by now.

Smart Delivery was never a buzzword

It was "branding" for the tech that makes this process seamless

Spazerbeam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
It's a feature not a bug. It exists so there is an easy path for people that specifically want to install the PS4 version, if they ever claimed an upgrade. It's not actually installing, merely adding a PS4 icon to the dash where the install can be started. Remove the disc, the PS4 icon goes away too.
No it installs it as well. I have to uninstall the PS4 version every time even though I already have the PS5 version installed and redeemed the upgrade. I haven't turned my PS5 on in a while though so I don't know if that's still the case.

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
Sony digital rights management still broken the same way it was when the store launched on PS3?

If anyone had to go through the trouble with the FF7 Remake redemption to PS Plus you probably know how this is likely to go - multiple chats/emails/calls to support to fix something that should have been done without you thinking about it to begin with

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I already have directors cut, now I can't play this? The fuck am I supposed to do, have the entire game installed?

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Thanks good to know. Probably will hold off on redeeming this then. Haven't played the base game yet and would like to keep the option open of finding a cheap PS4 copy at some point and doing the DC upgrade from there (and not have to deal with contacting Sony or anything).

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
For those who don't realise, the PS5 Director's Cut includes the PS5 version of Legends, so if you're planning to get the PS5 Director's Cut upgrade then you won't need the PS+ version of Legends.

Secret Bambino

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 21, 2021
Oh, come on… wtf Sony

How do these things keep happening? This is like QA 101. Do they not test these kinds of scenarios? Do they just not care?

Situation might not be as bad
OP
OP
Skyfireblaze

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Alright well either Sony did something behind the scenes or it might really just apply to digital SKU owners. I inserted my GoT PS4 disc and had the upgrade prompt at the side, I could also advance all the way till the checkout screen. Either it errors out there or things might not be as bad as it seemed at first. I won't try as I don't feel like spending 30€ right now with so many other games to play 😅

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
If they can allow for multiple licenses to one SKU, I think it fix this issue.

All these games use the same digital Psn SKU, yet can only be tied to 1 license, with that solution your always going to run in to issues.

Apparently fixed!

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
Sony seem to have fixed this now so you don't need to do anything to be able to get the digital PS4 to PS5 upgrade.

I had a "thank you for your purchase" e-mail come through for "Ghost of Tsushima: Legends (Demo)", and now I can see the digital upgrade available to buy again and I can still download the PS+ PS5 version of legends.

OP
OP
Skyfireblaze

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Sony seem to have fixed this now so you don't need to do anything to be able to get the digital PS4 to PS5 upgrade.

I had a "thank you for your purchase" e-mail come through for "Ghost of Tsushima: Legends (Demo)", and now I can see the digital upgrade available to buy again and I can still download the PS+ PS5 version of legends.

Thanks for the heads-up, that's good to know!

OGM_Madness

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Dec 3, 2019
I have Ghost of Tsushima and don't have the DLC. Which is the correct upgrade to buy? The PS4 Upgrade for $19.99?

I have a PS5 and would like to play the best possible version of the game in PS5.