• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I'd make it so that Rare never left Nintendo. I love all their old IPs.

In this halcyon world we'd have:

- Banjo and Kazooie in Smash Bros.

- An actual Banjo-Threeie.

- Perfect Dark on Gamecube.

- Killer Instinct as Nintendo's other Fighting Game series.

- Dinosaur Planet wouldn't have had Star Fox characters tacked on and people would see that it's actually an awesome game.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i dunno, but it probably would have something to do with Sega

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Call of Duty 4 and its influence on RPG mechanics in everything. It's the worst.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I'd like it if everyone pushed back on paid online from the start and it went away before it ever started.

bdwnfn99

Oct 25, 2017
The Mother/EarthBound series finds commercial success and we still get new games in the series today

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Smack some sense in to Sega and their advertising / market planning circa the Saturn and Dreamcast. The latter especially deserved better.

Last edited:

ComputerBlue

Oct 25, 2017
People being okay with paying to play online on Xbox, or the idea of the paywall ever being thought of by anyone and introduced.

Oddhouse

Oct 31, 2017
Great question !

Microsoft to not have closed Lionhead. RIP.

EA not have taken over Bioware.

Loot boxes not to have become a game mechanic which alters gameplay decisions.

Crypto currencies not sent graphics cards prices sky high pushing up cost of gaming machines.

Console makers going with AMD who lag Nvidia.

cervanky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everything to do with Sega after like....1992. The Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast infighting nonsense...oof. So I'm not sure what singular event I'd change specifically...maybe for them to develop a Saturn that was more like the PlayStation, instead of what it was - a powerful 2D arcade machine forced into being 3D when it was apparent Nintendo and Sony were going all-in.

unagi

Oct 27, 2017
Respawn was bought by Microsoft, not by EA
The start of Xbox One, no TV TV TV, DRM and all Microsoft exclusives only on Xbox One
Cancellation of Scalebound

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
3DO dominates the 90s. releases the 3D0miNATION console years later to roaring success. panasonic buys out everybody, eventually MS. Plumbers Don't Wear Ties: Origins tops 2017 with 50 million units sold, not counting digital

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Delay the whole Konami vs Kojima event by 3 years.

So MGSV gets released in a finished state, Silent Hills never got cancelled and Death Stranding eventually still happens.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same thing I posted in the last version of this thread; Eliminate World of Warcraft

Not because WoW was a bad game, but because it snuffed out the potential of the genre just as it was starting to take off. Before WoW, MMOs were extremely different from one another and could have gone in any number of interesting directions, especially as high speed internet became more available. But after WoW everyone was chasing to copy their success and that still continues today, even all the years later; you have games that set out to be radically different regressing backwards and adding all sorts of WoW-isms (Guild Wars 2 being a prime example).

Good video about it here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvK8fua6O64

Deleted member 2099

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The ways in which women characters are portrayed, treated, misrepresented, not given equal treatment to men characters, change them from being sexualized/hypersexualized to being taken seriously, give them better and professional appearances, make them positive appealing for women instead of somehow someway ending up being tailored for men, stop the waifu culture, given women characters straight love stories just as how there are straight love stories for men characters(and don't take this as an attack for LGBT, not the point nor purpose of this message, please and thank you) and so much more in regards to this.

Plus what this user has said...

I've gone thrue my unfair share of online abuse from people, this is something I never want others to experience.

Last edited:

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I would switch the fates of Panzer Dragoon Saga with Final Fantasy VII. We'd all be playing Panzer Dragoon Saga IX right now and crying our hearts out yet again at the surprisingly-poignant fate of a laser-shooting dragon and his unlikely companion. This timeline sucks.

Personally, I'd make it so that Rare never left Nintendo
Rare were second-party devs. They weren't ever "with" Nintendo so much as they just kept making stuff for Nintendo consoles because they had a great partnership together. When Microsoft acquired them, then they were finally 'with' someone. And by/around that time, a significant portion of talent had left the studio, so it ended up being a not-so-great acquisition overall (with a few exceptions, of course, but overall...nah).

If Rare had continued to develop stuff for Nintendo it still would not measure up to the quality of their N64 output. A studio is only as good as its people, and quite a few people had been shuffled around during that time. We would still have gotten mediocre stuff like Nuts & Bolts and Perfect Dark Zero...but they'd have just been on Wii instead. I do kinda agree on the Dinosaur Planet point though.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I would make the IBM PC have a much more capable sound chip by default than terrible PC Speaker.

Check out other PCs like the Sharp X68000. It came with FM Synthesis standard, meaning every single game had a soundtrack that was at the very least awesome.

Or for more period appropriate PCs, look at the Commodore 64 or MSX, with their multichannel audio. Anything but the PC Speaker!

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I would've just wanted Dreamcast to find close to the same level of success that PlayStation 2 had. It wasn't so much a matter of winning or losing to me; I just think Dreamcast deserved a much longer life. It's a shame that the system ultimately failed to keep Sega afloat as a hardware company, because I honestly don't believe that Dreamcast made any bad decisions in relation to Dreamcast (aside from the copy protection not being so great). It was everything else from before (combined with the competition of PlayStation 2 and EA's lack of support) that hurt the system.

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
Sega didn't make a bunch of stupid mistakes or somehow Dreamcast made enough money to keep them around as a console developer.

Oct 28, 2017
I'd stop Nintendo from releasing the DS. A good system, but in the end it did too much harm to handheld gaming. PSP wouldn't have had a negative stigma to it, Sony would have dominated the handheld space, and in all likelihood it would have led to Vita being a runaway success.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I'd make it so that Rare never left Nintendo. I love all their old IPs.

In this halcyon world we'd have:

- Banjo and Kazooie in Smash Bros.

- An actual Banjo-Threeie.

- Perfect Dark on Gamecube.

- Killer Instinct as Nintendo's other Fighting Game series.

- Dinosaur Planet wouldn't have had Star Fox characters tacked on and people would see that it's actually an awesome game.
Agreed 100 percent. Losing Rare has been the biggest hit to the industry for me and I'd love for pre-Kinect Rare to make a comeback.

Obviously not going to happen on Nintendo but I'm fine with it happening on Xbox.