• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

If you game on Playstation or Switch, would you welcome a play anywhere initiative on the platforms?

• Yes

Votes: 321 67.7%
  • No

Votes: 153 32.3%

• Total voters

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
So I game mostly on Xbox but also on PC and having my games that were previously exclusive to xbox also available on PC is a great benefit to me (though the games I like to play on PC are different for instance: age of empires, tropico, the sims, football manager, commandos and other games, while on xbox I play fifa, nba and other gamepass games and games that have a playerbase on console) but what I've heard people say is that previous console exclusives being available on PC hurts console sales, I believe that would be the case for PC gamers who would never buy a console outside of exclusives, but not for console gamers, I've also heard people say that they like the feeling exclusive games bring to them (that they're being catered to in a way that is only shared by those who play on that platform and they like that feeling of exclusivity) and there are also those who say that exclusives push a single platform to its limits (though I believe this has changed recently but even then, PC would always best the best a console can do), now the benefits far outweighs the negatives in my mind since now all your exclusive games are playable on two platforms, you get more out of a single purchase.

I believe MS were the first to do this for a number of reasons, weak xbox one sales (not just hardware, exclusive games too), they have a history with PC that sony and nintendo don't have and also sony and nintendo being japanese companies have more of a japanese look on the video game market (obviously), that all being said I do believe a Sony and Nintendo PC store in the future is inevitable (streaming too for sony, not sure how nintendo would handle streaming though), where they sell their games on their store on PC, the question in this case would obviously be whether or not their stores would be tied in a way where you get the game on both platforms with a single purchase.

Now this question is less for PC gamers, since I imagine the answer would be yes for all of them, since they don't care about consoles anyways, this would also be a boost to sony and nintendo as they would get sales they wouldn't get otherwise from PC gamers (people who no matter how good your game is, would never buy your console, since they like PC benefits way too much).

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
PlayStation's Remote Play for PC works amazingly well for me so I'm happy with that service.
I know it's not the store OP wants, but it still achieves the same purpose.
I'm sure Sony will add some extra functionality to PSNow for PC in the future so I'm looking for that as well.

Oct 25, 2017
They're not going to sell their games on PC, it's not "inevitable".
They might transition to streaming platforms which would be on PC among others, tho.

Microsoft owns windows so it's a benefit to them no matter where you buy the games.

As for exclusives, PS4 and Switch are two of the fastest selling consoles. Most likely thanks to exclusives vs Xbox One which is doing fine now after a few rough years.
It's not great reasoning.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't use it, since the Switch covers the one use case where I might (running games anywhere in the house). No problem with it existing, though. What kind of brain worms would make someone not want extra features from the consumer perspective?

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Literally no reason not to want this.

None.

I own all platforms. I want to be able to play all my games whenever I want and on as many devices possible.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always appreciate more options, but Neither Nintendo or Sony release their console games on other platforms.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
That means I wouldn't need to buy a console for any of those games, is would be perfect for me.

So yes, I'd welcome that sort of thing, but it's not happening any time soon.

Not to mention Nintendo and Sony would likely make their own launchers and we don't need more of those.

OP
OP
Marano

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
PlayStation's Remote Play for PC works amazingly well for me, so I'm happy with that service.
I know it's not the store OP wants, but it still achieves the same purpose.
For me a Nintendo or Sony store on PC would be good but I'm not the target audience I don't think since I'm fine playing on consoles (I've had sony, nintendo, sega and MS consoles in the past), I meant more the people who no matter how great your games are, will never buy a console for them, the benefit for me would be, being able to play my console games on PC too and that is awesome, at least for me.

Edit: Meant to say they wouldn't get extra money from me as I'm fine buying games on consoles and playing them there, but more so they would get a lot of extra money from people who game on PC only who for no matter how good the game is, would never buy a console and play there.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sure, why not?

I guess it'd be a bit redundant on Switch considering it's a hybrid console with portable functionality but there really isn't a downside so yeah, why not

Oct 27, 2017
That would mean less console sales and more work on exclusives.

I would certainly use it if it did happen and I had a good pc but I doubt Sony or Nintendo would do this. The games are made exclusively for the hardware they are on and some effects are designed that way because of the limitations of the hardware.

OP
OP
Marano

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
well yes it would be nice but i disagree with you here

i don't think this will happen
Next gen I think sony at least will have more of a focus on streaming with PSNOW on PC and other devices (of course VR too), I think a PC store is a natural end goal for Sony, now Nintendo admitedly play by their own rules and I'm not even sure how they would do streaming (partnering with Amazon maybe?) and a PC store from Nintendo I think might be further out than sony but eventually I think they'll have one too.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I don't know how to answer this because not even 100% of Xbox games are Play Anywhere titles. If Sony or Nintendo were to do this, then I would expect their whole catalog to be on the service day one. So I voted "No" on this poll.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hell yes! Though I'm not quite sure why Nintendo is lumped into this when Switch is the "Play Anywhere" system.

I'm honestly hoping that next-gen focuses hard on letting me use cloud saves to play games whenever/wherever. It's nice to play stuff at home on my big TV with a decent sound system, but I just legitimately don't have time to play everything I want to that way.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Can we get a "don't care/doesn't matter to me" option.

If it's there I may use it at some point, but I personally don't have a hard enough opinion to care about.

I mean I think I tried remote play on my vita less than five times

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
The less $400 boxes I have to buy, the better. In an ideal world there would be no exclusives and I could just play all my games on the same device.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Now this question is less for PC gamers, since I imagine the answer would be yes for all of them, since they don't care about consoles anyways, this would also be a boost to sony and nintendo as they would get sales they wouldn't get otherwise from PC gamers (people who no matter how good your game is, would never buy your console, since they like PC benefits way too much).

For Nintendo and Sony I heavily doubt it's worth bringing their games to competitors systems.

Microsoft has a big finger in the pc pie that neither Nintendo or Sony do with windows. And while Microsoft's attempts at pc stores haven't been great, they still benefit from you using a pc running a copy of windows 10 instead of a Mac or Linux machine.

The exclusives are there to bring people to your system so they buy more games there, not just the ones you produce, but so you can get those sweet licensing fees from third parties using your platform.

OP
OP
Marano

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Well, I don't know how to answer this because not even 100% of Xbox games are Play Anywhere titles. If Sony or Nintendo were to do this, then I would expect their whole catalog to be on the service day one. So I voted "No" on this poll.
By their whole catalague you mean the games they publish right? Because there's just simply no way sony and nintendo could mandate third parties have their games be available on their pc store too and available to anyone who purchases them on console free of charge, that is just not the industry standard nowadays, though I admitedly that could change in the future.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
play anywhere works b/c MS makes money from the PC ecosystem. nintendo and sony do not. so it would make zero business sense for them to do so. they want people to buy their boxes, and theyre good at getting them to do that

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
If only I could find a way to... bring my Nintendo Switch wherever I went... and play games on the go...

That's impossible though, you're right.

If only I could find a way to... bring my Nintendo Switch wherever I went... and play games on the go...

That's impossible though, you're right.

Yes, because everyone is sure to remember to take their Switch with them when they leave in the morning. Don't be an ass.

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
A Switch owner can literally play anywhere in the very literal sense, so...probably don't need a service. Technically, you can remote play your PS4 games to a Vita or a PC, in addition to having used cross-buy (i.e. "Play Anywhere") for several titles in the past.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Why wouldn't you want it?

It could only be a matter of not wanting to see those exclusives running on a different machine.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Of course, I honestly can't understand the mind of anyone who doesn't want their library to be as accessible as possible.

OP
OP
Marano

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
So ITT I see two groups of people:

1 - People who say it would be great and are baffled by anyone who doesn't want it.

2- People who might want it, but say it doesn't make financial/business sense for Sony and Nintendo.

While I can understand thinking 2, I'm looking at it more from the perspective of the consumer and not the company, so I side more with people on the first group.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
By their whole catalague you mean the games they publish right? Because there's just simply no way sony and nintendo could mandate third parties have their games be available on their pc store too and available to anyone who purchases them on console free of charge, that is just not the industry standard nowadays, though I admitedly that could change in the future.

Correct. I mean the games that they publish. The Play Anywhere initiative has been around since 2014? (I might be wrong). Fact is that not all 100% Xbox games are Play Anywhere on the service and lately it seems like there is no real recognition of it still existing. Now if this is because their games aren't making a splash is one thing, but you still don't have all Forza games or Halo games on there. The only third party game I can think of is Rise of the Tomb Raider that has it, but it feels piss poor. So no, I don't want another publisher doing it unless all of their content is on it. I also would say it would depend on if you are talking about Streaming vs a storefront client.

Having a dedicated PS Store on PC, for example, that played all PS4 games on there would be ideal, but if its going to a PS store client where you only play "select" games as play anywhere, then its redundant. At least PS store has some games that are cross-buy (1st & 3rd) party within the PS ecosystem (PS4/PS3/Vita). It would be nice if that follows through to PS5 as well, but if you are gonna want that on PC, then I would expect those cross-buy games to work on PC.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So ITT I see two groups of people:

1 - People who say it would be great and are baffled by anyone who doesn't want it.

2- People who might want it, but say it doesn't make financial/business sense for Sony and Nintendo.

While I can understand thinking 2, I'm looking at it more from the perspective of the consumer and not the company, so I side more with people on the first group.

You forgot to ask if publishers are interested.