• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
> miles morales

literal trash open world. arkham knight has a way better open world for a super hero game

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't get the love for #1 even as a huge fan of that series. That game is so hard to go back to, so many people have done better open world since then.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
I dunno about GTAV above RDR2. Los Santos was impressive as hell, especially in 2013, but RDR2 was unbelievable and still unrivalled in many ways.

YMMV with the aesthetic, I guess.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Miles Morales? I mean it's a great game, with an incredible traversal system but it's not exactly the bastion of open-world games.

sazz

Aug 3, 2020
London, UK
MGS V is a bit weird, I love the game because it has like the best gameplay ever and it's just a huge sandbox but the world is so barren and boring to go around

smart patrol

Oct 27, 2017
There's no way MGSV's open world is better than RDR1 or any of the earlier GTA games.

Edit: thread title is misleading

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
I agree with 9/10 of those. My ranking may vary slightly but its a good list. BotW is the only one I continue to not understand the love for. I found it incredibly boring.

Edit: I guess thinking about it, MGSV shouldn't be up there either IMO.

Makeno

Dec 4, 2018
I'd put the OG Crackdown on that list before MGSV tbh, definitely put Cyberpunk's world there too.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man? Are they serious? Also, personally I'd put Assassin's Creed Origins in there. One of my favorites.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I actually think MGSV would have been a better game had it been "open area" like Ground Zeroes, but maybe that's just me.

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
Hard to disagree with #1. I will say that Horizon FW is my favorite so far to just bask in. It really feels like you are in a beautiful place.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
No way I could ever put Witcher 3 world over GTA and Red Dead 2, the Witcher world just feels like an animatronic theme park, nothing changes.

Edit: Thought it was just the world rather than the game... My personal preference is I still prefer those games over Witcher 3 but I can definitely see why it would be above those now.

sazz

Aug 3, 2020
London, UK
Quite funnily, the top 7 (bar Elden Ring and kinda the witcher) are games I barely care about and could never finish no matter how much I tried

Maybe one day Rockstar games will actually feel good to play for me

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, the thread title is wrong.

I was about to take exception to some of these as I find their open worlds to be subpar (Forbidden West) but do find them to be great games.

I mean, if we are talking open worlds it is shocking how bad the world itself is in so many open world games.

Also, I take exception to games like Morrowind and Daggerfall being missing from this list as those titles epitomized the nascent open world RPG and frankly to this day feel like the closest precursors to what Breath of the Wild and Elden Ring are going for - true sandboxes.

To me, there are two types of "open world" games:

1) Games where the world is truly open and about discovery - finding hidden missions, hidden narrative elements, hidden gear that feels organic and lived in where you will miss much of the game on your first playthrough. These come from the Elder Scrolls sort of world building.

2) Games where the open world is a giant hub - This is the vast vast majority of open world games. HUD markers, auto-navigation, etc. where the game really isn't encouraging much exploration other than happening upon random encounters or side-content. In my opinion these games are really not about the open world - they are very on rails games that just have open sandboxes that you move through to get to the next on-rails section of content.

I far prefer the first and wish more game in the second category would ditch the open world.

Oct 25, 2017
Trash list. BoTW as #1, Elden Ring at #5, and Morrowind missing are just a few of the glaring issues. Can't believe someone got paid to churn out this "expert opinion".

WeWereGiants

Nov 8, 2017
Oh wow. I was able to nab a local copy of this one yesterday. Happy I did since it's value is skyrocketing since Nintendo announced the store closures.

Can't wait to play it.

I'd highly recommend installing it and downloading the faster loading add on (it's free) before the store closes, the Wii U has a fun time loading the game without the add on.

It takes a while for the world to fully open up to you but when it does it's one of the coolest experiences in gaming

nath999

May 7, 2018
I knew Zelda was going to be #1 but Elden Ring, RDR2, GTAV are all better open world games IMO.

JimJamJones

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miles and MGS V? Those are... choices.

I'd dump those and add Xenoblade X and probably Morrowind.

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
That opening shot of the white mini TV is like my channel's signature. I wonder if someone at IGN has seen it.

Edit: for reference:

Me:
zelda2.png

IGN:

I had contacted IGN ~5 months ago looking to see if I might be able to try some freelance work and linked some of my videos but never heard anything back. Maybe I'm being over-suspicious, but seeing this was really bizarre to me.

Last edited:

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Also - I don't know how you make this list without a single AC game on it. Like the Ubisoft model of towers + map filled with shit or not they created that implementation which completely dominates the genre. AC2 is the game that created the template.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Some of my favorites are on this list so not complaining (Rockstar games - even if their gameplay sucks to me, Skyrim, Witcher 3)

Also - I don't know how you make this list without a single AC game on it. Like the Ubisoft model of towers + map filled with shit or not they created that implementation which completely dominates the genre. AC2 is the game that created the template.

Agreed, but hardcore gamers (tm) collectively agreed that their open worlds are for casuals

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's a great list except for MGS V. That game's actual open world isn't anything special.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Miles at 10 feels a little high. I definitely dig the vibes his story offered, but the only thing it really did differently than Spiderman PS4 was it has snow.

I love snow as much as the next guy, but the map and world felt more alive during Spiderman PS4 to me.

But that's a minor gripe. Good list otherwise.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin

Agreed. Swap out MGSV with Black Flag, or even Unity/Syndicate and this list improved to me.