Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man, wound meet salt. I'm so sorry for these people.

I see this and I'm convinced that Fallout 76 and ESO never would've been able to bounce back had these games been made under Microsoft. They would have pulled the plug instantly.

View: https://twitter.com/bogorad222/status/1771718929393528975

These tweets I really liked today that related

View: https://x.com/JonComms/status/1787850020596654409

View: https://x.com/Cromwelp/status/1787843781468766224

View: https://x.com/drjclau/status/1787879206149636503

So much of BIG GAMING is focused on the short term..
Not realizing that the greatest strength comes from letting things grow.

That lack of commitment on a corporate level is infuriating and creatively ruinous. Particularly when you're the biggest fucking company in the world.

Oct 27, 2017
Simply Pathetic I can't even imagine how those workers feel right now knowing they were so close to such a huge milestone. Like what harm could be done waiting a couple more weeks?

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
These tweets I really liked today that related

View: https://x.com/JonComms/status/1787850020596654409

View: https://x.com/Cromwelp/status/1787843781468766224

View: https://x.com/drjclau/status/1787879206149636503

So much of BIG GAMING is focused on the short term..
Not realizing that the greatest strength comes from letting things grow.

There is no short term any more when big budget games take 4 years to make or a thousand people to get it the door on time.

It's all ridiculous and sad. It makes Nintendo's snail pace internal growth make some sense as maddening as it is.

This redfall patch is curious to me. How few people were working on it that they couldn't get an offline patch out the door in 18 months alongside the 60fps one? It feels like the DLC was never being worked on and they made the decision to have to announce it was all dead because they knew this was coming. Bethesda must have gotten the order to cut x amount of staff along with everyone else at MS a year ago

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Well yeah, current Microsoft is a different thing
Great! You're getting it! We're talking about current Microsoft here!! The same Microsoft myopically focused on short-term gains at the cost of everything else. A Fallout 76 tier disaster (or a SoT, or MCC for that matter) in the current day would never be given any space to grow and come into its own which was the point I was making in the first place! We're seeing it right now with the game in question in the thread you're posting in!!! Read!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Talk about adding insult to injury. Put a development studio on a project that they didn't even want to make in the first place, drive away a whole bunch of talent in the process, release it in a state where it's critically and commercially panned, and then shutter the studio right when they're on the verge of providing a crucial update.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here

EvaUnit787

Aug 6, 2023
I honestly have lost hope in MS. I really want Fable to be great, but it wouldn't surprise me if we see another round of cancellations like they've had every gen.

I have been with them every gen, day 1, but they just don't have the games and moves like this kill them for me. Arkane is a top 3 studio for me. Redfall sucked and it was a dud, but I didn't expect them to go through this.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if you will see this more in the future? they will toss some fun tokens at you instead of holding up their part of the deal

Nyaghoggua

Apr 3, 2024
However, the offline mode failed to materialize. IGN understands Redfall's May update would have added the ability to play offline, which in turn would have helped with keeping the game alive in the future. Unfortunately for players, it will never see the light of day.
"Preservation is important to us and we're putting together a team" Microsoft can go fuck themselves. It was in its final month of development for Christ's sake. The steam depots were active nearly every day since November.

I was and still remain a firm believer in that Redfall was a single update away from being perfectly playable. If that update would have included the characters that I was entitled to as a Bite Edition owner then all the better.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
They had an extra year after launch and a game delay to get the game where they wanted, eventually you have to cut your losses. Sucks all around.

I mean, yea you have to cut your losses at some point. That some point probably shouldn't be literally weeks before potentially making good on both DLC content they sold to people ahead of time, and before an update that would let everyone that paid their money for the game to continue to play it offline. This isn't really an unavoidable situation. Nobody's saying they needed to be granted A Realm Reborn type resources here.

Both games from premier studios back when they only had five internal studios. Feels like you're ignoring this crucial piece of context. They've done it before yes, but current Microsoft will not give every game that same grace knowing there's two dozen or so studios that are ready to pick up the slack. We're seeing this as we speak with Redfall. Why not give Austin, one of their most prestigious and beloved studios the opportunity to turn the tides?

Honestly the key context being ignored is the relative levels of failure of the something like Redfall (and recently Suicide Squad) compared to the likes of ESO, MCC, Fallout 76 and Sea of Thieves. The games that were given the chance to redeem themselves were because they held enough of a playerbase that it was believed that they could be resuscitated. Nothing was bringing Redfall's audience back... but that still doesn't mean they're justified in killing it off at this time in this way. What's more damning is that in Xbox's case they're a 1st party, and so the same call is comparatively worse than for a 3rd party publisher.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
Great! You're getting it! We're talking about current Microsoft here!! The same Microsoft myopically focused on short-term gains at the cost of everything else. A Fallout 76 tier disaster (or a SoT, or MCC for that matter) in the current day would never be given any space to grow and come into its own which was the point I was making in the first place! We're seeing it right now with the game in question in the thread you're posting in!!! Read!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Does Halo Infinite not count in this equation? Or was that still not current Microsoft because it happened 3 years ago?

Lui

Sep 22, 2022
Does Halo Infinite not count in this equation? Or was that still not current Microsoft because it happened 3 years ago?
I mean Xbox has basically already started to sunset Halo Infinite if you've been paying attention to its updates. It doesn't even get seasonal updates anymore.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
They couldn't even let the team finish their work before closing the studio? Ghouls.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
I mean Xbox has basically already started to sunset Halo Infinite if you've been paying attention to its updates. It doesn't even get seasonal updates anymore.
i feel like they keep it around because it would be fucking embarrassing for them to shelve it, at least without a new halo announced and on the way

BourbonAFC

Oct 26, 2017
Lmao wow. Didn't even let them finish the highly requested update that would future proof the game. Phil really sticking to his word on making it right after a horrid release. What an asshole.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
I'm of two minds here:

1) I feel for those who have lost their jobs, and it's awful to lose all those studios
2) Any time/money spent on Redfall feels like a GIGANTIC waste

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I can't believe people like Phil Spencer get to keep their jobs after this absolute shitshow and so many talented people are now out of a job.

This sucks.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

i feel like they keep it around because it would be fucking embarrassing for them to shelve it, at least without a new halo announced and on the way

While this isn't the Halo thread, it basically is being sunsetted. They won't outright say that just because it's Halo but you're going to see more of a Halo 5 approach to it. Where it just focuses on Forge content in the playlists and maybe some lighter updates here and there.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
I mean, yea you have to cut your losses at some point. That some point probably shouldn't be literally weeks before potentially making good on both DLC content they sold to people ahead of time, and before an update that would let everyone that paid their money for the game to continue to play it offline. This isn't really an unavoidable situation. Nobody's saying they needed to be granted A Realm Reborn type resources here.

The DLC was planned for Halloween, not May, per the article. But I agree with the general point that an Offline mode should've happened.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Just release the offline mode what the hell man
for real, this is what the one guy was talking about with The Crew

at least make it offline so people who bought the game can still have access to it when you eventually decide to drop support

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
A company "worth " 3 trillion USD closing companies? Sucks for all the studios closed and all the potential wasted. :(

Godai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
for real, this is what the one guy was talking about with The Crew

at least make it offline so people who bought the game can still have access to it when you eventually decide to drop support

Is it unreasonable to think that the big wigs didn't even know before just shitcanning the game and studio...? Something tells me NO.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Is it unreasonable to think that the big wigs didn't even know before just shitcanning the game and studio...? Something tells me NO.
im sure they knew it still had support teams working on stuff, they prob didnt know the specifics

i imagine they got bulletpoints from bethesda management

mikhailt

Aug 30, 2019
Did MS just wait for Sony to fuck up big time, so their fuckups today would look less painful? Because it ain't going to work.

FUMS.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Almost sounds like this big update was just busywork for the studio until they get closed.

I don't believe that Xbox expected the game to be turned around, i believe it was already dead for Xbox.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I am so glad I got a refund for redfall after five minutes of playing it. But I would be so mad at the unreleased characters. And MS is never going to make good on that in any fashion. They know people will just give up on caring. They should extend refunds but there's no accountability.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
"We're all about preservation!"
Cancels offline patch for online only game.
Yep, checks out!
When will people learn that all the pr speak from MS is just that, pr speak. They don't really care.
If they did they wouldn't do what they just did and remember they made the last Forza online only too.

Updating Redfall was probably a waste of time tbh. But the studio should have been allowed to move on and make something else.
Making a online only game playable offline in the opposite of wasted time.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm one of the rare ones that liked Redfall, but offline play wasn't the issue. The horrible optimization was foremost an issue, especially at launch. I went back a few times to check out the updates but gave up.

I think they had an opportunity to make the game great but they almost completely silent for months at a time. So I stopped waiting and gave up.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
The DLC was planned for Halloween, not May, per the article. But I agree with the general point that an Offline mode should've happened.

Ah fair enough. Yea, the general point is that it wasn't a case of and endless vague target. They had a concrete target that they could have reached before shutting the whole thing down, especially given they had publicly pledged and sold some of that commitment to the playerbase.

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
I see that they were "close" to a big update, but that begs the question: what the fuck they been doing for a whole year?

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
The timing of all this makes absolutely no sense to me. Why not let them finish the work? You're a three-fucking-trillion dollar company.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I see that they were "close" to a big update, but that begs the question: what the fuck they been doing for a whole year?
Making the original release work lol. On top of it being the mess it is now, it released in the worst state. First they had to fix it and THE then make the dlc/offline mode, but I'm sure it was a skeleton crew after the failure it came out as.