• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Blizzard has announced it will not hold its annual BlizzCon event in 2024, but promised the event will return in future years.

In a statement to press, Blizzard failed to share the reason for the cancellation of the event, though it said the decision was "not made lightly." Additionally, the company plans to participate in other industry events throughout the year instead:

Over the next few months, we'll be sharing more details about our launches coming later this year, including World of Warcraft: The War Within and Diablo IV's first expansion, Vessel of Hatred. To celebrate these upcoming releases and to bring our communities together in new and special ways, we will soon share some exciting plans for other industry trade shows and conventions like Gamescom. We can't wait to tell you more about those plans soon. We're also looking forward to the Overwatch Champions Series' stops at both Dreamhack Dallas and Dreamhack Stockholm. And we're thrilled to be planning multiple, global, in-person events to commemorate the 30th anniversary of Warcraft, which will be held in addition to the in-game celebrations across our Warcraft games throughout 2024. While these events are distinct from BlizzCon, we're harnessing all of our creativity and imagination to ensure that they carry the same spirit of celebration and togetherness.
This news comes just as BlizzCon was getting back on its feet. The event was fully canceled in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, then returned briefly as a digital show in 2021 before going on hiatus again in 2022. Last year, BlizzCon was held again in-person for the first time in four years.
More here:
www.ign.com

Blizzard Cancels BlizzCon 2024, Promises Return in Future Years - IGN

Blizzard has announced today that it will not be holding its annual BlizzCon event in 2024, but promises the event will make a return in future years.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Makes sense. They wouldn't have much to show at this time except for WoW expansion.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
assuming they were banking on the survival game reveal to be the centerpiece of the show it would make sense not to do it this year with nothing else to fill that void

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I don't get why they don't do a digital only event one year to showcase all the big announcements for their various games and a in-person big event every other year to gather the fans and do big unveilings

Then again some of their announcements are in the MSFT slates now maybe?

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I was off by a year.

But yeah this tracks with the current shrink of in person physical marketing.

reksveks

May 17, 2022
"Hey guys, here's videos of stuff that we have already announced and/or released" would be funny to watch but probably not going down well.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I don't get why they don't do a digital only event one year to showcase all the big announcements for their various games and a in-person big event every other year to gather the fans and do big unveilings
Contracts for large venues that can hold huge amounts of people are very expensive and generally have to be signed for multiple years. Most places won't let you alternate.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense. They wouldn't have much to show at this time except for WoW expansion.
Yeah, there's no point if they can't show anything new.
Yeah, but BlizzCon was always meant to be a gathering of Blizzard game fans and communities. The reveals were secondary. It's kind of a bummer. I know families (plural) that started with community members in different Blizzard games meeting each other in real life at BlizzCon.

I don't know why I keep holding on to hope that there's still some tiny bit of magic left at Blizzard, but I do, and it's always a kick in the balls when they show me otherwise…

Tommy Showbiz

Jul 20, 2022
Well, yeah lol

They already announced all 3 WoW expansions and the D4 one and canceled the only game that would warrant actually holding a big to event

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
Makes sense when a bunch of the people who organized Blizzcon back in the day are no longer with the company.

Glad I went last year, but it was similar to E3 in that it felt like a shell of its former self.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If I recall correctly last year the announcements were already pretty slim. Better to only do this when they actually have something

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Last year was one of the best weeks of my life, but that had far more to do with seeing everyone again for the first time since 2019. It's always been incredibly important to me, socially, and the thought of being bereft of that - again - kind of breaks my heart.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I felt last years was p slim outside WoW going all in. So makes sense they wanna not do it on a year where they have probably even less to show.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
Live events are expensive as fuck and I'm sure Blizzcon especially is not cheap. Showing up to announce nothing bigger than a seasonal patch for each game also doesnt exactly sound compelling. I know a lot of people like going just for the social/experience aspect and hopefully they find a way to hold it with an emphasis on that in the future w/o requiring it be a full "Blizzard E3"-like production with marquee announcements.

Skai

Oct 27, 2017
There's really not much to show this year.

I'm guessing in 2025 they'll be one for the new wow Xpac after TWW.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
That makes sense. The dream of blizzcon being a big community hangout in off-years is long over. The whole thing is barely worth doing at all anymore.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Time to revive StarCraft, if your ip is barebone, blizzard.
I don't think that'd work either. The people who made those games are long gone. The real question is, are there still people at Blizzard who have a Passion regarding anything in blizzards library?

Blizzard needs new ideas like whoa. And they need them yesterday.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
That makes sense. The dream of blizzcon being a big community hangout in off-years is long over. The whole thing is barely worth doing at all anymore.
It's the issue with conventions in general, despite the pandemic being over they're not back yet. New York Comic Con used to have these awesome as hell free parties sponsored by HBO or NBC or whatever to show off their latest show and there hasn't been a single once since 2019.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
That was unexpected. I know a few streamers who were planning to go this year.

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully skipping 2024 means they'll be able to go back to the drawing board for their future shows and fix the problems, because I found the one last year to be pretty disappointing. And not even because of the announcements, I was there for WoW mostly and there was plenty of exciting WoW stuff. It was the way the show was organized and what they had setup to do which were the big problems IMO.

I don't want it to go away forever though. Blizzcon is a lot of fun and when they do it right it makes for an amazing weekend. So hopefully it comes back better than ever when it does.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
That doesn't make any sense. They're releasing a WoW expansion in the fall and then another one a year later. It's also the 20th anniversary of WoW.

It feels like Microsoft is gonna ruin that company.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Thanks for the laugh
🫡 anytime, I know it wasn't going to happen. Mega copium.

Seeing some very large streamers this season in particular and last regarding bringing back 6v6. Putting aside how unbalanced and horrible 5v5 has been, the queue times this season has been exponentially worse, across ALL RANKS, with the wide grouping. Been seeing queue times personally over 10 minutes and even had one that lasted 20 minutes. Saw some pros waiting for over a hour. Queue times were the entire main argument why 6v6 had to go and yet they are worse than they have ever been in OW1.

Seagull returned to OW2 last week and played tank for three games and was about to go insane and was begging his group to switch roles or he was going to quit playing.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Given the layoffs, I imagine they're probably still in that period of figuring out where they need to focus their resources. Spending months on planning and millions for a convention probably aren't worth it at this point.

Corran Horn

Oct 25, 2017
That sucks. Been awhile but I did enjoying back in the SC2 days. Didn't even care for the announcements. Was fun to watch the tournaments and random talks about aspects of games from Devs.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
From what I read of the previous one in terms of the event space and organization it was an absolute mess for attendees.

I know Microsoft wants to be hands off but maybe they can put some time and money into the event so fans can have a good time.

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
I remember reading they struggled to sell out last year's
Oh they sold, they just kept selling them throughout the event last year. It was a complete shit show being there in person that the fire marshalls had to get involved with the amount of people crowding the WarCraft area.

Hopefully 2025 ends up being better and with a different team involved in mapping out the event. Last year was really sparse with stuff to do.