• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like this is coming along well.

IGN said:
But it was the acquisition of a knife and balisard that really sent the cockles of my heart racing into high gear. Armed with these fast-striking point blank weapons and her agile move set, Miriam practically became an early game version of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night's Alucard. My actions began to take on a muscle memory fidelity, an instant sensation of familiarity that shouldn't be possible in a game that's nominally the first in a series. The experience was, quite frankly, awesome, and an internal confirmation that this is the Castlevania I know and love.
IGN said:
My playthrough featured two bosses, the gigantic sea creature that appears at the climax of previous demos, and an entirely new enemy, a katana-wielding humanoid warrior who taunted me before kicking off a stirring test of agility. Beating him requited me to use swift reflexes to avoid his quick, far-reaching attacks, and I also found myself switching weapons mid-battle from ranged guns to close combat knives because my pistol shots appeared to do less damage as the battle wore on. Eventually, my foe's sword spouted flame as he leapt around the screen threatening to immolate me, as I sprang away and countered with giant-elemental-god-tentacle-magic attacks of some kind. The fight (which took me four tries to win) was intense, rewarding, and refreshingly Castlevania.
IGN said:
I've seen enough of Ritual of the Night now to feel very hopeful that this isn't another Mighty Number 9 situation. The feel and pacing of the game, the vast selection of customization options, and the attention to thoughtful design convince me that the creators have a deep philosophical understanding of what makes the best Castlevania games great. I feel good about this one.
Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/06...s-the-castlevania-game-youve-been-waiting-for

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
I did the kickstarter for a lot of money the second I heard this was a thing. I really hope the team comes through in spectacular fashion.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've said it before, I'll say it again: IGA knows what he's doing, he's been doing it for well over a decade. This isn't even remotely going to be a MN9 situation, and I don't understand why people thought it would.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
From the beginning it was never going to be a MN9 situation, IGA is a designer and Inafune was a business suit.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Hell knows Konami won't give us what we want.

Castlevania is dead. Long live Bloodstained.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
One of the games I'm looking the most forward to. Glad to hear it's coming along great!

MN9 comparisons will never die though. Ever.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Hype increasing .Really looking forward to it.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
so, uhh, is this game has been released or not?

There have been 2 games tied to this Kickstarter.
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is the main project. The IGA-led Metroidvania. That is the upcoming release, and the one that is being talked about here. It'll be 2.5D.
And then there's Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon. That was a side project by a different development team, spawning out of a Kickstarter Strech Goal, utilizing an 8-Bit art style and the gameplay is reminiscent of the classic Castlevania games for the NES. That was the game that recently got released, as well.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I do think the visuals are going to remain a bit sketchy, but it otherwise seems like they are getting everything else right.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't doubt it's as good as an IGAvania as any other he's made.
Can't wait til it's out. It's been too damn long.

And no, no other "Metroidvania" fills the void left by his games. No one has made one like his yet.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Awesome to read a strong reassurance of the game's quality. Can't wait!

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
Bloodstained 2 (3?) is gonna blow some socks off. This one had a Rocky development start which is why graphics are not, and won't be, the best.

But the next one might be SOTN tier.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
I don't doubt it's as good as an IGAvania as any other he's made.
Can't wait til it's out. It's been too damn long.

And no, no other "Metroidvania" fills the void left by his games. No one has made one like his yet.
That's because we've been privy to its existence since the concept stage. Usually that part of development is hidden from the consumer until the company feels ready to release an announcement. This is a "problem" with any kickstarted game being made from scratch and always will be, the "illusion" of longer dev times when we're so used to experiencing only half the wait time. Unless it's Square-Enix, lol.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think MN9 in general just made people more wary of kickstarters.

There was no reason to, though, considering how Bloodstained's campaign has been going.
IGA is a designer/director (and also used to be a coder), and he's very hands-on.
This Kickstarter has been updated regularly, and every update that showed gameplay was a clear step up from previous footage.
Backers have been given an early Alpha build in order to give feedback.
The art style is retained between concept art and game, and has been notably improving.
Every additional mechanic or option they've showed off clearly indicated they're putting a lot of thought into it.
There was no delays past the very first one, which was announced fairly early on, and after the Kickstarter achieved every single stretch goal, so it made sense.
The side game has been released recently and turned out to be really damn good and successful (backer code issues aside, which was mainly because of Inti deciding to announce the release last minute).

A healthy dose of skepticism is perfectly valid, but every discussion I've seen about Bloodstained was nothing but doom and gloom about how this game is going to be literally exactly like MN9, and how it's gonna be shit.

JunkerWoland

Jun 8, 2018
Igarashi probably has the best chance of delivering what I'm looking for in a SotN-style game, but while the previous demo felt OK, I'm still fairly blase about the whole thing. Hopefully the forthcoming streams and backer demo will show a game that in the last year has really coalesced.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I think MN9 in general just made people more wary of kickstarters.
Which is a shame. Kickstarter gave us a lot of good games we may have never gotten otherwise and probably will continue to in the future.

Sucks when things don't work out for one reason or another but I think its proven it's worth over time despite the issues.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Bloodstained 2 (3?) is gonna blow some socks off. This one had a Rocky development start which is why graphics are not, and won't be, the best.

But the next one might be SOTN tier.
I'm pretty sure this'll still be a pretty great metroidvania at the end of the day.

But if a potential sequel reaches SOTN or Aria of Sorrow tier... damn.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not getting my hopes too high on this one. The visuals aren't my cup of tea at all, and pre-release impressions of Yooka-Laylee were the exact same as this. I hope it lives up to the potential!

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Curse of the moon is a phenomenal game in itself. It gave me a lot more hope for the main game. Consider me hyped!

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
There's been no gameplay of this e3 showing yet huh? Really can't wait to see how this is looking. Pretty sure the demo comes out soo enough though

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
I'm pretty sure this'll still be a pretty great metroidvania at the end of the day.

But if a potential sequel reaches SOTN or Aria of Sorrow tier... damn.
You see, IGA was one of the few high profile Japanese devs that DID Not go through the growing pains of HD development. Hell, he barely went through the ps2 gen.

So this Bloodstained is more or less his crash course on modern development. Mistakes were made, but lessons were learned.

Lets see what the future brings.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
Nice to see two potentially great games were made through this Kickstarter campaign. Refreshing to say the least with some of the hyped Kickstarter duds in recent years.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Question for castlevania fans: If I want to get into the series before this releases, what should I play first? What are the must-play Castlevania games?

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I threw so much money at this and never once was worried about how it was being handled.

I think we had more updates from IGA in the first year than Inafune ever gave us during production of MN9.

The 8-bit game B:CotM was wonderful and just FELT good. This is going to be one for the ages; the sequel will be even better. (THERE BETTER BE A SEQUEL)

Question for castlevania fans: If I want to get into the series before this releases, what should I play first? What are the must-play Castlevania games?

I'd say Rondo Of Blood, Symphony of the Night, Dawn Of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, and Order Of Ecclesia. Yes, I know, it's a lot, but they are all great and worth playing.