Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
www.ign.com

PlayStation Officially Acquires Bluepoint Games, Next Game Planned to Be an Original, Not a Remake - IGN

Sony has acquired another studio, one it's worked closely with for many years, Bluepoint Games. Bluepoint's president, Marco Thrush, and Head of PlayStation Studios, Hermen Hulst, discuss the acquisition, Bluepoint's future games, and more.

Demon's Souls only released last November, and while Bluepoint isn't officially announcing its next game, Bluepoint President Marco Thrush explained that the studio is aiming to work on original content going forward.

"Our next project, we're working on original content right now. We can't talk about what that is, but that's the next step in the evolution for us," Thrush said, noting that, even with remakes like Shadow and Souls, the studio was already partially creating original content. He explained how, really, the growth of the studio, both in the literal number of employees as well as types of projects, naturally leads to this next step, especially given the team's pedigree.

Meta

"This guy are sick"
Oct 29, 2017
Excellent news. Glad that they're not stuck doing remakes and remasters for all eternity.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, time to see what they're actually made of. I have no expectations, so we'll see what happens.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
This is actually super exciting. Let's see what they've learned from From (no pun intended!)

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see more remakes from them but it is about time for them to take a shot at an original IP.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like someone said in the other thread

Original content != new IP.

It could perfectly be a new entry in an existing IP.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Damn. I actually was very happy with the idea that they would have one studio remaking classic games. They've done amazing work in that regard. I'm sure many people here will be happy, but i'm actually very disappointed with this.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Good. Hope it's a new IP. Need to see how they hold up when they aren't remastering/remaking classics.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Cool. Doesn't rule out a new game in an existing series but them being able to create something of their own is great. I don't see it being Demons and Bloodborne related unless they specifically get Miyazaki to do the story.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Interested to see what they come up with, and what direction their art design takes.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Should have commissioned an original game before buying them, at least to see if they're capable.

What if they fuck this up? Go back to remastering existing games?

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Good, they've caused enough damage.
XD

While I do think they generally do good work, I think they have this knack for missing small details when remaking games. I don't believe this has ever been completely disastrous, but I hate it when people tend to default to Bluepoint as the ideal studio for any given remake, real or imaginary.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
This is the best news to come out of the acquisition. Been wanting them to do something original for a while.

Shakerovic

Apr 26, 2019
So no MGS, Silent Hill, Castlevania remakes, fuck this

soprano-get-the-fuck-outta-here.gif

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Should have commissioned an original game before buying them, at least to see if they're capable.

What if they fuck this up? Go back to remastering existing games?

I agree, this feels short-sighted, but whatever. Sony seems to just be snapping up any low-hanging fruit they can get their hands on now.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Man I wanted a MGS remake.

edit: peeps really wanted the piss filter back in demon souls didn't they.

Oct 27, 2017
They said this back when Digital Foundry interviewed them for Shadow of the Colossus.

They said they had another remake that was larger than Shadow in the works, which turned out to be Demon's Souls, and after that they were hoping to do an original project.

Glad to hear things went well enough that they are getting to proceed with that plan. I was a little worried that Sony would have them on remakes forever.

I also hope they code named their new project Metal Gear just to mess with insiders a little.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Awesome– glad to hear it!

Can't wait for all the original/new IP coming out of Sony's studios. Next few years are going to be great!

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Really cool to see this. They're obviously a talented studio. More original games are always appreciated.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man I wanted a MGS remake.

edit: peeps really wanted the piss filter back in demon souls didn't they.

It already exists.

I'm baffled that people would want more remakes of games that play perfectly fine as is. Let the studio give us brand new experiences, instead of endless rehashes. Just port the older games, no need to spend years just to remake one title.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Good luck. I love their work, but I hope nobody is waiting the next Shadow of the Colossus or Demon's Souls in this project.