Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017

Credit: Shuka Yamada, translated by Ko Ransom.

One of the longest interviews I've seen Kojima do. It's honestly a good read and I recommend you take a look.

Looking back
  • He ended up in hospital due to exhaustion over working on MGS.
  • He was a manager in KCE Japan, which gave him the experience needed for Kojima Productions.
  • Is very grateful to Kagemasa Kozuki (founder and chairman of Konami) whom he repeatedly praises in the article.
  • He had worked on a screenplay for a short movie, but Covid scrapped the chances of that happening.
  • Covid did change and pause production quite a bit.
Looking forward
  • Is thinking a lot about AI, algorithmic recommendations for example. Will you never have to meet someone you don't like?
  • Is not a fan of the idea that you should be told what entertainment to watch.
  • Is concerned that only "pleasing" entertainment will survive and others will be lost.
  • Has a lot to say about Covid, and remote working in the future (not a huge fan of it).
  • Rushing into the Metaverse is not advised.
  • Will be hiring more international developers.
  • 0 chance of opening an overseas studio though.
  • He thinks he's making the right choice with working with more Hollywood actors, cites Idris Elba in Cyberpunk as an example.
  • Will not work on licensed IP.
  • He wants to become an AI and stick around.
Death Standing movie
  • Won't be just a Hollywood explosions style movie.
  • Hasn't made up his mind about Sam appearing.
  • Death Standing the game is a game. "Games are games", no need to turn it into a film.
    So something new.
Future titles
  • Been in concept development for 5 or 6 years.
  • In presenting the Microsoft project concept, people thought he was mad and said no.
  • Microsoft got what he was trying to do.

Last edited:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Death Standing movie
  • Won't be just a Hollywood explosions style movie.
  • Hasn't made up his mind about Sam appearing.
  • "Games are games", no need to turn it into a film.

Interesting. So I think this basically confirms that the Death Stranding movie isn't going to be telling the events of the game but it's own thing.

doops.

Jun 3, 2020
Interesting. So I think this basically confirms that the Death Stranding movie isn't going to be telling the events of the game but it's own thing.

Hot take but I think that should be the mandate for all adaptations of Video Game IPs. Luckily the Amazon Fallout series seems to be taking that path also.

OP
OP
Wrexis

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Hot take but I think that should be the mandate for all adaptations of Video Game IPs. Luckily the Amazon Fallout series seems to be taking that path also.

I'm 95% in agreement with you but the events leading up to Horizon Zero Dawn (which are partially told in the game) would make for one hell of a show.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
so it's like a movie set in the world of Death Stranding, that's cool too!

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
I am glad to hear his perspective, but I always am wishing I'd hear in-depth interviews from his staff (or former)

The way Kojima talks makes me sometimes think he is a micromanager or just a cool guy.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I feel like these conflict with eachother.

Also, 70 minute long cutscenes.
Yes it's kind of contradictory. We all know he wants to be more involved with film, he was working on a short and seems to love working with actors and has long scenes in his games. Death Stranding is also turning a game into film is it not?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Kojima saying "games don't need to be movies" when he's the one hiring expensive Hollywood actors and making them deliver long stretches of uninterrupted dialogue that makes Hallmark movies look like the Usual Suspects in terms of script quality is definitely a very funny contradiction.

Dec 6, 2017
US
The failure of film adaptations of games from a while back has led to a lot of movies that cater to gamers, right? That's why they have the same kind of look as a game. I don't want the Death Stranding movie to be like that. Rather, I'm taking the approach of changing and evolving the world of Death Stranding in a way that suits film well. I made Death Stranding to be a game, and games are games. There's no real need to turn them into films.

Full quote of the "games are games" bullet point. He's simply saying he doesn't think Death Stranding the game would translate well into film format and that story has already been done so he wants the movie to be something new in the same universe specifically written as a film.

Marus

Alt account
Banned
Aug 6, 2022
Full quote of the "games are games" bullet point. He's simply saying he doesn't think Death Stranding the game would translate well into film format and that story has already been done so he wants the movie to be something new in the same universe specifically written as a film.

Yup people were taking that bullet point a bit too on the nose.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Good on Microsoft for letting him run wild with his ideas instead of another "3rd person action game"

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
`He wants to become an AI and stick around`

I love this. And I hope it's true!
giphy.gif

Oct 28, 2017
Well done interview by Shuka Yamada.

My reading is that Kojima appears to be slowing down or at capacity. Delegating must be incredibly difficult for him. Always wish there could be a protege or talent that could work with Kojima on ideas, letting him take a big picture role. Something akin to Hironobu Sakaguchi to SE back in the day or Toshihiro Nagoshi with Yakuza.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
He's saying that a story written for a game wouldn't necessarily work in the context of a film and it should instead be a story written with the film medium in mind first to avoid the reputation video game adaptations usually have.

We really still stuck on "lol long cutscene" in 2022 y'all?

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I now understand why Kojima overexplains everything in his games.

People can't even understand his simple interviews.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
So far he's got the right take on game adaptations. Excited to see the movie. So it's definitely not following the plot of the game at all, if they haven't even decided on Sam showing up.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

My reading is that Kojima appears to be slowing down or at capacity. Delegating must be incredibly difficult for him. Always wish there could be a protege or talent that could work with Kojima on ideas, letting him take a big picture role. Something akin to Hironobu Sakaguchi to SE back in the day or Toshihiro Nagoshi with Yakuza.

He's tried before, is the problem. In the PS2 and PS3 eras he tried to step away from his games and let other people lead them, but invariably decided they were doing it wrong and seized control back again. Obviously, we don't know whether his proteges were making good games or not before he dropped himself back into the control chair, but he's always been pretty bad at stepping back and letting other people run with a ball he teed up.

Kojima's history of misogyny and objectification of women is ridiculous too.

Do you have any evidence of abuse? Or is it your opinion that women are not hired for their talent but just to see them naked?

I'm not accusing him of abusing anybody. I'm pointing out that he views women as objects first and characters second. Dude's a creep, but he's not a predator.

Alex de Souza

Jul 14, 2022

Which you can skip if you don't want to see.
Much better than those games that force you to play merely narrative moments.
Kojima-san's games can be enjoyed purely for their gameplay elements because the story content is skippable.
I always replay the MGS series because of that. I can't imagine replaying something like GoW Ragnarok or The Last of Us Part II.

OaklandKao

Mar 21, 2022

He tried this with Shinta Nojiri, who respectfully declined.

Kojima-san's games can be enjoyed purely for their gameplay elements because the story content is skippable.
I always replay the MGS series because of that. I can't imagine replaying something like GoW Ragnarok or The Last of Us Part II.
Not the final cutscene in MGS4.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Who were the team leads on MGS: Rising back when it was still an in-house project before Kojima cancelled it and farmed the concept out to Platinum? I can't remember their names anymore, but that was like the "young guard" of at-the-time KojiPro, right?

Not the final cutscene in MGS4.
No, I'm pretty sure everything that happens after defeating Ocelot is highly skippable! In fact, the reviewers that did not get the opportunity to see what comes after the false credits had a better experience with the game than anyone that bought and played through it!

Oct 27, 2017
Lol Kojima AI would be wild and maybe bad for humanity haha. Also, if Hideo isn't convinced of metaverse than it ain't happening boys, not if THAT imagination can't see it

I sincerely hope he is right that Microsoft "gets" the game he pitched but there is almost no chance Microsoft wouldn't take any game he came up with I would imagine.

Weird he didn't mention cloud but AI? Isn't his Xbox game supposed to be heavy about cloud use?

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Still very unclear what is supposedly so "mad" about Overdose. From the leak, it looked like a point-and-click horror game you can play on your phone via streaming. It's like... ok?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
If you skip the final cutscenes in Death Stranding your final task is to walk for five minutes before floating for 30 seconds. The game becomes INCREDIBLY linear in the last portion. Like, the story content is literally not skippable in the last two hours of Death Stranding. After the very underwhelming final boss, If you skip the cutscenes you pretty much have ten minutes of super linear gameplay across two hours of cinematics.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ri_aT8BdpE

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Still very unclear what is supposedly so "mad" about Overdose. From the leak, it looked like a point-and-click horror game you can play on your phone via streaming. It's like... ok?

Kojima has long talked about wanting to make a game that can interact back with you even while you aren't playing it. Texting you, interfering with your phone, etc. These are conceits he mentioned as being central to what he wanted to do with Silent Hills and I have a feeling he wants to bring them back with Overdose.

I can imagine a lot of publishers don't like the idea of a game that actively annoys consumers when they don't want to engage with it.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
If you skip the final cutscenes in Death Stranding your final task is to walk for five minutes before floating for 30 seconds. The game becomes INCREDIBLY linear in the last portion. Like, the story content is literally not skippable in the last two hours of Death Stranding. After the very underwhelming final boss, If you skip the cutscenes you pretty much have ten minutes of super linear gameplay across two hours of cinematics.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ri_aT8BdpE

Yes but that is what I want when I spend 60 bucks on a Hideo Kojimbo experience

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Also glad he's on record talking about how COVID slowed down production. None of the studios were able to avoid that. And given the tons of comments about how hands on he is when it comes to directing it makes sense that he'd personally be super frustrated with work from home situations.

Do you have any evidence of abuse? Or is it your opinion that women are not hired for their talent but just to see them naked?
Abuse or not Kojima is on record stating that he made the models they hired for the BnB unit do the motion capture while nude. Which is, literally not necessary in any way shape or form. And that's before we get into the part where all of those characters have incredibly tragic backstories but do the right thing and they'll pose for you in suggestive ways, AND the original plan was for them to be completely naked in the first place. Even the article referencing this is incredibly gross to read because it reads like a celebration
kotaku.com

Metal Gear Solid 4's Nude Actor Motion Capture

Metal Gear Solid 4 is a sexy game. It's got it all — sexy posing, sexy stone penis grabbing, sexy skin-tight outfits and sexy nard punching. At the recent MGS4 signing session in Tokyo's Shinjuku, Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima joked that it sure seems like, with what Snake's ass-clenched...

It was gross. We should acknowledge that and yea it hasn't been THAT long since he presented Quiet unironically. DS was a step in the right direction but it'll take awhile for that public perception to go away.

Yes but that is what I want when I spend 60 bucks on a Hideo Kojimbo experience
When about 80% of those two hours is clunky exposition and unearned emotional moments then yea no I was good. I genuinely wonder how much that sort of thing could be improved if Kojima took a step back from the storytelling bit and instead focused on cinematography because at least THAT part was for the most part good. And ofc his moment to moment script writing gets less "this is definitely written by a former otaku" with each title ever since MGSV.

Last edited: