• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I love the fact people are trying to dismiss the fact that MS bought the worlds fourth largest publisher and immediately killed all upcoming multi platform games for it, and is now in the process of buying the worlds largest publisher and acting as if it has no relevance.

MS buying studios has a massive negative impact on games available to people. No amount of Phil Spencer talking rubbish about wanting games to be played elsewhere can change the fact that it is in MS interests to not release games on PlayStation where they can. They immediately stopped development on any games that were going to be on PlayStation that weren't under legal contract.

Massive market consolidation like this has *never* helped consumers in the long run.

Last edited:

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Why in 2023 are we talking about the Xbox 360? The PS3 outsold the Xbox 360 that gen. And what does that have to do with how Sony's strategy before and after the PS3 involving securing hundreds of third party exclusive games and content drops? Do you complain on behalf of Xbox or Nintendo when they're deprived on third party content like FF7R or CoD exclusive skins/modes/xp boosts? If the answer is no, then you should ask yourself why is that.

Because it was the same exact tactics used that are repulsive to Xbox fans like yourself. Not even 10 years ago today was the Xbox One announced yet, it is still relatively recent that they were doing things like this since they launched the Xbox One with Dead Rising 3 exclusive, then the next year Titanfall exclusive, and 2015 with Rise of the Tomb Raider exclusive (I wont even include the PUBG exclusivity in 2017) . Sony was doing the same with Street Fighter V and FFVIIR, so why did it stop for Xbox only after this? They lost their sway in the market due to PS4 sales starting to eclipse the maketshare they were both fighting for. If things were more like the PS3/360 gen (which the 360 had the vast lead the majority of the gen) then Xbox would have continued and played the same game Sony is playing with content. Which is the same game that MS played for more than EIGHT YEARS when they were able to.

I dont complain about anyone doing this because it is just business and how the industry works, but when you get pissy about Sony doing it and getting defensive when it is brought up that MS has done this for the better part of a decade with Xbox when they could then the only hypocrisy is what is coming out of you.

Yeona

Banned
Jan 19, 2021
Why in 2023 are we talking about the Xbox 360? The PS3 outsold the Xbox 360 that gen. And what does that have to do with how Sony's strategy before and after the PS3 involving securing hundreds of third party exclusive games and content drops? Do you complain on behalf of Xbox or Nintendo when they're deprived on third party content like FF7R or CoD exclusive skins/modes/xp boosts? If the answer is no, then you should ask yourself why is that.

FFVIIR was a timed exclusive; hasn't been for a very very long time now. Square just hasn't cared enough to do anything about that. Leaving these facts out of these comparisons is precisely why this conversation literally never ends -- we can't even start from a basely of objective reality before we start comparing policy.

DryCreek

Oct 25, 2017
So what is the costs will always outweigh the pros. Microsoft would get absolutely wrecked by fines from the EU, US and the UK and constantly be fined not only that they would be questioned at every single acquisition going forward inside the gaming industry and outside. Not only that but they would probably then become a target like Meta, Google and Apple. Not just that but the constant headlines of Microsoft getting massive fines would probably drop their share price then investors would start to question what the hell theyre doing and so on and all of this just to make call of duty Xbox exclusive to get approximately 3% of ps owners to move over.

Yeah hence why i think its very unlikely. In general it isn't an uncommon occurrence for large global corporations to break contracts when they think its worth it, regulatory fines and penalty clauses are often seen as "the cost of doing business" . I cant help that those that think its out outside the realm of possibility to be simply naïve.

They won't need to wait 10 years to make every ABK game exclusive, only CoD. And I really doubt it'd make sense to take CoD away from PS players considering how expensive it is to make. I could only see it potentially make sense if they drastically cut down on the recourses put into CoD and take it off of the yearly cycle.

well thats kind of impossible to tell right now isn't it. it really wouldn't surprise me if MS made cod exclusive as soon as it is viable for them to do so. we can make similar arguments about how it makes no sense to make the next elder scrolls game exclusive due to haw massive its sales are historically yet here we are.

Incorrect. If Microsoft goes around breaking contracts, which in the business world is basically your legally binding word. They would become untrustworthy which isn't anything any business wants to be known as. This would show all their partners that yes they will break contracts when it suits them and not consider them binding outside of extenuating circumstances.

Not incorrect its all a matter of if its worth it. yes it damages their rep and will cost them but in the short term damage worth the potential long term gain? again I'm not saying Microsoft Will do any of this just that contracts dont make something impossible like people here claim. Microsoft is a company expect the mto be ruthless and do anything that they believe will net them the most profits, including breaking contracts, including making games exclusive.

all of this goes for every company in the games industry. I'm just calling out Microsoft because a bunch of people for some reason act like Microsoft is an exception.

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
I feel like people who are not surprised by this are entirely missing the point. Yes it's not surprising, but this is entirely undercutting Microsoft's claims that they never took anything away from Playstation in their Bethesda deal, and hurts their case for the activision merger.

They've been thoroughly using the Bethesda deal as an example of how their games are still on PS, but that's clearly only applying to previous, contractually-obligated content, and will probably concern the regulators that it will be the same with activision.
It was an unannounced title, so they took nothing away, understand?

Feb 19, 2023

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I love the fact people are trying to dismiss the fact that MS bought the worlds fourth largest publisher and immediately killed all upcoming multi platform games for it, and is now in the process of buying the worlds largest publisher and acting as if it has no relevance.

MS buying studios has a massive negative impact on games available to people. No amount of Phil Spencer talking rubbish about wanting games to be played elsewhere can change the fact that its in MS interest to not release games on PlayStation where they can, and they immediately stopped development on any games that were going to be on PlayStation that weren't under legal contract.

Massive market consolidation like this has *never* helped consumers in the long run.

But exclusives!!!!

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
well thats kind of impossible to tell right now isn't it. it really wouldn't surprise me if MS made cod exclusive as soon as it is viable for them to do so. we can make similar arguments about how it makes no sense to make the next elder scrolls game exclusive due to haw massive its sales are historically yet here we are.
Elder Scrolls doesn't have 8 studios with thousands of devs pumping out a game every year. Doesn't really seem comparable at all.

Oct 31, 2017

MS buying studios has a massive negative impact on games available to people. No amount of Phil Spencer talking rubbish about wanting games to be played elsewhere can change the fact that it is in MS interests to not release games on PlayStation where they can. They immediately stopped development on any games that were going to be on PlayStation that weren't under legal contract.

So true. Too bad your excellent post will be ignored by a lot of people.

I don't care about the ABK deal because I own a high-end PC in addition to a PS5 so I can pretty much play ABK games wherever they go but I don't like the idea of consolidation. What MS is doing is ultimately going to be harmful to consumers as consolidation never ends up being good for consumers no matter what PR talking heads like Phil say.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017

It's sad that people don't get this. Replace MS with Sony or this entire situation with another industry, like telecommunications, and it's all the same results. The net outcome is bad for the consumer.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017

Can you give me some examples of this in the video game world? I'm having a hard time thinking of some at the moment.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017

How is it a negative impact? The game is available on PC through steam as well day one. Just because the console leader Playstation isn't getting a port doesnt mean that gamers dont have an option, there are still plenty of options.

Yeona

Banned
Jan 19, 2021

What do you mean?

It's literally on the box of the game. It was a timed exclusive for 6 months. And then it took however much time longer to release on PC because Square just wasn't too interested in that. If they had ports ready to go for as soon as the deal ended, then it wouldn't have taken them a billion years to get the game on EGS and Steam. :p

That's just Square-Enix being what they are. There is to date absolutely zero evidence that they were ever paid to keep FFVIIR away from any other platform in perpetuity. The deal was a 6-month period. From what we know, this also applies to every other example people over here are mentioning, which makes the situation even more frustrating. And people aren't even talking about the games that did have a timed exclusivity deal, but then launched on Xbox.

Also remember when people genuinely believed Sony had moneyhatted Persona 5? lol

Why would they release FFVII Reunion on Xbox, and not the vastly bigger title, then?

Only Square knows that. If I had to guess, FFVII Remake was designed and developed with the deal in mind, which allowed them to finish the game quicker. Then they just didn't bother to work on a separate port for Xbox hardware.

If there was any intention of keeping FFVII away from Xbox deliberately, they wouldn't have released Reunion on it either. Square-Enix is a gigantic Japanese corporation, they don't engage in petty office politics like that.

Funkelpop

Sep 2, 2022
It's not shocking news. This is for the people in the back who disingenuously kept stating that there was never a PS5 version in development just because Bethesda didn't announce platforms at the time. Yes the PS5, the most popular console right now wasn't going to somehow get a version 😂

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
It's sad that people don't get this. Replace MS with Sony or this entire situation with another industry, like telecommunications, and it's all the same results. The net outcome is bad for the consumer.

Can you explain to me why RedFall only coming to Xbox, PC, and XCloud is bad for consumers?

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Can you give me some examples of this in the video game world? I'm having a hard time thinking of some at the moment.
What do you mean? This is arguably the first time massive consolidation has happened in the video game industry, at least on this scale. It's more a comparison of other industries.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
So true. Too bad your excellent post will be ignored by a lot of people.

I don't care about the ABK deal because I own a high-end PC in addition to a PS5 so I can pretty much play ABK games wherever they go but I don't like the idea of consolidation. What MS is doing is ultimately going to be harmful to consumers as consolidation never ends up being good for consumers no matter what PR talking heads like Phil say.
So it would be better had Sony just moneyhatted Redfall like they did with Deathloop and Ghostwire, arent those move also harmful to consumers?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Also worth noting Arkane is a Bethesda studio and Bethesda was ecstatic to never have to work with Sony again. Obviously, Deathloop was originally a PS5 exclusive but I believe Todd Howard said something around when they were acquired by MS about being excited for making games exclusively for Xbox.

Obviously of course he would say that but also I believe him as guys like him at Bethesda have very publicly vent their frustrations in working with Sony a number of times. I genuinely think they viewed working with Sony as a necessary evil in that they would've stopped making games for their platforms ASAP if they felt there was a business justification to do so. Once they were acquired not only did the business justification exist but they were almost certainly encouraged not to develop games for PlayStation. Maybe Arkane genuinely felt differently but ultimately it's not their decision to make.
Lmao this is total fan fiction

data

Oct 25, 2017
This only seems bad for Sony consumers to be honest. You should really speak for yourself and no pretend to speak for all of us. It's not like Sony hasnt uses this exclusivity deals to try to prevent games from coming to other platforms like PC.

Like Deathloop.

Like FF7R.

Like Ff16.

Like how they tried to make starfield exclusive.

Oct 31, 2017
So it would be better had Sony just moneyhatted Redfall like they did with Deathloop and Ghostwire, arent those move also harmful for consumers?
It would be better if no one moneyhatted anything. Where in my post did you get Sony moneyhatting games is good? What does Sony have to do with industry wide publisher consolidation? Stop putting words in my mouth. If you have nothing reasonable to say to my post then don't bother replying to me.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
What do you mean? This is arguably the first time massive consolidation has happened in the video game industry, at least on this scale. It's more a comparison of other industries.

And yet we'll still have Take2, EA, Ubisoft, SquareEnix, Capcom, Sega, Embracer, tons of indies, and etc still releasing games on whatever platform they want. I don't see how this can lead to widespread consolidation. Come talk to me when MS starts to buy out those companies.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Unless I'm totally misremembering this, the context of its early development was basically that Sony had bought out exclusivity for their last couple games to keep them off Xbox until the acquisition several years later. So uhh...yeah, I'm not sure who this would surprise. Development consideration for games on PS5 and Xbox doesn't take a heck of a lot of special effort if the QA resources are earmarked, so something being planned "on paper" is just a given in the early days of pre-production.

Last edited:

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
This only seems bad for Sony consumers to be honest. You should really speak for yourself and no pretend to speak for all of us. It's not like Sony hasnt uses this exclusivity deals to try to prevent games from coming to other platforms like PC.

Like Deathloop.

Like FF7R.

Like Ff16.

I don't understand your argument. Those are bad for consumers too.

realricochet

Apr 30, 2019
Mexico
Redfall will launch on PC via Steam and the Epic store, day one on Gamepass on Windows and Xbox consoles, including streaming.

Final Fantasy XVI will be console exclusive for a while, the PC version will take months to arrive.

People acting like the videogames industry is Playstation only.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone who suggests that any of these multi-billion dollar corporations are in business for anything but maximizing profit for investors is fooling themselves lmao. Microsoft was actually pretty clear about this, at least with the CMA, that they're going to weigh the value proposition of trying to prop up their own platforms at the expense of a broader install base by making a game exclusive and choosing to maximize revenue by keeping a game multi-platform. People were being foolish if that expected that litmus test to not overwhelmingly result in exclusives Lol. It's safe to say that 95% of what Microsoft outputs is going to be what you'd expect from a platform holder, ie. 100% exclusive to their platforms, but things like COD which are almost a platform in itself - similar to Minecraft - will opt to maximize revenue by coming to everything possible.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
And yet we'll still have Take2, EA, Ubisoft, SquareEnix, Capcom, Sega, Embracer, tons of indies, and etc still releasing games on whatever platform they want. I don't see how this can lead to widespread consolidation. Come talk to me when MS starts to buy out those companies.
What kind of goal post moving is this?

DryCreek

Oct 25, 2017
Can you explain to me why RedFall only coming to Xbox, PC, and XCloud is bad for consumers?

because there are a lot of consumers that now cant play it without significantly investing in annother platform of dealing with a subpar gameplay experience over xcloud.

So it would be better had Sony just moneyhatted Redfall like they did with Deathloop and Ghostwire, arent those move also harmful for consumers?

Like Deathloop.

Like FF7R.

Like Ff16.

You know people can have the opinion that both things are bad right, that people dont see this through a simple lens of MS v Sony and that just because Sony pay for exclusive titles doesn't mean Microsoft should buy up huge chunks of the industry. SHOCKING i know.

Status
Not open for further replies.