• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
This just keeps getting better. Cooking Mama is trying to turn into a Tiger King type story. I was interested in the game and I have no idea if I still am. But I'm hooked on reading about it!

Oct 26, 2017
Worth noting that Planet seems ot be more or less the successor to XS Games. You may remember XS from the Wii era who put out mostly shovelware but some okay stuff here and there. The founder of XS founded Planet IIRC, it even says so in their employee profiles on their main site, I'll recheck.

1st Playable is no inexperienced dev. They were apparently formed quite awhile ago by ex-Vicarious Visions folks who up until now only worked on Nintendo hardware in terms of traditional hardware, but after Big Hero 6: Battle in the Bay in 2014, they went mobile and browser edutainment exclusive.

I never understood why now of all times they came back to make a Cooking Mama game when Office Create exclusively were the devs (they own it). Why all of the sudden move the IP to a western dev. Are they not making Cooking Mama 6 for Switch internally? Majesco also is still in the picture after being very briefly shutdown when they (for god knows what reason) merged with a medical company. They recently brought Shin'en's Iridion 3D and Iridion II to Steam (uhh.. why not Switch?). They have a multimedia project in the works called Coba (developed by Dinosaur Games) for Switch and Steam after they were bought by a company in Vancouver IIRC right after reviving themselves. But that game's been MIA for like the last year since the reveal.

505 Games funny enough inherited the Zumba IP from Majesco and put out Zumba: Burn it Up on Switch (by the original Zoe Mode team at Kuju). 505 Games were the EU publisher of Cooking Mama but called it quits right after Cooking Mama 4. Nintendo of all people took over for the EU releases of Cooking Mama 5 and Gardening Mama 2, but yet Rising Star Games then took over for Cooking Mama Sweet Shop for both NA and EU.

Now Planet enters the ring all of the sudden doing a western-specific entry. They've only published exclusively for Switch with ports of both Bass Pro Shop games from the Wii/PS360 era (with The Hunt now under Cabela as BPS bought them out), and believe it not published Switch ports of two DATA DESIGN Wii games. Yeah, they still live! O_o Oh and Party Arcade as the successor to the WB-owned Game Party IP by the original devs at Farsight.

I mean these were sound strategies if nothing remarkable. But I feel like jumping to Cooking Mama, and especially with this fucking crypto nonesense (whether it's in the final game or not, it was planned as discussed above). What is going on here?

Edit: I CAN'T ENTER PLANET'S MAIN SITE DUE TO A SECURITY WARNING FROM FIREFOX!!! LOL

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My theory is that Office Create caught wind of this at the eleventh hour, saw it was using their copyrights (while the "Cooking Mama" name might not be Office Create trademark, in a similar manner to how Marvelous never owned "Harvest Moon", the design of Mama herself is definitely Office Create's property) and sent in the lawyers. It does beg the question how the fuck anyone thought they could get away with not asking the original creators for permission to do this project (especially Deep Silver, who absolutely should know better).

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
563120-cooking%20mama%20cookstar%20new%20game%20switch.jpg

You want to learn how to be better zen Mama? Wonderful! All Mama needs before you start is your credit card number, expiration date, and 3 or 4 digits on ze back!

GaussTek

Oct 30, 2017
My theory is that Office Create caught wind of this at the eleventh hour, saw it was using their copyrights (while the "Cooking Mama" name might not be Office Create trademark, in a similar manner to how Marvelous never owned "Harvest Moon", the design of Mama herself is definitely Office Create's property) and sent in the lawyers. It does beg the question how the fuck anyone thought they could get away with not asking the original creators for permission to do this project (especially Deep Silver, who absolutely should know better).

Yeah, this seems to be the case, Office Create's page http://www.ofcr.co.jp/, not even the official Cooking Mama twitter channels seem to mention anything related to this game lol, and you would at least expect something if they got permission from them

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Picked up a copy at Target for $29.. found the only store in the area that didn't get ONE copy, but rather TWO that they hadn't stocked yet.

Confusing as hell release.

EDIT:

I see the vegetarian mode that was mentioned in the info released back in August is in, but I am not sure if I want to listen to Mama's new voice.

It didn't sound all that different, but it was really weird to hear CM say stuff that sounded like she's trying to fit in..
IE:
4b2.gif

"Yo, that was lit, let's get krunk!" (well maybe not that bad..)

Last edited:

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Obviously the only reasonable explanation is that someone accidently wrote "Cockstar" in one of the menus and in their panic accidentally deleted the game.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
Scanning the copyright info for the Cooking Mama games, Office Create/Cooking Mama Ltd. is shown to own the trademark for most of the releases, but the later ones make no mention of it. Did they let it expire despite having "Cooking Mama" in their company name? If that's the case, then yeah this new company's use of the Mama character probably caused issues.

I haven't seen any gameplay for this new game other than what's on this page, so I don't know if it makes any mention of the trademark.

Last edited:

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Yeah what probably happened is someone stupidly decided it was a good idea to make their own Cooking Mama game without approaching the owners of the IP first
Worth noting that Planet seems ot be more or less the successor to XS Games. You may remember XS from the Wii era who put out mostly shovelware but some okay stuff here and there. The founder of XS founded Planet IIRC, it even says so in their employee profiles on their main site, I'll recheck.

1st Playable is no inexperienced dev. They were apparently formed quite awhile ago by ex-Vicarious Visions folks who up until now only worked on Nintendo hardware in terms of traditional hardware, but after Big Hero 6: Battle in the Bay in 2014, they went mobile and browser edutainment exclusive.

I never understood why now of all times they came back to make a Cooking Mama game when Office Create exclusively were the devs (they own it). Why all of the sudden move the IP to a western dev. Are they not making Cooking Mama 6 for Switch internally? Majesco also is still in the picture after being very briefly shutdown when they (for god knows what reason) merged with a medical company. They recently brought Shin'en's Iridion 3D and Iridion II to Steam (uhh.. why not Switch?). They have a multimedia project in the works called Coba (developed by Dinosaur Games) for Switch and Steam after they were bought by a company in Vancouver IIRC right after reviving themselves. But that game's been MIA for like the last year since the reveal.

505 Games funny enough inherited the Zumba IP from Majesco and put out Zumba: Burn it Up on Switch (by the original Zoe Mode team at Kuju). 505 Games were the EU publisher of Cooking Mama but called it quits right after Cooking Mama 4. Nintendo of all people took over for the EU releases of Cooking Mama 5 and Gardening Mama 2, but yet Rising Star Games then took over for Cooking Mama Sweet Shop for both NA and EU.

Now Planet enters the ring all of the sudden doing a western-specific entry. They've only published exclusively for Switch with ports of both Bass Pro Shop games from the Wii/PS360 era (with The Hunt now under Cabela as BPS bought them out), and believe it not published Switch ports of two DATA DESIGN Wii games. Yeah, they still live! O_o Oh and Party Arcade as the successor to the WB-owned Game Party IP by the original devs at Farsight.

I mean these were sound strategies if nothing remarkable. But I feel like jumping to Cooking Mama, and especially with this fucking crypto nonesense (whether it's in the final game or not, it was planned as discussed above). What is going on here?

Edit: I CAN'T ENTER PLANET'S MAIN SITE DUE TO A SECURITY WARNING FROM FIREFOX!!! LOL

Yo Edge isn't letting me in either lmao

Oct 26, 2017
Office Create is still on the back cover and I guess they're copyrighted under "Cooking Mama World" as they're called on their website. But yeah, who knows what they're actual involvement was, if they were even aware at all (which would be very illegal if they were never even approached, like yikes).

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Office Create is still on the back cover and I guess they're copyrighted under "Cooking Mama World" as they're called on their website. But yeah, who knows what they're actual involvement was, if they were even aware at all (which would be very illegal if they were never even approached, like yikes).
the simple answer would be they licensed out the game, but after the news of the blockchain thing, they got into a kerfuffle and that aspect was never pushed onto the developers. but some other issue cropped up, whatever it is

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like there's some stock around in Australia. I'm tempted to buy because this definitely seems like it's going to be quite rare indeed.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
How could a Switch even bitcoin mine? Don't you need relatively high-powered to incredibly high-powered PCs to do that stuff?

Samuray

Nov 21, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Looks like there's some stock around in Australia. I'm tempted to buy because this definitely seems like it's going to be quite rare indeed.

You think? This is all hilarious and fascinating at the same time, sure...but I'm expecting normal stock to get to all US and EU retailers in late April or whenever it's now supposed to. Am I too optimistic here?

Also, wouldn't the publisher maybe say something on Twitter if physical copies were about to get pulled?

IGN's follow-up article

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
so it wasn't real than?
IGN ran a follow-up article today, mostly a summary of the info in this thread and on Twitter. They looked at using blockchain technology but apparently it never made it into the final game. There's still some confusion why the the game was pulled from the eshop though.

www.ign.com

Cooking Mama: Cookstar Creators Move to Quash Cryptocurrency Mining Speculation - IGN

Cooking Mama: Cookstar'sstory keeps getting stranger, as theories about background cryptomining are shut down.
IGN said:
"We looked at these options as a means to allow players to trade in-game assets", reads a follow-up tweet. "However, we only explored the theory behind the concept, not the implementation. Cooking Mama: Cookstar, nor any of our other titles in the past or near future will utilize crypto technology."

IGN said:
IGN has verified with players that do own the game that claims of it causing the Switch to overheat also appear to be false, although battery drain does seem to be an issue (this could be down to any number of factors, however). Cookstar can also be played offline, contrary to claims that it was an always-online game to allow for background cryptomining.

IGN said:
This controversy has also has helped clear up some of the previous confusion around Cooking Mama: Cookstar, primarily who made the game, and its connection to blockchain technology. However, aside from acknowledging "distribution issues", neither developer or publisher has addressed why the game was pulled from Nintendo eShop in the first place. IGN has, once again, reached out for comment.

Can you add that article to the OP mazi ?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, guess I won't open my copy. Sounds like I may have stumbled upon a possible rare game. Even better is I got it for $10 off thanks to Target.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
This is such a wild story, sounds like there might never be another release if the publisher can't come to an agreement with Office Create. Anyone who was lucky enough to get an early copy should keep their game sealed for now, this could really go up in value depending on how many copies made it onto store shelves.

anonymous dev on Screenrant said:
At one point the japanese official create clients came to oversee development. An argument started and the clients were told to go home if they weren't being "constuctive". Once they found out that planet entertainment released the game, they used their nintendo contacts to pull it from the e-shop and stop production of cartridges.

Screenrant said:
The future of Cooking Mama: Cookstar remains uncertain, as the developer ended by saying "As I understand planet entertainment is sueing office create having it removed for money lost. It's hard to say if it will ever be released properly."

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
I hope it does get released, and the old versions get patched. I do not think the game is bad, but I thought it was weird that the cooking mama narrator speaks in such strong japanese accent, in english.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Man, I was hoping the cryptomining thing would be true simply because that would be hilarious af.

That being said, this situation is already pretty funny

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
So I should buy a copy right. Pretty sure theres a bunch at a local store here in Australia

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got a copy over the weekend off eBay at the normal price. It supposedly shipped today. We shall see.

Status
Not open for further replies.