• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So many people watching the game instead of playing it, and spoiling the game for themselves. But maybe they are people who weren't gonna play it anyway.

I'm probably gonna be watching some fun let's plays of it too, but not until I've finished the story. I've managed to stay completely spoiler-free all this time, and I intend to keep it that way.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Matchmade.tv is not a data analyst as the article states, it's actually a marketing website which you pay to generate interest for your videogame via paying influencers.

Like google adwords , but for gaming.

Assuming that Sony have paid this firm to pay influencers , then they've literally paid for this statistic that is specific to this company's tracking.

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Matchmade.tv is not a data analyst as the article states, it's actually a marketing website which you pay to generate interest for your videogame via paying influencers.

Assuming that Sony have paid this firm to pay influencers , then they've literally paid for this statistic that is specific to this company's tracking.
Didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

It would make sense that such a company would have data analytics for the relevant information. They essentially couldn't provide the service they do or determine impact, influence or productivity without it.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just learned this was possible for example

You know, I was straight up trying that at the start with all these burning trees but it seemed like it wasn't doing much. I eventually gave up on trying to kick others in fire (since, well, such firey spots stopped appearing later on)

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is one of those WTF stats. What conclusions can you form other than the game is popular and everyone is making videos about a popular game?

That people like watching it a lot for some reason or other.

There are other games that sell similarly like AC and the like, obviously they're popular as well, but few are watchable to this extent.

Last edited:

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
I platinumed it already, but I like watching others play it too. It's an amazing, beautiful game and I think it'll win most GOTY awards.

The sequel has so much to live up to now, I'm kinda frightened for it lol.

Ryder9

Alt account
Banned
May 26, 2018
means more people are watching a playthrough of it on youtube than they are buying/playing the game

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Nice! Not sure what exactly they're referring to with those views, so I'm guessing it's just the total accumulated views of any God of War video. Really impressive and shows just how big of an impact the game has made on the industry. I wonder just what Sony will do. I don't think they expected it to do this well.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
This is a surprise hit for Sony. To go from a reasonably popular series to their biggest franchise is something they would not have expected. God of war on PS5 is going to do beastly numbers

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I don't think it's surprising, since it's a movie-like experience.
People might choose to watch it instead of playing it because it doesn't feel much different.
You obviously haven't played through the game with a silly comment like that. The gameplay in GOW is second to none. It feels incredible to play. This is not a "movie game" like some people who haven't played it think it is. Anyway, the views make sense because of the different builds and styles and awesome enemy challenges.

Nov 30, 2017
This game deserves all the views. Sony has some of the best exclusives this gen that really carry weight.

I was so impressed how this game evolved and rose to retake its place among the best of them.

GOW became legendary once again and I cant wait to see what's next.

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing. Now make a multiplayer in a next game like Ascension.

I'd rather they just focus on delivering a great single player like this instalment. Multiplayer would be cool if they can ever get it to work but it's a lot of fun for something that, like Ascension, may not end up attracting or keeping much of an audience.

means more people are watching a playthrough of it on youtube than they are buying/playing the game

Most of those people would have probably never bought the game anyway. I guess they're either watching their favourite streamers play it or they're watching as they don't have a PS4.

Ryder9

Alt account
Banned
May 26, 2018
Most of those people would have probably never bought the game anyway. I guess they're either watching their favourite streamers play it or they're watching as they don't have a PS4.

exactly, God of War is more linear and cinematic and therefore easier to just watch on youtube, so these numbers mean nothing to the actual sales or to the benefit for the game makers; shows great interest but that's about it, limiting platforms does that

Bran Van

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Exactly. I watched it on YouTube (if you search for "god of war no commentary", you find a 25-part walk-through) and therefore contributed to the numbers quoted in the OP. I commented because it is directly related to the topic at hand.
How would you have any idea if it's no different to playing it without ever playing it?

Lots of shit posting ITT

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
exactly, God of War is more linear and cinematic and therefore easier to just watch on youtube, so these numbers mean nothing to the actual sales or to the benefit for the game makers; shows great interest but that's about it, limiting platforms does that

I disagree. Sure many will never buy the game for various reasons but being that its not as linear as you make it sound and has excelllent combat with good build variety. I could see plenty of viewers picking the game up. Just look at how fast it reached 5 million sold thru. Remember a good amount of these views could just be 5 and ten minute clips or people only watching for that long. I know tons of people at work who do that but very few will watch an entire game on youtube.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
With the amount of build variety and difficulty options this couldn't be further from the truth.
Plus the combat.

One could do combat specifically one way for the most part of they wanted to. One way out of 4-5 ways if I'm counting right.

Scratch that, just thinking now it's more ways you could do combat. Many more.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing you haven't played it. Just creating a build will give you a headache with the massive amounts of options. And their is a vast gap between a casual player and a really good player.
Yup. This made me edit my post about combat variations.

When I got my first gear that had 3 enchantment slots or I upgraded some gear to have 3 slots, I was so happy....then I spent about an hour trying to figure what to put in the slots, lol.

Yeah, its easy to tell who actually played this game by their comments....

I just learned this was possible for example

I need to kick more. Learn something new every day.

And I don't know how to throw enemies. It always happened by accident for me.

I beat the game but still.

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't this just mean there are a lot of people interested in GoW who don't plan on buying it?