LuuKyK

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
The disk drive position annoys the hell out of me for some reason, especially when you put the console sideways...

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Great idea IGN, great video!
I have to say, the design has grown on me. It looked much bigger from the trailer. But I like it, looks futuristic and powerful.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
You would think with all IGN's resources they could have 3D printed a mock up.

But yeah I'd love this as a PC rather than a console.

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot wait for a breakdown of the box. I wonder if they did anything neat for the thermals similar to Apple's "trashcan" computers.
It's basically the same cooling set up as the "trashcan" according to them.
One large exhaust fan at the top to cool everything.
Don't know if they've done anything fancy with the main board placement like the "trashcan" but considering the box shape I doubt it.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
This Console is meant to be vertical, horizontally it would look weird with the green light going on from on side.

Mar 11, 2019
I have to say, the design has grown on me. It looked much bigger from the trailer. But I like it, looks futuristic and powerful.
I kind of agree, some pictures of the console comparison gave the impression of it being much bigger. Now with this mock up it looks fine and could even give an ok look in a living room.

Although the design would never be a factor in getting the console or not, if this design was required for efficiency then I would take it over the design that would cause heating trouble or a less powerful console in a instant.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's basically the same cooling set up as the "trashcan" according to them.
One large exhaust fan at the top to cool everything.
Don't know if they've done anything fancy with the main board placement like the "trashcan" but considering the box shape I doubt it.

the mac pro got fancy with the board design because it had the main logic board, then two separate boards with a gpu on each, so they used a single big-ass triangular heatsink with one board mounted to each side so they could all share the heatsink.

presumably the xbox series x will use an apu with the cpu and gpu on the same die, so it's all one logic board, and thus has no need for such a design. i wouldn't be surprised if there's a big-ass heatsink in that pillar, though.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
It literally looks like the monolith from 2001 we really are in the future
This was my first take. And it was awfully comforting for some reason.

My Air Purifier/Powerhouse Game Console is going to add a subtle, yet refined touch of retro-futurism in my living room next holiday season.

Can't wait.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad Microsoft went for maximum power and cooling efficiency, rather than trying to go cheap or add a gimmicky accessory or force the console to be overly compact.

Function over form, people.

Oct 25, 2017
the mac pro got fancy with the board design because it had the main logic board, then two separate boards with a gpu on each, so they used a single big-ass triangular heatsink with one board mounted to each side so they could all share the heatsink.

presumably the xbox series x will use an apu with the cpu and gpu on the same die, so it's all one logic board, and thus has no need for such a design. i wouldn't be surprised if there's a big-ass heatsink in that pillar, though.
My guess is most of the space on that pillar will be taken by the heatsink and maybe the power supply (if they make it internal) and both will have to be massive by console standards considering the specs.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
It was a great idea. Shame about the execution though. Not doing a comparison with it on its side was a huge oversight.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Gamespot said MS designed it with power in mind.

They didn't make a design and then tried to fit the tech in. They got the tech they wanted and built the design around that instead.

If that's what it took to cram all that power in there and keep it as quiet as the X then I'm a happy camper.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Good idea for a video, that. Like seeing a mock-up beside the current consoles.

And I think it looks great, honestly. Actually looks cool. The size will no doubt help keep it quiet and well-ventilated too.

NaudiRajah

Jun 8, 2018
I wonder if this thing will still be eligible for prime shipping, or I we will be forced to pay over sized package prices. Ugh this thing is DOA for sure.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was a bit annoyed the guy said they'll give exact measurements but then didn't.

So I did a quick photoshop under the assumption the drive was 120mm, (the shadowed area.)
Think I may have it correct because at the scale, the new controller is 150mm which according to google is 5 mm smaller than the current one.

xncvVHs.jpg

Scooted around the apartment to find something of a similar size. Funnily the box for my iron is very similar.

Very silly comparison but other people might own one, 290x145mm, not my image.

$_86.JPG

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I was a bit annoyed the guy said they'll give exact measurements but then didn't.

So I did a quick photoshop under the assumption the drive was 120mm, (the shadowed area.)
Think I may have it correct because at the scale, the new controller is 150mm which according to google is 5 mm smaller than the current one.

xncvVHs.jpg

Scooted around the apartment to find something of a similar size. Funnily the box for my iron is very similar.

Very silly comparison but other people might own one, 290x145mm, not my image.

$_86.JPG

Thank you.

Also, taking your measurements into account, the XSeX is of larger volume ~5992.1 cmÂł compared to One X that at 4320 cmÂł. So yea, Ryan is perhaps wrong (would not be the first time).

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love the tower look to it, it just means it will probablg go next to my tv like my switch instead of under it

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
Lockhart should look more or less the same but be a smaller monolith, so that they can display them side by side easily communicating that it's a cheaper, lesser powerful version of the same thing. If they do it that way, the concern trolling will be unjustified.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A little bit random, but damn, this guy on Behance must be very proud right now. Concept from Feb. 2018:
He almost got the Xbox design exactly right

c7679262411069.5a8fe206276e7.jpg

a761a362411069.5a8f23cead8bc.jpg

Looks like a Bluetooth speaker.

Really disliking this taller design trend. Entertainment units were not designed for tall media devices. Most TV units have width in their favour (wider and larger TV's), not height. Then there's sitting it on its side where it just looks sillier.

Last edited:

LuckyLocke

Avenger
Nov 27, 2017
Well good thing they let folks know a year early. Gives people time to see how they can fit that in their setups.

I really don't think this thing could lay sideways in a tight area.
I wouldn't put it sideways seriously. It takes away all the charm of its tower design. Just find a nice spot elsewhere where it can shine in all its vertical glory.

deadbass

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird to me that people keep comparing it to the monolith from 2001, given that the company's current console looks way more like it because, y'know, it's not a square.