RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Brutal.

I expect they will announce some ABK games are coming to GamePass very soon to hide the bad press with good press.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Microsoft sure doesn't think so which is ultimately the point. It's not strictly an act of compensating for the money they just spent. Framing it that way I think loses sight of the bigger picture when it comes to the reasons companies do layoffs. I shouldn't have to say it either, but under no circumstances am I implying those reasons are GOOD ones.

Everyone knew money was cheap for a few years and that belts were absolutely going to tighten. This has been the most widely understood looming shadow in tech for years.

Microsoft spent a LOT of money in the last year and has just been championed as the new #1 company on Earth.

Knowing how easy it would have been to avoid this situation is 100% fair ground for criticizing Microsoft.

You don't need to defend this action as a smart move. It was stupid and greedy with a preventable outcome.

I do not care what happens to shareholders stocks. You're wasting time gesturing to their best interests when it's vividly clear I'm concerned about the 1,900 people who just lost their jobs.

Last edited:

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough, I don't know who you're referring to but I'm sure some people are indeed just here to console war.

But sadly, things like this are also considered console warring

Then the definition of console wars has changed

I feel like Merger and Acquisition fallout and finance/workplace sustainability conversations are so far removed as topics from the knuckle dragging of console wars that putting them in the same boat is insane.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
it's quite ironic that the staff is so bothered by "told you so"s as if these reactions are just dropping out of nowhere when anyone who was against the merger was actively ridiculed and looked down on by some users and staff alike and at times threadbanned for voicing this very concern in the other thread.
there are certain attitudes on this forum that deserve to be called out and the cheerleading of this acquisitions is one of them

This.

I didn't comment much on the other thread because I was worried I'd be banned for console warring for pointing out why that acquisition is horrible for gaming.

Booya_base

Oct 31, 2017
Jersey
Yeah this kind of thing is just automatic after a merger but obviously they didn't HAVE to do it and it totally sucks regardless, wishing luck to anyone let go - hope you all find jobs and end up ok.

Snake Versus

Oct 27, 2017
My brother was hired at Blizzard back in October and 2 of my close friends also work there. All of them just waiting for the email confirming whether they have jobs come Monday.

What a terrible day.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
it's quite ironic that the staff is so bothered by "told you so"s as if these reactions are just dropping out of nowhere when anyone who was against the merger was actively ridiculed and looked down on by some users and staff alike and at times threadbanned for voicing this very concern in the other thread.
there are certain attitudes on this forum that deserve to be called out and the cheerleading of this acquisitions is one of them

pretty much why I just lurked that thread. it was a minefield for anyone who pointed out that the other shoe was gonna drop at some point.

this all just sucks so much and it's only January. no one's safe.

Where are all the people cheering for massive corporate acquisitions now?

in the Palworld threads talking about how MS should buy the developer

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this kind of thing is just automatic after a merger but obviously they didn't HAVE to do it and it totally sucks regardless, wishing luck to anyone let go - hope you all find jobs and end up ok.

The problem here is that there are not enough jobs in the industry for all the people who keep getting made redundant to land on their feet. The industry is contracting like crazy as companies rush to cut costs, and the jobs being eliminated aren't being opened up in other places in the industry. A LOT of the people who lose their jobs today will never work in gaming again as a result. Especially when major corps want to use AI to replace rank and file workers at all levels of their organizations!

This can't continue at this pace. It can't.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
Really horrible news. I hope everyone lands on their feet from this. Many people in my life have asked me quite a few times if I would ever love to do game development for a large corporation and don't really think that stuff like this happens in this industry. I don't think these companies ever think that it can be hard for creative people to give their best work knowing that at any moment your head could be on the chopping block for whatever reason regardless of how good you do your job.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Then the definition of console wars has changed

I feel like Merger and Acquisition fallout and finance/workplace sustainability conversations are so far removed as topics from the knuckle dragging of console wars that putting them in the same boat is insane.
To be clear, I'm not saying that's the mod stance, but it's how many people replied to that post at the time, as if it was a console warrior thing.

It's going to be hard to discuss the dark side of the industry without being able to mention MS, Sony or Nintendo. People seem to take calling them out as a console war thing.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is that the vast majority gamers outside of the Twitter/net bubble won't care. Microsoft knows that.

About the layoffs? Yeah most definitely won't care, which sucks. Not really sure what we can do though, every big company is just laying off hundreds or thousands of people every month. All of us "regular Joes" are just getting poorer and poorer, while the rich get richer.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
Amen. The merger thread was like a cult. Go back and look at what they said to Arc when he posted about the layoffs. Dozens of posters were making fun of him, saying this surely wouldn't happen. This was how the thread went for years, with everyone who was against it being made out to be console warriors. I don't give a fuck about PlayStation or Xbox. I have literally not bought a game from Activision/Blizzard as long as I can remember and own an Xbox and a gaming PC.

i will probably get banned for this lol

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What kills me is sending out a memo about the firing of 1900 people and sign it with Phil. Just you friend Phil. Read the room.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I don't think this comes as a surprise. There was going to be too much redundancy for some roles, and the spaces that have a lot of redundancy are usually the first to go.

Hope the people that have been laid off have a good landing.

Bengraven