Which next-gen console/system do you want the most?

• Nintendo

• Google

• Microsoft

• Sony

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
OP
bombshell

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
I clicked the topic and immediately without even looking at the poll results voted for the next PlayStation myself. Sony's track record proved themselves and I can't miss out on whatever exclusives they'll provide for the ps5. Them being #1 in the polls is a no brainer imo if you're the type to own all the consoles.
I set the poll from the beginning so that nobody could see the results before voting ;)

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
No body knows what they truly want until they see it.

More people last gen were looking forward to the xbox console than the ps4, but everything changed after we saw them.
Actually it didn't, I'll see if I can find the data because I saw it recently but it actually favoured Playstation 37% Xbox 35%.

NextGenChart31.jpg

https://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2012/05/17/gamers-reveal-next-gen-console-desires

JackLinks

Banned
Mar 21, 2019
Unsurprising

Sony was by far the most popular console this gen

The xbox one and wii u werent even relevant

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I can wait about a year after the Nextbox releases, pay $1 for 3 months to play all of their exclusive games on my PC which will be more powerful and then unsub. I'm sure it will be profitable for them in the long run as they're essentially turning Xbox into a multiplatform service but I certainly don't see any reason to buy their hardware if I'm planning on buying a PS5 anyways for Sony/Japanese games.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Back in the days of last gen everyone wanted the new Xbox right until Microsoft chucked out most of their goodwill of the 360.

Sony is on the high of the PS4, they need to figure out how to meet expectatilns

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a surprise, but it doesn't necessarily mean no interest in Xbox ecosystem. I can see myself only buying ps5 next gen but part of this is how ms is embracing the Pc platform again. Dont really need Xbox hardware anymore.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Of course. many don't know what the PS5 will cost or what games it will come out with yet are likely going to get it at launch no matter what. Even when the PS3 launched at $599 and developers hated it people bought it at the same rate as the Xbox 360. Of couse we heard all sorts of excuses why, namely because it was a 'cheap' bluray player but let's be honest, bias definitely plays a key role.

What also plays a key role is history .
I have been gaming with Sony since the PS1 days and i know what to expect from them unless they do something crazy like PS3.
Also people do have common sense to know certain games are going to be on certain system .

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
it's pretty cut and dried for me. MS have a problem with exclusive games, why would i want their console if there's nothing on there to play? They may remedy this in the coming years but for now i see nothing of value there after this gen, sunset overdrive being the only real exception.
Nintendo ain't bringing out a new console anytime soon.
Sony have the best studios and biggest exclusives, so that's the console for me.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Sony console for sure. It just has the better games and it's not even close. Anything good that comes out on the XBox is usually on PC in some form so win win.

Deleted member 52823

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2019
Surprising amount of Nintendo votes considering most people probably aren't expecting an announcement any time soon.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
Voted Nintendo even though their next system is likely a year or two away. I don't have to read rumors to know that MS/Sony are going to release consoles spec'd lower than my PC, which isn't very exciting. Nintendo is the wildcard.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Back in the days of last gen everyone wanted the new Xbox right until Microsoft chucked out most of their goodwill of the 360.

Sony is on the high of the PS4, they need to figure out how to meet expectatilns
Actually it didn't, I'll see if I can find the data because I saw it recently but it actually favoured Playstation 37% Xbox 35%.

NextGenChart31.jpg

https://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2012/05/17/gamers-reveal-next-gen-console-desires

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What also plays a key role is history .
I have been gaming with Sony since the PS1 days and i know what to expect from them unless they do something crazy like PS3.
Also people do have common sense to know certain games are going to be on certain system .
Sony definitely deserves goodwill but as I said, even with the PS3 you had quite a few loyal people who managed to keep the PS3 competive early on until Sony got the system back on track. I'm not sure what Microsoft can do because even when the Xbox 360 was firing on all cylindars it was still not walking away with it, only in the USA.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
First party exclusives + more Japanese support will always be appealing for PS.

And this gen was exclusives+japanese games + more power for most of the time

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I enjoyed the hell out of my PSOne, my PS2, my PS3 and my PS4. I am super down for the PS5. No reason for me not to be. Microsoft had their stumbles this gen after the Xbox OG and 360 so I am still wary of them and not pumped sight unseen for their next one. Nintendo isn't for me so I don't care what they do and I am excited to try Stadia. So yeah lump me in for the PS5 hype.

Nov 14, 2017
Microsoft probably sees it working this way.. The likely not lose the 30+ million people who own an Xbox one console now. They will still buy the next Xbox, pay for gold, and have subscriptions. If they can gain an extra 10 million more users next gen they'll be happy.

Bringing their games to steam is a game changer. It's more money they never had before. If 2 to 3 million copies Gears 5 are bought on there they are very happy. Halo infinite will likely be the biggest selling title on steam ever. Steam will make their first party titles relevant again. Crossplay between Steam and Xbox maybe a feature also. Bigger audience, then the games are likely to be streamed often on Twitch and Youtube gaming, that generates interest among casuals.

Winning a console race is not important for them.

Oct 27, 2017
All the old place talk... Pointless shit honestly. I was lurking there when everyone that liked TLOU was a mindless movie watcher. "Not a game, that's the usual Sony B-film!" And shit like that. So yeah, go figure.

Weeniekuns

Oct 27, 2017
Gamers aren't really that loyal to console brands. They'll jump from PS2 to 360 to PS4 to whatever is the next most appealing platform. More than half may say they want the next PlayStation now but that won't mean much in the grand scheme of things, better off waiting until they're actually revealed.

Things are a little different with digital storefronts now.... I have close to $2,000 invested into PSN/PS+ across Vita/PS3/PS4 and maybe $20 invested into XBL... Sony would have to ROYALLY FUCK UP and Microsoft would have to perform the 2nd coming of Jesus for me to switch ecosystems

Same thing with Steam, Apple App Store, etc... You never had this sort of issue with physical media.

Dajanksta

Oct 28, 2017
I'm so invested with Sony's exclusives by now that there isn't much that Xbox could do to sway me to switch to Xbox. They would need to convince me to own both consoles instead. That could be done by having some bad ass new exclusives.

LuuKyK

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
Had to go with PS5.

It's easy for me because Sony's exclusives are exactly what I look for in gaming (the more narrative/single player focused games) and it doesn't look like its changing anytime soon, in fact the quality just seems to be going up, so props to Sony.

MS exclusives are not appealing in the slightest to me and the way they handle business is just... weird. I don't feel like purchasing their stuff because I don't feel conected to them as a consumer, If that makes any sense.

Nintendo consoles are always somewhat appealing to me due to how unique they always are and how the quality of the software is always there no matter what, but considering a new one is probably far away it doesn't make much sense to vote for it.

Stadia is just whatever to me right now, as interesting as the streaming idea seems to be, I would rather wait to see if their vision actually comes true.

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks to Sony and to a lesser extent Nintendo that we as gamers can enjoy and experience single player game today because not everyone like to play online only game.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
As others have said, not really fair to include Nintendo in there. I would definitely say Sony to this question, but that is part because I prefer their exclusives over XBox and part because I'm also a fan of Nintendo and the Switch and don't want a new console from them at the moment, I would be pissed if Switch had a short lifecycle.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft's backwards compatibility effort has been unlike anything I've seen from a console manufacturer, and Sony's had a bit of a homogenization problem in its first-party productions in the last 5+ years, so it's going to be Xbox, especially if this E3 turns out well. Truthfully, the real answer is Switch Pro, but Nintendo's keeping mum about that so I'll fall back to Xbox.

thefreecheese

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised that PS5 is still dominating in the poll here. I figured it'd definitely be the lead but not with that big of a gap. I'm curious to see how that changes or doesn't after next week settles down.

QBizM

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to PS5 and PSVR2. Since Microsoft have been moving towards actually supporting PC gaming there is no reason whatsoever to look at XBOX
Bold is pretty much how I feel. Why buy an Xbox if its exclusive games will be available on PC, where most PC owners will have more powerful machines with customisable extras for those games? Seems somewhat pointless. I'd say the same for Sony as well if they had the same MO.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, all I want out of these next-gen systems is proper backwards compatibility (especially from Sony).

They tried to put in the extra effort of adding trophies to PS2 games and all sorts, no one needs that. I wish I could pop my favourite PS2 games into my PS4 and have em run. I know its a lot to ask since it's a shite ton of work to get emulators running but Microsoft have smashed it with their implementation of backwards compatibility.

Thankfully, I'll always have emulators on PC and if not then I can just run em from my modified PS2. To sum this up, I basically want a 4K capable PS2 which I guess isn't really a pressing issue.

I hope they nail this as well. I'm not much for PC emulation as i always seem to have issues with bugs while ripping, configuring or playing when it comes to PS emulators, so i hope they go all out. I know my PS3 has defied all odds and will soon die with a Warriors Death, so it would be great to continue that tradition in the best way possible on PS5.

Oct 31, 2017
Everyone want to play GOW2 and HZD2. The poll results aren't surprising to me.

Also MS putting all their games on PC means there is less of an incentive to buy the next Xbox for PC owners.

Oct 31, 2017
OK but to put things into perspective those games sold less than 15% of the total userbase.
True but there's multiple other exclusives that people wanna play and not everyone likes the same games so the percentage number is kinda useless in this context. Someone could like GOW but not like HZD, it's combination of different games and exclusives that adds to the total.

Last edited:

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So even after US woke up, PS4 still with that 70% split. Got damn. Sony better not screw the ps5 reveal it's there's for the taking.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Microsoft probably sees it working this way.. The likely not lose the 30+ million people who own an Xbox one console now. They will still buy the next Xbox, pay for gold, and have subscriptions. If they can gain an extra 10 million more users next gen they'll be happy.

Bringing their games to steam is a game changer. It's more money they never had before. If 2 to 3 million copies Gears 5 are bought on there they are very happy. Halo infinite will likely be the biggest selling title on steam ever. Steam will make their first party titles relevant again. Crossplay between Steam and Xbox maybe a feature also. Bigger audience, then the games are likely to be streamed often on Twitch and Youtube gaming, that generates interest among casuals.

Winning a console race is not important for them.

How so ? 10-15 million bought Xbox one at launch expected it to be atleast good as X360 and coming from good will of 360. There were are alot of game announcements like TITANFALL,MCC, Quantum break,scalebound,dead rising,ryse,crackdown,sea of thieves that made XOne as competitive product. Now all games are released and most of them are very mediocre that will is supergone. Those people bought at launch wont ever touch xbox again getting 499$console and shitty kinect to that being useless in a year

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Also the next Xbox was announced to not have any next gen only games for a few years.

So right off the bat they're saying it's just a another Xbox one with prettier graphics. Nothing that will say "this game was not possible on the previous generation"