Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Stupid analogy.

And path B isn't THAT different from A.

Please try again to defend this internet mob.

"Hey guys let's ruin this guy's professional career because he missed a part of the game."

Again, GROW THE FCK UP!

Nobody I saw is trying to ruin his career. The real issue I take with this , is that the review score itself should really be called into question. I honestly don't think review scores should carry as much weight as they do, but they sure as hell matter. For metacritic scores effecting pay checks, for certain companies to continue franchises, for consumers, ect. They aren't the most important thing in the world, but they do carry a certain weight. The odd arbitrary .2 adjustment is weird and it doesn't even seem like it was integrated correctly into the review. It was like an apology .2 which is a really poor way to fix a problem. Ign has had a long string of issues over the years and it's culminated in the people's perception of the company. Their reviews carry a ton of weight due to the sheer amount of viewership as well. It's a bad look for gaming reviewers and ign should really try to do better.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
The splash screen makes it sound like NG+ with a "true ending," which most players (myself included) never bother with in other games. Reviewers especially.
But it says second run not new game plus which is a different thing, it's like playing only through one ending of nier:automata, you don't do that. Just makes me wonder if devs will bother making different endings since players don't want to find it on their own.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
This is a misrepresenation of my post. I literally just said "he also blocked one of our members for asking him about it haha". I didn't say it was a huge mark against him or a big deal.

You specifically included it in the OP as if it was notable information. Don't include it if you don't want it to be seen as such.

OP
OP
Datajoy

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
One if not the biggest gaming board on the internet ridiculing this person doesn't have the potential to negatively impact his career as a gaming journalist?

Come on now.
So he fucked up in a big public way, and a bunch of people online laughed at him. And your analysis would be that the people laughing ruined his career and not the fuckup?

It is a moot point anyway, since obviously nothing will happen to his career. He is a longtime senior member of IGN and one of their public faces. And he copped to the mistake and fixed it. I don't know why you are making this out to be such a big deal.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a NG+. This is a remake of a game that did the exact same thing. There is zero excuse for not knowing. And Capcom have been very clear about it, as is that screen you get when you finish it.
Actually here's an excuse: maybe you didn't play RE2 when it came out.

Another excuse: Capcom named the shit poorly. If you didn't already know, it sounds like NG+ to many. To me, to others in tbis thread, and to this reviewer, apparently.

Whoa, there are two "excuses" right there! Turns out there are more than zero after all. Micking quotes because needing an "excuse" to not know something about a video game is one of the more embarrassing ideas I've come across.

soulzonik

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
So...

I should play Leon first, beat the game, then play Claire second run ? To have a "both perspectives" story ? Instead of just replaying the same stuff with Leon and Claire right away ?

You can play as Claire first and Leon as second. The result will be almost the same. In my case, I chose to play Leon and then Claire.

But, yes, I suggest that you play first the character that you want then play the 2nd run with the other one. And not just play the 1st run again with the other one.

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018
Stupid analogy.

And path B isn't THAT different from A.

Please try again to defend this internet mob.

"Hey guys let's ruin this guy's professional career because he missed a part of the game."

Again, GROW THE FCK UP!

I will tell my boss about mobing and growing up the next time I fuck up at my job.

Like seriously people where do you come from? This is a payed job, not a goodwill garage sale.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
One if not the biggest gaming board on the internet ridiculing this person doesn't have the potential to negatively impact his career as a gaming journalist?

Come on now.

Not to mention he's very much getting shit on Twitter too.

With the exact same logic behind it.

Which should maybe make some people here think harder about their stances.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017

Another excuse: Capcom named the shit poorly. If you didn't already know, it sounds like NG+ to many. To me, to others in tbis thread, and to this reviewer, apparently.

Whoa, there are two "excuses" right there! Turns out there are more than zero after all. Micking quotes because needing an "excuse" to not know something about a video game is one of the more embarrassing ideas I've come across.

Are you kidding me? It's literally his job to know about the game and write about it. It's pure incompetence.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But it says second run not new game plus which is a different thing, it's like playing only through one ending of nier:automata, you don't do that. Just makes me wonder if devs will bother making different endings since players don't want to find it on their own.
I absolutely would've done that in Automata if not for podcasts.

...and I'm not sure why "second run" is supposed to make it seem like a critical story path? To me that just makes it sound like a NH+ mode, because it implies that you're just playing the same thing again.

Zephyr

Nov 9, 2017
Spain

Well, If you work in the game industry you should know about those things, right? Capcom did name it poorly, i agree, but if i'm going to review a game i'd try to learn everything i could about it to give the best review possible, just saying..

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That poor Era dude who tried to explained it to the guy and got blocked is the most hilarious thing here.

Man you have the patience of a saint. I would have just called the last 2 guys before Laughing Banana dipshits and reported them for arguing in bad faith as well as well as personal attacks.

People on Era can call me whatever they'd like, I don't mind that. What I mind is being told I'm wrong by someone who asserts they are right and provides no evidence to support their claims and discredits someone who has worked in this field for 5 years as "childish" among other things.

But hey, what do I know? I'm just a "dumb fuck" journalist.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Do some of you just live in a world where gamergate doesn't exist? Or what?

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, If you work in the game industry you should know about those things, right? Capcom did name it poorly, i agree, but if i'm going to review a game i'd try to learn everything i could about it to give the best review possible, just saying..
A review is just someone's opinion. This guy played the game and shared his opinion. Capcom's intent wasn't clear to him, so he missed something. That's Capcom's failure.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
So, are "first" playthroughs as Leon and Claire similar? Or are they actually unique? Is the scenario system more like classic RE2 where the structure for Claire A/Leon A is mostly the same, or are the "default" stories for Leon and Claire (without any game completion or "2nd run" stuff) more distinct from each other?

Claire A (1st run) and Leon A (1st run) are pretty much the same thing at the start, until the middle where they meet Ada or Sherry (which are different of course) and then the endings will be the same / similar. Same with Leon B (2nd run) and Claire B (2nd run) are similar.

So the idea is to play Claire A / Leon B or Leon A / Claire B for the complete story and the B play through gets the real final ending.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Happened to me and my buddy too back in the day.

But do those reviewers really work completely alone? They are the only ones playing the games and then they write their review without consulting their colleagues?

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
When did Era turn into GameFAQs? People make mistakes, it's normal.

This thread is embarrasing to this community.

Jul 17, 2018

A review is just someone's opinion. This guy played the game and shared his opinion. Capcom's intent wasn't clear to him, so he missed something. That's Capcom's failure.

I think people are right to expect a bit of research from a professional game reviewer from a high-profile gaming site.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Some of you guys act like through making this mistake he endangered public safety or some shit.

It's really, really not that serious.

lazerface66

Jan 9, 2018
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
You guys are definitively overreacting to this. It's a factual mistake and those happen all the time and in every type of media. The way it looks to me, it's just internet outrage because internet outrage. He played enough of the game to score it (no, you don't need to finish a game in order to score it, even though it is desirable) and it's not really fair to ask for someone to be fired over stupid nonsense like this. It's not plagiarism. And that whole "you can't spell ignorant without IGN" is really just mean and stupid.

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I will tell my boss about mobing and growing up the next time I fuck up at my job.

Like seriously people where do you come from? This is a payed job, not a goodwill garage sale.
Absolutely disgusting.

There's a difference between ONE PERSON aka your boss shitting on you because you made a mistake and an INTERNET MOB shitting on you.

What am I going to read next holy fck

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think people are right to expect a bit of research from a professional game reviewer from a high-profile gaming site.
Nah.

That's one of the biggest reasons game reviews are a joke compared to film and TV. In those mediums, people understand that a review is just that person's opinion. It's just an individual explaining how a piece of media affected them. There's no right or wrong to it. No "research" required.

Dark_Chris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Czech republic
This isn't the first time this reviewer fucked up. He should be fired. Mistakes like that cannot be tolerated imo, since reviews have a wide spread and can actually influence people's decission on buying said game. Not everyone will re-read or re-watch the review now.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
Mistakes can be made, it is only human. And they corrected it pretty fast. Question is, does nobody double check the review and the facts before posting it online.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
I absolutely would've done that in Automata if not for podcasts.

...and I'm not sure why "second run" is supposed to make it seem like a critical story path? To me that just makes it sound like a NH+ mode, because it implies that you're just playing the same thing again.
Well that's why we have the internet, so people won't miss stuff like that.

Jul 17, 2018
Nah.

That's one of the biggest reasons game reviews are a joke compared to film and TV. In those mediums, people understand that a review is just that person's opinion. It's just an individual explaining how a piece of media affected them. There's no right or wrong to it. No "research" required.

It's very telling you're saying that. Maybe dig a little deeper into movie and book criticism. Pauline Kael, Roger Ebert, Sean Burns. Hell, even AV Club people know they can't just write about their opinions on shows and try analyzing stuff.

And just try saying something like that to a literary critic. You'll get laughed out of the room, I can guarantee that.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
You guys are definitively overreacting to this. It's a factual mistake and those happen all the time and in every type of media. The way it looks to me, it's just internet outrage because internet outrage. He played enough of the game to score it (no, you don't need to finish a game in order to score it, even though it is desirable) and it's not really fair to ask for someone to be fired over stupid nonsense like this. It's not plagiarism. And that whole "you can't spell ignorant without IGN" is really just mean and stupid.
He obviously didn't play enough to score it if the correction changed the score.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't the first time this reviewer fucked up. He should be fired. Mistakes like that cannot be tolerated imo, since reviews have a wide spread and can actually influence people's decission on buying said game. Not everyone will re-read or re-watch the review now.

just out of curiosity did you read the actual review because it was positively glowing and i can't imagine someone reading it, seeing the "the only real downside is there's not much difference in the campaigns" and peacing out on it. (or that this hypothetical person only reads one review on one website once to make purchasing decisions)

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
Lol wow this is exactly why I don't bother with that website, haven't been on there in years.

Liam1884

Oct 30, 2017

Fire for making two minor mistakes. That's ResetEra for you!

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia

Hahaha, I could understand this sentiment perhaps if the score pre-retraction was a 5 or something. It was an 8.8, hardly a score that would make someone seeing it say 'I don't want to buy it!'

This is shameful yes but I really do think some of you need to tone down a bit regarding the gravity of the situation. Unlike the situation with Miucin, It really is not a big deal.

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
So he fucked up in a big public way, and a bunch of people online laughed at him. And your analysis would be that the people laughing ruined his career and not the fuckup?

It is a moot point anyway, since obviously nothing will happen to his career. He is a longtime senior member of IGN and one of their public faces. And he copped to the mistake and fixed it. I don't know why you are making this out to be such a big deal.
Why it's a big deal you ask?

You don't find it utterly disgusting that an internet mob is sh*tting on a person because he made a mistake?

How will you try to defend this disgusting behavior next?

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
When did Era turn into GameFAQs? People make mistakes, it's normal.

This thread is embarrasing to this community.

I think it's more the fact that IGN seem to be making a lot of mistakes lately, mistakes which really shouldn't be happening, as they are failing to deliver actual facts about the games they are reviewing. Boarderlands 2 VR, Ace Combat 7 and now RE2.....

People don't have to agree with the options of the reviewer but they should at least be presenting the real facts and info about the game they are supposed to be reviewing.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
So path A is 8.8/10 and bath B is 0.2/10?

I might just skip path B then since it's so bad

It's a mistake but it's not just one guys mistake, it's the writers mistake, and then it's the editor who approved its mistake

It obviously makes them look utterly incompetent because last year they had a serial plagiarist on the books

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
No, it's his job to play the game and share his opinions on it. That's it.

You sound like one of those "objective reviews" proponents. Don't do that.

I'll do exactly what the fuck I like, thanks. The review from possibly the largest gaming review site in the world should know what it's on about. End of.

Oct 28, 2017
Well that's why we have the internet, so people won't miss stuff like that.
In Nier Automata they had to add this warning at the end of ending A because they knew so many people stopped playing the first Nier after the first ending.
At a quick glance that menu for Resident Evil isn't super clear and I could see how someone could mistake that for a new game run if they weren't paying attention.
nier_automata_20170409002812.jpg

keidash

Jan 31, 2018
How can a second campaign that doubles the size of the game only add 0.2 to the score? Another question also is how can they give an 8.8 firstly with that huge complaint about the second campaign and later edit with a couple of lines... they're not serious. I'm pretty sure they'll talk about nostalgia also in the review when I'm mostly sure they didn't even play the original...

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
So path A is 8.8/10 and bath B is 0.2/10?

I might just skip path B then since it's so bad

It's a mistake but it's not just one guys mistake, it's the writers mistake, and then it's the editor who approved its mistake

It obviously makes them look utterly incompetent because last year they had a serial plagiarist on the books
I agree IGN as a whole has shown incompetence.

Shitting on IGN is ok, but not on individuals.

Pagoto93

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Seems like an honest mistake and Daemon is one of the biggest names there, obviously he's competent at his job.

It's bizarre how people are kicking up such a fuss.