• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcelloF

"This guy are sick"
Dec 9, 2020
You can use the excuse they didn't know what it meant, but, I dunno, I think it's kinda part of Sony's and the sexist development team's job to know and make sure nothing like this makes it in when they make a global product like this 🤷‍♂️

Mar 11, 2020
I don't think this studio has earned the benefit of the doubt, personally. Quite the opposite.
Yeah i'm with you on this from everything i have seen from them and the main guy's previous games.

Also i'm a bit baffled at so many not knowing this, even outside America, this isn't America only, def english only? Like i came in and immediately was like, oh that's pretty bad. I could see it as an accident but do they not have English playtesters that should catch something like this?

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
This sounds very American indeed.

For me hard R is a very violent film.

Yeah. I always used hard R for a very violent/sexual movie.

The racist hard R is a very American thing that doesn't really exist outside of its borders. As a Canadian who tries to keep on top of what should and shouldn't be said, I had never heard of that expression until the Linus Tech Tips video.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is the graffiti actually being individually placed by hand? If it really is just one of several reused "stamps" I wouldn't be shocked if their placement was handled procedurally which could make stuff like this hard to catch

Ryno

Oct 25, 2017
Oddly enough I've heard this term used more in internet spaces more so than anything else. I can understand a Korean dev not knowing that it's also used as a racial term but other English speaking communities? I don't buy it

Diplo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Florida
User Banned (1 month): Dismissing racism, recent prior for female representation
I swear people just look for things to be mad about.

Just enioy the game, I doubt this meant any racism.

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
I'd give the devs the benefit of the doubt for this one as most Asians don't use the Hard R terms really, probably even more so with Koreans. It's an American term right?

koreans are generally too busy being mad about a hand emoji to go out of their way to figure out how people are insulting each other in english just so they can be as intentionally offensive as possible on a global scale

Turnscr3w

Jan 16, 2022
I have to wonder how "unintentional" it really was given there's also this sign:

nthf68v70brc1.jpeg

That being said I don't think the "Hard R" was intentional in a racist sense, but more-so a reference to "rated R" and such, given the rest of the content of the game.

And who knows maybe both these actually WERE unintentional... But I'm still gonna side eye it regardless. Glad Sony is patching out the most egregious one at least.
Yup, they knew what they were doing.

Zemoco

Jan 12, 2021
Although I have heard of hard R , didn't know it was slang to specifically to refer to the n word (And I'm black). I've used it to describe the R movie rating.

Seems like just a mistake and only really knowable for someone whose an American anyway.

03-AALIYAH

Jul 21, 2023
For some more context (if I'm wrong someone please correct me, as English isn't my native language), hard R refers to the version that ends with -er instead of -a. The latter is the one that's commonly used in everyday talk, while the former is the one you'll most likely see racist idiots yell.
Thanks for the additionnal information !
(but yeah, frankly, while I do like language idiosyncrasies in general, this type of slurs is not the one I really wish to expand my knowledge into)

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Whenever I come into there sorts of threads I like to remind my non-Black friends that -a and -er are both off limits to you.

I've seen too many people get the false impression that dropping the er makes it ok for all, and they get themselves in a jam.

I'm black (British) and it's never occurred to me that "Hard-R" is a racist term. Saying the n-word with a hard R, sure, but on its own as a euphemism for the n-word itself? News to me. I've been called the n-word plenty of times but never a "Hard-R". This is honestly news to me and comes across as extremely US-centric.

This game is problematic in a lot of ways as it is, but if I didn't know about this then it wouldn't shock me that a Korean person wouldn't.

I mean, Hard -R is a description of how someone is used the N-word and their intentions behind it.

No one should use any variation of the word if they aren't Black, but if someone who isn't Black is running a gag about Hard-R, then the punchline is "I quietly think of using the most offensive term for Black people"

Last edited:

Negatorous

Jul 14, 2018
I've heard of "R instead of A" before but never HARD R. I doubt it was intentional considering who made the game.

brain_

What is a tag? A miserable pile of words.
May 13, 2021
MO
I swear people just look for things to be mad about.

Just enioy the game, I doubt this meant any racism.
I swear people will look over anything just to be able to say "I was right game is good!"

Dismissing you like that feels pretty shitty doesn't it? Game has a lot of problematic shit that should rightfully be called out. The fact that it keeps coming out of the same game and company should say a lot.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
First time I see this term.

With all the respect If this term was in a nintendo game anybody will say this intentional.

Seems very clear a copy/paste graffiti near a shop.
Lol the console wars never stop!

On topic: The game is full of sexism and very egregious shit, so I can see an argument for someone trying to be funny and "hiding" this message in the game, it's not like the studio fosters a culture of empathy and respect. Good thing it's getting patched out, but I can already see all the idiots crying about it on Twitter, I wonder how long it'll take for the "censorship" card to be played.

Oct 31, 2017
shift up is a 250+ employee company. they were valued at 1B+ dollars. its a dumb mistake, one they could have easily fixed it themselves. not sure how they are not to blame.

companies arent people, they have all the resources to look out for this kind of thing. either they didnt use it or they used it badly, either way they fucked up and they are being called out. this isnt some major injustice
From the description of what this means, unless you were born in the USA this is a super obscure thing to know, doesn't matter the size of the company if none of them grew up in the US.

Dec 2, 2021
I don't believe it considering I saw a screenshot of a sign that also said Boobs. Also
R
shop
is an weird thing for someone to just make randomly

radiotoxic

Oct 27, 2017
Also i'm a bit baffled at so many not knowing this, even outside America, this isn't America only, def english only? Like i came in and immediately was like, oh that's pretty bad. I could see it as an accident but do they not have English playtesters that should catch something like this?
I didn't know about the term until this very thread, BUT I should add that English is not my main language. I'm from the country ruled by that sociopath king wannabe that is good friends with the Tesla guy (Argentina).

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
i think i will apply hanlon's razor, but i mean the studio hasn't really earned the benefit of the doubt, so it is not implausible it was intentional either.

i will say, if it was unintentional on the developer's part, it's kind of wild no one on sony's localization or QA teams caught it

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
From the description of what this means, unless you were born in the USA this is a super obscure thing to know, doesn't matter the size of the company if none of them grew up in the US.
It does matter when said company wants to localize and sell their product to the US Market. This isn't difficult to understand.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
I can't help but to laugh at that image. It's damn near parody. I really doubt it was intentional.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have to wonder how "unintentional" it really was given there's also this sign:

nthf68v70brc1.jpeg

That being said I don't think the "Hard R" was intentional in a racist sense, but more-so a reference to "rated R" and such, given the rest of the content of the game.

And who knows maybe both these actually WERE unintentional... But I'm still gonna side eye it regardless. Glad Sony is patching out the most egregious one at least.
I mean this one is definitely intentional, but it's also clearly one asset as opposed to two separate things that just happened to be in close proximity like the hard r one, which could be intentional or completely accidental and possibly just a result of unfortunate procedural placements, assuming people are being honest about the "Hard" being a generic texture that pops up all over the place

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
People insisting this should have been caught yet we're here in a thread with predominantly Americans who didnt even know this was considered "slang" or a "slur" how the hell do you expect a foreign company without that exposure to even catch it? It's a random piece of art that unfortunately lined up with another sign in the environment.

People need to chill the fuck out. Remove it or whatever but acting like it should have been easily caught as if someone wrote the actual word on the wall or something is ridiculous.

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely. I would say this falls more on Sony as the publisher, since their partners are Korean devs, so it's their job to catch these kinds of things.

Of course it is. See how many people outside the US are saying that for them it was a totally unknown thing.
This is the page on the N-word on the SK version of Wikipedia. Very common reference site used by my Korean friends:

A slang term derogatory to black people in English . It is a racist word that comes from the Latin word 'Niger' , meaning black . When it is inevitably mentioned, it is usually referred to as the N-word , Nigga is referred to as Soft A , and Nigger is referred to as Hard R. This is because of the difference in nuance, which will be explained later.

Third sentence of the first section. If an SK developer wanted to be a racist little shit, it would take MINIMAL amounts of research to find this stealthy alternative.

Considering the very similar "BOO_B" graffiti from another section of the game, it's not hard to believe that the environment artist was using this as a way of inserting edgelord shit.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
People insisting this should have been caught yet we're here in a thread with predominantly Americans who didnt even know this was considered "slang" or a "slur" how the hell do you expect a foreign company without that exposure to even catch it? It's a random piece of art that unfortunately lined up with another sign in the environment.

People need to chill the fuck out. Remove it or whatever but acting like it should have been easily caught as if someone wrote the actual word on the wall or something is ridiculous.

It was Sony's job to catch this. The publisher, who wants to sell this game in America considering how hard they've been marketing it.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

It's the kind of thing that can be caught if you hire an outside group to go over the game and look for problems like this. There are people whose literal jobs are to catch things like this.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was a term to describe someone using a very racist term, rather than the hard R being racist in and of itself. Such as "omg that guy just used the hard R". I had very rarely heard this terminology until the whole Linus fiasco, but I imagine it comes up allot when talking about MAGA idiots and racist uncles...

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
This thread makes me think of the random theory of life creation. That if you throw enough shit together enough times, you will eventually get life. Yeah I am sure that could happen with a super specific racist term. But I doubt it.

Shit happens WAY to often, folks just love to tell people being pissed on that it's just raining.

00Quan[T]

Banned
May 12, 2022
User Banned (1 month): Dismissing concerns of racism, dismissive priors
The world isn't american, not everyone has to know about what the implication of everything is in America...

m23

Oct 25, 2017

You realize that Sony published this right? They are also responsible for catching things like this before release. If they can't, this is why you hire companies to review the content.

Oct 28, 2017
Nope. Hard R has always been slang for movies on the border of X/NR and R.

yeup. To me, "hard R" is MOST associated with movies more so than the N-word. though more recently, the term "hard R" is used to describe a more racist pronunciation of the N-word, generally by white american racists. they are right to patch it, but let's relax a little bit here. lot of people in here acting like it was clearly intentional

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
We are not going to have a thread which is going around in circles on if something is racist or not.

Thread is remaining locked.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.