TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
Yeah, really enjoyed RE2 Remake, but calling it better that REmake, nope. It is literally a perfect remake. Should be #1.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
No Link's Awakening for Switch? Seemed excellent during my playthrough.
What's the argument for it being better than anything on the list?

Interesting art style. Played worse than the last top down Zelda game on 3DS. Create a dungeon feature didn't add up to much. No update ever fixed the performance issues. Pretty much came and went.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Demons souls for me is the best bust can't really be mad at RE2 being first, it really is amazing. FF7R being there is a bit weird though lol, despite having the name doesn't change the fact that it really isn't in the end, despite being a really good game

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
replace FF7 with Prince of Persia on the snes and it's essentially a good list, though obv I would shuffle things around

Renmazuo

Dec 26, 2019
It still feels surreal that Live-A-Live of all games got a remake, and such a quality one too. Definitely deserves to be in the ranking.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Bit of a boring topic but the list is alright I guess. Popped in to see if Live a Live made it and I'm glad it did.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
The top one for me will prb always be RE 1 Remake. It managed to not only update the visuals to gorgeous new levels, but also create an entirely new game that was both familiar but also new and different enough that it was it's own thing. It does not make the original obsolete either as they are so different. So instead of just painting over an existing drawing with new colors it instead created one of the best games ever made (imo of course).
Demon's Souls always felt like it was too afraid to change from the original, they should've created THEIR version of Demon's Souls, not just painted over From Software's game.
Re 2 Remake started out great but suffers a lesser last half/third and from a mangled story and lack of content. They actually managed to make some of the dialogue as bad as the original, quite a feat really.
Metroid Zero mission is another great remake that is not afraid of being a new game inspired by the original instead of just a repaint.
Haven't played the FF 7 remake so can't comment on that yet.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
FF7 Remake is like is Metal Gear Solid 2 gets a Remake but it's only the Tanker mission.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I think the low frame rate actually works better for the game in the original for some reason.
Cant agree with this. Low frame rate is always worse for me no matter what, 60FPS for SOTC is the biggest thing the remake has going for it, its better than the 30 the PS3 had, and its leagues better than... whatever that was on the PS2.

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
Heck, throw MGS1 on there, too. It's essentially a 3D remake of Metal Gear 2 but it's a sequel.

metalgear.fandom.com

Similarities between Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake and Metal Gear Solid

Many of the gameplay innovations commonly attributed to Metal Gear Solid were in fact introduced eight years earlier by its direct predecessor Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, which was never released outside of Japan until it was packaged with Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence in 2006. As such, Retro...
The same could be said with Starfox 64, which funnily enough also had a pretty good remake.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
It does not make the original obsolete either as they are so different.
I think that's the incredible thing about REmake. I think pretty much everyone agrees it's a 100% upgrade over the original and yet, it doesn't completely invalidate it. If anything, the remake reinforces just how much damn solid game design was packed into the original.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
heartgold and soulsilver should be number 1

all the content of the originals. hell, they made kanto how it used to be and added even more

FF7 is like 10% of the original game lmao

OaklandKao

Mar 21, 2022
heartgold and soulsilver should be number 1

all the content of the originals. hell, they made kanto how it used to be and added even more

FF7 is like 10% of the original game lmao
They removed customizing your room, which was something I always liked about Gen 2. Especially when you could see your room in 3D in Stadium 2.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Came to echo the sentiment that REMake/Resident Evil 1 remake is still the best remake of all time over the Resident Evil 2 Remake (Mind you, I still think RE2 Remake is one of my favorite games released in the last decade) but I won't complain since the series is still recognized strongly here.

Let's see if I feel the RE4 Remake would join this top 10 list soon.

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised at number one, for me personally having Mr. X hunt you constantly is annoying as shit and ruins the remake for me.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
HGSS loses a lot for me by losing it's base as a sequel to a previous game. That "3 years ago X happened" just doesn't come across at all. As a standalone thing it's in an odd place.

What's technically impressive about it doesn't really translate either. GSC is like "I can't believe they did this on a Gameboy", HGSS is just another Pokemon DS game where you really miss the Gen 5 QoL features like continuously using items.

Also, not a fan of adding the forced legendary subplot and the predestination stuff with the Kimono Girls. Loved the battle gauntlet with them, but the little sister running in and being like "I saw Lugia" in the water makes zero sense. Works with Ho-Oh tho, but I strongly dislike the legendary trend that started with Gen 3, arguably Crystal.

There's more game. Better? Eh.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Solid list. I think the debate around FF7 is fun, even though I think the correct answer is a boring "a game can be more than one thing simultaneously".

Oct 28, 2017
When FF7R came out originally I was very forgiving of it, but then Yakuza: Like a Dragon hit and proved you could have a modern game with turn based combat. Haven't been able to look at FF7R the same since, us fans of the original gameplay were robbed to try and appeal to a new generation (and did that even work?).

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
No way dude. REmake 1 is the ideal video game remake since it demonstrates a truly generational leap in fidelity, quality, and style over the original, while retaining everything materially valuable to the original game, overhauling its atmosphere masterfully, and including a ton of new stuff including new weapons, new puzzles, new rooms and areas, new enemies and mechanics, new boss fights and story/lore details, and a bunch of new gameplay and difficulty modes for replay value. It's a completely additive experience that doesn't put anything from the original on the chopping block.

REmake 2 for example also does a lot of amazing things compared to RE2, and it IS a damn good remake, but it's still missing some areas, features, enemies, and weapons from the original game.

Perfectly put.

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
Tactics Ogre should be up there I think. And FFVII "Remake" probably shouldn't be, in part because it's a work in progress.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
The disgusting UI alone should exclude Demon's Souls from the top 10.

Remake 2 at first place is fine

Oct 25, 2017
No Twials of Mana? I actually think the remake is way more fun than the original and adds a bunch of cool things like
-Searching environments for treasure compared to the lack of exploring in the original
-Jumping
-New Post game boss fight
-Combat is a lot of fun and loved the fact you can dodge enemy attack compared to the original they'll always connect and sometimes wipe out your party.

Smooth1e

Jun 5, 2021
A bunch of people already said this but FF7 being here just feels weird. And I love the remake, but it's an entirely different game honestly. Other than that, solid list but REmake 1 and 2 should switch places

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
THPS 1+2 is flawless. I'd put it in the top 3.
I'm someone that prefers their remakes more 1 to 1, but Tony Hawk is easily Top 3. Great graphics and performance. New and old music. The online sucked at launch, but they fixed and added to it. The additional controls moves compliment the already existing levels. All that for $40. Others have done much less and asked for more. I can point to Tony Hawk for other games and be like "this is what you're supposed to do".

Complaints:
Characters weirdly can't wear glasses.
And the clothing situation is a bit grindy.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
No way dude. REmake 1 is the ideal video game remake since it demonstrates a truly generational leap in fidelity, quality, and style over the original, while retaining everything materially valuable to the original game, overhauling its atmosphere masterfully, and including a ton of new stuff including new weapons, new puzzles, new rooms and areas, new enemies and mechanics, new boss fights and story/lore details, and a bunch of new gameplay and difficulty modes for replay value. It's a completely additive experience that doesn't put anything from the original on the chopping block.

REmake 2 for example also does a lot of amazing things compared to RE2, and it IS a damn good remake, but it's still missing some areas, features, enemies, and weapons from the original game.

RE2 is so different than the original, it's practically a reimagining. I've never played the original RE (I did play the original RE2), but the 1st remake still feels like a decades old game with updated visuals, all new additions aside. Nothing wrong with enjoying old games - but it's essentially the same design.

RE2 Remake feels like an entirely new game that retains the feel of the original. It feels like a modern game, too. As a remake, it is a bigger, more ambitious leap.

That doesn't mean you can't like the first one more, but deducting points from the second one due to some side content being reduced while the main content is basically completely reenvisioned and reinterpreted seems wrong.

For me, RE1 Remake is just too old school in terms of design and I wonder if some of you are looking at it through nostalgia glasses. RE2 Remake is an amazing modern game just as it is an amazing remake. It deserves the number 1 spot.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No it's not? The Thing was a direct prequel to The Thing (1982). 2011 ends with the opening to the 1982.

FF7R is a remake of the first part of FF7 with a few changes and a different ending.

Yes it is?

The Thing (2011) was marketed as a remake and its real relation to The Thing (1982) was a plot twist revealed in the ending.

FFVII Remake was marketed as a remake and its real relation to FFVII was a plot twist revealed near the ending.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
It's a remake, not a remaster.

Ok, having never played the original (my first RE entry was the original 2) - I wouldn't know, but I assumed it was a remaster due to the tank controls, ancient feeling room transitions and, honestly, some of the dialogue.

Last edited:

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020

Exactly, REmake remains the best example of perfecting a game when remaking it

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Live a Live is such a great experience on Switch. If that is how all "HD-2D" games could look going forward as opposed to TS and OT I would be so happy.

Oh and SOTC would not be on this list for me, just can't get past the art style change. Had the same issue with Demon's Soul but to a lesser extent.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Even with the changes FF7R essentially still functions as a remake.
RE2 Remake is also more of a reimagining, but it just feels like argueing semantics at that point.

Good list overall, Zero Mission and Black Mesa are nice inclusions besides the obvious stuff.