• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I've never minded them in the horror genre, but I do think they take up waaaaay too much of the genre and most of them are rubbish. Sure, people know of the good ones like Soma and Amnesia and Outlast, but if you look around there's some real trash there. God, I'd probably kill for a legit Silent Hill. Hell, I'd kill for a mediocre Silent Hill again....
I won't knock people's taste, those games are just not for me. The supernatural types (Amnesia) I have a bit more stomach for, but the ones where your character refuses to fight back against humans, I ain't got no time for, as my character being such a weakling just builds agitation upon my frustration. I'm like "HOW ABOUT YOU DEFEND YOURSELF GODDAMN."

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The original Silent Hill on the PS1 is a must play for any horror fan. Not only does it remain one of the most terrifying horror games of all time, but it also started one of the most iconic horror game series that would serve as inspiration for other game developers and filmmakers. The Upside down from Stranger Things, for instance, was inspired by Silent Hill.

The tank controls take some getting used to and the voice acting is only marginally less laughable than the original Resident Evil, but as a survival horror experience I think it's aged pretty well.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
If you want something that's not that scary while still being great, find Eternal Darkness. Also Resident Evil 2 is not too scary and is one of the best.

If you want to go all out, get Silent Hill 1-3, Resident Evil Remake, or Fatal Frame.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill 1
Resident Evil 2

Enjoy the best games the genre has to offer.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
-The Siren series. Now these are kind of hard to recommend as they are pretty hard and obtuse (I wouldn't even recommend playing the first one without a guide by your side). But damn, they are probably the scariest games I've played, probably the most unique horror series I've encountered in terms of gameplay mechanics that supplement the horror. So basically, not something for a horror newbie, but I would definitely keep them in mind if you get hooked onto the genre.

The Siren series is the best horror series around IMO (a true successor to the Silent Hill series after it started going downhill), but definitely not for a beginner. I will say that if you want to get into them, going in reverse order is probably best since Siren PS4 is easier than Siren 2 which is easier than Siren 1. They're all well worth playing though.

I also highly recommend Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. It's a bit buggy & some of the segments aren't very good, but when it's on point, it's fantastic.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
Here is a list of all the horror games that I think have aged well.

-Alone in The Dark (1992) it started it all.
-Clock Tower The First Fear (1995) (SNES english patch can be downloaded)
-Resident Evil (1996)
-Clock Tower (1997)
-Resident Evil 2 (1998)
-Silent Hill 1 (1999)
-Resident Evil 3 (1999)
-Dino Crisis 1 (1999)
-Parasite Eve 2 (2000)
-Silent Hill 2 (2001)
-Fatal Frame (2001)
-Resident Evil Gamecube (2002) play the HD Remaster if you don't have a Gamecube or a Wii
-Clock Tower 3 (2002)
-Fatal Frame 2 (2003) Play the Wii version
-Silent Hill 3 (2003)
-Fatal Frame 3 (2005)
-Haunting Ground (2005)
-Resudent Evil 7 (2017) PLAY IT IN VR!!!
-White Day: A Labyrinth Named School (2017)

There, I've listed all the horror games that I think you MUST PLAY IN ORDER!!!

I still haven't played some notable ones like the first Parasite Eve or Kuon, and I didn't include some more recent titles, but I'm sure other poster will cover them.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
If you have any questions, just ask me or Dusk Golem, he knows his way around horror games, and even made some himself!

I really think my list covers the games that aged well and are still enjoyable to this day.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
I know I left out some cult classics like Eternal Darkness and Rule of Rose, but these games (The latter mostly) requires you to be committed to look past certain flaws.

As I said, I've left a lot of games out that you might enjoy, but try to play the games I've listed first and then see if you can handle some of the unlisted games.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
The only thing horrifying in RE5 is the abysmal partner AI.

It's a fun co-op experience but playing by yourself is a nightmare for all the wrong reasons.

Intentional or not the bad AI partner does aid in the tension and I alluded to that. It's like tank controls and slow movement being a factor in other horror games. An element of fear comes from dying, and dying due to your partner was a part of that for me, for better or worse.

There's a reason you move somewhat (but not too much) clunky in games like TLOU and Dead Space. I don't care if it's a reach when I mentioned RE5 because again, I feel it added to the tension. Even with a human partner you have to worry about what they're doing, healing, sharing inventory, etc. I'd say it's part of the game and part of the tension. I refuse to knock that aspect of RE5 like everyone else does. I think it's blown out of proportion how bad the AI supposedly is anyway. It's a matter of perspective and I don't feel like making that predictable complaint that didn't even bother me.

Like, everyone sees RE5 as the dumb action game when I argue that RE4 is more of an action game in terms of gameplay and tone but everyone glosses over that. I mean, the Island in RE4 and all those enemies? Come on. Worst part of the game, too.

Speaking of The Last Of Us, I'm kinda surprised I forgot to mention it earlier. I guess maybe cuz it can be a pretty challenging game and the OP mentions they're an amateur.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Intentional or not the bad AI partner does aid in the tension and I alluded to that. It's like tank controls and slow movement being a factor in other horror games. An element of fear comes from dying, and dying due to your partner was a part of that for me, for better or worse.

There's a reason you move somewhat (but not too much) clunky in games like TLOU and Dead Space. I don't care if it's a reach when I mentioned RE5 because again, I feel it added to the tension. Even with a human partner you have to worry about what they're doing, healing, sharing inventory, etc. I'd say it's part of the game and part of the tension. I refuse to knock that aspect of RE5 like everyone else does. I think it's blown out of proportion how bad the AI supposedly is anyway. It's a matter of perspective and I don't feel like making that predictable complaint that didn't even bother me.

Like, everyone sees RE5 as the dumb action game when I argue that RE4 is more of an action game in terms of gameplay and tone but everyone glosses over that. I mean, the Island in RE4 and all those enemies? Come on. Worst part of the game, too.

Speaking of The Last Of Us, I'm kinda surprised I forgot to mention it earlier. I guess maybe cuz it can be a pretty challenging game and the OP mentions they're an amateur.
The AI constantly wasting my healing items when it was unnecessary or blocking my view when I'm trying to aim doesn't add "tension". It adds frustration. That's not a design choice like limiting your movement when you aim in RE4. It's just bad AI that gets in the way. I think you're way off the mark about the tone of RE5 as well. The story and the characters are just as over the top as those found in RE4. I'd say it goes off the rails even more than RE4 by the last act. It may start out fairly grounded but so did RE4. This is a game where you fight giant crocodiles in an airboat level and punch boulders.

The emphasis on co-op hurts the horror aspect of the game immensely. In RE4, getting within three feet of those chainsaw wielding enemies would mean instant death. In RE5 you could literally walk circles around them to compensate for co-op play even when you're playing by yourself. It's not a terrible game and maybe it gets more shit than it deserves. But it's certainly not the gritty, atmospheric game that the early trailers made it out to be. And it doesn't hold a candle to RE4 in terms of level and enemy design.

Last edited:

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
If you never played them, start with RE or Silent Hill. They are good series and they are easy to get.

Preferably go with Silent Hill since RE has tank controls and fixed camera angles, but you'll have to deal with them at one point.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
Resident Evil HD Remaster is a must.

Alien Isolation if you like tense stealth

Silent Hill 1-3 if you want some of the most oppressive atmospheres in games ever

RE7 if you want a modern but true take on the classic formula

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
The AI constantly wasting my healing items when it was unnecessary or blocking my view when I'm trying to aim doesn't add "tension". It adds frustration. That's not a design choice like limiting your movement when you aim in RE4. It's just bad AI that gets in the way. I think you're way off the mark about the tone of RE5 as well. The story and the characters are just as over the top as those found in RE4. I'd say it goes off the rails even more than RE4 by the last act. It may start out fairly grounded but so did RE4. This is a game where you fight giant crocodiles in an airboat and punch boulders.

The emphasis on co-op hurts the horror aspect of the game immensely. In RE4, getting within three feet of those chainsaw wielding enemies would mean instant death. In RE5 you could literally walk circles around them to compensate for co-op play even when you're playing by yourself. It's not a terrible game and maybe it gets more shit than it deserves. But it's certainly not the gritty, atmospheric game that the early trailers made it out to be. And it doesn't hold a candle to RE4 in terms of level and boss design.

I think Robot Salazar and all of Leo's joke cracking was a lot worse.

There's nothing wrong with the boat nor the alligators. The tribesmen though, yeah in retrospect was in poor taste and it was silly, but when I personally think they're cool enemies. It's not like Capcom set out to offend and be racist, it was just tonedeaf and ignorant, but not malicious.
I'll give you the tribesmen, that's the silliest the game gets.

Leon backflips, Matrix flips, and drop kicks every fucking enemy in the game. The guy leaps out a fucking window like Trinity for NO reason the FIRST WINDOW IN THE GAME.

Naw man, tonally RE4 is some wacky, wacky, shit that RE5 doesn't go near. RE5 has some anime craziness, but it doesn't have Matrix shit like RE4 does.

I stand by what I say regarding the tones of RE4 and RE5 and will fight anyone who tries to tell me RE4 and RE5 are tonally close to eachother at all.

RE5 is way, way more serious, and I respect it for that.

I'm not saying RE5 is better than RE4, just that it's tone was better. I love both games. Both have strengths and weaknesses, RE4 was better as a whole and had way more variety, length, content, ambition, etc. Like, it's obviously the better game. But RE5 simply did some things better and tone was one of them. I don't like joke cracking in my survival horror games.

djshauny1

Oct 27, 2017
Silent Hill 2, Resident Evil 2 and Fatal Frame/Project Zero.

Edit : Also Condemned Criminal Origins for the 360.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Naw man, tonally RE4 is some wacky, wacky, shit that RE5 doesn't go near. RE5 has some anime craziness, but it doesn't have Matrix shit like RE4 does.
Did you not see all the shit Wesker was doing at the end of RE5?

I mean, I get that you don't like jokes mixed with horror but holy shit was Chris the most boring protagonist ever in RE5. There was absolutely nothing compelling about him or anything he said. To make matters worse his bland personality was juxtaposed with his comically ridiculous bicep muscles. Those things alone make it hard to take anything all that seriously in RE5. At least Leon had some kind of personality as well as a sense of vulnerability.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Did you not see all the shit Wesker was doing at the end of RE5?

I mean, I get that you don't like jokes mixed with horror but holy shit was Chris the most boring protagonist ever in RE5. There was absolutely nothing compelling about him or anything he said. To make matters worse his bland personality was juxtaposed with his comically ridiculous bicep muscles. Those things alone make it hard to take anything all that seriously in RE5. At least Leon had some kind of personality as well as a sense of vulnerability.

Wesker is Wesker though. He's being doing that since Code Veronica.

How was Leon vulnerable in any sense of the word? Dude wasn't afraid of a single thing in the game and literally joked before he fought like every single boss. Took me out of it so hard.

Chris also needed Sheva while Leon was essentially a one man army.

Again, tone.

I don't see why Chris being super jacked wouldn't make you take him seriously. Didn't bug me in the least. Yes, I am aware it was surely a cynical design decision to piggy back stuff like Gears of War at the time, but you can't say his physique is impossible or anything, especially for a videogame character. There are definitely some massive guys out there. To me that's not real a valid criticism.

Leon had personality, yeah, but I really didn't like how he joked about everything. This is a horror series. The character shouldn't be so damn cocky.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Wesker is Wesker though. He's being doing that since Code Veronica.

Leon had personality, yeah, but I really didn't like how he joked about everything. This is a horror series. The character shouldn't be so damn cocky.
We're not really going to convince each other of anything. We obviously just have vastly different taste. It's interesting how that can lead to massively different interpretations of the same game but I think we've talked off topic enough in this thread.

CONDEMNED!! HOW COULD I FORGET!!

AHH!! MASTERPIECE!

2 was also brilliant!

The
bear
level in condemned 2 was one of the most terrifying things I've ever experienced in a game.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Well the purest example of "survival horror" (in that it's probably the one game that everyone agrees fits the term) is also the best, and is perfectly accessible. So I'd say start with Resident Evil REmake, have a blast and then dive into the other messier offshoots of the genre.

Props to people recommending The Evil Within, it's a great game, but I definitely would not recommend that as a genre starting point. I'd say it's best experienced some point after Resident Evil 4 since it's sort of a harder, messier, more sinister evolution of that game and definitely plays with your expectations. The standard difficulty, though very well balanced, does not mess around.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
If you can get past tank controls and janky combat then try Silent Hill 2. There is a reason most people claim it to be the best survivor horror video game. I also really enjoyed Silent Hill 4: the Room. I'm a scaredy cat against spooky ghosts and paranormal shit, so it was a good ride. I never did like the original Resident Evil games personally. They're good games and all, but I prefer Silent Hill's psychological horror. If you wanna do first person like P.T then I'd try the Amnesia games. I couldn't finish them personally due to the first person making me feel uncomfortable and freaked out too much.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
We're not really going to convince each other of anything. We obviously just have vastly different taste. It's interesting how that can lead to massively different interpretations of the same game but I think we've talked off topic enough in this thread.

Well isn't the topic horror games got an amateur :) ?

The
bear
level in condemned 2 was one of the most terrifying things I've ever experienced in a game.

I could not agree more with the
bear
thing. It is set up brilliantly and foreshadowed like fuck. Yes, it was literally terrifying. One of the best moments of horror in movie or game, ever. High-water mark.

My brother whom I know would dig dig DIG that part never played Condemned 2 like an idiot when he absolutely loves the first. I hate him for that so much. He did the exact same thing with Dead Space 1 and 2. Loves 1, didn't play 2. I give him so much shit for that.

Talk about missing out on something amazing you'd like for no damn good reason.

Speaking of terror. I can't even play some Silent Hill games cuz horror like that messes with me so bad. I had nightmares because of Jacob's Ladder for years. Nightmare fuel for me. But I also love it. The
mannequin head with the girl screaming
in Silent Hill 3 scared the fuck outta me. The
horse
thing in Silent Hill 2 is ridiculous nightmare fuel for me. So unnerving. But I have played hours of each one and love them, have seen my bros play em, and I looooove the tone and soundtrack. And Silent Hill Shattered Memories I finished and it is a godlike classic. Incredible music.

Shadowman can be scary as shit sometimes too. Underrated Zelda quality classic masterpiece. Easily one of the GOAT. GOAT soundtrack too.

Observe. OMG SO GOOD.

DAT RANGE. GODLIKE.

Last edited:

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I could not agree more with the
bear
thing. It is set up brilliantly and foreshadowed like fuck. Yes, it was literally terrifying. One of the best moments of horror in movie or game, ever. High-water mark.

My brother whom I know would dig dig DIG that part never played Condemned 2 like an idiot when he absolutely loves the first. I hate him for that so much. He did the exact same thing with Dead Space 1 and 2. Loves 1, didn't play 2. I give him so much shit for that.

Talk about missing out on something amazing you'd like for no damn good reason.

Yeah, it was so perfect because...

... in a game filled with crazy psychos, monsters, and hallucinations the most terrifying thing was just a god damned bear. It's so simple but so frightening.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You should try Dead Space. Awesome gameplay and atmosphere. A perfect start and then you can go deeper with games like Silent Hill 1-2-3, Alien isolation, The Evil Within, Fatal Frame 2 and Resident Evil Remake. Believe me.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Dead Space has arguably the most lived in world chock full of non stop super high quality audio on fucking EARTH.

This whole vid is ridiculous, but the sound towards the end is just beyond words.

THIS IS RIDICULOUS. There are no words for the AWE I feel when I play this!!

This is why Dead Space can be argued for the best game I've ever played in my life. The game is divine.

Fuck it. OP, play Dead Space. Those vids should convince you.

Play now, thank me later.

MidiPour

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
If you want a more recent game and are the least bit interested in cyberpunk and quite a bit of mindfuck, try out Observer. Another recent horror game that piqued my interest is Little Nightmares, but I can't attest to how good it is since I haven't gotten too far into it. However, from my experience it is a pretty solid game. Some classics that have been already mentioned I'd recommend are Bioshock, Resident Evil Remake, and Silent Hill 2/3.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
This is the only post that mentioned Dino Crisis. Looks like I have failed you all and need to do more work here on Reset to get the word out due to all the new blood here.

Ya'll have no one to blame but yourselves.

Here is a list of all the horror games that I think have aged well.

-Alone in The Dark (1992) it started it all.
-Clock Tower The First Fear (1995) (SNES english patch can be downloaded)
-Resident Evil (1996)
-Clock Tower (1997)
-Resident Evil 2 (1998)
-Silent Hill 1 (1999)
-Resident Evil 3 (1999)
-Dino Crisis 1 (1999)
-Parasite Eve 2 (2000)
-Silent Hill 2 (2001)
-Fatal Frame (2001)
-Resident Evil Gamecube (2002) play the HD Remaster if you don't have a Gamecube or a Wii
-Clock Tower 3 (2002)
-Fatal Frame 2 (2003) Play the Wii version
-Silent Hill 3 (2003)
-Fatal Frame 3 (2005)
-Haunting Ground (2005)
-Resudent Evil 7 (2017) PLAY IT IN VR!!!
-White Day: A Labyrinth Named School (2017)

There, I've listed all the horror games that I think you MUST PLAY IN ORDER!!!

I still haven't played some notable ones like the first Parasite Eve or Kuon, and I didn't include some more recent titles, but I'm sure other poster will cover them.

Deleted member 5015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So long story short, I'm a Survival Horror amateur. And a horror amateur. I'm the kind of guy who cowered in a corner while my wife played P.T., and the kind of guy who opted out of going to see IT in theaters with the rest of my friends. Needless to say I don't do horror so well.

So a horror game that is not so horror? Play RE4. Its a great action game sprinkled with bits of horror.

If you want to rip your brain out, go Silent Hill 2 and say goodbye to your sanity.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This is the only post that mentioned Dino Crisis. Looks like I have failed you all and need to do more work here on Reset to get the word out due to all the new blood here.

Ya'll have no one to blame but yourselves.
That's panic horror, everyone was just respecting the OP.

@OP check out REmake, RE4, Haunting Ground, Fatal Frame, Dino Crisis and Silent Hill 1-3

That list that Brhoomposted is pretty good.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would start with Resident Evil Remake. The older game design and visuals will not really scare you. Maybe a few jump scares if you play during night with headphones at best, but the game is so well made you should enjoy yourself.

My tip would be no matter what game you pick to always remember to change the difficulty to be lowered if you start feeling like "this is too much". At the end of the day it is a game so you can immerse or undo that fairly simply. Start talking to yourself, make the character on screen tea bag, etc.

Least scary, but fun games in the genre:

RE Remake
RE Zero
Resident Evil 4

Those are 3 great games worth your time. If you feel more brave try the first Evil Within. At this point though you should do headphones and lights off, because Evil Within delivers in spades for atmosphere and scares if you let it do it.

Oct 28, 2017
The Siren series is the best horror series around IMO (a true successor to the Silent Hill series after it started going downhill), but definitely not for a beginner. I will say that if you want to get into them, going in reverse order is probably best since Siren PS4 is easier than Siren 2 which is easier than Siren 1. They're all well worth playing though.

I also highly recommend Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. It's a bit buggy & some of the segments aren't very good, but when it's on point, it's fantastic.

Both Siren and Call of Cthulhu are great suggestions that everyone into horror games should play, just not as you enter the genre.

Darkwood is great too.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a survival horror game I can try out that is an easy introduction to the genre? I guessed that the crappier visuals in the original PS1 RE games and Silent Hill games might make it easier for me to ease into it, as opposed to hyper-realistic stuff that immediately scares the hell out of me, like REVII.

I would highly recommend Nightmare Creatures if you can find it. It's an older game that was on PC, N64, and PlayStation. It's a gothic, combat-based horror game set in 19th century London, and has two playable characters: one more focused on strength and one on agility.

Naturally, the controls will take some getting used to, by today's standards.

A new game in the series was reportedly recently announced at PAX West. I've included screenshots of the original below.

nightmare-creatures_7.jpg
40052-Nightmare_Creatures_(USA)-4.jpg

ffe1129c-8324-e211-aff1-0025902c7e73_2_full.jpg

1a14e86c17d69238904c731843f5035b05294fe3_hq.jpg

Cajun

Oct 28, 2017
My recommendation for horror newcomers is always Silent Hill 2. It's a game where you don't have to be a survival horror buff to truly appreciate it in any way. Just a fantastic story told in a meticulously crafted world by people who know the importance of atmosphere, and how to effortlessly create it. The PC port is decent with some mods. The HD Collection was an unmitigated disaster that didn't deserve a penny of anyone's money. The PS2 greatest hits version, being the best version, is worth buying a PS2 for imo.

Silent Hill 1-4 are all either great or fantastic, but for some recommendations from different approaches:

The Fatal Frame series is legitimately great horror, but has an arcade feel around its central mechanics, if you're into that.

Dead Space and Resident Evil 4 are two of the best third person shooters ever, let alone in the horror genre.

Darkwood, which I've personally been playing recently, is a solid crafting survival game set to a pretty cool horror theme. Some great scares and atmosphere here.

SOMA and Alien Isolation are the only two great hide n' seek horror games, as SOMA has a true sci-fi story that will make you contemplate terrifying possibilities, and AI is the only hide n' seek horror I've played that manages to maintain it's pacing (for a decent portion of the game at least, it's a lengthy game). Probably because it isn't forced hide n' seek throughout. If you want to play the originals of this subgenre, White Day and Hell Night are pretty cool.

REmake took the essence of survival horror mechanics and perfected it, but I wouldn't personally recommend it to a newcomer. It's a tough game. On anything above the minimum difficulty, you will have to make some genuinely difficult decisions and maintain solid planning as far as your resources are concerned if you want to have a fun time. If you like a challenge, this is perfect for you. Or you can play on the minimum difficulty, but a small bit of the magic in this game is lost until you have played the original.

For less scary, yet interesting experiences, you could try 2D games like Ib, Witch's House, or Lone Survivor, all of which are short and sweet.

Last edited:

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
OP about to find out its not the visuals from which true horror stems....

Enjoy OP. You only get one first experience with this genre.

Anybody mention eternal darkness yet?

If not, eternal darkness.

You can play it on a Wii with a cube controller and memory card.

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Silent Hill 2 and REmake are the only ones that you should be starting with. If you love the former, go to SH3 and Fatal Frame series (esp the third and fourth games, though I dont remember if 4 was translated into English or not). If you like the latter's vibe more, then try The Evil Within, RE7.

DarkOmnios

Oct 27, 2017
The Resident evil hd collection is still the best place to start.

Also Dying Light was a nice surprise for me from this gen.

And take a look for Outlast, specially the first one.