whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I havnt had any issues with my death adder v2. I got since it had the optical switches and heard only bad things about logitech double clicking mice.Do they all use the same shitty switch vendor like how controllers do with analog sticks?

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
You can get whatever current SteelSeries dongle replacement you want for like $10-20 bucks or whatever from their site. Razer is just a bad brand, always has been. Corner cutting and reliability issues for as long as they've been around. Floated entirely by marketing and gamer aesthetics.

rrost

Banned
Jul 20, 2018
My last Razor Deathadder mouse lasted me seven years. And working from home during all that means a lot of use. The only reason it broke is that I accidentally knocked a cup of coffee over on it. It was faultless until then.

I bought the Deathadder v2 to replace it and it's absolutely fine.
Who the fuck name these things. No, who are they targeting here?
Crawling I my skin fans?

Barrakketh

Sep 1, 2020
I also had to buy a higher-end 'pro' Wacom tablet instead of a more basic model, because those use a higher 200Hz polling rate.
I'm not sure if you're aware but the product line I think you're talking about (Intuos Pro) is what used to be Intuos. What is now sold under the "Intuos" branding are the products that Wacom used to call their Bamboo tablets (Bamboo is also used for a different product line these days).

I'm guessing that other manufacturers were eating Wacoms lunch on the entry level drawing tablet market and the rebranding was to take advantage of their products reputation.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I used to use the Razer Naga MMO mouse and I probably went through 4-5 of them by the time I gave up on Razer. Switched to the Logitech MMO mouse and while I've had to replace them, they definitely lasted a lot longer before I started seeing issues.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
two peripheral makers I have sworn off is Razer and Logitech

I went through 3 Razor Sabertooth 360 controllers all due to faulty sticks and 3 Logitech mice have all had double click problems. I think the double click issues stem from a part supplier but trying to get information regarding their 2 year warranty was impossible.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
When it comes to the double-clicking issue, unfortunately it's common across peripheral brands. Most use omron mouse switches that are prone to developing this problem. The solution would be to replace the switches either with the same model, or with better Kaihl switches that also have a higher lifespan (like the Kailh GM 8.0). This solution requires soldering, but it's not complex and you end up with a better mouse in the end. The standard Omron switch is rated at 20M clicks vs 80M of the Kailh GM 8.0.

For optical switches, the Roccat Burst Pro is a good alternative but it is wired and the clicks are more thocky than clicky.

Crowh

Nov 20, 2017
I must be lucky AF because I've used three Razer mouses over the years (from 2013 to present, 2013 deathadder, mamba elite and now viper ultimate) and never had an issue with them, all great devices. The only Razer products that are a no go for me are their headphones.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Who the fuck name these things. No, who are they targeting here?
Razer's brand has always been about naming their mice after snakes, and the original Boomslang was vaguely snake-like in its appearance. At least compared to other mice.

Wait so this mouse has a proprietary dongle?? It's not just USB? That's a red flag right away
They're talking about the USB receiver (dongle) for the mouse being proprietary. No gaming mice use Bluetooth - it's far too congested and unreliable.
Nearly all of them use a custom dongle - either specific to that mouse, or range of mice.
The problem is not that it's proprietary, but that you can't always get a replacement easily.

Maybe it's because I've sticking to the higher end of the offerings like the Logitech G MX518 and the MX Master 2s lately? The lower end ones that I've used are a basic Wired USB optical mouse from around 2008 and a M510 basic wireless mouse from 2015 and those didn't have those kinds of problems either.
Nearly all gaming mice are using variants of the same mechanical switches - typically produced by Omron. It doesn't matter if it's Logitech, Corsair, Steelseries, Mionix, whoever.
Those will all develop double-clicking issues eventually due to the way that the switch state is read, because it's tuned to prioritize low latency over a more reliable de-bounce.

Some mice designs are more prone to failure than others due to the way they actuate the switch (putting more stress on it, etc) but no gaming-focused mouse is immune from double-clicking.
It's a mechanical part that will fail eventually, and whether one brand is more or less reliable is mostly down to luck. I wouldn't factor it into my purchasing decision, unless seeking an alternative - like Razer's optical switches.

Office mice are less likely to suffer from the double-click issue because their clicks are tuned for reliability over low-latency.
Please excuse that this is a marketing video, but Razer has a good demonstration of the problem:

I'm not sure if you're aware but the product line I think you're talking about (Intuos Pro) is what used to be Intuos. What is now sold under the "Intuos" branding are the products that Wacom used to call their Bamboo tablets (Bamboo is also used for a different product line these days).
I'm guessing that other manufacturers were eating Wacoms lunch on the entry level drawing tablet market and the rebranding was to take advantage of their products reputation.
Yeah, I had to buy an Intuos Pro for the higher 200Hz polling rate. The regular Intuos/Wacom One poll at 133Hz instead.

Chanser

Oct 27, 2017
My Viper had a squeaky left mouse button, got a new replacement. Now I swapped my Viper for a Logitech G Pro.
Changed my old broken Huntsman mechanical keyboard for a Ducky.

I don't think I'll ever buy another Razor product again.

Forgot to say, Razor synapse software is crap.

Jul 26, 2018
lolz...

I REFUSE to install their software's. My 2 keyboards from them are great and still works fine to this day.

I remember one of their software's was actually HARD CRASHING my pc. Everytime I quit a game, my PC freezes. Installed windows 3 times and had the same issues. Turns out it was Razer Sypanse.... it was hard crashing my PC 3 times.

Also, back in 2019, it was causing most of my Xbox Gamepass games to crash..... or unplayable at 3 FPS....

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Time to start shaking down those kids and get your shit back.

giphy.gif

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I had two razer mice and they both broke way earlier than they should. I even had a razer mousepad and that started to peel. I know there are people that have never had an issue with them but I think thier products are shit.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Lol no. Go to the subreddit of gaming mice and EVERYONE will tell you that Logitech is crap. Overpriced shit that will doubleclick in one year.
^^^^^
but really most of the big gaming mice are like this, and no indication is given by anyone at all - much less Logitech or Razer - that these are devices you're expected to replace on a yearly basis... even though that's what they've become in recent years.

That the general unreliability of gaming mice, such that many will fail within a year or less, is near-completely ignored by the PC gaming news sphere (in favor of nonstop advertisement)... is pretty astounding to me. I've basically stopped going to PC gaming news sites altogether because they're always displaying ads for products that are well known among PC gaming communities to be failure prone, and they don't seem capable of acknowledging the problem, and that doesn't sit well for me. Like, show me an ad for a Logitech mouse in your video, and I'm already out.

Last edited:

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So... I'm no big fan of Razer, even though I've owned a few of their products and I'm no fan of Logitech, even though I've used, and currently use a G502 mouse but there's a misconception that Razer's mice have lower quality than Logitech's or vice-versa and while in general I do believe Logitech's products are more reliable, the "double-clicking issue" is not limited to Razer mice, it's simply a sign that the mechanical switch is failing and that can happen with any brand of mouse. I've had the same issue with Razer, Logitech, Microsoft, HP computer mouses. That issue is brand-agnostic, it's simply a fault of the type of switch used in most of them.

In fact, my Logitech G502 is on its second iteration of switches. Logitech uses Omron switches on this mouse and after a certain amount of time or clicks they start failing and you have to replace them. It's as simple as that. I replaced the ones on mine and now it's good as new (except for the mid-click because I forgot to order a switch for it)

You can make an argument that Razer's switches are less reliable than Omron's, but I think we'd need to a third-party company to test both of them to know that for a fact. You can say that theoretically Razer's optical switches will last forever, but theoretically most Logitech mouse switches should not reach their EOL because they're rated for a ridiculously high number of clicks. I think that optical switches should be more reliable but the jury is still out on whether they're infallible or not. We need to see how they perform for a bit longer before making that call.

Last edited:

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
^^^^^
but really most of the big gaming mice are like this, and no indication is given by anyone at all - much less Logitech or Razer - that these are devices you're expected to replace on a yearly basis... even though that's what they've become in recent years.

That the general unreliability of gaming mice, such that many will fail within a year or less, is near-completely ignored by the PC gaming news sphere (in favor of nonstop advertisement)... is pretty astounding to me. I've basically stopped going to PC gaming news sites altogether because they're always displaying ads for products that are well known among PC gaming communities to be failure prone, and they don't seem capable of acknowledging the problem, and that doesn't sit well for me. Like, show me an ad for a Logitech mouse in your video, and I'm already out.
I really think it's a case of millions being sold and hundreds or maybe thousands of loud voices at most.
I've had two Razer mice fail on me - an original DeathAdder after many years (double-clicking), and a DeathAdder 2012 which was a few weeks out of warranty - and Razer replaced that with a brand new DeathAdder Chroma.
I've had two Logitech mice failures as well: one for double-click issues, and the middle button on a G602 requires a significant amount of force to click any more.
My current mouse - a Logitech G305 - is two and a half years old and works without issue.

I haven't seen any failures within the first year - they were all after a couple of years at least.
If they were within the first year or two, the warranty would cover it. I don't think there's some conspiracy to have their mice fail within the warranty period.
Don't get me wrong: I'd like anything I buy to last as long as possible, but mice get far more use than game controllers for me, and I have found them to be far more reliable.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So many mice use the same shoddy switches these days. That doesn't account for your dongle problem though. That's messed up.

Friskyrum

Jun 25, 2019
I had a Razer Naga and it was the worst product I've ever had compared to my 360 with red ring.

Constant tracking issues, mouse wheel messing up, clicking issues. Went through about 5 RMAs and on the 5th, they upgraded me to the newer generation version, then it had the same issue! Fucking piece of trash product.

Only reason I stuck with it was cause money was tight for a bit with me between jobs at the time. Eventually got a Corsair Scimitar and couldn't be happier with the quality I got with it.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I really think it's a case of millions being sold and hundreds or maybe thousands of loud voices at most.
I've had two Razer mice fail on me - an original DeathAdder after many years (double-clicking), and a DeathAdder 2012 which was a few weeks out of warranty - and Razer replaced that with a brand new DeathAdder Chroma.
I've had two Logitech mice failures as well: one for double-click issues, and the middle button on a G602 requires a significant amount of force to click any more.
My current mouse - a Logitech G305 - is two and a half years old and works without issue.

I haven't seen any failures within the first year - they were all after a couple of years at least.
If they were within the first year or two, the warranty would cover it. I don't think there's some conspiracy to have their mice fail within the warranty period.
Don't get me wrong: I'd like anything I buy to last as long as possible, but mice get far more use than game controllers for me, and I have found them to be far more reliable.
I probably wouldn't be so up-in-arms about this if I hadn't recently had a succession of three Logitech mice fail on me back-to-back. One failed after 4 years - my OG G502, all around the best mouse I've ever used. The more recent G502 I replaced it with got double clicks in half a year. The G502 I replaced that with, 2 programmable buttons stopped functioning before I gave up on that.

Finally just hit up Ebay and spent a while tracking down an old in-box G502 produced back in the day, and it's still going strong. I've also got a Logitech G604 Lightspeed for my Xbox, but the side buttons on that all feel flimsy and don't feel satisfying when actuated. I love the form and function of Logitech mice in general, I just wish they were more reliable in my experience. I don't know what I'll do when my current G502 eventually and inevitably breaks (hopefully a few years from now at least) because I doubt I'll be able to track down another one with a pre-2016 manufacture date, and I'm not playing roulette with a newer one.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Yep, I avoid Razer at all costs. Every mouse I've purchased from them has junked out right outside the warranty window. They have garbage quality for the price. It's not like their stuff is cheap.

Bing-Bong

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
I have a Razer Atheris and works great, but i actually got it, not because of it being Razer, but because it was the smallest and cheapest wireless mouse i could find at the time. If i were to buy a replacement today i would go for Logitech, either a G Pro X Superlight or an ERGO M575.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Also from my experience, Logitech customer service is pretty good. I've had two G502 light speeds start double clicking and they RMA'd both. If I had tried that shit with Razer or Corsair they would've sent an envelope full of human shit.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I probably wouldn't be so up-in-arms about this if I hadn't recently had a succession of three Logitech mice fail on me back-to-back. One failed after 4 years - my OG G502, all around the best mouse I've ever used. The more recent G502 I replaced it with got double clicks in half a year. The G502 I replaced that with, 2 programmable buttons stopped functioning before I gave up on that.

Finally just hit up Ebay and spent a while tracking down an old in-box G502 produced back in the day, and it's still going strong. I've also got a Logitech G604 Lightspeed for my Xbox, but the side buttons on that all feel flimsy and don't feel satisfying when actuated. I love the form and function of Logitech mice in general, I just wish they were more reliable in my experience. I don't know what I'll do when my current G502 eventually and inevitably breaks (hopefully a few years from now at least) because I doubt I'll be able to track down another one with a pre-2016 manufacture date, and I'm not playing roulette with a newer one.
In that case, it might be an issue with a batch of bad Omron switches rather than a problem with Logitech products.
But again: why are you replacing a mouse yourself if it died in less than a year? Logitech mice have a two year warranty.
They aren't intentionally producing bad products so you buy more of them, if it fails within the warranty period.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Get a Logitech G Pro X Superlight. I used Razer products before, never again.

Logitech isn't much better. They all end up double clicking after a year or two. At least a 2 year warranty will usually net you a second mouse.

Went through 2 G703. On a Superlight now. Different switches this time (Omrom 20M rather than 50M, IIRC) so fingers crossed they're better. Got myself a soldering iron so I can fix the issue myself.

Deleted member 4179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I asked Corsair if they were going to ever restock a keyboard dongle that had been OOS for months and by the end of the week I had one free of charge, way out of warranty. Steelseries told me to get fucked after their cheap crappy headset broke after a month of use. Really incredible how much customer service varies. Razer products never appealed to me but it's good to know I need to avoid them.

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Most mice have mostly the same inners and they'll eventually all start double-clicking within a year or two if you're unlucky. A lot of the time the cheap plastic they use for the mouse hammers will break in half.

Same issue with console controllers drifting. They all buy the same parts.

Best mouse I've owned so far is a Steelseries Sensei 310 and it's because it doesn't use the same crap as the $100+ mice use.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I have the Razer Viper Ultimate with Charging Dock - Cyberpunk 2077 Edition. Been using it since Dec. 2020 and haven't had any problems. I don't use Razer Synapse software.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
In that case, it might be an issue with a batch of bad Omron switches rather than a problem with Logitech products.
But again: why are you replacing a mouse yourself if it died in less than a year? Logitech mice have a two year warranty.
They aren't intentionally producing bad products so you buy more of them, if it fails within the warranty period.
After my OG G502 broke, I used my spare Roccat Tyon for a while. Dope mouse, but the software was a massive step down from LGS, and the button placement didn't feel quite as natural for typical shooters and such (as an ARMA mouse though? Unbeatable. Analog lean/posture/flight controls on my mouse felt unbelievably cool and convenient!). So eventually I bought a G502 Hero on a whim, entirely because it shared the OG G502's form factor. I ended up not liking the feel of this mouse compared to my old G502 either (it felt quite a bit cheaper, the scroll wheel and overall weight in particular) and I wasn't a fan of the new sensor, though I've since come around to it.

I wanted to replace that mouse entirely when it broke, thinking that I'd never use it again if I could just get my hands on an OG G502 model... so why bother with replacing it via warranty? Instead, I went online in search of a G502 Proteus Core that wasn't used. I found one on Amazon and ordered it, and when it arrived... I found they had actually sent me another G502 Hero instead.

I was pretty unhappy with that, because I'd paid more than what a G502 Hero was worth, $70 for a mouse that was 4 years out of production... I thought that a solid deal. I ultimately ended up getting a full refund (and for that storefront to take down that particular listing, since they had indeed gotten the two mice mixed up). I was asked to send the mouse back, but the pandemic was in full swing by then, and ultimately, the dispute was closed before I ever did.

So I decided, eh, I'll just use this second G502 Hero until it breaks, because it was effectively free. When periphery buttons did start to break, I just gave that mouse to my brother, and finally tracked down the mouse I actually wanted on Ebay - listed for nearly the same price I would have paid in 2015, to boot.

I never meant to insinuate that these products break quickly on purpose so that I'd buy more, I just happened to end up with two of their more failure-prone mice back to back - once unknowingly, and once accidentally.

I'm having a mostly positive experience with the G602 Lightspeed I bought on sale a few months back. I got it on a whim to play Xbox games with on a cordless lapboard setup - thinking that, if the thing breaks, I'll def use the warranty, and I've always got that spare Tyon! The G602 Lightspeed gets heavy use; I use it to play Vermintide 2, Halo MCC, and other games with my Xbox, and I've had no problems at all as of yet, except for the fact that the side buttons don't actuate as satisfyingly as you'd expect a microswitch to (they feel like they're more responsive and clicky when pushed directly down on, than when pushed in from the side as they're built to be used). And my RGB G502 (one of the OGs) is still going strong, of course :p. My brother uses the G502 Hero I gave him every day and the other buttons haven't started failing either, but he's not using them to game, so I'm not sure how much stress he's putting it through.

Last edited:

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I feel the same about PS5 controllers, I've had three now, all faulty. Two with drift issues and now the black one I just bought the touch bar sticks on when clicking it.

Tempted to sell the PS5 and get a Series X I'm that fed up with the shitty controller