• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
So as the title suggests I'm confused about games as a service. Can someone explain to me what it actually is?
I always thought it was to describe with games loot boxes, but after spending an hour online looking at article it's just a term for online games that are planned to have a multiyear lifespan?

How is GaaS different than something like Halo 1?

And do loot boxes / gachapons have do anything with it, or is that just a module that are found in most of the popular games that aren't necessarily needed?

Oct 28, 2017
Games as a service are games maintained and updated repeatedly, so they're like a service, like a restaurant if you will. Something new is added and you keep coming back for that service, that feeling.

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Capitalism definition: Anything that is a game and keeps you spending forever, into time.

Gamer definition: Sometimes games that you like that give you infinite content that you will buy if the game is actually good.

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm under the impression games like Destiny, Hitman, and recent Ubisoft games follow this mold. It's a service that's constantly being provided and updated? Maybe I'm wrong.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
You usuay have a team dedicated to putting out constant minor updates and content, plus maybe another team that once every few months puts out more substantial content. Oftentimes this involves a monetization model that either via subscription, microtransactions or DLC purchases helps to fund this continued content.

Oct 25, 2017
Game as a service means that it is less about the value you get out of just dropping 60 dollars on their game and how much you end up spending within their game's ecosystem.

Example: Hellblade is an old shool style game, you spend the money and you get the complete package.

Battlefront 2 is a game as a service, you buy the game but it's built so you want to spend a little extra here and there on lootboxes and tons of DLC.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Anything that keeps players engaged with the game past the initial point of sale. Like look at console games in the 16bit era, once you bought the game, you were done, that was it. You played the game and moved on.

GaaS instead aims to keep the player engaged with the product for a much longer time, through DLC, expansions, loot boxes, significant content patches, etc. There are good examples of these in a bunch of different eras though, you had patches and maps in Diablo 2 or Unreal Tournament, you had DLC for early Xbox Live games, and you have loot crates in Call of Duty. All of those are considered GaaS because they keep you engaged with the product beyond the $60 and done transaction.

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland
I'm sure someone down the line will come up with a more elaborate answer, but in a nutshell it means that you have games that do everything in their power to discourage you from selling them and to entice you to invest additional money besides the initial cost of game purchase.

So... games like GTA V, that comes with multiplayer GTA Online with almost constant free updates. I've seen some people say that season passes are also indicative of GaaS game and even The Witcher 3 could be classified as one.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
They are games designed soley to keep the player repeating the same simplistic tasks over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, and pay to do it.

To incentivize repeatedly paying money to do the same thing, cosmetic changes are offered, wording in the name of the quest or raid, xp bars are filled with fanfare, loot boxes and trinkets are awarded, basically a skinner box treadmill with simple psychological gotcha injections consistently spread out to constantly trigger dopamine releases, starting from a near constant rate and being spread out so it takes longer and longer to get your fix. And of course, the ability to skip actually playing the tediously designed slogfest for instant gratification... for a small fee.... you know, when you can no longer stand to wait the ever increasing time between dopamine releases.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They put things in the game that will make you addicted to it so they can keep selling you ingame stuff and so that you won't play much else except that

Last edited:

Manac0r

Oct 30, 2017
UK
The game becomes a platform for devs to feed in new content and the user to feed in more money.

It evolves as a service and can be built upon keeping its playerbase locked in for longer.

element

Oct 27, 2017
Games as a Service is business plan of building a game that the release date isn't the end of its content schedule. Either it is add-ons, microtransactions, or any other updates.

Halo 1 or any other older game was just released. There wasn't a real plan to monetize users past the release date.

H.I.V.E.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For instance Splatoon 2 is a GaaS just it is all free. Battlefront 2 is a GaaS but requires big sea creatures to spend their months salary on it so the rest can keep getting stuff.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
GaaS are games that keep you coming back for reasons other than the initial content you purchased

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
They are games designed soley to keep the player repeating the same simplistic tasks over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, and pay to do it.

To incentivize repeatedly paying money to do the same thing, cosmetic changes are offered, wording in the name of the quest or raid, xp bars are filled with fanfare, loot boxes and trinkets are awarded, basically a skinner box treadmill with simple psychological gotcha injections consistently spread out to constantly trigger dopamine releases. And of course, the ability to skip actually playing the tedious slogfest for instant gratification... for a small fee.

Meanwhile, this is an example of what people who don't really understand GaaS say, and why you see stuff like the original Visceral thread filled with posts about lootboxes.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
GaaS is about how to milk consumers for more money on games that they play for long periods of time. Publishers have realized that people are playing some games for 100s of hrs and want to get more money from them. Their $60 was not enough. The primary means of monetization is through loot boxes - paying for a chance to get an item you want.

Bashful Trey

Oct 27, 2017
Houston TX
Other examples would be some mobile games. Like Pokemon GO, YuGiOh Duel Link, or Hearthstone.

Poke drops new monsters, YuGiOh & Hearthstone have new decks that change the meta.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basically just means frequent updates to encourage engagement. Even Witcher 3 was sort of a GaaS with it's like 12 weeks for free DLC, which was clearly content meant to keep the game in gamer's minds and keep it in the "news" each week.

It is why, for instance, Resident Evil Revelations 2 was "episodic" despite the game not really needing to be and also clearly having been awkwardly cut apart given the extremely short final episode (plus the small bonus episodes).

Though most of the examples are long term games (alot of which are mobile).

Oct 27, 2017
The idea of SaaS is that you don't just sell the piece of software and be done with it, instead you offer it as an ongoing service, which usually requires a monthly fee. With gaming it may not have a monthly fee like an MMO, but the idea is that you are regularly spending money as long as you are playing the game. Lootboxes, subscriptions, cosmetic items, regular paid DLC etc..

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017

To incentivize repeatedly paying money to do the same thing, cosmetic changes are offered, wording in the name of the quest or raid, xp bars are filled with fanfare, loot boxes and trinkets are awarded, basically a skinner box treadmill with simple psychological gotcha injections consistently spread out to constantly trigger dopamine releases. And of course, the ability to skip actually playing the tedious slogfest for instant gratification... for a small fee.
While this is definitely a very negative look at it, it's also true. Just looking at the games that are a "service", I can't argue with any of these. Although, for me, personally, if I enjoy the core gameplay, I usually don't mind the grind. But that only lasts for so long.

Griz

Oct 31, 2017
Lancaster PA
Its games that aren't supposed have an ending. The monetization schemes are seperate from this idea. Most modern multiplayer games are GaaS. Like LoL is a game as a service, it doesn't have an ending and keeps adding content.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Games as a service means that you are paying ongoing for the service - and if the service ends - so does the game.

So World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2, Majestic etc...

I think people are misusing the term for games like Overwatch - which are just games with additional content (sometimes free - sometimes not). But that's hardly the definition of a service.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Meanwhile, this is an example of what people who don't really understand GaaS say, and why you see stuff like the original Visceral thread filled with posts about lootboxes.

really, cause I got it from an Ubisoft shareholder meeting, and former EA bioware developer, you know, the dude whos interview you had a thread about on this forum.

But yeah, sounds like they really dont understand it.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I can't tell if I like GaaS or not. I love single player games but I do love getting immersed in a game for a long period of time, and if they keep updating and providing more content, I might be down for that. However, I don't want single player games to ever go. One and dones? They've provided lots of enjoyment over the years, I could never give them up.

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's where the initial game release acts as a platform through which further items can be sold to gamers, rather than a single standalone entity.

The 'further items' can be extra DLC content, microtransactions or whatever. In some cases advertising may be part of the way they make money off the 'service'. The important thing is that the actual packaged game is not the final, complete experience, and not where the bulk of the money is made - it's just a starting point in a constantly evolving experience that intends for players to stay engaged and stay spending.

really, cause I got it from an Ubisoft shareholder meeting, and former EA bioware developer, you know, the dude whos interview you had a thread about on this forum.

That's just one kind of game that acts as a service, though. There are tons of different types of them. Gatcha or mobile skinner boxes are two very specific ones, even if they're two of the best known.

Kureransu

Oct 25, 2017
They just make one game and the constantly update it. No sequels or anything like that.
If they actually did that it wouldn't be a bad model. That's my issue with it. MOST cases they support it for a year or 2 and ask you to start over. If i knew that this one sku i purchased would carry me for the next five or so years, i wouldn't be so opposed to it.

Look at games like GTA 5, Rainbow Six: Siege, and even Street fighter 5. GTA have been going on for over 5 years now and is still going strong, R6:S and SF5 are headed into their 3rd year, and i don't believe a sequel is planned for either one of them this generation.

I feel like a lot of companies don't believe that their games can be evergreen, but i'd be more willing to invest in them if i know any extra money i spent wouldn't be moot/fragmented because a sequel came out before or just at the 2 year mark.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
really, cause I got it from an Ubisoft shareholder meeting, and former EA bioware developer.

Splatoon 2 is a quintessential GaaS game. The mental gymnastics you would have to do to bend it into that post would break this forum.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You basically make a bet: you invest in a game in hope for getting updates for free for a certain amount of time - if enough people do the same. It could also happen that there are not enough people who also invest and your investment is of questionable value.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
So the issue is that this term is used for two different things.

Games as a Service under its original definition was used to distinguish "Fire and Forget games" (games that only got bug fixes post launch) from "Games as a Service" (games that got post launch updates for more than just bug fixes, such as DLC, new features, redesigns, etc).

However, when companies say they want in in"Games as a Service" in 2017, what they really mean is they want to make games people play for 1+ years and keep spending money on optional content (usually cosmetics or accelerators) in exchange for continued (usually free) post launch updates, as it's much more profitable and stable than the traditional game model. These are usually multiplayer games as it's hard to get people to keep coming back to singleplayer games. The players tend to be very loyal as well as you're continually updating the game based on their feedback and preferences.

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
The way Battlefront 2 is working it should be free to play not a game you have to pay 60 Dollar to play it, because without buying extra lootboxes in masses you will have to play hundreds of hours until you have a few usable items for some of your classes.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Games as a service means that you are paying ongoing for the service - and if the service ends - so does the game.

So World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2, Majestic etc...

I think people are misusing the term for games like Overwatch - which are just games with additional content (sometimes free - sometimes not). But that's hardly the definition of a service.

It really doesn't mean that at all. GaaS is not the same as subscription model games like WoW.

GaaS is, if anything, a reaction to the mostly failing sub model.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Basically :

MTS
Dlcs
Frequently updated with per example new weapons, quests etc.
Live longer periods like Destiny or Counter Strike, sequels take longer.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Games whose developers continue developing and evolving them for at least a year after launch, typically due to an online focus of some sort. They're not a static product at launch that never changes. Games like:

GTAV
Overwatch
Rocket League
Rainbow Six Siege
The Division
Diablo III
Hitman
Titanfall 2
Team Fortress 2
Destiny

As the term suggests, it's more like you're subscribing to a service of constant support and added content instead of just a single package at launch that is all you get.

Oct 27, 2017
I envision them as games that don't rely on sequels and instead just offer expansions and new seasons.

I still wish LittleBigPlanet was given a f2p release with constant expansions and support throughout its lifetime rather than the sequels we've received.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

To incentivize repeatedly paying money to do the same thing, cosmetic changes are offered, wording in the name of the quest or raid, xp bars are filled with fanfare, loot boxes and trinkets are awarded, basically a skinner box treadmill with simple psychological gotcha injections consistently spread out to constantly trigger dopamine releases, starting from a near constant rate and being spread out so it takes longer and longer to get your fix. And of course, the ability to skip actually playing the tediously designed slogfest for instant gratification... for a small fee.... you know, when you can no longer stand to wait the ever increasing time between dopamine releases.

As opposed to buying a sequel to the game, where you keep repeating the same simplistic tasks. Or another game in the same genre where you keep repeating the same simplistic tasks. I mean, you can boil down every Mario game to "you just jump around and avoid enemies and collect items while going to the end of the area".

It's almost like making overly reductionist generalizations to villify business models you don't like is silly.

Paradox House

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im just annoyed everyone started using the acronym 'gaas' like 3 weeks ago as if its been uses by everyone forever.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Splatoon 2 is a quintessential GaaS game. The mental gymnastics you would have to do to bend it into that post would break this forum.

No, Splatoon 2, is absolutely NOT a quntessential GAAS, it is incredibly unique. This is absurd level false equivelancy, or are you prepared to try and prove that other AAA publishers utilize the same monetization business model as splatoon 2?

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I agree OP...its usually conflated with overly draconian business practices, but at the core of the definition, isnt it just like the same basic DLC schemes we've been having for years, just stretched out for a longer period of time? I guess only if the game isnt compromised just to extract that extra engagement out of the user ala FF15

OP
OP
Mozendo

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
Multi-quote doesn't seem to work on phones, but thanks for all the replies everyone I definitely understand the subject better, and I will watch your video Minako.

So it's safe to say that Online/MP games with with loot boxes/gachapons are considered GaaS, but not all games that follow GaaS have loot boxes?

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As opposed to buying a sequel to the game, where you keep repeating the same simplistic tasks. Or another game in the same genre where you keep repeating the same simplistic tasks. I mean, you can boil down every Mario game to "you just jump around and avoid enemies and collect items while going to the end of the area".

It's almost like making overly reductionist generalizations to villify business models you don't like is silly.

Its almost like its years before you are asked for money again, and have a game completely full of actual new content, and doesnt prey on addictive personalities to put away 15,000 bucks on meaningless garbage that used to come with games for free.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
It really doesn't mean that at all. GaaS is not the same as subscription model games like WoW.

GaaS is, if anything, a reaction to the mostly failing sub model.

While I agree that may be the way the industry is twisting the term - it literally comes from SaaS (Software-as-a-Service) - which is referring to subscription services.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
No, Splatoon 2, is absolutely NOT a quntessential GAAS, it is incredibly unique. This is absurd level false equivelancy, or are you prepared to try and prove that other AAA publishers utilize the same monetization business model as splatoon 2?

Splatoon 2 isn't incredibly unique. Unreal Tournament was doing it 20 years ago. Even AAA games like Dying Light have released significant updates for free past launch. When someone says GaaS and you kneejerk into a diatribe about skinner boxes, you're taking arms against a specific part of Gaas.

A square is a rectangle, a rectangle is not necessarily a square.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Well Halo 1 didn't have online functionality when it originally launched. The price was set at $50, consumers didn't expect any updates for it, the publisher didn't expect to get any additional money from it, and the developers moved on to their next game after they finished it.

A GaaS version of Halo 1 launching now would have to include online functionality out of the box, micro transactions to fund the ongoing development of the game, and free and paid updates to keep players playing cause the publisher is selling the game as an ongoing service instead of a one and done deal.

It sort of like the difference between a single player game and a subscription MMO.