• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017
I've just scrolled through this whole thread, I finally got Eternal on Game Pass after adoring 2016

Maybe it's just cause i'm not good at it? Compared to 2016 anyway. These levels go on forever it feels like. I got the automap on the cultist level and saw how much i had left after already being in this level for 2 hours and groaned. I shouldn't be groaning at the prospect of more Doom!

Speaking of hours, it is not fun that i've been playing this game for hours now and am still constantly out of ammo because i can only carry 16 goddamn shotgun shells. The combat so far is an exercise in frustration, constantly running out of resource. I clearly need to be using the systems better, but remembering my homework mid combat 10 moves ahead so I don't end up with no ammo, no chainsaw and a Mancubus left isn't my idea of a good time. I don't feel a sense of accomplishment when beating an encounter, cause it feels like I've ground it out from the previous x number of deaths, I don't feel like I'm getting better at the game or learning the systems, I've just bumbled my way through the fight somehow and barely escaped alive. If I die playing, for example, Apex, I'm annoyed at me for fucking it. Thus far in Eternal, I'm mad at the game.

The combat to exploring ratio also feels wildly different to my memory of 2016. I don't even hate the platforming, that plus some of the soundtrack give me Metroid Prime vibes that I'm into, just it feels like I'm doing more of that than combat encounters (ratio wise, not counting all the times I had to redo them)

There's a bunch of presentational aspects that also feel really dated, there's an abundance of invisible walls that i don't remember from 2016, things that look like walkable terrain a distance away (in a game with no fall damage) that when you jump for, it fades you to black and jumps you back. The worst offender for this is in the ship, where you can see a platform below you. You can jump down from the balcony, but it resets you back to the balcony, because you're supposed to take the lift down. The camera work for cutscenes also feels old and worse than I remember 2016, that game was all about fast camera whips and zooms from your 1st person viewpoint to the point of interest, and right back to you. Eternal has both "serious game" dialogue cutscene angles, and fade cuts to totally different areas then fade backs that feel straight out of 2012, both of which haul me out of the sense of immersion 2016 had. I may be explaining this badly, or misremembering, as I haven't seen anyone else mention this.

Speaking of the tone, why is there a giant Iron Man hand in level 1?? as someone who loved the 2016 story and lore, what happened to Hayden imprisoning us or whatever? Why are we on a ship? Why does my ship have the sword he took as a big dramatic reveal at the end of 2016 on it??

I remembered the reception being mixed at launch, but skipped reading it until i'd played, so i wondered how much of this is me being out on an island, it's nice to know it's not just me even if the "solution" to me not liking it is "git gud"
Someone didn't get the super shotgun.
yeah, the super shotgun still feels nice, sure is a shame i can only fire it 9 times
I still kinda find the resource management complaint a bit silly. At first it might feel kinda like a chore because you're not well equipped, but much like 2016, by the last few levels you're practically unstoppable.
like, i'm going to keep playing, but that's hours and hours now of my doom experience where i've been having a shit time

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game portrays you as a whirlwind of destruction, and they actually pulled it off by forcing the player to get fucking stuck in there with the gameplay mechanics. I get it, the game seemed really off coming off of 2016 for me, to the point where I wasnt sure i was enjoying playing it, but once I got with the mechanics and what they pushed the player to be, its transformative and you feel like the danger the story says you are. I want MORE.

ReverseFate

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just beat it today, and honestly I did not like it at all. The utter random chaos of throwing as many enemies as possible at you just got insanely frustrating, to the point that I didn't even want to continue anymore. The marauder and the final boss fight were some of the particular lowlights for me. The 2016 Doom was much more enjoyable and not nearly as frustrating to me.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Are those who didn't like the game playing on console? I found the game way less enjoyable when I tried playing the PC version with a controller (and I'm more of a controller player) but was hooked with a keyboard and mouse.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Are those who didn't like the game playing on console? I found the game way less enjoyable when I tried playing the PC version with a controller (and I'm more of a controller player) but was hooked with a keyboard and mouse.

if i were stranded on the moon with doom 16 and/or especially Eternal on console i dunno if i'd even touch it honestly

coming from a primary console/controller gamer. but it works for a lot of people apparently

Last edited:

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
just wanna say that I played UV on PS4 Pro and never had a single problem with the controls. It's a hard game but I didn't feel handicapped by playing with a controller rather than a mouse.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Absolutely loved Doom 2016 and my only complaint was it was too short. Got through the story in 10 hours.

Doom Eternal lasted only a few hours longer but I struggled to finish it. I just found it tedious and frustrating. Didn't help the game kept bugging out so I had lose progress a few times.

Can't say I'm too excited for another Doom game unless it's more like 2016. Wish I had waited for sale on Eternal but I was so sure it would be good. Lesson learned not to blindly buy games just cause the previous one was good.

Oct 29, 2017
The game portrays you as a whirlwind of destruction, and they actually pulled it off by forcing the player to get fucking stuck in there with the gameplay mechanics. I get it, the game seemed really off coming off of 2016 for me, to the point where I wasnt sure i was enjoying playing it, but once I got with the mechanics and what they pushed the player to be, its transformative and you feel like the danger the story says you are. I want MORE.
It really isn't that much of a departure from Doom 16. Sure the game is a step up in speed and complexity, where 16 offers more freedom an less punishment, but the changes is pretty quick to figure out ( I mean, the game is very explicit with frequent tutorials). That's actually why I prefer 16 - there's more freedom, and the encounterdesign and gameplay feel better balanced towards that.

The only really good addition in Eternal is the meathook.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
When you break the game down into purely mechanical components, playing pretty much feels like it's a game much more about constantly refilling and managing rapidly depleting meters, allowing you to momentarily focus on the moment to moment action before you have to rinse and repeat again. That's probably a core component of what makes the game feel like such a damn chore to me and why I can't derive much enjoyment from it.
This is how I feel after beating it on UV awhile back. I was trying to find the words for it, but this is it.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think the gameplay ended up being quite amazing. It takes a bit to get used too but the whole mechanic of refreshing armor, health and ammo through enemies creates really interesting moment to moment gameplay. Things get so tense that I repeatedly caught myself holding my breath in the heat of battle and finally taking a deep breath once the encounter was over. Can't remember the last time a game had me so much on the edge of my seat. This can get a bit exhausting at times but I think it was spaced out good enough. The dash is also a fantastic addition that fits in so well Doom 2016 suddenly feels like it's in slow motion. One big letdown however was the final boss encounter. Did not enjoy that at all. The attack patterns just felt too confusing and I didn't like how much you had to aim for specific body parts.

Another positive were again the secrets, just like 2016 it was fun and rewarding to search for them and only very rarely got frustrating.

The biggest downside for me was however the presentation and tonal shift from Doom 2016. I don't know why they suddenly felt the need to gamify things so much. What was wrong with picking up shotguns from corpses instead of giant floating guns? Many secrets are also just a huge floating questionmarks which just goes against the tone of the whole level design. 2016 walked that line between silly videogame and sci-fi much better. Same with the story. They did some interesting things her and there, for example I like the backstory of how the Slayer came to be, but I dislike how many characters and civilizations are just thrown in without any introduction. This made things feel convoluted at times which is kind of the last thing I want from a Doom game. I think I might have liked it more if they had leaned more onto the human side of things and the contrast between the humans fighting for their survival while the Slayer just cares about ripping demons apart.

Also, one little thing that bugged me, why did I never get to
drive that giant mech that's inside the Doom fortress?. Come on, that's like a giant cheko'vs gun that never gets fired. It would have been the perfect setpiece for the final titan fight. Maybe in the dlc...

In Summary: Gameplay top, presentation not quite flop but a letdown after 2016

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest downside for me was however the presentation and tonal shift from Doom 2016. I don't know why they suddenly felt the need to gamify things so much. What was wrong with picking up shotguns from corpses instead of giant floating guns? Many secrets are also just a huge floating questionmarks which just goes against the tone of the whole level design. 2016 walked that line between silly videogame and sci-fi much better. Same with the story. They did some interesting things her and there, for example I like the backstory of how the Slayer came to be, but I dislike how many characters and civilizations are just thrown in without any introduction. This made things feel convoluted at times which is kind of the last thing I want from a Doom game. I think I might have liked it more if they had leaned more onto the human side of things and the contrast between the humans fighting for their survival while the Slayer just cares about ripping demons apart.

i hear this a lot and i get it... but thought doom 16 was pretty damn boderline cornball 80s action movie in and of itself, you just get it carte blanche in Eternal

aesthetic wise yeah neon floating question marks and whatnot can be a little unsettling. i dunno if i cared for that too much

overall though if Eternal is a line read of the series' trajectory i'm glad it's veering in the realm of not so serious

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
it's a good game, but you can see the seams so much with all the gameplay loops being so regimented, it becomes a weird plate spinning exercise on top of the action: must use flame thrower to get ammo, must melee to get the health, these are good ideas but become too regimented. i miss the tone, doom guy ripping off the coms 1 minute into doom 2016 during a story drop is still the best thing ever

a little too balanced, and balance can kill fun sometimes.

zerodeefex

Mar 30, 2019

I could see this. I loved the game once it clicked but I would have hated so much of it on controller. I have always been a PC gamer but I like your perspective here.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
I think there is a perfect balance between the two games that hopefully the third game can find. But I wouldn't say I was disappointed.

Still far and away one of the best single player FPS experiences of the last decade. Hard to argue how many would actually exceed it? Because my list is pretty short.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
I feel they went way too hard on the this is a puzzle shooter and the you have to use 500 different mechanics to beat each encounter ends feeling a bit lineal in a way.

Oct 25, 2017
It did feel off at first coming right from 2016, but once I got used to the mechanics I had no problems.
It's one of the best shooters I've ever played.
I beat it on Nightmare with a controller and had a great time.
The mechanics aren't really that complicated, and enemies can still be taken down in a variety of ways.
The game's still completely doable while ignoring some mechanics too.
I never used the flaming meat hook and was fine.

May 10, 2019
Update: I'm still really enjoying the hell out of it. I'm only at the ARC to find the doctor, Ghost of Tsushima/Division 2 eating up some of my time, but still kicking ass as well as having my ass kicked. My biggest problem is I don't use all the tools/weapons I have.

The flame belch is the one I forget about the most and not spreading out my use of all the weapons/mods. I've done 2 of the slayer gates so far and last night I actually got through the second one on my first try.

Game does give me moments of rage and just take a break for a bit. So far everytime I came back I would beat said level/boss and that's what keeps me playing. Every wall I hit I have knocked down and in that moment I'm the demon slayer.

Oct 30, 2017
Still playing and still loving it. The best puzzles are the hidden encounters that pit you against a timer and a set number of enemies. It really helps hone your strategies for similar encounters. I replayed one last night about 10 times before I got it figured out.

And to be honest, I've played on Too Young to Die and have had a blast. Lots of encounters that still feel challenging without dying all the time. I think this is a game that, if you struggle with the mechanics, lowering the difficulty helps immensely. It doesn't make it a cakewalk but you are given a better opportunity to really master the mechanics that may be harder to do if you jump into the game on a harder difficulty.

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
I think I enjoyed the first Doom a little more as well. But man idk about this one, Doom Eternal is amazing.

madkiller

May 29, 2018
Count me in on the disappointed side. Not because the core game is not good but because the game is so buggy that it prevents me from enjoying the game. First I get a black screen when I try to load a save file from the Mars Core mission, I reinstall the game and I get a "Content still pending install'' error even though I have installed the latest update. I have reinstalled the game 4 times now and nothing has changed, I even contacted Bethesda support about it but their solutions are completely useless. What a fucking mess.

padsports

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely loving Eternal on the Xbox. Only problem for me is switching weapons, which should be faster if you have a keyboard at hand (PC).
Shotgun grappling is king!

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
it's a good game, but you can see the seams so much with all the gameplay loops being so regimented, it becomes a weird plate spinning exercise on top of the action: must use flame thrower to get ammo, must melee to get the health, these are good ideas but become too regimented. i miss the tone, doom guy ripping off the coms 1 minute into doom 2016 during a story drop is still the best thing ever

a little too balanced, and balance can kill fun sometimes.
It's a shame they didn't continue along the type of more organic storytelling in '06 and made it more like a Marvel superhero movie.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Just wanted to say I'm in complete and utter support of the OP.

I mainly posted about in the main OT, but as a lifelong Doom fan since I was a kid back in 94, Eternal is indeed crushingly disappointed :(
Everything OP stated was more or less the exact problems I had with it.

Kabuki Waq

Oct 26, 2017
Man something clicked all of a sudden with this game. I am really enjoying combat scenarios. Once you accept the fact thats its different from 2016 it just gets better and better. Switching weapons, dashing etc is becoming second nature now.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Have been playing Eternal for two weeks and I can say I don't agree with the OP regarding gameplay. The low ammo count doesn't bother me in the least, on the contrary, it makes me be more proactive with using different weapons and changing strategies. So far having the blast of my life with Eternal combat.

If I were to have a complaint then it is the platforming sections. Just don't like them.

TheOnlyJ

Oct 29, 2019
You know, it's silly, but I still kind of randomly get angry at how awful the story of Doom Eternal is. Like, there are issues with the gameplay that I could get over because there are so many great parts, but every time I consider replaying the game I think of the plot and all the retcons and get so annoyed.

Like, the original Doom games and 2016 are so perfect: you're a marine. You're tough. There are demons from Hell. You are tougher.

But this one is just...oh, hey, those demons aren't demons, they're actually ALIENS from a different realm and the angels aren't angels they're really ALIENS and you're not just a tough human that never gives up and is filled with rage but really a human turned into a SENTINEL ALIEN and given super powers by the ANGEL ALIENS and you have a flying fortress but not for any reason. Also there was a guy that was a SENTINEL with you except he betrayed you and maybe you cried about it? I don't know.

It's just so busy and overcomplicates things--like midochloridians or making Rey the daughter of clones, to use some recent references.

I could get over the gameplay bits I don't like but plot stuff just drives me up the wall.

Also, apologies if I got some elements wrong--haven't played since release and may have confused some things. Also haven't really played Doom 1 or 2 in years either.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
The story is horrible. I'm playing for the 1st time right now. It's a good game for sure, but not memorable as 2016. I'm on level 4 right now. Playing on xbox one x.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
I have to agree with the OP on this - I loved Doom 2016 but bailed on Eternal after a few levels because it just felt way too much like work. The game insists on playing it in a very particular way that just isn't fun or rewarding for me.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I just managed to get to the last level.

yup, they took the worst elements of doom 2016 and made 2020. This game is ridiculous. It's too difficult and broken. It doesn't feel thought out like 2016.Cheap deaths all the time.You just run and gun. Most of the time you don't understand what's happening.
If this was the case one or two times along the game, it would cool, but the whole game is based on this broken gameplay. Man, the game even crashed 2 times on the xbox one x.

big big big disappointment of the year.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
(Played Doom Eternal for around four hours on PlayStation 4)

Granted, I'm seething right now after losing over two hours of progress in the Cultist Base level (finished a Slayer Gate, the game crashed, I lost all of my progress in the level....yay!). But it's ok, I guess. Because I hate this game. And I say this as someone who considers Doom 2016 to be one of the best games of the generation and quite possibly the greatest, most satisfying FPS I've ever played.

I don't even know where to begin. I'll just bullet-point it:

- Atmosphere. Doom 2016 was campy as hell, but it simultaneously took itself seriously, if that makes any sense. I absolutely adored the tone of the game. Eternal fully embraces the camp and it goes to far imo. I guess this was the logical next step, but it just doesn't work for me.
- Story. 2016's story was very basic, but it worked. If you wanted more out of the universe, there was a ton of lore for the player to discover. Kind of like Dark Souls in a way. I loved it. Eternal puts the story front and center and quite frankly, it's not interesting in the slightest. Eternal goes full sci-fi / fantasy and I just don't like it. This is a direction I never thought the series would go towards.
- Gameplay . Here's the big one. I hate almost every single change made in Doom Eternal! 2016 was a challenging game, but it also made you feel incredibly powerful. It was a wonderful power fantasy that also offered up a solid challenge if you wanted it. In Eternal, Doomguy feels weak. Doomguy barely has any ammo (the regenerating chainsaw ammo doesn't do enough to offset this imo). Doomguy is swarmed by enemies that do incredible amounts of damage, killing you within seconds. Yes, I should "get good", I get it. I adore challenging games! But this is just frustrating.
- Bethesda.net. Eff this stupid service. Let me log out, damnit. This isn't really about Eternal as a game, but man, I hate this garbage.

I'm just heartbroken over this game. Again, I just lost two hours of progress, so I'll fully admit I'm probably a bit angrier over this game than I'd be otherwise, but I was honestly just delaying the inevitable regarding my thoughts and feelings over the game. Doom Eternal, for me, is one of the most (if not THE most) disappointing games I've played in my life and I won't be playing it any longer.

I'd be really interested in reading everyone's thoughts on the game, particularly from those who loved Doom 2016 like I did. And I fully accept and respect all viewpoints here. If you love that game, that's great! Your opinion is just as valid as mine and I"d love to read what you and everyone else has to say about it!
OP, you were so precise with your opinion I wonder what ohter games you are playing and if you could give your opinion on them.

Deleted member 34714

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I just managed to get to the last level.

yup, they took the worst elements of doom 2016 and made 2020. This game is ridiculous. It's too difficult and broken. It doesn't feel thought out like 2016.Cheap deaths all the time.You just run and gun. Most of the time you don't understand what's happening.
If this was the case one or two times along the game, it would cool, but the whole game is based on this broken gameplay. Man, the game even crashed 2 times on the xbox one x.

big big big disappointment of the year.
You're over exaggerating. Doom Eternal is not broken. It is harder yes, you wanna use your cooldowns and more weapons overall. Wanna know what's broken in Doom 2016? SSG having double shot and Siege cannon. If Eternal was a slump and you can just walk through it with a weapon, it would be incredibly boring.

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
I just started playing this for the first time on my XSX via gamepass. Firstly, it looks stunning on my TV, though it does feel like quite a different game to Doom 2016 (which I played on my PS4 pro).
Certainly does feel a bit harder in some respects, though I'm really enjoying it either way.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP, you were so precise with your opinion I wonder what ohter games you are playing and if you could give your opinion on them.
Currently playing The Order 1886 and Bug Fables. Bug Fables is a solid Paper Mario clone. The Order is...something. It's enjoyable for the $5 I spent on it, but it's not a great game by any means.

For the record, my favorite games of the generation are:

Bloodborne
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
The Last of Us Pt. II
Hollow Knight
Into the Breach
Slay the Spire
Dead Cells
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Doom (2016)
Monster Hunter World
Dark Souls III

Kabuki Waq

Oct 26, 2017
I started off very dissapointed and have done a complete 180. The combat scenarios and flow is amazing. Quick dodging switching weapons when you get in the zone it feels so rewarding. Its one of the few games where I can feel myself getting better not based on stats but through actual practice