Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't graduate with my Bachelors until I was 25 and graduated with my Masters at 31 where I was one of the youngest in my graduate studies program. It happens all the time OP. You will be fine.

Chekhonte

User banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm 40 and just registered for graduate school. It's scary but do it.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Khan academy is a great, free, online resource for refreshing basic math concepts.

You can go at your own pace and pause/ rewind lessons at your leisure.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I really want to go for a masters but I don't have the time or money.
Definately want to do it at some point but don't know how to work it with my job.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
How anyone gone back to study after so many years? How did you find it? I feel completely out of my depth but I really want to improve myself and my life.

I went back to my bachelor's at age 26. During that time I spent a lot of time thinking about learning. I examined what were the most effective ways to study. I also spent a lot of time thinking about myself psychologically and growing as a person. During this time I also learned to take feedback, criticism, challenges, and setbacks with grace. All of this helped me become a better student.

I started pre-med post-bac classes at 34. I started medical school at 37.

Socially I found it difficult to make friends and find steady social support. However I think if I just spent more time it would have been fine.

Studies were easy. I had the maturity to keep myself on task. That's something I didn't have when I was younger. While I didn't absorb information quite as easily, I understood more quickly, if that makes sense. I was usually the first, if not one of the first people finished with an exam and my grades were among the highest.

Dr_LawyerCop

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like everyone I know who went back to school at a later age were very successful compared to the average college student. You have the advantage of maturity. My brother in law didn't go to college when he first met my wife and was a manager at a grocery store. He went back to school and got an accounting degree, kept going and got an MBA, and has a really good job. I'm sure it wouldn't have been possible at 19-20, but he worked his ass off in his 30s doing it while working full time and raising a young family.

I went to law school right after undergrad and I know if I would have waited until now I would do so much better. I just didn't have the emotional maturity and had never been in the real world.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going back to get my bachelors at 33 and I'm absolutely terrified. My job is a snoozefest and I haven't had a mental challenge in years.

Reading this thread gives me hope.

MindofKB

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
OP, welcome to the club. Once in university, you'll find a LOT of other students are in your exact same situation.

I graduated high school at 16, dropped out of university at 17 (I wasn't emotionally ready at ALL) and then came back at 26.

That nine year gap was terrifying at first, but once I got into the swing of the first semester, it felt great. I graduated with a bachelor's degree at 30 and I wasn't even close to the oldest person in my major.

You'll do fine, don't sweat your placement tests. It's better to know where you stand now and have a clear roadmap of what you need to do to succeed.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
I went back to school full time, for a college diploma in a completely different subject than my bachelors at 27.

It felt weird having classmates younger than my brothers, and it was difficult to go from university theory (35+ page papers) to practical (assignments every week), but I managed and it turned out okay. Hell i met my fiance during that time so it can have completely unintended positive effects, you just need to roll with it, so to speak.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018
I am going back soon.

I worked hard manual labor doing dishes, cooking the last 12 years.

I was not encouraged to return to school as I didn't have the financial mean.

I have borderline personality disorder, major depression, extreme anxiety, I suffer/suffered from an eating disorder,self harm.
I live in new York working four ten hr shifts each week in a brutal kitchen.

I am telling myself it's either school or die.

I have no support group. I feel as though I'm fighting for my life as I can't really continue to work these jobs due to the environments and the people who are just so, so happy to find flaws with others so as to elevate themselves.
Some people are great but by and large they're not.

I really hope you can do it op. I think we both can.

We just can't give up.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I went back to school at 23, prior to that I had not been in school since 14
The change was massive obviously but everyone around me was older, even now at 25 I am still one of the youngest in every course I take.

OP
OP
SuperBanana

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
I'm surprised so many have gone back late. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I hope it's worth it. I'll be gaining about $74,000 of debt. :(((((

Thanks for the Khan academy links. It has so much info. I think I can learn almost any maths from there. Or at least cobble together enough info to pass a short entry test.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 29 now and e-mailed the Uni yesterday. I got a reply giving all the info and telling me what to send them back. I'm a high school drop out since my childhood was full of severe depression and a very abusive alcoholic in my family making it impossible to study. However, I've grown up now and matured a lot. I work as a manager at a retail store but with 30 looming closer and closer I realized I want a better job. It pays ok but the hours suck, the work is hard, and the days are long. I can't still be here when I hit 40.

I decided to do a Diploma of Business and then a Bachelor degree of Business afterwards. Both online through their website. I wanted to do the diploma first since it eases you into the degree and I don't want to overwhelm myself.

I'm fucking terrified though. After over 10 years of not studying I now have to do an online test to show I can join the Uni. I have NO idea what to expect. It's an English and Maths test and while I think I'll do fine in English the Maths from my high school years I have forgotten. At my job and in my personal life I use Maths all the time but I use a calculator for a lot of it and much of it is working our roster hours, inventory stocks, and other things like that.. If they give me hard mathematical equations I might freeze like a deer in headlights or simply forget how to work it out without someone helping refresh me and failing an entry test would be the worst possible outcome I could imagine.

How anyone gone back to study after so many years? How did you find it? I feel completely out of my depth but I really want to improve myself and my life.
Don't be terrified. My wife started at 27 and graduated at 30. An ex gf of mine started college the at 40, and was in the same classes as my son!! lol

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
I went back to school at 34. Already had a useless BA but went for an EET associate degree with the option of doing another 2 years for a bachelor's in electrical engineering which I'm strongly considering. I was scared about the math too and had to start off brushing up on my algebra and re-taking trigonometry, but ended up taking math classes through Calc 3 and graduating with a 3.9+ GPA. The secret to doing well in math classes is to study, and study, and then study some more until you grasp the concepts and can do the problems. That's one of the nice things about math classes in my opinion- as hard as they may be, you either know it or you don't, and you just keep studying and working out examples and cranking out problems until you do.

Whatever your background, if you're serious about studying and have good teachers/studying material you'll do fine.

Milennia

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised so many have gone back late. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I hope it's worth it. I'll be gaining about $74,000 of debt. :(((((

Thanks for the Khan academy links. It has so much info. I think I can learn almost any maths from there. Or at least cobble together enough info to pass a short entry test.
Yeah, in my experience at least most of the friends I have made in school are all in their 30s, it's actually rare to see young 18 year old kids in my college.
Everyone starts somewhere.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm gonna go for the first time when I'm 28. I'm terrified because I have anxiety and depression but I need my life to be better, plus I hope to make friends on top of all that.

philipnorth

Oct 31, 2017
Good for you man. I'm 41 and starting on my bachelor's later this year as well. For me it Will Also mean a transition in career, since i'll be moving from it to law.

But even then, at our age, you still have so many working years ahead of you. You should keep educating yourself.
Find a company that encourages that and you're set!

Milennia

Oct 25, 2017
Just to add to it, I have had multiple 50 or so year olds in various courses as well, and these werent entry level either. I am literally 25 and have a girl in my class who is in her mid 30s telling me i'm still a baby in her eyes.

witty_mittie3

Oct 25, 2017
Mississippi
Good luck! I actually did my Bachelor's in Business Administration with the first two years of community college, and the latter two years online at a University.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The technical college I went to had students of all different age groups, particularly within the program I was in which had students as young as 17, to 23, to 28, to 40, even over 50. My time with those students was far more favorable to what I have to deal with over at the university where everyone is young. Some fresh out of high school and those are the worst.

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
College can be a scary place for anyone, even someone like myself who started very young. You will be fine as long as you work hard and study hard. Unfortunately, young College/Uni people tend to be immature, cliquey, narcissistic and tend to take everything for granted. I avoided them all like the plague and did fine. I'm sure you will do great as well.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
Don't forget you won't fool your classmate chums without calling them "fellow kids".
How do you do, fellow kids? - I'm going to uni in September at the age of 28 (to do electrical engineering). I've also been doing an Access course for the past 9 months, so I'm able to meet the requirements for university, although most of the people on my course have been mid 20s. It's going to be weird living with and studying with 18 year olds.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
How do you do, fellow kids? - I'm going to uni in September at the age of 28 (to do electrical engineering). I've also been doing an Access course for the past 9 months, so I'm able to meet the requirements for university, although most of the people on my course have been mid 20s. It's going to be weird living with and studying with 18 year olds.
Yes. Moving into a student house was the weirdest part. The school was pretty straightforward by comparison.

teruterubozu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't worry man. When I went to grad school the older students were always the most popular in class. They were smart, experienced and the other students looked up to them and even went to them for advice on various things.

Vautrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never really understood the shame in doing this. Like people who are ashamed of going to the gym if you are overweight? I don't think there is a single person looking down on you, and the people that know what they are doing admire you for what you are doing. It's always scary going into the unknown but all those fears will be dispelled as soon as you are there.

Akalance

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
I'm in this exact position, just a year younger. I did a year or uni back in 07/08 and had...issues. I've been at my current retail job for 8 years now, and have rocketed all the love way up to the lowest rung of management.

The good news is that this company has a tuition reimbursement program that covers 80% per semester, with a cap of 5k a year. To that will pretty much cover my 2 years at Community. The hairy bit will be the 2 years to finish, but I'll gladly go in debt to have a future and some semblance of purpose.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I'm thinking about going back within the next year, and will be close to that age (albeit older). I'm nervous about going back and being the oldest person in class, and doing it all again. I haven't been in school since I graduated college almost ten years ago.