Jason's answer on various questions
  • OP
    OP
    jschreier

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
    Verified
    Oct 25, 2017
    Hey Jason! I'd like to say Blood, Sweat and Pixels was a genuinely refreshing insight into the inner workings of the industry and how stressful it all could be sometimes. Informative and enthralling. And I can't wait to pick up Press Reset tomorrow!

My Questions below, please feel free to answer whatever you'd like or even all four if you'd like to! :)
    • As someone who loves gobbling up investigative stories, I have a secret list of works I've read that I'd like to see come to life on the big screen and Blood, Sweat and Pixels is high up on the list. But the bigger question is do you ever see your work ending up in a movie/documentary like in a festival spotlight etc. or would you even like it to? Have you ever been approached about this in the past?
    • Who is the most impressive game developer you have talked to?
    Optional:
    • Your five favorite games. Any five!
    • Light theme or Dark theme gang here on ERA?
    Thanks!

1) Yes, absolutely. I've had several conversations about Blood, Sweat, and Pixels turning into something on the screen but nothing has come to fruition just yet. Here's hoping. I'd very much like to get my hands dirty with some documentary storytelling in gaming.

2) I'm impressed by anyone who manages to finish a game.

3) This is just randomly off the top of my head and not an official list, but: StarCraft II, Baldur's Gate 2, Suikoden II, Diablo 2, Lunar 2... holy crap how did these all wind up being 2s?

4) I just use whatever's default and haven't bothered changing it.

Jason's answer about how to combat crunch
  • OP
    OP
    jschreier

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
    Verified
    Oct 25, 2017
    Hey Jason,

Other than unionization and the normalization of remote work post-pandemic, what changes have to occur in the video game industry to improve working conditions, reduce burnout, and give workers more of a voice? Also, is there anything game enthusiasts can do to make those changes a reality?

Congratulations on your new book and thanks for your time!
    Well you just named two of the things that I think could have the most significant impact!

I'm not sure that gamers can really do much other than be supportive, loud, and vocal about the need for change. Feel free to boycott games that you feel were made under unethical circumstances if you'd like, but individual action isn't going to have a ton of impact on systemic problems. I guess the best thing to do is just try to make it clear to companies and developers that you care about the people making games and not just the end product.

Jason's answers on another batch of questions
  • OP
    OP
    jschreier

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
    Verified
    Oct 25, 2017
    OK I'm just gonna copy-paste a bunch of questions in here at once to make this a bit more readable.

As someone with an interest in getting into the game journalism industry, I understand that you probably get some benefits but also a lot of work and hardships to overcome. What is the biggest obstacle you have faced across your game journalism career, and what advice would you give to any aspiring game journalists on overcoming said obstacle?

There are so many. Just to pick one at random: to be any good at game journalism (or any journalism), you have to realize that you're going to piss some people off. There will always be people who don't like the way you covered them, who take issue with your choice of words or story, who want to get into arguments with you for all sorts of reasons. Achieving the kind of headspace it takes to accept that people won't like you just for doing your job can take a while.

Question: What have been the scoops/cases where you have received the most backlash from? Most positive and the most whine-y?

I don't think I've ever published anything that hasn't led to some whining, but I remember getting a loooot of nasty messages when I reported that Fallout 76 was going to be a multiplayer game.

Some studios and companies seem worse than others in terms of employee burnout. For studios with stronger talent retention than average, what is it that they do differently? Are employees generally happy at those studios, or are things simply better than the worst case scenario? Or is the whole industry about the same and any perceived differences from the outside are an illusion?

I'm not super-well-equipped to answer this question, but in general, I think if you have a really good boss you're willing to put up with a lot more than you might otherwise. For example, times have undoubtedly been tough at Double Fine, but because Tim Schafer is (by many accounts I've seen both publicly and privately) a really good boss and human being, they manage to keep a lot of people for a very long time, despite the fact that they're competing for talent with Bay Area companies like Facebook and Google that can pay triple the salaries.

Do you find any interesting parallels or contrasts between games development and working in press or writing books?

Yup. I've gotten a lot of questions about this during interviews for Press Reset, actually. There are a lot of similarities between the games industry issues I cover in the book (volatility, mismanagement, devaluing of employees) and the issues that journalists face. The biggest difference? The video game industry actually makes money. Which makes it all the more heinous to hear some of these stories.

Your Book doesn't appear to be out until June in the UK so wondered if that is sometimes planned or so you prefer a global needless to maximise marketing impact?

Completely out of my control and very annoying.

It's been interesting seeing your work at Bloomberg and also the Launcher at the Washington Post. Do you think we're going to see continued expansion of game coverage at big MSM publications?

I sure hope so! Given the size of the video game industry, it continues to shock me that some outlets don't have dedicated games reporters or teams.

Jason answers on Japanese companies, crunch trends, working at Bloomberg, and more
  • OP
    OP
    jschreier

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
    Verified
    Oct 25, 2017
    I'm assuming that doing the kind of investigative journalism you do, with Japanese developers presents significant challenges. But are there any Japanese games you wish you could dive into the development of, if you could?

Absolutely. I'd love to tell the whole story of Final Fantasy XV one day. Or, hell, the entire Final Fantasy series.

Thinking about all the reporting and stories you have done over the years, what is the trend or issue that you see seems to be the most common in derailing game development and leading to crunch? Are there any trends you were able to identify?

Inability to plan. Since games exist on the edge of art and software, where they have to both function and be "fun" to play, there is absolutely no way to schedule them properly. You can estimate how long something will take, and there are plenty of talented producers who can do a good job of that, but you can't estimate how long it'll take for something to be fun. That's why every single game is delayed. Combine that with hubris and constantly shifting directions and all the other problems that come with subjective creativity and you've got a recipe for lots of overwork.

How has working for Bloomberg affected your ability to do exposes? Do you feel like people take you more seriously now with that name behind you? Do you have people that can assist you with fact checking and research, or is does your day to day job look much the same as it did at Kotaku?
    I still haven't actually been to the office (starting a new job during a pandemic is strange) so my experiences have been a little skewed, but so far the biggest difference is that I've got a lot more freedom to pursue whatever leads I want since I don't really have to be involved with any day-to-day operations like I was at Kotaku. The flip side is that often those leads fall through because Bloomberg's got very different standards for what kind of gaming scoop or story we want to run. It's been a fascinating challenge, which is exactly why I came here.

What are, in your opinion and according to the info that you have, examples of good game studios that are well managed and present its workers with a good work/life balance? In what ways do these studios differ from others?
    It's tough to answer this question because it's impossible to prove a negative. I could talk to 10 people at a company and hear from them all that they're forced to go home at 6:30pm every day, but how do I know that the 11th is in the same boat? And if I do name names, as I've done in the past on occasion, it becomes part of the ongoing narrative that [x company] doesn't crunch or is a great place to work, when I don't really know that's the case for everyone there. I'm pondering ways to approach this question in the future and will hopefully be able to get back to you down the road one day with some answers, though.

What it do.

My question is: Has there been a situation where a publisher contacted you when one of your articles dropped threatening a C&D or something? Also without giving examples of course, has anyone high up in a company ever gave you a scoop or something?

Thats all. Congrats on the book might cop 😎
    No and yes.

Jason answers on the reviewer mindset, who he'd like to interview the most, teases his future project, and more
  • OP
    OP
    jschreier

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
    Verified
    Oct 25, 2017
    Hi Jason! First, just wanted to chime in and say I've appreciated your openness about questions in other places. I noticed some of the Reddit questions got pretty deep into inter-personal stuff and you didn't really have to answer, but you did.

My question for you is, as your writing has shifted away from previews/reviews/Destiny travelogues and more towards the business side of things, has your relationship with games changed at all? On Triple Click, you guys mention "reviewer brain" and having similar thoughts as you play. Do you still feel that? And can you ever shut it off/do you want to shut it off? Looking forward to the book!
    I don't think I'll ever be able to shut off "reviewer brain" or "content mine brain" tbh. It's not necessarily a bad thing, though. I like taking notes when I play games and trying to articulate thoughts that I can share on Triple Click or Twitter or wherever.

Hi Jason, hope you're well.
    If there is one developer/team you'd like to do a 1:1 with, who would it be and what's the main question you'd pose?
    Bobby Kotick. I have so many questions for him. And he's a brilliant guy so I bet it'd be one hell of a conversation.

Congrats on the book!

My question:

Some companies (Naughty Dog comes to mind along with recent 343I news) do not have mandatory crunch, but rely on their work culture riding coattails on "perfection" and "delivery" for the same. Developers who do not want to do crunch are disadvantaged by peer pressure. Is there any end in sight? Are companies doing anything to change this culture?
    There are certainly producers and team leads out there who go around and tell their employees to go home. And at the end of every big project at a company like Naughty Dog, there are meetings and postmortems and processes put in place to try to make things better for everyone. Problem is, when shit hits the fan and you're in the final 18 months and you've already delayed the game twice, everyone feels like crunch is unavoidable. Then, after an exhausting project ends, everyone wants to take the next year or two off to fuck around. Until suddenly they find themselves toward the end of a project with nothing to show. Rinse, repeat. It's a never-ending cycle. I know that sounds cynical, and I do believe there are ways to mitigate and avoid crunch culture, but I've heard the same horror story so many times.

Hello Jason,

Now that you have two books under your belt, what sort of subjects would you like to explore next for a potential third book?
    When I finished Blood, Sweat, and Pixels, I had no idea what I wanted to do next. But this time is a little different. I know exactly what I want to do next. And I'm trying to make it happen. You won't find out about it for quite a while, but if everything works out, it's going to be killer. Not to be a tease. Sorry.

Jason on surprising anecdotes
  • OP
    OP
    jschreier

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
    Verified
    Oct 25, 2017
    Really looking forward to your book Jason, I have it pre-ordered on audible.

During all your reporting, what have you encountered that really surprised you? Any particular anecdote or phenomena which made you rethink your understanding of video games or the people working on them?
    This is a good question but I can't think of anything at the moment. Press Reset has a lot of details that nearly made my head explode. Like when 38 Studios said it would take over the mortgages of employees moving from Boston to Rhode Island who couldn't sell their homes, and then those mortgages reverted back to employees when the studio collapsed, leaving those people completely fucked. The level of callousness in the games industry sometimes blows me away.

Any weird stories or details that you couldn't report on at the time, but enough time has passed that you are willing to talk about now?
    I don't think I've ever told this one publicly. A few days before No Man's Sky came out, they hadn't sent out early review copies because they were waiting on a day-one patch. We'd gone to J&L in NYC (which always breaks street date) and just bought a copy ourselves and we were streaming it on Kotaku's Facebook. Then I got a call from an unknown number. Turns out it was Sean Murray. He was very upset that we were showing the game off pre-patch. We talked for like 45 minutes? I'm still not sure how he got my cell phone number. I hope one day we get a chance to talk on the record. Would be fun times.

Jason's answers on receiving threats, and on games media
  • OP
    OP
    jschreier

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
    Verified
    Oct 25, 2017
    Do you receive many threatening emails/dms from company people that are mad you've shared something? Or from fanboys that are upset you've shared some negative news about their favorite console?
    From fans, yes, often. From companies, no not really. Game companies prefer to just ignore you when they're mad at you.

Hey Jason,

So my question concerns game journalism more broadly. With the recent departures at Giant Bomb there has been some comments about how few people remain covering games in the long run despite gaming growing in scope in all demographics. Know part of this is the broader trend of moving more to influencers and youtubers.

While Giant Bomb is more personality driven while you are more traditional reporting based, how do you see the nature of games coverage evolving and trying to maintain talent in the long run and in a changing landscape.
    I'm not sure why the GB folks left (and I wish them the best, such good guys) but let me talk a bit broadly about the state of games media.

The biggest problem in games media, as with most other beats in media, is that there's no money. For all of the nonsense you see about journalists writing articles for "clicks," pageviews don't exactly translate to cash very smoothly. Advertising revenue is in the shitter thanks to covid, Facebook, and Google, and while some sites have successfully found alternative revenue streams such as commerce, there isn't a ton of cash flowing around the media world right now. That's doubly true for gaming. Folks often complain that there's not enough investigative journalism on this beat, yet at the same time they're copy-pasting articles on Reddit to get around paywalls. Meanwhile, journalists at most gaming sites are overworked and underpaid. It's a bleak landscape! So if you're wondering why there are so many influencers willing to take money from Microsoft to shill the Kinect or whatever, it's because they need to eat.

To answer your question, I'd love to see more gaming sites adopt subscription models. It's worked well for personalities and shows - why shouldn't it work with reporting?

Jason answers on journalism degrees, volatility in the industry, Souls games, and more
  • OP
    OP
    jschreier

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
    Verified
    Oct 25, 2017
    Hi Jason,

I made a thread here awhile ago asking about getting a degree in journalism and you basically said it wouldn't be a good idea. Do you still believe that? If so could you elaborate just a bit?

Thanks!
    Oh yeah, absolutely. Unless someone else is paying for it. Definitely don't take out student loans for a degree in journalism. Major in business or finance or something else that will A) help you be better at journalism by understanding the world beyond the newsroom, and B) set you up for a backup plan in case journalism doesn't work out.

Aside from video game crunch and chaotic development issues, is there any other subjects regarding the video game industry you feel deserve more attention?
    Yes! I wrote a book about it.

A lot of people know that the game industry is full of brutal crunch, and I'm very glad that people are talking about it more and more these days, but in my reporting, I've found that the biggest issue in gaming isn't crunch -- it's volatility. The video game industry earns $180 billion in revenue a year but can't seem to avoid shutting down studios or conducting mass layoffs every few months. That, more than anything, is what leads people to burn out, and Press Reset is all about why it happens, how it happens, and how things can get better. (It's also pretty entertaining IMO, but I'm biased.)

How does the process of writing an insider article usually look like - from leaking to vetting to confirmation to writing the article? Do insiders come to you nowadays or do you have to poke around?
    Every good story starts with a question. Why was Anthem such a mess? Who was really responsible for Cyberpunk's shoddy launch? Who took the cookie from the cookie jar? Sometimes I'll come up with that question myself (or see lots of people asking it) and sometimes people will come to me asking it. Sometimes people will come to me with the answers to a question I hadn't even thought of, and then I'll work from there. Just about every "insider" story I've written also relies on more than one source corroborating it, so there's always some legwork involved even when someone comes to me in the first place.

which is the best souls game, and why is it demon's souls
    It's Bloodborne, but Demon's Souls is the perfect entry point, and the PS5 remake is superb. But the bosses in Demon's Souls are kind of a joke, so it can't be the best one.

Hey Jason,

Have you heard of steps or initiatives taken by major publishers or even platform holders themselves to try and mitigate the effects that the last year and change have had on development? Are we due for a slew of remasters, for example, to help bridge the gap in the pipeline for big budget titles?
    This is a great question. I think we are indeed about to see a slew of remasters, but I'm not sure how much of that is due to covid and how much is due to typical generational transitions. Usually the first couple years of a new generation is the perfect time for remasters anyway, as everyone's getting used to the new hardware (and waiting for people to buy it).

Hi Jason. Loved Blood, Sweat and Pixels. I can't wait for Press Reset.
    Since you talk about Irrational in the book, are there any details about where the core team are now ? Any new insights about what they're working on at Ghost Story Games ? All I know is they talked about some modular story concept.
    One tidbit I learned while reporting for Press Reset is that at one point, their goal was to ship a game in the fall of 2017.

Event is now concluded
  • B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
    General Manager
    Oct 25, 2017
    Official Staff Communication
    Looks like we're out of time, and this Q&Era live is officially over. Please thank Jason for his time and engagement with the community. If he wants to stick around and answer more questions and have a discussion with everyone he can do so at his leisure. The thread will be open to normal posting so that people can discuss the answers already given.

Jason answers about Eiyuden Chronicle, Bungie, what he enjoys about journalism, and more
  • OP
    OP
    jschreier

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
    Verified
    Oct 25, 2017
    Thank you! I had no idea that you had talked to Colantonio since. I'm glad he's not holding a grudge.

I have another question if that's alright with you and the mods.

On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being not excited and 10 being extremely excited, how excited are you about Eiyuden Chronicle?

I have played every mainline Suikoden game, and love the series. Eiyuden Chronicle's reveal was an event to me. The most I had ever spent on Kickstarter was 30$ I believe, many years ago. After then, I would sporadically back projects here and there only with small amounts ranging from 1$ to 10$. When Eiyuden's KS went live, I couldn't restrain myself and spent over 300 USD on it. As a big fan of Suikoden, this was my moment to be heard, so I made myself heard.
    10, but right now I'm trying to keep my excitement on the backburner until it's closer to actually being a real game.

I've been replaying Suikoden V, though, and man that game has aged well.

What do you think is next for Bungie? A continued refocusing on Destiny, or mostly just ramping up on their next big franchise property?

EDIT: Also, do you think the company's split with Activision has lead to better or worse working conditions for rank-and-file employees?
    Mix of both: lots of Destiny 2 and lots of work on their next big thing.

And yes, I do. Activision's insistence on constant sequels and annual production was really hurting a lot of people.

Is there any part of being a games journalist you particularly enjoy?
    I like this question because it's very easy to be cynical about both the media and gaming industry so sometimes it's nice to remind myself that I really do love this job. I love being a journalist because I love hearing and telling people's stories. There are few things I enjoy more than meeting someone who's done interesting things in the games industry and just asking them questions about their life and career. Sometimes the subject matter is bleak (like it was for Press Reset -- studio shutdowns are not exactly fun to talk about) but there's still something really special about getting to hear people's stories and try to tell them in an informative, compelling way. Reporting is just the best.

Hello Mr. Schreier,

Big fan of your work and reporting on the conditions of the videogame industry!
    I have one question: what story would you love to be reported on that you haven't looked into yourself?
    - The Konami side of Kojima vs Konami
    - FFXV: the full story
    - What went on inside the room when Microsoft did an 180 on the Xbox One

Jason answers on AAA "ceilings", playing FFXIV, covering slave labour
  • OP
    OP
    jschreier

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
    Verified
    Oct 25, 2017
    Hey Jason,

Regarding AAA budgets, crunch and the never ending expansion of them. Do you think there is a "ceiling" where AAA cannot keep up the established pace to churn out these games? Have you heard such woes from developers you've spoken to?

Cheers.
    Oh yes. I think we've already kind of hit that point. Look at Cyberpunk!

Hi Jason.

Where are you currently at in FFXIV in terms of story/content?
    About halfway through Stormblood. Slogging through whenever I have spare time.

Hi Jason. I think you do a fantastic job covering the labor issues with the software development aspect of the video game business. However, we have seen over the years that there are also very significant labor issues in the hardware manufacturing side as well, including things like outsourced labor in certain parts of the world that have been alleged to be extremely exploitative. Is this something you are interested in covering in the future? It seems underreported in the gaming press so it would be good to hear your take on it.
    Any injustice in the video game industry is something I'd want to cover, but at a certain point, short of flying out to China and trying to interview people myself (not practical or realistic at the moment), there's not a lot I can do to write about this particular issue right now.

Jason answers on leaks and the God of War example
  • OP
    OP
    jschreier

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
    Verified
    Oct 25, 2017
    Hi Jason, why are you so adamant about revealing games that dev studios aint ready to reveal themselves (last time it was The Last of Us remake)?

I watched your reasoning in minmax interview (i hope i didnt butcher the name) and I found it pretty weak. You cant really compare amount of secrecy with movie business, tbh you cant compare it to anything else. You cant shoot a big movie im secret lol.

You know all the problems, the stress and everything else that revealing the game sooner than it is ready it creates, right?

Why do something that so little appreciate, while you hurt (one way or the other) someome else? I dont like knowing about the remake. It doesnt create healthy expextations prior to reveal and yeah, we can talk about the surprise aspect of gaming news/reveals, which you evidently dont care about.

I cant imagine that, as an example, you would ruin GOW reveal with orchestra for me with a leak that next gow is gomma be revealed soon.

Its just, why do you go against the most people, devs, publishers and even a lot of gamers?

The secrecy in videogames industry is fucked up, but I think we need to uncover totally different things than these (of some you are already doing and I admire you for that - and I bought both of your books).

Thanks for reply
    I'm cutting the line to answer this real quick because you've inadvertently proved the points I made on Minnmax.

You know that God of War reveal that everyone always brings up as feeling special because it didn't leak? It leaked two months beforehand. Nobody remembers this, of course, because something can emotionally resonate with you even if you know it's coming. This is a complicated topic, there's no doubt, but it's preposterous that everyone always brings up God of War.