Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
When discussing older movies, people seem to have a "You had X years to see it" sort of attitude, the crux of the argument being that if you had enough time to get your chance to see a movie, then it's on you for not having seen it by now.

While reasonable on the surface, this doesn't actually work in practice. What if you simply haven't heard of an older movie? For example, about 5 years ago, I was browsing movies and decided to put on the Unusual Suspects out of sheer randomness. I was just look for something to watch, and happened on this movie. I think a friend may have recommended it, but gave no details on what it was. Otherwise, I have never heard of it before, never seen any information about it, nothing. As far as I knew, it was a highly obscure movie. I watched it and when I saw the ending, and thought that was pretty good. Some time later, I saw someone randomly post the major spoiler from that movie in a thread, and when someone called him out on it, he simply made the above argument: It was a several decade old movie, so spoiling it was free game.

The thing is, if I hadn't seen the Usual Suspects by then, which only happened on pure whim from boredom, I'd have had a good element on a movie I didn't even know existed (but would have enjoyed) spoiled for me. And that kind of conflicts with the assertion "you had X years to see it" argument, because I really didn't. I didn't even know it existed until long after it was made and I could have easily not seen it for more years to come. I'd also like to point out that how old you are depends on this as well. If your 13 years old, there are a multitude of reasons you wouldn't have heard of all sorts of older films until you went exploring.

Lets take another example, the most famous one ever: Darth Vader is Luke's father. (and before you pedantic shits with delusions of wit even try to turn the tables and say "Well, you just had a spoiler in your thread, didn't you", no, because this is so ubiquitously branded into society that it doesn't count as a spoiler, even if it should, which is actually what the next paragraph is about....)

I was spoiled to this twist before I knew what star wars was. People make a big deal out of star wars being the most culturally important blockbuster phenomenon of all time and I guess I certainly make enough SW threads to validate that to some degree, but to be honest, I don't like the original trilogy that much, for various reasons. But a big part of them is that when I finally watched them for the first time, my mind was constantly thinking "I've seen this done better elsewhere". And in regards to the twist itself, any impact of it was robbed because I was spoiled to Darth Vader being Luke's father through parodies, references, tributes, and otherwise allusions to the material from as early as when I was 8 years old.

I was spoiled to "I am your father" before I knew what Star Wars even was. So how can it be said that I had a fair chance to see it for myself?

And how did that affect how I enjoyed the movies? It's impossible to say, but it makes me sad to think I'd have liked the movies more if I didn't have that information thrust into my face so early. I am not a major spoilerphobe, but I nevertheless remembered that when I watched it, I wasn't in the moment with Luke and his shock and horror at the revelation. My first thought was "Oh, so this is where all the references come from", and I just think that's a bit of a shame.

Now listen, you are all lovely, intelligent people who can readily comprehend nuanced and detailed arguments....it's just that a good portion of you also have the attention span of goldfish hopped up on some amphetamines. So I'm anticipating a lot of replies that didn't get past the title or else the first few paragraphs and just assumed my argument to be that we should not talk about spoilers ever regardless of time or something to that effect. But I actually don't think that's reasonable.

Mostly because I think some spoilers....evolve, for a lack of better word. It's become this thing that everyone who is a member of the geek community has seen, to the point where we make references to it in other works, which means it's commonality spreads further. Darth Vader being Luke's father isn't merely the twist of Empire Strikes Back, or even merely a story beat, it's a cultural touchstone. There was a thread either here or back at the old place, where some poster came in and said that they had not only never seen Star Wars but also never knew that "I am your father" referred to Luke and Darth Vader, so when he finally did see it, he was hit with the twist as close to as someone who saw it in 1980 could do. But more interestingly, the reactions of every poster was something to behold. Everyone was so baffled and confused how this person could have gone 20 years without ever seeing Star Wars or even making the connection of what "I am your father" was. Everyone honestly treated him like some kind of alien, just because it was THAT incomprehensible that a person would go through that much of their life without knowing about Luke's dad.

Currently, we have the fastest induced version of this with Thanos' snap. I don't feel the need to hide it for the same reasons I don't feel the need to hide Luke's Father, evne though the snap is still relatively new. It's not just because everyone and their mother saw Infinity War twice either. The Snap, like the SW twist, wasn't just a plot point, it was a was a big cultural moment for all of us where we saw our blockbuster heroes, who have never truly lost in a movie before, lose catastrophically. It was a moment that deeply affected us, so what did we do? Well, what we always do as a society with our art: we meme

And through those memes, the snap spread through the internet like wildfire, and eventually, everyone knew about it whether they had an interest in Avengers or not. You can't realistically contain that. And by consequence, plenty of people, especially kids who are just starting to watch these, are now gonna be in my star wars situation, where it is Superhero movies might be something they enjoy, but they will be told about the snap before they even have a chance. And, again, the snap is only one year old.

So, I'm not saying spoilers are offlimits because...well, they can't be. We make a good portion of our culture off some spoilers. However, whats the solution to this then? Are you supposed to just watch all of cinema...like, every movie ever made, as soon as you decide you like movies in general? Because even if you limit it to just the major ones, that's still hundreds of hours of watching movies (and TV shows and games and so on) just so some person doesn't innocently spoil it without knowing because they assume, since it's been so many years, everyone'd have seen it. That's not really practical. I think all we can do is hope people are courteous about it atleast. Just keep in mind that no matter how old a movie is, someone hasn't seen it before, and they might like to, and there is no reason you have to include it in the title of your threads where people would be forced to see it.

Anyway, snape kills dumbledore.

Last edited:

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Don't go out of your way to spoil somebody you know hasn't seen the movie/TV show but at the same time the onus falls on the other party if they haven't seen a work after a decent amount of time has passed. If you care that much about spoilers for a work well maybe you should have made a point of watching the thing.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
It's always somebody's first time seeing a movie or reading a book. Either through not knowing it existed or being born after the material was released.

For instance there is probably a kid out there who is picking up the Harry Potter books for the first time, in which case I hope they don't read your post.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Heres the thing, if you want to have any discussion about media you either have to openly discuss spoilers or be so cagey about it that the point you originally wanted to raise becomes moot. If you want to discuss how something you just saw relates to media in its broadest context, you need to reference other work. To be able to say how cool X was we need to openly reference to Y, Z and W scenes that happened in other stuff. If you want to engage with others about media, you have to accept that people connect to it by referencing stuff and drawing comparisons. We have decided that a grace period of a couple weeks is a good dead-point where stuff is kind of kept hidden away until everyone else catches up. However, this really gets in the way of talking about what you want to talk. The Russos themselves said so, two weeks is good enough to let people catch up. From then on, policing spoilers just hinders the conversation.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
What about commonly known twists like Citizen Kane or The Sixth Sense? In fact, the twist of The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is so well known, it isn't a twist at all anymore, they show it in the beginning.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Counterpoint: time limit on spoilers is more than reasonable. Also: Sane.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
I totally agree with you about the Star Wars thing. By the time I saw it I knew all the basic plot points, and was kinda underwhelmed when I actually saw the movies. Also I had seen movies like Jurassic Park and Terminator 2 by then so Star Wars was kinda lame lol.

But yeah you can't really complain about spoilers for shit like Star Wars,that's basically part of history at this point.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
in The Mysterious Affair at Styles, Hercule Poirot catches the killer by disguising himself as a lamp, with his penis acting at the light switch

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, even your suggestion can limit discussion. If someone made a thread title like "So about the twist in The Usual Suspects" then I may click on it. If your thread title is super vague though, I'm just not going to even jump in.

I agree that if you had been in a conversation and mentioned an old movie you hadn't seen that people shouldn't then spoil it for you. But discussion of things is gonna take place and it can't be so sanitized as to effectively shut it down. Some of the suggestions for spoiler-free title templates are so vague, they may as well not bother.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, Snape? Damn, my copy had a typo...

XanDboV.jpg

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
No one should be going out of their way to spoil shit, but at the same time people talk about out things. Spoilers for one person are common talking points for others. If you exist in a public space where you interact with others (either in real life on an open-discussion forum) other people don't have to avoid talking about things just because you haven't seen/read it. The time limit is a common curtesy, but it's by no means necessary...

People need to get over the irrational level of spoiler-fear that's been happening...

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
speaking of Agatha Christie, I still dont know who the killer is in The Mousetrap

I bet it was Nathan Lane

OP
OP
Veelk

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, even your suggestion can limit discussion. If someone made a thread title like "So about the twist in The Usual Suspects" then I may click on it. If your thread title is super vague though, I'm just not going to even jump in.

I agree that if you had been in a conversation and mentioned an old movie you hadn't seen that people shouldn't then spoil it for you. But discussion of things is gonna take place and it can't be so sanitized as to effectively shut it down. Some of the suggestions for spoiler-free title templates are so vague, they may as well not bother.
I'm not sure I understand. If a thread is titled "The twist in the Usual Suspects", and you haven't seen the Usual Suspects and care about it not being spoiled, why would you click it? And what sanitized about simply adding a spoiler marker?

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just put a younger god onto Sopranos and didn't spoil shit. He got the experience everything new, even the ending.

Jan 31, 2018
In situations like this, some basic decency would be nice. It's really not asking for a lot. Time limits are fine but context is better. A general thread of about TV shows for example should be fair game for spoilers and folks should understand that. But a completely different topic shouldn't be and in that case, sensitive info should under spoiler tags, particularly for new material.

In general, yeah, as times goes on it becomes impossible to avoid spoilers once the work in question becomes ingrained in popular culture. Everything is either parodied or copied in some way so that the original becomes almost stale. Stars Wars is probably the biggest example.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
User warned: Inflammatory comparison
Honestly. Get over it. The pure no spoiler experience isn't really all that better. If a show or movie is good then being spoiled doesn't matter.

Anti-spoiler peeps are as bad as anti-vaxxers

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I understand. If a thread is titled "The twist in the Usual Suspects", and you haven't seen the Usual Suspects and care about it not being spoiled, why would you click it? And what sanitized about simply adding a spoiler marker?

I'm saying I've seen the movie and would find discussion about the twist interesting, so I'd click on that thread. But a super spoiler-free title that just vaguely says something like "Let's talk about the Usual Suspects" wouldn't get a click. It's too vague.

At some point, discussion can't happen if you're so scared of spoilers that thread titles basically have to be OT titles without specific information in them. You just get threads no one will open.

Heres the thing, if you want to have any discussion about media you either have to openly discuss spoilers or be so cagey about it that the point you originally wanted to raise becomes moot. If you want to discuss how something you just saw relates to media in its broadest context, you need to reference other work. To be able to say how cool X was we need to openly reference to Y, Z and W scenes that happened in other stuff. If you want to engage with others about media, you have to accept that people connect to it by referencing stuff and drawing comparisons. We have decided that a grace period of a couple weeks is a good dead-point where stuff is kind of kept hidden away until everyone else catches up. However, this really gets in the way of talking about what you want to talk. The Russos themselves said so, two weeks is good enough to let people catch up. From then on, policing spoilers just hinders the conversation.

This says my point much better.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
It's really not that hard folks... just be considerate with your thread titles and don't put too much info about the subject JUST to get attention. Just put "Question/opinion about this movie name [Spoilers inside]".

OP
OP
Veelk

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm saying I've seen the movie and would find discussion about the twist interesting, so I'd click on that thread. But a super spoiler-free title that just vaguely says something like "Let's talk about the Usual Suspects" wouldn't get a click. It's too vague.

At some point, discussion can't happen if you're so scared of spoilers that thread titles basically have to be OT titles without specific information in them. You just get threads no one will open.

This says my point much better.
I feel this is more about people being able to make catchy titles than anything. If "lets talk about the twist in The Usual Suspects" would get you to click, I think that's fine and doesn't really spoil anything other than that there is a twist, which I don't think should count as a real spoiler. Or if it does "Lets talk about the Ending of the usual suspects" accomplishes the same specificity without even revealing that there is a twist.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
So, I'm not saying spoilers are offlimits because...well, they can't be. We make a good portion of our culture off some spoilers. However, whats the solution to this then? Are you supposed to just watch all of cinema...like, every movie ever made, as soon as you decide you like movies in general?
I think the solution is to chill out. There's always new shit you can experience fresh. You don't have a right to be protected from the last century of movies or books or whatever.

I agree with the basic premise of your thread - yeah, be courteous - but I think that's generally understood as a courtesy -- not an obligation.

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
How egocentric do you need to be to be believe that the entire internet must follow your special spoiler needs.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Gonna repost and expand on what I said in the hilariously provocative Jon Snow thread from earlier:

No one is under any obligation whatsoever to preserve the sanctity of your viewing experience. Out of basic human decency, don't deliberately go out of your way to spoil something for people you know are interested in experiencing the thing, but as an uninitiated audience member you are deserving of exactly nothing. Entertainment is not a human rights issue. If you happen to encounter discussion in the wild that "ruins" your enjoyment of a thing... tough shit. Move on with your life. You do not get to berate and accost another human being for not jumping through hoops to ensure that the idealized conception of your media consumption experience is realized. There is far more value in a healthy discussion and analysis of media than there is in maintaining hermetically sealed viewing experiences for all time.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
the world doesn't revolve around one person who just might watch something

going around spoiling shit for no reason like the end game people after release is obviously not ok.....but people are not going to avoid discussion of something for years just because someone who hasn't watched it yet and doesn't care enough to watch it

OP
OP
Veelk

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna repost and expand on what I said in the hilariously provocative Jon Snow thread from earlier:

No one is under any obligation whatsoever to preserve the sanctity of your viewing experience. Out of basic human decency, don't deliberately go out of your way to spoil something for people you know are interested in experiencing the thing, but as an uninitiated audience member you are deserving of exactly nothing. Entertainment is not a human rights issue. If you happen to encounter discussion in the wild that "ruins" your enjoyment of a thing... tough shit. Move on with your life. You do not get to berate and accost another human being for not jumping through hoops to ensure that the idealized conception of your media consumption experience is realized.

No one that I've ever seen has suggested we put spoiler protection into a bill, pass it through congress and the legislative branch of the government so that it becomes a law and a prosecutable offence. Nobody. It's always been, as you said, just a dick move. Which is not nice or even good, but allowable social interaction. My question is, if that's acceptable, then why are you implying that people shouldn't call you a fucking piece of shit garbage or the like over that? That's not accosting you and it's allowable behavior, even on Era if the circumstances call for it. Berating a person is similarly not a nice or even a good thing to do, but certainly allowable in a number of situations.

I agree, entertainment isn't a human rights issue. But neither is berating a person.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I feel this is more about people being able to make catchy titles than anything. If "lets talk about the twist in The Usual Suspects" would get you to click, I think that's fine and doesn't really spoil anything other than that there is a twist, which I don't think should count as a real spoiler. Or if it does "Lets talk about the Ending of the usual suspects" accomplishes the same specificity without even revealing that there is a twist.

A lot of people would consider it a spoiler.

And there are other examples. Basically any time someone wants to discuss a specific event in media, you'll probably have to title the topic a bit spoilery. For example, over the next few years, people will want to write about certain characters' deaths in stuff like Game of Thrones. But if your thread/article/tweet starts off "about that one death in GoT" then there's no hook. There are so many deaths that if you wanna make a point about a specific one, you'll probably have to mention who it is, or at least something specific. Otherwise, it's just too vague.

Again, don't go out and spoil people if they ask you not to. But in a space where people will discuss media, you'll have to accept that people can't be so vague and still communicate.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada

No one is under any obligation whatsoever to preserve the sanctity of your viewing experience. Out of basic human decency, don't deliberately go out of your way to spoil something for people you know are interested in experiencing the thing, but as an uninitiated audience member you are deserving of exactly nothing. Entertainment is not a human rights issue. If you happen to encounter discussion in the wild that "ruins" your enjoyment of a thing... tough shit. Move on with your life. You do not get to berate and accost another human being for not jumping through hoops to ensure that the idealized conception of your media consumption experience is realized. There is far more value in a healthy discussion and analysis of media than there is in maintaining hermetically sealed viewing experiences for all time.
Exactly. Don't jump on a table and blurt out spoilers like a jack ass. But the other party has to realize that you can be spoiled even by accident. Just accept it and move on.

OP
OP
Veelk

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people would consider it a spoiler.

And there are other examples. Basically any time someone wants to discuss a specific event in media, you'll probably have to title the topic a bit spoilery. For example, over the next few years, people will want to write about certain characters' deaths in stuff like Game of Thrones. But if your thread/article/tweet starts off "about that one death in GoT" then there's no hook. There are so many deaths that if you wanna make a point about a specific one, you'll probably have to mention who it is, or at least something specific. Otherwise, it's just too vague.

Again, don't go out and spoil people if they ask you not to. But in a space where people will discuss media, you'll have to accept that people can't be so vague and still communicate.
What would "About the Ending of The Usual Suspects" spoil? Every movie ends, and that you want to say something about it doesn't say anything about the ending, so...

And in the GoT circumstance, I would write "The best death in Game of Thrones" or "The Wierdest Death in GoT" or "The Scariest death in GoT" or something like that. Rather than specifying the character who died, I'd say what I find remarkable about the death, which oftne works as a hook for the topic. So I'm not convinced that your problem wouldn't be solved with people just being more inventive with their thread titles

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I mean if you have come to the hypothesis that spoilers are a part of culture because important moments and scenes become ingrained in our everyday psyche as a memorable event. Then the only reasonable response is to calm down and accept that sometimes you'll get spoiled on things and that's ok. Because as you said it's a part of pop culture/culture and trying to stop that via a metaphorical line in the sand. is gonna be one giant waste of time.

*Wait this is all over thread titles? lol nvm don't even care then. Thought this discussion was about more then just a title.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
You won't believe what big homey god does on the seventh day.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
What would "About the Ending of The Usual Suspects" spoil? Every movie ends, and that you want to say something about it doesn't say anything about the ending, so...

I meant my title mentioning the twist. I've met tons of people who think knowing a twist exists (not even what it is!) is a spoiler.

And in the GoT circumstance, I would write "The best death in Game of Thrones" or "The Wierdest Death in GoT" or "The Scariest death in GoT" or something like that. Rather than specifying the character who died, I'd say what I find remarkable about the death, which oftne works as a hook for the topic. So I'm not convinced that your problem wouldn't be solved with people just being more inventive with their thread titles

I'll be honest, I wouldn't click any of those.

SPOILERS

An article titled "Ned's Death in GoT is groundbreaking" or something like that would get me to read it. A title like "This Character's Death in GoT is groundbreaking" wouldn't. It's just so vague. I have no idea what the thesis of this could even be because there are like a dozen dead characters. It's a Buzzfeed-tier clickbait title that would see me keep on scrolling. I generally refuse to reward such titles with traffic.

No one should publish such a title like that former one when the episode airs. But years later? Yeah, it's fair game, and in my case, would be necessary to get me to care.

Oct 26, 2017
I feel bad about that Jon Snow thread. I would've been pissed to be spoiled, but OP took it well, apologized, moved on. It was the defenders that swarmed in with, "you had x amount of years to see it!" posts that were bad.

I meant my title mentioning the twist. I've met tons of people who think knowing a twist exists (not even what it is!) is a spoiler..
I'm highly allergic to spoilers, and if someone tells me there is a twist, it bugs me. But...I don't go so far to hold that against them. I kindly ask ahead of time they tell me nothing so I can go in blind. And if I accidentally read about it online...I'll have to get over it. The only reason I don't like hearing there is a twist though is that there are a ton of movies where the ending becomes extremely obvious if you know there is a twist coming. Because well...sadly, a lot of movies/TV shows have shite writing, and a twist is generally, "what would you expect the least to happen? It gonna happen."

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Because everything is a spoiler these days and some people are just tooooo fucking sensitive.

For example say I wanted to discuss
captain marvels new hairstyle
. How on earth would I create a title for it without triggering someone. And to be frank, if something like that triggers someone, why should I even care about protecting them as it's ridiculous.
And I'm being completely honest, there are no doubt heaps of people that this would count as a spoiler

Oct 26, 2017
Gandalf comes back to life in the two towers.
But technically speaking, is it REALLY Gandalf?! We might have to keep deep into nerd debate on that one.

Because everything is a spoiler these days and some people are just tooooo fucking sensitive.

. How on earth would I create a title for it without triggering someone. And to be frank, if something like that triggers someone, why should I even care about protecting them as it's ridiculous.
And I'm being completely honest, there are no doubt heaps of people that this would count as a spoiler
I really, really, really doubt this kind of thing would make anyone upset.

OP
OP
Veelk

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I meant my title mentioning the twist. I've met tons of people who think knowing a twist exists (not even what it is!) is a spoiler.

I'll be honest, I wouldn't click any of those.

SPOILERS

An article titled "Ned's Death in GoT is groundbreaking" or something like that would get me to read it. A title like "This Character's Death in GoT is groundbreaking" wouldn't. It's just so vague. I have no idea what the thesis of this could even be because there are like a dozen dead characters. It's a Buzzfeed-tier clickbait title that would see me keep on scrolling. I generally refuse to reward such titles with traffic.

No one should publish such a title like that former one when the episode airs. But years later? Yeah, it's fair game, and in my case, would be necessary to get me to care.
I mean....I honestly don't think that it's straight up impossible to make an attactive or attention grabbing title or even one that specifically mentions Ned's death in a way that also hides the spoiler from those who haven't seen it. It just requires a creative use of language. You keep setting up the dilemma as a choice between "Vague and undefined" and something that just outright spoils the story, and I think theres a way to be make titles catchy but still hide spoilers.

You seem to be just arguing that titles without specific spoilers in them wouldn't make you click them even if they are otherwise attention grabbing or specific in their thesis statement.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017

Just discuss it in a thread with open spoilers. Dont create a thread with the spoiler in the title. Problem solved.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
The problem is that courtesy is dead. People are just a-holes these days. Completely selfish a-holes. And unfortunately with something like spoilers it only takes a very few to absolutely trash something. For everyone being reasonable about spoilers and trying not to overreact, theres 2 or 3 assholes that are like "So what, it doesnt really matter anyway" fucking everything up.

Honestly:

Honestly. Get over it. The pure no spoiler experience isn't really all that better. If a show or movie is good then being spoiled doesn't matter.

Anti-spoiler peeps are as bad as anti-vaxxers

Just like that. This is why no one wants to give an inch on spoilers and are so guarded. Giving an inch only leads to this crap. Thankfully a lot of uber popular things are ending now like Avengers, and GoT so we can escape these people. The people these things attract matters. I don't remember ever having to deal with this crap for less popular shows and films. Its always the ones that attract the super large audiences.

Just discuss it in a thread with open spoilers. Dont create a thread with the spoiler in the title. Problem solved.

Key-Peele-Teacher-Thanks-The-Class-For-Using-Proper-Names-For-Once.gif

At one point in the OPENING WEEKEND we had 4 threads for spoilers for Endgame.... 4... One for discussion of the film, one for memes, one for future MCU speculation and another for something else someone made a thread for that didn't really needs its own thread.

Last edited:

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
I was late to a lot of movies. I was either not born like Star Wars or too young like most 90s stuff or just never got to see it like Sixth Sense.

The problem is that there's twists like Sixth Sense where you can avoid it and then there's Infinity War where it set up the next movie and it was only kind of a twist. You have stuff like Star Wars where the story no longer has a twist anymore, but the new trilogy does.

You kind of gotta pick and choose, but the main take away should be to not spoil things best you can. Don't ruin something just because you want to argue it's in the public domain of knowledge.