• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
So story time tonight:

I took my wife and 3 daughters to our neighborhood community pool this evening after dinner, around 8 PM. When we got there we have two life guards on duty and there was: 1 adult reading in a chair, a small group of HS teenage girls just swimming around, and 2 life guards. Eventually another couple shows up.

So basically my kids were the only small kids at this pool this evening.

There was a dude, by himself, sitting by himself, smoking on a vape pen, and had a portable speaker on his iPhone playing hip hop music very loud. I mean, EVERYONE could hear every word of the music, I could hear it was loud when I got out of my car outside of the pool.

So naturally this music has a lot of MA-18 language in it: "bitch" "cunt" "niggas" "motherfuckers" ya know, about what you would expect. Granted, I don't know anything hip hop music. The messages of the songs could have had a very important social justice anthem to them, I don't know. Let's just assume they did. That's fine. Hip hop isn't for me, but I get it resonates with its audience, that's great. There were TWO lifeguards (granted they were just teenagers) and other adults at the pool. Nobody seemed to mind the loud music.

Anyway, I go over to the guide sitting by himself and politely ask while smiling, "Hey buddy, do you mind turning the music down a little bit?"

He says: "Why? You got a problem?"

Me: "Well, it's not exactly family friendly, and this is a community area."

He says: "You gonna do something about it? We got a problem? *he says this very aggressively*"

Me: "Nope, I was just asking for you to consider turning it down."

He says: "Well you better back up and step off me."

Me: "Okay, thanks!"

Smile and walk away.

... We continued to stay at the pool and enjoyed our family time. My kids are young. My oldest said she "heard the bad words", but my two younger ones didn't notice. My wife was personally offended by all the references of women being called bitches and slapping bitches (she came from a abusive marriage and household) and didn't want our young daughters hearing that. She laughed at my story of the dude wanting to pick a fight for me telling him to turn down the music.

He actually DID turn the music down a few minutes later. But later turned it back up loud with a very loud BITCH in the song, I'm sure to make a point haha!

TLDR;
Is it not basic consideration for other humans NOT to play music loud in public areas? Why would you think other people would want to hear whatever music you enjoy? Why not wear head phones? I have NEVER understood playing music in the earshot of another human person when out in public (that's what headphones are for!). I didn't understand it when I was young, and I don't understand it now. It seems like a simple way to be considerate.

Am I totally crazy on this? I know playing loud music in public is something like, EVERYONE DOES. I just don't get it. It doesn't seem consider to other people who may not enjoy the same music you enjoy, no matter what genre it is.

TLDR2;

Would I have asked someone who was playing something like... country music, gospel music, pop music, or classic music, to turn it down if they were playing it loud in public? You know what, probably not. But I would've been HIGHLY ANNOYED. I still think its inconsiderate. But yeah, the fact that this music was very explicit lyrics in it, prompted me to ask.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the community pool allowed for music to be played (typically they don't list what kind of music and or if it can or not contain profanity) then he's within his right to do so as annoying as it is to you or anyone.

Same thing happens at beaches. People play loud music all the time and it's multiple people at once. Can't do anything about that.

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
You can't be that old. In the 70s and 80s, the very loud and very public Boombox was the standard for portable music.

Chicago_Pride_Parade_1985_033.jpg

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like there would be policies against playing loud and explicit music at a community pool like that.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I live in Hawaii and am at the beach with my family every other weekend. The mornings are always peaceful but by lunch time there's 2-3 competing Bluetooth speakers blaring away.

At the fucking beach. Drowning out the incredible sound of crashing waves in the background.

People are assholes. And recently I've noticed fewer people carry headphones on them. This extends to people watching shows and movies on their phones at max volume in public places. WTF.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Public pool? As in own by the city? The lifeguards and staffs are not doing their job.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Insecure angry people have a great deal of emotional investment in making sure others know what their interests are.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
People are assholes man. That's about all there is to it. Just your average inconsiderate nonsense.

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
So he turned it down anyway a few minutes later, but you're mad because he got you with the hilarious move of blasting it again on a curse word.

This is a non issue

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I live in Hawaii and am at the beach with my family every other weekend. The mornings are always peaceful but by lunch time there's 2-3 competing Bluetooth speakers blaring away.

At the fucking beach. Drowning out the incredible sound of crashing waves in the background.

People are assholes. And recently I've noticed fewer people carry headphones on them. This extends to people watching shows and movies on their phones at max volume in public places. WTF.

Yeah I've noticed it too. And everyone with a speaker is annoyed that someone else has a speaker.

Sorry OP. When that happens I only hope that people like that experience karma down the line.

Oct 27, 2017
I hate this more then anything at resturants. As a parent, if I have a night out, nothing drives me more crazy then youtube videos played loud enough for me to hear at another table. You want your kid playing on their phone or tablet at the table, whatever, but shut off the fucking volume.

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
I used to want to play my hip hop loud for people to hear on the occasion. I was in my fuck the world stage of my life and hip hop was resonating with that feeling. Still, I was timid, I usually turned it down the moment I saw a family or young kid around.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
We went out to eat at Outback. We were sat next to some Nascar fans. Dude pulled out a tablet, and started blaring music from it. Dudes wife was very aggressive when placing her order, the waitress had a hard time hearing her over the music. I was expecting her boss to come out and tell them to act like people, but it never happened. Broad sent her food back like 4 times, the last time they held on to it for like 10 minutes, I joked that they had to make sure the whole staff had the chance to spit on her food. As we were leaving I heard the, clearly drunk, man asking for the price of his meal reduced because they were 'regulars.'

I have a hard time sharing music, no way could I do anything like that.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really play music in public.

Not sure why it's so common for people to panic when a curse word is said around a kid, though.

edit: not to say I don't know how to watch my language. I do. But in the case of someone out of my control playing some songs with curse words in them, I don't see the big deal.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
He's a fucking asshole, and I say this regardless of the foul language. No one wants to listen to your music, buy some damn headphones/earbuds.

Also the lifeguards failed at their job.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017

Not sure why it's so common for people to panic when a curse word is said around a kid, though.

Because they repeat what they hear and shouldn't be saying those words, especially if they repeat them at school or daycare. Also some of the words in the OP were also disrespectful and kids shouldn't have to hear that.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't really get playing music in public. First off the sound quality is usually always horrid and secondly you can't be that oblivious to the fact that you're bothering other people.

Headphones are so much nicer. You don't hear the world and the world doesn't hear you.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Because they repeat what they hear and shouldn't be saying those words, especially if they repeat them at school or daycare. Also some of the words in the OP were also disrespectful and kids shouldn't have to hear that.

I don't disagree. But at some point a kid is going to be around other kids and there's no real way to stop it. But you can teach them afterwards. My niece learned a curse word at I think 2 or 3, her parents taught her about it, and she's never said it since to my knowledge (will be 6 this year).

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I don't disagree. But at some point a kid is going to be around other kids and there's no real way to stop it. But you can teach them afterwards. My niece learned a curse word at I think 2 or 3, her parents taught her about it, and she's never said it since to my knowledge (will be 6 this year).

My daughter said "shit" bc of a movie when she was 4. I understand the teaching aspect.

I wouldn't want to teach them about that at a family friendly location like a pool where the music sounds offensive. And on top of that you have to teach them to not do what the asshole was doing in general.

OP
OP
TYRANITARR

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
So he turned it down anyway a few minutes later, but you're mad because he got you with the hilarious move of blasting it again on a curse word.

This is a non issue
I'm not mad at all. This was just a little kid, like 17 years old. I teach middle school, a disrespectful teen doesn't phase me. His behavior was completely whatever.

I was just curious why people, in general, think it's okay to play loud music in public. Especially when you're by YOURSELF. I legitimately don't understand.

I'm glad other people are annoyed by it as I am. The life guards didn't do their jobs for sure. But they're also little teenagers and this is their summer job. They don't care enough to actually enforce pool rules, it's whatever.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
You were too polite, OP. I would've told him he's being an asshole, and maybe spoken to the life guards about it to have him removed.

OP
OP
TYRANITARR

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017

edit: not to say I don't know how to watch my language. I do. But in the case of someone out of my control playing some songs with curse words in them, I don't see the big deal.
Ehm sure. I get you. When you have little kids yourself you begin to feel differently. They all go to school, they're going to hear the words. Jeesh they hear it when I'm at the grocery store and people are having conversations in their phones loudly "WHAT THE FUCK? I CANT BELIEVE THAT ASSHOLE."

I would just hope when I go somewhere public and hopefully family friendly, like a community neighborhood pool, I wouldn't have to hear that.

OP
OP
TYRANITARR

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
You were too polite, OP. I would've told him he's being an asshole, and maybe spoken to the life guards about it to have him removed.
Eh maybe. I mean, the life guards were clearly present and could hear the music. They didn't think to enforce the rules or say something to the kid, so I did.

In the end, it's not a.big deal. It's a public place, the kid had a right to be there and play music. Could he been a better human and more considerate? Sure.

I mean the worst case scenario is this kid rufuses, gets mad at the life guards, and the police or security get called out. All for what?

OP
OP
TYRANITARR

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Way to leave this detail out of the OP lol
He looked and sounded like this. For real. Wearing the chain and all.

So yeah, pretty harmless. Sorry if I made it sound like I was really concerned in the OP. This thread was supposed to be about loud music, not a goofy little kid listening to hip hop music while smoking a vape pen.

latest

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I think the deal with that whole speaker thing is that, in general, many people just do things and don't give a fuck about how it affects people. They just do what they want to if they like doing it. Not to oversimplify it but that's what it is.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Eh maybe. I mean, the life guards were clearly present and could hear the music. They didn't think to enforce the rules or say something to the kid, so I did.

In the end, it's not a.big deal. It's a public place, the kid had a right to be there and play music. Could he been a better human and more considerate? Sure.

I mean the worst case scenario is this kid rufuses, gets mad at the life guards, and the police or security get called out. All for what?
For some decency when young children are around. Honestly, it's rude, inconsiderate, and asshole-ish.

OP
OP
TYRANITARR

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I think the deal with that whole speaker thing is that, in general, many people just do things and don't give a fuck about how it affects people. They just do what they want to if they like doing it. Not to oversimplify it but that's what it is.
Yeah that's exactly what I assumed, but didn't know if there was something about "music culture" that I don't understand.

I feel the same about people walking in public and holding the phones SPEAKER PHONE up to their ear. Wtf? Is the ear piece broken? Why would you think anyone wanted to listen in on the personal conversation you were having?

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I don't understand it.

I love music but have no desire to play my shit loudly to others who may have zero interest in hearing it. I think those people are assholes.

I've also seen people just playing music on their phone as they walk around and it is absurd to me. Don't have any headphones? Don't play music, fucko. It's always awful stuff, too.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I was at the grocery store the other day and a 65ish-year-old man behind me in line was blasting Hamilton at full volume from his phone. It was weird.

OP
OP
TYRANITARR

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I would told you to fuck off to lol
You think you could possibly find it deep inside yourself articulate a reason why?

Like why would you tell someone to "fuck off" when asking you turn down your music in a public place? Like, I would LOVE to hear a coherent thought as to why you would feel entitled to your personal preference of music in an outdoor setting with other people of your community present, without regards to their musical preference?

You think you could do that?