Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm pretty far into the NNK 4K Remaster and this game is a straight A, and I'm pretty picky with JRPGs these days as I've just played so many. Honestly, I'm not even sure where to start praising this game. It looks sublime, it has a fantastic sense of adventure, the dungeons are good - not too long, not too short - and the challenge is actually quite good too. I like the combat, although I don't love it. It's probably the weakest part of the game, without being bad or anything. DQ11's was a big fucking snoozer. NNK is better paced (!!!), has better music, a better story, better characters, a more addictive gameplay loop, it's better at everything really, it's not even a contest. Just get the remaster and play this game if you're in the mood for a traditional JRPG and ignore everyone suggesting DQ11. It's one of the best I've played in years really and I feel like its fans aren't vocal enough about how good it is (else I would have not waited so long). It's crazy that blatant mediocrity like DQ11 receives more attention.

It's also a better Pokemon game than the last one I played (Pokemon X in 2013 or 2014). 🤷

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
No argument from me. NNK1 is a mastahpiece while DQ11 is... good but nothing really inspiring.

Not to even mention the music which blows DQ out of the water with no effort.

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
The game looks good and music sounds nice. The rest is as generic as you can get and voice work pretty much stops halfway through.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You can praise and hype the game up without slamming DQXI, you know that, right?

But also no lol. Ni No Kuni is a snore fest of monstrous proportions.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I completely disagree and I liked NNK

TheHoneyDuke

Banned
Apr 7, 2020
No need to trash dragon quest. Both were great games and Ni No Kuni can stand on its on merit. Maybe dq11 just wasn't for you

OP
OP

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're both amazing. But both longer than they should be
I'm 40h into Ni No Kuni while almost 100%ing it so far (all quests and bounties, 89 out of 100 treasures on the map) and approaching the purple swamp. I could be wrong but it feels like I'm nearing the end. I think I was 70h into DQ11 and still 10h away from the ending. That game just wouldn't end.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's great. But it doesn't come close to the masterpiece that DQ11 is.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Music isnt shite, nor is it made by a war crime denier who laughs at the suicide rate of the LGBTQ+ community and donates a large sum of money to repress and harm them further.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I've beaten both 100% and I consider DQ11 a 10/10 and NNK like a 7/10. Can't exactly remember my issues but I remember having major gripes with the combat that really showed themselves later on and especially on the final boss.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Ni No Kuni is painfully mediocre in every way lmao

It doesn't have shit on DQ

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
I LOVED the first Ni No Kuni. Still have yet to finish DQXI but I've enjoyed the bit I've played. I prefer the story and combat of NNK if I was comparing the two BUT DQXI looks so much better.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly can't tell you which game bored me more, DQXI or Ni no Kuni. It's the Sophie's Choice of boring games.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I replayed NNKII just before FFVIIR and even that one I believe is better than DQXI for me, I might replay DQXI tho, it was either that or NNKII but when I remembered the horrible soundtrack of DQXI I decided for NNKII but I expect to replay it in the future to check my feelings.

NNKI I played it once on release, pretty cool game but I was a bit disappointed at the time.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Both NNK and NNK2 are really good. Better than DQ11 though? Nah. Maybe if you really care about the music.

Aeroucn

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely love NNK, too bad Level-5 has shit the bed in every possible way after releasing that game

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I also liked NNK a good deal more than DQ11. DQ11 is mind-numbingly boring and dull in how old-fashioned it is. I appreciated that with DQ7 and DQ8 but I'm kinda over its nostalgic gimmick now. Although to be fair I didn't play DQ11 for more than a handful of hours but I had had enough. I was coming straight off from Persona 5 which didn't help in showing how dated everything about it is hah.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Nah NNK looks good and that's about it. The battle system is horrendous.

One of the instances where I think fan backlash led to a worse sequel. The battle system wasn't so horrendous it needed to be completely revamped. The monster collecting and using them in battle was a ton of fun but the Evade/Defense/Dodge system just needed some tweaking to make it less twitchy.

Once I got going and started to better understand a lot of the unexplained or easily miss-able mechanics I actually really enjoyed the battles. The system in 2 was far worse IMO. Just everything about 2 was lol.

adit

Oct 29, 2017
tonja
DQ XI is masterpiece for me, meanhwhile i don't bother to continue to play NNK after few hours

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm all for dragging down DQXI to "very okay" status where it belongs but not while bigging up the steaming turd that is NNK1.

sinny

Oct 28, 2017
DQXI must be one of the best rpgs of the last 20 years, NNK is average at best and i loved the game.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I like Ni No Kuni, but the battle system was awful and made progressing a chore. Also the White Witch part was tacked on and very badly put together.

DQXI was a masterpiece all around, so there's no comparison.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Ill like to hear why you think the battle system is "better". Everything else is I can agree is a wash

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When people put 2 great games against each other generally the thing I'm rooting against is you for doing that.

NNK and dq 11 are very good games with different strengths and weaknesses

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't beat either (I think I got about 30-40 hours into each) but enjoyed both. I'll have to try and go back to both some day.

As much as I loved DQ11, the story was just...awful. It couldn't keep my interest at all.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I love Studio Ghibli (obviously), and the game is beautiful, but NNK just didn't do anything for me in the gameplay department, and I gave up on it just a few hours in. It's one I've wanted to go back to though, since time has this way of making me more open to things that didn't click with me originally, so we'll see.

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
Different strokes for different folks. I won't knock Ni No Kuni, but I couldn't get into that game no matter how hard I tried. DQXI (music aside) is the best JRPG of the generation for me.

Level-5 always comes off as technical wizards to me but lacking in the game design and systems department.

Enjoy what you enjoy.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Not with that god awful battle system it aint

Ninokuni is one of those games that I love so much about but I cannot play for longer than 20 min as the battle system is so boring

Oct 25, 2017
Still didn't play DQXI, but I'm under the impression that the combat system is really good, from what people say, isn't it? At the highest difficulty with even the modifiers on, people still say it's a fun challenge and it requires no grinding, that's pretty cool.

I do love Ni no Kuni, though, and the boss battles are the best part of the game, so just the fact that they're being compared makes me excited to play it.

Still need to get through Ni no Kuni 2, and I'm also hyped for it, as I doubt it's as bad as people say. I've only played the first one in 2018 and kept reading people talk shit about it for years, but then I played it and loved it.