ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
There was clearly confusion on who was going to pay who for FF13 to show up on GamePass. MS is clearly waiting for Square to pony up the money before they subject their userbase to such treatment.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
If it follows the pattern they've had with other FF on Game Pass, VII will fall off the service in August after having been on there for a year, and be replaced with a new one, which at this point would have to be XIII, unless they're going to cycle XV back in a second time or something.

Oct 28, 2017
Australia
I can't believe that no-one else in this thread seems to remember that all these games were given a truly deluxe BC upscaling treatment about 12 months ago.

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
Are the FF13 games REALLY that bad? I never played them

The biggest complaint I hear is that it's like a long linear corridor/hallway. But tbh so was FFX and I enjoyed that game

If it's so bad, what exactly is bad about it?

They have the best combat system in the series, although I'm not sure how many people would agree with that assessment. Everything else is even more YMMV, but if they do come to Game Pass and you have access to it, give them a spin. I liked them a lot better than I expected to.

But if you do check it out, be warned: the first game has almost lethal doses of characters shouting nonsense words with no in-game explanation. I had read enough about the game's story to know that it was basically
an SMT game
, which is what made me interested enough to play it in the first place, but I don't know how much I would have picked up just from what's in the game. Honestly, that's probably the least YMMV thing about these games: the plotting is a mess, especially in the first one.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington

The biggest complaint I hear is that it's like a long linear corridor/hallway. But tbh so was FFX and I enjoyed that game

The "hallway simulator" criticism is my biggest issue with FFXIII and was also my biggest problem with FFX. That said, FFXIII has other issues like its absolute nonsense story, the way that game doesn't introduce any side quests or meaningful exploration at all until 30+ hours in, the horrible level system that's gated by story progress, and that the game is absurdly restrictive with its mechanics for at least a dozen hours (not even being able to customize your active party of characters or pick who you want to play as).

I know the gameplay design and structure is built to accommodate the momentum and pacing of the story very strictly, which I don't really mind provided the story this is all in service to is good enough, but it's not. It's not even close.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
You have to have the 4K GOATs at home, that's why.

ri4C8tV.jpg

Last edited:

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
I keep meaning to go back and platinum Lightning Returns on PS3, and I know that as soon as I do, they'll announce a XIII-trilogy remaster. I wouldn't mind playing XIII again with some presumed QoL updates. XIII-2 is a banger, so I'd love to go through that a second time. Lightning Returns is a muddy, sluggish mess on PS3, so that at 4K/60 would be a dream.

Not the biggest fan of them, other than XIII-2, but it's bizarre how they've just languished on now two-generation old consoles and some middling PC ports.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
You'd think that in a thread about FFXIII coming to GamePass of all places, people would be aware that FFXIII is already available on XB1/XBS. All these "the games are stuck on old hardware" posts are weird.

Gans

Oct 27, 2017
They should just remake the whole trilogy and make the dog from Lightning Returns Lightning's mount.

Em542DcVcAEYlkO.jpg:large

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
In the UK you can pick up used physical copies of XIII and XIII-2 for ÂŁ3 each.

Lightning returns is weirdly more expensive at ~ÂŁ10. Guess maybe fewer physical copies were made.

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
Disgusting thread you should all be ashamed of your words and deeds, XIII actually had art direction, XV can't say that for itself. Bring the queen back, she must not be forgotten!

WarReadyVet

Jun 15, 2020
I'm the only fan of that trilogy. Phil called and asked if they should bring it to Gamepass. I already have the physical copies, so I said "why fucking bother?" Then he cackled and said Serah sucks. He's right. We spent the rest of the time discussing how awesome it is to own a Jeep Wrangler. Weirdest phone call I ever received.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I love the trilogy too, XIII's combat is some of the best in the series once it opens up, XIII-2 is fun finding all the routes, and LR is a decent enough change from the other two.

Turtleboats

Nov 13, 2017
great game, albeit linear. i liked the story and the characters were well done. it was my first ff. I personally enjoyed it more than 15 in terms of characters. as far as combat is concerned, 15 was better for sure (But very different.)

it's not going to change anyones must play rpg lists, but its definitely a good time if you know what your going in for.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017

FFXIII gameplay is fine. People made fun of just press X to win, and certainly you could do it for most of the fights, but for harder fights you need to be swapping roles and choosing your spells. Story is a big mess, and the party isn't endearing. At most only characters that people seem to like are Sazh and Fang. Soundtrack is awesome.

FFXIII-2 is the best game in the entire trilogy. Only two party members which are way better than the entire XIII cast. It is shorter and the story is more bearable, but it isn't extraordinary. It also involves time travelling. You can also capture monsters to have them help you in combat. Soundtrack is also good, and gave us Crazy Chocobo track.

Lightning Returns gives you Lightning as the only playable character, so if you didn't like her in the original FFXIII, most likely you won't like this game. Gameplay is completely different from the previous games. There is a time limit, something like Majora's Mask, and you can play dress-up Lightning. Personally this is the only one I didn't like of the entire trilogy; couldn't even play it more than two hours. It has the best PC port though.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020

It's really that bad. It streamlines out NPCs, sidequests, player choice and exploration. It doesn't leave behind much of a game. There's lots of good stuff about it too but it's fundamentally boring. It needs an expanded remaster to fix those problems. It has the potential to be an incredible game, but at the moment it's just shit.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017

Corridor are not the best (as in FFX), it's really too much linear, I say more than FFX.
Characters are really, really bad, maybe the worst team of all FF games... I mean we have some bad characters around FF games, but FFXIII are the least interesting stories and characters in the whole series for me (lighting is the only one that had a little of appeal to me, and Fang has at least one of my favourite design ever... but also i wished her character to be more interesting in the end).
Gameplay is good, the problem is that to be able to use it at its best, you have to wait the last part of the game. Until then its pretty limited and boring.
The story too is nothing particularly interesting, I can't say even 1 part of the story that feels actually engaging.

Yes, is a bad game, not only a bad FF... :(
(sequels I just played FFXIII-2 and didnt liked it, but i dont remember much, just that i didnt liked the two main characters mainly, and the story.)

Spiderz

Oct 25, 2017
I spent the last 7 or so years playing all the main final fantasy games and finally got around to the XIII trilogy during quarantine and friends…it rules.

Bless the folks with remasters, Square.

Switters

Oct 28, 2017
XIII Burned down my house. XIII-2 Killed my mom.

Play XII again and remember what it feels like to be alive.

Vorg

Dec 13, 2019
X is literally a corridor for the entire game, but still regarded as good by most people.
Yeah X is even worse. Not a fan either, but characters in x don't spend all of their time shouting nonsensical expressions and made up words, or in the case of lightning, being angry at everyone.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I just copped the trilogy physically

ÂŁ12 total and I don't need to feel rushed to finish the games quickly before they leave GP

Aniki

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Hope we don't have to wait too long. Really want to replay 13. I love that battle system. Also never really gave 13-2 a real chance. Just played it for a little while before deciding to drop it. But i'm most looking forward to Lightning Returns because i have never played it.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017