Garou

Oct 25, 2017
The number of companies that try to make gamers "more engaged" with their games so they keep playing and hopefully invest in DLC/Microtransactions/Expansions is rising. The way most apporach it now is "Login/Daily/Weekly Bonuses", just fire the game up and press a button or do a simple mission for some nice items/coins/whatever.

But if you try to avoid acutally paying for ingame-stuff, keeping up with those Daily Bonuses is crucial, but becomes a real chore if you keep several games at your fingertips.

Currently I try to keep up with:
  • Monster Hunter World - Daily tickets and weekly limited missions, not so important, but during events you don't want to miss out
  • Street Fighter V - Weekly, don't want to miss out on Extra Battles and their costumes, as well as the missions for Fight Money.
  • Pro Evolution Soccer 2019 - The MyClub had a daily login-promotion until recently, and there is always the Bonus for the first win of the day, this is usually rather time-consuming
  • Fire Emblem Heroes - Just a login gives enough, but theres still daily quests in Arena and Arena Assault and often tap Battle, takes a couple of minutes to get through, usually Auto-Battle
  • Dragalia Lost - The game that made me make this thread, there is too much Daily stuff. There are 15 daily bonuses in Event quests, and that is before you even play a single round of the currently ongoing limited Event.
  • Hearthstone - I have semi-dropped this game for now, but I still do the 5 wins per month for the cardback

I understand that I could just drop some of these, but I remember the time when I could approach a game at my own pace, without suffering any penalties for it. I can't be the only one, right?

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I just don't do them. My wife and I did dailies back in Guild Wars 2, but that's when we realized we weren't doing it for fun, but just out of a routine.

I'll just play your game at my leisure, thank you very much. The in game content just doesn't mean enough to me to justify it.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
They're usually used in games to encourage players who don't buy microtransactions to have an alternate method of earning in-game cash faster.

I don't really like them, but they have their place, I guess.

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
They really sucked me in when I was into Warframe, but now I resist my urge to do them just because it's more habit than fun.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a mechanic coming straight from japanese mobile games. You're supposed to be frustrated by this, and to keep logging everyday in order to not feel like you're missing something. That's how they keep you engaged.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hate these with a passion. Being 'forced' to log in every day for an arbitrary bonus usually just burns me out on a game faster. I just try to ignore them.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
For mobile games i'll hop on in the morning and collect my stuff. Don't bother doing so with console fare since it takes extra effort.

Meicyn

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Chasing rewards in online games was what led to burnout. Login and play games because you want to, not because you "have to".

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It's a mechanic coming straight from japanese mobile games. You're supposed to be frustrated by this, and to keep logging everyday in order to not feel like you're missing something. That's how they keep you engaged.
I do not know, I remember doing daily missions in WoW long before there were even smartphones.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of those design trends that ultimately dissuades me from wanting to keep playing, because in the end it changes the whole dynamic and makes it feel like I'm launching the game out of an obligation rather than wanting to unwind and have some fun.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I do the dailies in Fire Emblem Heroes and Pokémon Go. I don't really mind since the apps start up so fast and it only takes a few minutes.

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017
Happy to say I've never played a game that does this and didn't even know this was a thing in videogames until this very moment.

SuperSunBro

Dec 29, 2017
Maybe play less games? Playing so many means you probably are not very invested in all of them, and its time to see if you are actually enjoying the game, or it has become a "sunk cost" habit.

I play 2: FF Mobius and FE heroes, and i also think daily logins are a chore, even if they take 2 mins.

The game play and content for gacha games is admittedly shallow, so the only remaining activity is to stock up on resources for rolls/pulls, which is where a lot of the thrill comes from, or if you want to stock up for particular content.

I would prefer if I could collect resources just once a week, and all the activity is back logged rather than expires.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The only game like this that I actively play is Dragalia Lost. I log in in the morning, do some quick quests and the rest throughout the day whenever and if I feel like it.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
About the Monster Hunter World daily log-ins, you know that they'll store up your tickets for your even if you don't log in everyday right? Up to 5 max.

Nesther

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
It's bearable when it's on mobile, because these apps are up and running within seconds.

On console though? Ugh, starts to annoy me. Especially Let it Die, felt like it took minutes just to pick up my daily. Eventually that pushed me away from the game.

kaftan

Oct 27, 2017
I find them to bo extremely exploitative. I can say it for myself that it somehow tricked my lizard brain into logging into some games that I had virtually no desire to. I believe there should be some public research into these predatory psychological tactics and proper regulation, especially when dealing with F2P or any model with microtransactions involved. I just avoid any games with these mechanics due to issues I had with them, that I mentioned before, but I'm sure there's plenty people spending more time than they wished to, building investment and spending money to some form of sunk cost fallacy type of thing. And they ought to be outright banned from games that children can play.

Last edited:

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I used to love daylies, because they gave me a reason to log on on a daily basis. But now nearly every game has them and shits getting annoying. So far that I start to hate games that rub that stuff into someones face. Yeah Destiny I'm looking at you.

Mzo

Nov 30, 2017
I ignore them completely. I play how I want and when I want, often going for a week or more of just old games on my CRT.

If it becomes a requirement I would drop the game, but it's usually just a neat bonus for something I already play like MHW.

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
The only one I try and keep up with is Elder Scrolls Online, they've had some pretty tasty 30/31 day monthly consecutive log in bonuses

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
MHW events take like 10mins for the most part, sometimes over 2-3days, so I wouldn't really put it in the same category. The daily tickets are mostly irrelevant and the weekly bounties can generally be done quickly(and they're weekly) and they only let give you a gem of your choice, which you could just farm the normal way if you wanted so they don't provide anything unique. So overall I haven't really cared about logging in for stuff or what not, other than when there's a new event and since those are done in generally 2 fights against low rank/non tempered stuff they go fast. The arch tempered events are a bit longer, but since I'm on PC I didn't play these yet.

As for the mechanic in general, I tend to dislike it, even though I'll usually be easily able to log in and play everyday when I'm playing a game. It just feels bad when you do stop playing, then start playing again and you're so far behind or it feels like it. It doesn't help that most games with the mechanic are also F2P games with slow progression(unless burning money).

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I only do the Extra Battles in SFV that I want to seeing as they cost Fight Money that's already been made more difficult to earn as of AE, that includes the costumes (I didn't want the one for this month, so I'm not spending the FM to play and collect the pieces). Will likely only do the ones for MHW that interest me as well once I have that.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
None, I play the games, don't work for them. Its OK to miss on things, events, etc. if you don't obsess with it you will be happier, just play when you feel like playing.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
The only one's I try to do are Elder Scrolls Online, because there is some pretty cool stuff in it actually. I also set Microsoft Rewards as my start page, will usually go through the Bing searches quickly. It basically gives me Xbox Live and Game Pass for free, so I think it's worth it. I do agree this has kinda gone over the top though.

Vankash

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
These things stress me out.
I can't log in everyday so if i miss out one day i loose the streak that most of these System implement.

I stop playing these games. (like BDO or MHW)

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
You shouldn't ever make it a routine in your life. I don't know how people get satisfaction from it.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I just stop logging in. Even games I've gotten deep into, like Marvel Heroes or Warframe, aren't enough to draw me back in for daily bonuses alone.

The very concept of daily login bonuses is kinda gross, actually. It's so manipulative that I kinda resent companies for employing it to begin with.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Well, this one time I managed to log in to Smite each day for a whole week for the reward.

That was the one and only time. In every other instance I ignore them or think about logging in for them but then completely forget within 24 hours.

I am basically a GaaS developer's worst nightmare.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only did dailies in WoW, but even there I took breaks.

Elsewhere? Yeah, no. I'm not going to even touch mobile dailes, fuck that noise.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think they can be okay for games with major online components, but these games need better ways of claiming them than having to boot up the actual game.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it starts turning fun things into obligation once in a while. Installed Dx2 for a month or two but when i started feeling slightly bad for losing good things on the daily progression, i said "you know what screw this noise" and uninstalled it

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They put me off a game enough that I just don't log in at all anymore. If it's a game where they can be ignored completely I just don't do them, but if they are intertwined into the gameplay, like WoW, I'll flat out stop playing.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
What I hate even more, is that Destiny 2 has 24-hour and 7 days deadlines for bounties that are bought with ingame currency. That's just inexcusable for me, especially when it comes to the hard-to-earn Eververse currency. I preferred the way it was in the original, where I could collect the maximum amount of bounties I liked to do, and complete them at my own pace.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just ignore all of it as much as i can.

The very concept of daily login bonuses is kinda gross, actually. It's so manipulative that I kinda resent companies for employing it to begin with

All of this. It's one of the reasons i despise the GaaS approach. It's essentially corporations trying to turn you into a loyal, busy little drone.

Got Danny

Nov 8, 2017
I don't get complaining about free currency for playing a game you like.

It's not a penalty, it's a reward for the users that put in the extra effort.

Fer

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Hearthstone - Quests and 5 wins per month
Starcraft II - I do the battlechest xp on weekends.

That's all I do and I can barely cope.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I have honestly stopped giving a shit about them in SFV, I have enough FM anyway.