• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Nostalgia has always been a driving force behind marketing, but sometime in the 2010s, it felt like this got pushed into overdrive, with whole films being nothing more than reclusive bubbles just regurgitating and repackaging what we had seen before.

Star Wars is probably the main culprit to this. You all remember The Force Awakens trailer right? Star Wars was in a very different place back in 2014, with the last mainline film ending on this scene of Darth Vader. (It's not the exact end scene, but it's what most people remember)

Darth-Vader-No-Gif.gif

Revenge of the Sith was from 2005, so 9 years later we get this trailer one day.

And people lost their minds, pretty much everyone was hyped for the big-screen revival of star wars. And just about everyone showed up to watch The Force Awakens, becoming the fourth highest-grossing film of all time.

And Nostalgia has been baked into the Star Wars even since, with the Sequel Trilogy, Spin-Off films like Rogue One and Solo, as well as TV Series like The Mandalorian heavily dabbling in it. Sometimes at the cost of original storytelling as well (Especially with Mandalorian Season 2 in this regard). It's starting to go full circle once more, with series like Kenobi and Ahsoka aiming to get the nostalgia money that grew up with the Clone Wars era of films. Expect in another 8 or so years for the cycle to repeat with the First Order films too.

Disney in general seems to be going pretty hard on nostalgia for selling stuff. Much has been said about the Disney Vault in the past. But recently we've got live-action remakes of many of their old films. They briefly dabbled in this in the late 90s and early 2000s with the live-action remakes of 101 dalmatians (and its less remembered sequel, 102 dalmatians). As well as the much disliked Direct to Video sequels. But the big money started coming in the 2010s with Tim Burtons Alice in Wonderland kicking things, and the remakes kept coming with films like The Jungle Book, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and The Lion King.

5c739924eb3ce8458f242383

Many of these films are almost direct remakes of their animated counterparts, the same story beats, same song numbers, pretty much almost everything from the original, and the reception for pretty much all of them (Except for Cinderalla and MAYBE Jungle Book) is generally seen as negative, with many listed as losing the charm the original animated versions have. Even the films that diverge from their source material like the Villain Films such as Maleficent and Cruella, many note that the forced callbacks to the original films as the weakest parts of those films. But they make money, lots and lots of money. 2019s Lion King is the 7th highest-grossing movie of all time. And more Live-Action remakes are coming with The Little Mermaid currently slated as the next one coming out.

It's not just Disney though that are guilty of this. Warner Bros. has been getting their hands in the field as well. Whilst Ready Player One plotline revolves around a lot of nostalgia based on the plot. Warner Bros. was quick to slice in some of their properties like The Iron Giant into the film. Scoob seemed to jump the gun and try to set up an entirely Hanna Barbara Universe instead of telling its own unique Scooby-Doo story, and then there is Space Jam: A New Legacy, which felt more like a commercial for HBO Max and all the properties Warner Bros. own than a movie (Which... is at least rather fitting for Space Jam at least.)

There are some cases where a film can use Nostalgia for the advantage of its storytelling. The Creed Films, for example, come to mind, focusing on the idea of living up to your legacy. But for many a film, it honestly feels more of a case of just getting a quick rise out of the audience because that was a thing in the old film. Remember when Benedict Cumberbatch announces to everyone that he was Khan?

tumblr_inline_oqbt39o1wb1rrje9w_500.gifv

Or when the Indoraptor did the old Tapping Toe thing in Jurassic World?

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f6672544734506d7333716e5132413d3d2d3630313730393635322e313534303736363965353063646261613639363438303734353432342e676966

They don't mean much if anything for the characters in the film, and for the audience, it's mainly just reminding them there is an older better film they can be watching instead (Or just "Oh they did that old thing I liked!" which is what some executive is saying).

We are at the point now where films are running their advertisement campaigns on nostalgia. With the upcoming Ghostbusters Afterlife leaving long lingering shots on props from the old film like a Protonpack and the ECTO-1, or in Spiderman No Way Home the return of baddies from old films like Spider-Man 2's Dr. Octopus.

But I think the most egregious of these is the teaser trailer released for The Flash recently.

So it's hard to get too much hope up for the new Flash film (because of Erza Miller being the lead) but this is the first Solo Film for The Flash, so if you are a fan of The Flash, that's something to get excited about, right?

Instead, the teaser seems to be trying to get us hyped up about the return of what appears to be Michael Keaton's Batman instead. With a final shot teasing what appears to be the old Batmobile?

So, to clarify. The Movie about THE FLASH is going to make us want to watch a film about THE FLASH by... teasing us that it's going to have an old Batman in it? Are we really at this point now? I'm just done with it all at this point.

It's a problem that exists in other media as well like Video Games, but it feels most dominant in films at the moment. So Hollywood, Give me some newer fresh stuff to watch instead please. When I try to think of new IPs of the 2010s, the few things that come to mind are John Wick, The Conjuring Movies... erm... Frozen? the How to Train Your Dragon movies? There's not a lot honestly. Yet if I were to count reboots and reimaginings of old stuff I'll probably be here until 2022 listing them all. Nostalgia is nice to have in small doses. But when it is all your getting you honestly feel like the Ouroborus Snake eating its own tail with how you've seen all this already. And how long will it be until we see the remake of the remake of the old thing we liked. That's going to happen someday soon...

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
The bigger problem is people keep rewarding this with big dump trucks full of money. Audiences need to stop going in order for studios to stop making these things.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I used to feel the same way but my life got a lot happier when I decided to embrace it. They're not changing any time soon and I liked stuff back in the day for a reason. So why not embrace it? Life is too short, might as well have some fun

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I think it has more to do with them just not having any new ideas, and still need something in the meantime to make money while they're trying to come up with something new.

Smokeymicpot

Oct 25, 2017
It sells. People have kids like showing their kids what they grew up with. Help it has shiny new cgi too.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
I do not know a time where this has not been the case for pop culture in general. Like for Star Wars alone you can look at the 90s and the re-releases of the original trilogy and all the fanfare around that.

OP
OP
KillstealWolf

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I used to feel the same way but my life got a lot happier when I decided to embrace it. They're not changing any time soon and I liked stuff back in the day for a reason. So why not embrace it? Life is too short, might as well have some fun

Problem with embracing it is that I can always just watch the old version instead, I'll get more of a kick out of it and it's probably the better of the two anyway.

Say I wanted to check out The Lion King, am I going to watch this version?

Or this Version?

Spoilers, I'll watch the 1993 one.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like being reminded of days when shit sucked less.

But yeah it's a bit much

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
I feel like theres enough movies coming out that doesnt do this, to be able to ignore the ones that do.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Feels like it's nostalgia cause we're old. In 20 years when Thanos comes back, adults then will complain it's not the Thanos they knew from the MCU.

Can you not ignore these nostalgia grabs?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
<_< hate to tell you this... But Hollywood has been doing this for decades... The only thing that's changed is you've gotten older and now you're the target of their nostalgia pandering instead of your parents.

(See the 90's Brady Bunch, Addam's Family, Lost in Space, Special Edition OT Star Wars, etc)

Superbagman

Nov 3, 2017
Honestly it's been something Hollywood has ALWAYS done. There's a reason the 90s was inundated with movies based on 50s and 60s television shows. If you think it's a new problem you weren't paying attention.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sick of 80s/90s nostalgia being mined. Like uhh this has no effect on me I saw all these movies 8 years ago I'm not gonna tear up when I see the ECTO-1. Mine some of that 2000s nostalgia I'm tryna see movies based on the Saturday Morning Jetix line-up

Kcoe27400

Mar 14, 2018
Halloween kills brought back all these "characters" from the first movie. Like who the fuck cares about any of these people but the film is filled with references and people that the film treats like they are iconic.

Cobra Kai is bringing back forgettable characters from the forgettable karate kid movies and treating them with reverence and glowing nostalgia. Its even worse when they reference specific scenes and probs. Like who fucking cares about any of this. Both of these shows have already mined the meaningful nostalgia so they are desperately stripping the corpse of the sequels for every little reference to pretend like the franchise has any depth to it.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
It's not just Hollywood, it's capitalism. It's "hey, remember this from when you were young? Now you have disposable income, so buy it!"

They're targeting you and your generation (me and my generation) because you now have the money to buy the things you wanted but couldn't as a kid, or shinier versions of the things you did have and remember fondly. They commercialize nostalgia because the world sucks and we'd all rather remember happier times... and if you spend your money on it, all the better, right?

Brickhunt

Feb 4, 2018
Brazil
Honestly. You are tired. Many people are not. The people who grew up with this IPs are older and have income of their own to spend. In fact, many times I see on twitter and message boards people asking for a reboot, sequel or special for a childhood show. The demand for nostalgia is here and companies would be dumb to not chase it.

Eventually, the IPs of this generation of kids and teens will also have their nostalgia mining moment too and the IPs whe grew up with will fade into definitive obscurity, save for the few outstanding one who managed to remain relevant. You may have to learn how to ignore it or just wait for it to fade away as it has happened with every single generation that had been nostalgia mined by Hollywood before they moved on to the next.

Besides, as it is with mostly everything, most efforts will be trash or mediocre, but some good stuff will come out too benefiting from having a fresh new perspective from the fans who grew up watching. Transformers and TMNT are some of my favorite examples of childhood IPs who constantly reinvent themselves and remains relevant. Some times it's good, sometimes it's bad. It's just is what it is.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
i'll never really been able to relate to people getting too worked up over this type of stuff.

and some of these things have call backs and past references as part of their DNA, so I have to wonder why you're watching it in the first place. Like I don't understand how people watch Star Wars, for example, and get mad when they see it.

<_< hate to tell you this... But Hollywood has been doing this for decades... The only thing that's changed is you've gotten older and now you're the target of their nostalgia pandering instead of your parents.

(See the 90's Brady Bunch, Addam's Family, Lost in Space, Special Edition OT Star Wars, etc)

yup yup

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Yup. In the '90s and '00s studios mined the hell out of '60s and '70s television. They'd adapt whatever sitcom, sci-fi, or secret agent show that could secure the rights to.

Add stuff like Charlie's Angels, McHale's Navy, and The Saint to that list.

porcupixel

Oct 26, 2017

While it's true that re-imaginings of old IP have always been a thing, the sheer proportion of how many movies Hollywood makes that are based on an existing IP vs. how many are ostensibly original has definitely shifted toward the former over the last decade, as the mid-tier fell out and the studios became convinced that everything would have to be turned into a franchise that could spin out multiple films and spin-offs.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I think it has more to do with them just not having any new ideas, and still need something in the meantime to make money while they're trying to come up with something new.
They could make a ton of original stuff if they wanted.

I am guessing it's not as profitable and since like 4 corporations make all of the movies now the decisions on what to make and how to make it is really centralized.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care so much, but I think the idea of these being nostalgic works innately transforms them. Star Wars less so since a lot of George Lucas' work was nostalgic genre revivals, but many of them weren't really throwbacks to anything so much as they were things that were cool now, moving forward and creating new icons, and so trying to latch on and promote the iconic movements from before isn't genuine.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Instead, the teaser seems to be trying to get us hyped up about the return of what appears to be Michael Keaton's Batman instead. With a final shot teasing what appears to be the old Batmobile?

So, to clarify. The Movie about THE FLASH is going to make us want to watch a film about THE FLASH by... teasing us that it's going to have an old Batman in it? Are we really at this point now? I'm just done with it all at this point.

This thing where they're bringing back old iterations of characters through the multiverse or whatever definitely feels like a potential "jump the shark" moment for superhero movies.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
They are putting the original ideas on streaming now because they won't have to fear of losing money.

Or support the smaller stuff like Neon, Annapurna or

n2LJkkvIVYwY.gif

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind if the movie is actually good. What pisses me off is when the remake sucks and that's what ppl think of when I say I like x movie

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick"
Jun 17, 2018
I'm not, I got a fantastic Dark Crystal series out of it. Continue to mine old properties because I'll happily ignore the garbage (is Lion King bad? Probably. Have I seen it? Nope.) in favor of the successes.

Lotto

Oct 28, 2017
Earth
there's literally so much content out there that you don't need to do this to yourself.

if it really, truly bothers you then it's probably better to actually seek out those things less familiar to you and less zeitgeist-y/guided by pop culture hollywood nostalgia. there's not going to be a slowdown of either of these options so revel in both!

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Also, some of these are less about mining nostalgia and more about finding something proven to reduce risk. I doubt that superhero movies now are primarily about capturing lapsed comic fans of the specific characters.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Halloween kills brought back all these "characters" from the first movie. Like who the fuck cares about any of these people but the film is filled with references and people that the film treats like they are iconic.

Cobra Kai is bringing back forgettable characters from the forgettable karate kid movies and treating them with reverence and glowing nostalgia. Its even worse when they reference specific scenes and probs. Like who fucking cares about any of this. Both of these shows have already mined the meaningful nostalgia so they are desperately stripping the corpse of the sequels for every little reference to pretend like the franchise has any depth to it.

you're watching a show called Cobra Kai and the 12th Halloween movie

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
They are populist movies to make money. I don't like it either but loads of people do so they'll keep coming. Doesn't bother me. Plenty of great movies and TV released monthly.