• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

Film Therapy has existed on YouTube for a year. Yet today IMDB stole the concept and name and put Kevin Smith in it. The comments on that Tweet are hammering them for this.

Hopefully Kevin Smith will realize what IMDB did and stops doing the show.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This sucks. This type of thing is rampant across the internet though; with outlets like Gamespot taking concepts from other Youtube channels and incorporating them into their shows. Heck, TV shows do it too a lot from other shows.

The one thing that could be different here is that they use the same name.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is Brianne Chandler's YouTube series popular? If not, I can see multiple people coming up with the same joke for movie reviews. And it would be pretty shameless to name it something so similar.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It is probably an idea two separate people could have reached independently, but even if that, a few Google searches would have shown the idea was not unique.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know Brianne Chandler's show, but I did a quick skim through some of her episodes and they don't really seem similar other than the name?

Film Therapy: She has a new guest on every episode and does a sort of interview / asks the guest explain to why movies are important to them
Kevin Smith show: Looks like he gives suggestions on what type of movie to watch

Maybe there are more similarities if I watch more of Film Therapy.

Here's a playlist if you don't want to go searching: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGMc70BBMM4lYAPIZo-3kJRQ8O9mIwKAS

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know Brianne Chandler's show, but I did a quick skim through some of her episodes and they don't really seem similar other than the name?

Film Therapy: She has a new guest on every episode and does a sort of interview / asks the guest explain what movies are important to them.
Kevin Smith show: Looks like he gives suggestions on what type of movie to watch to random people

Maybe there are more similarities if I watch more of Film Therapy.

Here's a playlist if you don't want to go searching: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGMc70BBMM4lYAPIZo-3kJRQ8O9mIwKAS

I was gonna post this same thing. Just checked her out, and yeah, if the video in OP is the actual IMDB show, it seems pretty different in execution. Title is certainly similar enough to send up warning signals, but the actual content is pretty different.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Other than the name, how are these projects similar?

Film Therapy is a YouTube interview show where Chandler talks to a single guest for 30-60 minutes, asking the same set of questions to each one.

Movie Therapy is like a 4 minute segment on the IMDB Show where Smith takes rapid-fire questions from a series of people on the street.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Other than the name, how are these projects similar?

Film Therapy is a YouTube interview show where Chandler talks to a single guest for 30-60 minutes, asking the same set of questions to each.

Movie Therapy is like a 4 minute segment on the IMDB Show where Smith takes rapid-fire questions from a series of people on the street.
Yeah... Are there any similarities beyond the name?

OP
OP
ManaByte

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
lCtN1xt.png

CIXgxEj.png

jC8IGGN.png

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
If what everyone is saying is true, the two seem fairly different outside of the name...

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I quote a bunch of people claiming there's pedophiles in a pizza shop basement, what does that prove?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I'm not trying to start anything. It's ironic that he called out Variety for copying the IMDBoat at SDCC when this video show rips off another one.

And you've yet to explain how it's being ripped off.

You've been asked to stop creating stories based on Twitter drama before, Mana.

Like the time you said Clark Gregg removing "Coulson from Agents of SHIELD" from his Twitter bio was evidence that the show might be cancelled yet it turned out it was never in his bio at all.

It's a bad look. Use sources, post actual news. This Twitter stuff is teenage drama.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
If I quote a bunch of people claiming there's pedophiles in a pizza shop basement, what does that prove?

This.

The internet blindly jumps to people's defense just as it jumps to attack. I'm not so sure any of those Twitter comments are from people that actually looked at both shows beyond the titles, and I would put money on them doubling down if you try to point it out.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
When there's an actual article then we can have this thread, until then let's not.

Status
Not open for further replies.