Not open for further replies.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
9ro7Ck2.jpg
TheKlAm.jpg

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
When somebody says "white people are racists" or "men are sexists", I as a white man understand that they are taking about institutionalised racism and sexism that it's created and supported by white men. At no point I look at this as somebody saying that all white men are like that.

I can understand that generalisations might be hurtful, but in this case it serves us (being in a privileged position) in questioning our own behaviour. A lot of the institutionalised racism and sexism comes also from unquestioned (and sometimes non-intentional) behaviour. So I don't see this as a prejudice as long as one category is privileged.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
It gets harder, not easier, to fix a problem if you're not acutely aware of the lines upon which it was broken.

Oct 25, 2017
This might be true. I do not have the full toolset. But I am sincerely worried that we are about the erase years of progress that can clearly been seen in the statistic if we continue to make everything about race and gender. It will be harder and harder to have normal person to person relations if this continues. Somebody that speaks much better than me about this is John Wood Jr and Ayishat Akanbi in this podcast: https://braverangels.org/empathy-in-black-white-from-the-u-s-to-the-u-k-ayishat-akanbi-john-wood-jr/
You have it backwards. People are being oppressed for their race and gender. We have to acknowledge that. By acknowledging that, we aren't making "everything about race and gender" -- we're responding to the current reality. Pretending that race and gender are irrelevant won't make those issues go away.

Oct 27, 2017
I was taught that Racism involved power over minorities back in the late 80's/early 90's, this is nothing new.

Prejudice is what you're thinking of

FWIW I was taught to not see Color at all. I've since changed my views on that

Wordballoons

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Although, I have to admit - everyone getting outraged by an obvious troll is kind of amusing.

I don't know why this shit still works.

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
This might be true. I do not have the full toolset. But I am sincerely worried that we are about the erase years of progress that can clearly been seen in the statistic if we continue to make everything about race and gender. It will be harder and harder to have normal person to person relations if this continues. Somebody that speaks much better than me about this is John Wood Jr and Ayishat Akanbi in this podcast: https://braverangels.org/empathy-in-black-white-from-the-u-s-to-the-u-k-ayishat-akanbi-john-wood-jr/
Where do you think that progress comes from? Hint: It does not come from pretending racism and sexism don't exist.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Can somebody please explain to me why it is so horrible to quote MLK?
What do you know of his life and person outside of using select quotes to throw at Black people? Do you understand his position so thoroughly as to meaningfully invoke him instead of using your own words and thoughts?

If not, what is the impetus - is it that he is Black and you feel you are best placed to use the arguments of a man who fought the oppression of Black people to try and fight some perceived oppression of white people?

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I love it when white people from countries that are overwhelmingly white, try to explain what racism is to people actually suffering from it on a daily basis. Even better when they roll out the MLK quotes to do this.

There are easier, faster ways to get a Perm, OP.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

Because white people at the time hated MLK.
Because MLK was assassinated.
Because since then MLK has been white washed as if he would be acceptable today when many white people in America couldn't deal with a black man kneeling silently while the national anthem played before a football game.

It's all bullshit, people paint this image of MLK when he was hated by white people during his time. It's historical revisionism to the extreme and that speech is used to shield from actually having conversations that are hard but necessary about racism. Any time a white person that's worried about racism against white people uses that speech it will always be disingenuous.

Although, I have to admit - everyone getting outraged by an obvious troll is kind of amusing.

I don't know why this shit still works.

Who is outraged? People are just saying what they want to say.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
I love it when white people from countries that are overwhelmingly white, try to explain what racism is to people actually suffering from it on a daily basis. Even better when they roll out the MLK quotes to do this.

There are easier, faster ways to get a Perm, OP.
"I got crazy uncomfortable about my privilege on an Internet forum and that's is the real racism, the worst kind of racism in fact"

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
So, forget about real hard change and let's keep misunderstanding the conversation so that everybody can feel more at ease in a forum?

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
I was taught that Racism involved power over minorities back in the late 80's/early 90's, this is nothing new.

Prejudice is what you're thinking of

FWIW I was taught to not see Color at all. I've since changed my views on that
Technically you are thinking of systematic racism, the structure in which a country (usually America on Resetera) has written laws and built a structure of discrimination and Prejudice against minorities. However, the word racism, by definition is prejudice or discrimination against any ethnic or racial group.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hey OP, I get that you're here asking this to learn or discuss this.

But you really need to be more open to the opposing views to yours in this thread. Tons of people have already explained it to you, but you keep on going and digging yourself.

OP
OP
jahasaja

jahasaja

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Because white people at the time hated MLK.
Because MLK was assassinated.
Because since then MLK has been white washed as if he would be acceptable today when many white people in America couldn't deal with a black man kneeling silently while the national anthem played before a football game.

It's all bullshit, people paint this image of MLK when he was hated by white people during his time. It's historical revisionism to the extreme and that speech is used to shield from actually having conversations that are hard but necessary about racism. Any time a white person that's worried about racism against white people uses that speech it will always be disingenuous.

Yes this is a good point. However, would you not say that many white people have changed their mind and also wholeheartedly and earnestly believe that racism is bad. That is what I am trying to say, there needs universal path for human redemption. Humans are not perfect, we all have our faults but to live together we need to be able to discuss these hard issues without making blanket statements of a person because of outside traits.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
So, forget about real hard change and let's keep misunderstanding the conversation so that everybody can feel more at ease in a forum?
I think that is part of the problem, his view of racism doesn't include systematic racism because he hasn't experienced it and thus hasn't thought about it, as a white person in america, I had to realize that people weren't talking about racism, but the structure that it has created in America (systematic racism).

The one good thing that is coming from this pandemic, is the unrelenting protests, the chance for some change would never be so good if the world was in good shape and people like OP could go about their lives, ignoring the racial injustices around them.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017

Because picking and choosing the specific quotes of MLK that are acceptable to white sensibilities, while ignoring the wide body of his work that is generally considered unacceptable to white sensibilities whitewashes him and the things he stood for, as well as buries under the rug the true nature of his work to make him into 'one of the good ones'

OP
OP
jahasaja

jahasaja

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Hey OP, I get that you're here asking this to learn or discuss this.

But you really need to be more open to the opposing views to yours in this thread. Tons of people have already explained it to you, but you keep on going and digging yourself.
I tried to reply as fast as I can. (and I really have to run soon). Is there anything specific you want to point me to?

Jun 26, 2018
Yes this is a good point. However, would you not say that many white people have changed their mind and also wholeheartedly and earnestly believe that racism is bad. That is what I am trying to say, there needs universal path for human redemption. Humans are not perfect, we all have our faults but to live together we need to be able to discuss these hard issues without making blanket statements of a person because of outside traits.

Who do you vote for when you vote? Which party? Which policies are you most interested in?

Oct 26, 2017
Clown thread
You should know the script. It will be some bullshit about egalitarianism, because we all just recently appeared in this world and history didn't happen. I also see some dictionary entries and "I don't care if you are white, black or green" in the future of this thread.
This seemed like a pretty good prediction, but then op juked and threw out the MLK quote

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

Again you seem more concerned with platitudes and tone policing than any real change. Real change requires acknowledging the problem. Not just the external factors, but the internal beliefs that you struggle with. Many white people are not comfortable with that. They don't want to look at their life and think "hey some of where I'm at isn't because of me but the fact I was born a certain way". I think you're more concerned with civility and the appearance of propriety than fixing these larger issues. I urge you to reconsider.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, how could you even be racist towards a white person. Is that even possible?
Define white. Arabs and Jews are (majoritarly) white and they're most definitely victims of racism.

But beyond that, ethnicity based racism is a thing. Throughout history, french people have been racist towards :

- Germans (les bosches)
- Italians (ritals)
- Spaniards
- Portuguese (the number of racist jokes about portuguese people, especially women, in french is staggering)
- Polish people
- Jews (youpins)

Only once colonialism ended that you saw more racism towards people from colonies (arabs, east asians and blacks) because those people started migrating to France. To be clear racism is always about power and fear. And what was reproached to those various groups is what's reproached nowadays towards arabs and blacks in France. (Stealing jobs, criminals, rapists, illiterate people, savages, etc)

Obviously I can't really see through the lenses of institutionalized racism in the US but growing up in France it was.. prety telling.

As for the OP I can't really comment since I believe it's hard to be racist towards your overlords since they hold all the keys. It's less about racism and more about pushback as far as I'm understanding it

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I understand that, when you haven't experienced it before, people making remarks that you see as being prejudiced against you can be hurtful.

Now imagine that, a thousand times worse, from every angle, and with systemic discrimination pressing down on you in all walks of life. That's the minority experience. Use your own discomfort as a starting point for empathy, if that helps you understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.