Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
As long as the practice is rewarded, platform holders will persist with it. At current moment, it is being rewarded just as it has been in previous generations. Third party developers will always look to reduce the risk/increase revenues and as long as there is someone that is coming in with money prior to a sale being made to limit some stuff on another platform, they will take that money.

Fortnite was not just about crossplay though, it was about Sony doing more than that. It was Sony locking an account to the console to try and further lock in game purchases to the platform, and people revolted. A similar revolt would simply be consumers not buying games with all this exclusive content.

Ninja Theory: They were doing work for hire so that they could self fund their own title.
Obsidian, InXile, Double Fine, Compulsion Games: These were looking towards crowdfunding for their games, and when the first three released quality games, they were not huge sales hits.
Undead Labs, Playground Games: Well, they have only known one publisher since their formation.

There is not a single big publisher that has built their house simply by starting new studios; all of them have been in the market for new partners. I personally do not care who gets bought, and who gets to miss out on what games on whatever platform. It is this type of outrage that really has no place in gaming.

Once again I am not talking about deals like Bloodborne or Sunset Overdrive. It is the deals that fragment an already existing playerbase such as Destiny, Call of Duty, and now being ramped up with the Avengers. It's bullshit, you know it and I know it but they disguise it as extra content. Ity's embarassing even after all these years how the industry still treats its customers as imbeciles.

Of course Sony is going to keep preying on the Japanese market with titles like Final Fantasy, it's much easier for them since Nintendo doesn't have the capable hardware and Microsoft doesn't have the brand recognition there. It's still a shit move to ignore the PC crowd on some of these deals, it was supposed to be the neutral ground but even there Epic games is convoluting that space.

It sounded like Phil was trying to shy away from the Tomb Raider tactics but it looks like they need to or simply fade away even more so because Sony will never lift the foot off the gas. This is one area Sony needs to keep control of as we head into uncharted territory with streaming, subscription based models and rising costs complicating matters more than ever.

I wasn't outraged by those acquisitions, just like I wasn't by Sony's purchase of Insomniac, and just like I'm not by the different exclusivity deals etc. Even though I'm fairly confident Hellblade 2 and Outer Worlds 2 would have ended up on the PS5 were it not for those acquisitions or some other timed exclusive deal.

I appreciate in every single case, it's simply about the platform holder trying to incentivise their platform or offer more content exclusively for their own customers, instead of a competitors.

The only time I'd actually take issue with this sort of thing is if a platform holder paid to withhold the release of an already advertised and completed game for a particular platform, or something along those lines. But afaik that rarely happens. Generally studios use the extra porting time afforded by timed exclusivity deals, to add more content to or polish one or all versions of their game.

It's happening right now with Avengers, you just don't want to admit it because the tactic they are using is it's extra content and Sony already has a good relationship with Marvel. The mental gymnastics these companies will try to justify greed and power is crystal clear.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Perhaps they are complaining because they are gamers and not Sony shareholders? The anti-consumer thing is most certainly not BS, such business decisions are literally the dictionary definition of anti consumer.

you-keep-using-that-word.jpg

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
I have such a hard time taking stuff like this seriously when we know for a fact that both MS and Sony use slave labour in China to make their consoles.

But let's lose our shit over exclusives, people are boycotting or loosing their minds over Spider-Man being on one console and not the other, meanwhile the thread about slave labour being used is 9 pages.

Gaming media is silent on the issue and nobody talks about it. It's fucking sad, it really is.

That we as a community are more vocal over fanboy shit than we are over people being forced in to labour camps to make our toys, it sucks.

Sorry for the rant.
Don't apologize. You're 100% right.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's happening right now with Avengers, you just don't want to admit it because the tactic they are using is it's extra content and Sony already has a good relationship with Marvel. The mental gymnastics these companies will try to justify greed and power is crystal clear.

No it absolutely isn't. This Spider-Man content was never advertised or promoted as part of the main game, and isn't even developed yet, hence it's content that will be launching some time next year, not with the launch of the game this year.

Therefore, it's Sony paying for new exclusive post launch content specifically for their customers, much like paying for an exclusive game itself, only less irritating as competitors losing out on post launch (paid) DLC still isn't as bad as losing out on an entire game.

The ones applying mental gymnastics are those such as yourself, trying to make it seem as though X can be justified whilst Y can't, when in reality they're all the same, and just part of the business of platform holders incentivising their own system by providing added content or value for their own customers over a competitors.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Once again I am not talking about deals like Bloodborne or Sunset Overdrive. It is the deals that fragment an already existing playerbase such as Destiny, Call of Duty, and now being ramped up with the Avengers. It's bullshit, you know it and I know it but they disguise it as extra content. Ity's embarassing even after all these years how the industry still treats its customers as imbeciles.

Of course Sony is going to keep preying on the Japanese market with titles like Final Fantasy, it's much easier for them since Nintendo doesn't have the capable hardware and Microsoft doesn't have the brand recognition there. It's still a shit move to ignore the PC crowd on some of these deals, it was supposed to be the neutral ground but even there Epic games is convoluting that space.

It sounded like Phil was trying to shy away from the Tomb Raider tactics but it looks like they need to or simply fade away even more so because Sony will never lift the foot off the gas. This is one area Sony needs to keep control of as we head into uncharted territory with streaming, subscription based models and rising costs complicating matters more than ever.
Microsoft will have to play ball, simple as. The market will not change to suit them.

They either pay for content, or make a big play to continue expanding their first party if Game Pass is all they are concerned about. Plus the exclusive DLC game was something that they perfected last generation, so they really have no one to blame when it comes to this.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At the end of the day, coming on Era and complaining solves nothing. Every company will be the same until it stops working.

Just look at the iOS - xCloud thread to see how ridiculous people think the idea of changing their purchasing habits is based on anti-consumer policies.

You can either vote with your wallet or sit tight and hope.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
And again you missed the point...already answered this in a follow up post.

I saw your point. My stance doesn't change. Games that have a history of being multiplatform getting locked up to one platform is significantly different than first party games that were never multiplatform in the first place. People absolutely have a right to voice their displeasure with the former.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
At the end of the day, coming on Era and complaining solves nothing. Every company will be the same until it stops working.

Just look at the iOS - xCloud thread to see how ridiculous people think the idea of changing their purchasing habits is based on anti-consumer policies.

You can either vote with your wallet or sit tight and hope.

Not just that, but it is yet another example of exclusive feature or content shenanigans, as Microsoft is giving Samsung users added value, exclusive features, bundles etc not available to Android users. Should all Android users be up in arms about that?

Dr.Ifto

Oct 27, 2017
While money-hatting existing IPs is a terrible idea, it's not really anti-consumer. Consumers are still able to consume it. Anti-consumer would be if it was announced for the other platforms and then never came out

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Big issue with Gamepass is now Xbox owners expect most games to be on Gamepass and limit sales of games. Studios will turn to Sony to secure the lost revenue

You realize only a fraction of Xbox gamers are on Gamepass ? And that nobody expects big 3rd party games to launch on Gamepass?

This explanation will hold even less water in the coming months as Sony continues to beef up PSNow.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not just that, but it is yet another example of exclusive feature or content shenanigans, as Microsoft is giving Samsung users added value, exclusive features, bundles etc not available to Android users. Should all Android users be up in arms about that?

I hadn't even seen that, but yeah, absolutely.

That thread also gives a good indication of how important locking people into your ecosystem is.

If the PS5 is as dominant as the PS4, that will be some gamers who have been in the PS5 ecosystem near enough 15 years, not counting any who I've been around since PS3. That's a lot of digital content being asked to be left behind, especially if future consoles maintain backwards compatibility.

Gives you an idea why Sony are being so cut-throat.

Oct 28, 2019

There's a different app available on the Samsung phones that allows for in-app PURCHASES of DLC, microtransactions, etc. (Google Play doesn't allow for this)

There's also a PRE-ORDER 'gift' of 3 months Game Pass + a controller (or you can choose Samsung earbuds) with a Galaxy Note 20 which retails for 1000 USD

That's it, that's literally all there is to it.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
That's because Google won't allow the in store purchases on the Android store, just like Apple and the App Store. Hence they've partnered with Samsung. Some real reaching there with your comparison lol.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
That's because Google won't allow the in store purchases on the Android store, just like Apple and the App Store. Hence they've partnered with Samsung.
This. And it's a lot easier for Microsoft to potentially throw money at Samsung to allow those features than to buy Google. If Samsung normally blocks those things on their store, not sure.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I saw your point. My stance doesn't change. Games that have a history of being multiplatform getting locked up to one platform is significantly different than first party games that were never multiplatform in the first place. People absolutely have a right to voice their displeasure with the former.
So, what happens with games like Hellblade 2, The Outer Worlds 2, Avowed, Sunset Overdrive 2 (should Insomniac want to make this title)?
These games ought not be made because some people will be mad? Should Sony or Microsoft dedicate who studios to making games on other platforms because they original entries started as multiplats?

Seems a rather odd request for anyone to make.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
MS have confirmed that's not happening.

It's not stopped a few of the cult still believing like, but as far as MS are concerned XBL Gold is here to stay as is for the foreseeable future.
They haven't confirmed any such thing, although seeing Jez Corden and Tom Warren both staying that they never said Live was going free is making me think it won't happen.

However, I do expect that F2P will come out from behind the paywall, which would itself be a change to Xbox Live despite that out of context quote.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
No it absolutely isn't. This Spider-Man content was never advertised or promoted as part of the main game, and isn't even developed yet, hence it's content that will be launching some time next year, not with the launch of the game this year.

Therefore, it's Sony paying for new exclusive post launch content specifically for their customers, much like paying for an exclusive game itself, only less irritating as competitors losing out on post launch (paid) DLC still isn't as bad as losing out on an entire game.

The ones applying mental gymnastics are those such as yourself, trying to make it seem as though X can be justified whilst Y can't, when in reality they're all the same, and just part of the business of platform holders incentivising their own system by providing added content or value for their own customers over a competitors.

See, their stratgey is working. How naive can one be that one of the most popular characters would be left out entirely? They are releasing other post-content characters, they already have the ability to add Spiderman but Sony made sure to tie it up for Playstation owners only. Those are the facts, even Crystal Dynamics is suggesting Sony has good relations, that's why it's happeing. It's PR spin to try and remove any negativity towards the game and quickly shifted to don't worry Xbox and PC customers, other characters are coming. They even said if you want to play Spiderman buy a Playstation because they know this is not timed, Sony wants to hold onto those rights.

Microsoft will have to play ball, simple as. The market will not change to suit them.

They either pay for content, or make a big play to continue expanding their first party if Game Pass is all they are concerned about. Plus the exclusive DLC game was something that they perfected last generation, so they really have no one to blame when it comes to this.
They will likey continue to seek out smaller developers in need of support. It's too expensive to go after marque titles but to Sony it's worth the investment. It's not about helping Square or Bethesda.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
So, what happens with games like Hellblade 2, The Outer Worlds 2, Avowed, Sunset Overdrive 2 (should Insomniac want to make this title)?
These games ought not be made because some people will be mad? Should Sony or Microsoft dedicate who studios to making games on other platforms because they original entries started as multiplats?

Seems a rather odd request for anyone to make.

Just stop. I'm sure you knew I was talking about studios that aren't part of SIE or XGS. Stop moving the goalpost and twisting posts in order to spin your blatant narrative.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
It exactly means that though. Something against the interest of consumers.
Xbox users aren't sony's consumers. The term isn't all encompassing, Otherwise having any walled garden in any media, format, market, etc would fall under the term.

Nintendo continuing to sell their customers faulty hardware and trying to get their customer's court case thrown out is anticonsumer

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's because Google won't allow the in store purchases on the Android store, just like Apple and the App Store. Hence they've partnered with Samsung. Some real reaching there with your comparison lol.

Wait, is this actually true or confirmed anywhere? I know it's the case with Apple, but on the Windows Central article it's implied Microsoft did this on Android to avoid Google's 30% storefront cut, not that Google wouldn't allow in-store purchases.

Not that I'm complaining either way, as stated countless times over the years, I'm not necessarily one to get outraged at this sort of thing. Microsoft is doing what's best for Microsoft.

Last edited:

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
In the end it's a tricky scenario for consumers to be in, I get that, because I feel that every time Sony do this, it urges Microsoft to make a similar deal. And when Microsoft do it, when the platform with a lower install base signs exclusivity deals, that really hurts a lot more people as more folks get locked away from a particular franchise or game.

A big problem is though, that when Microsoft do it it just backfires, like Walken wrote, people just see them as taking their games away. These deals don't really work from the perspective of the minority hardware share, because it damages both brands (both the game, and the manufacturer of the hardware), and the deal that the hardware manufacturer with the minority share has to pay a lot to make it happen. So it doesn't really foster healthy competition, and just ends up hurting developers and consumers, without all that much benefit to Microsoft.

It reminds me of the Mixer fiasco with Ninja and Shroud recently. Microsoft bought the exclusive rights to their streams, so they would only stream on mixer. Okay great... but people felt like mixer were stealing those streamers away, and mixer became a bit of a joke. Meanwhile, if Twitch paid for exclusive streaming rights (which they don't need to), no one would bat an eye lid.

It's a problem, because it effectively makes it very difficult to compete. The brand with the larger mindshare can just buy their way to success with no consequence, and even if their competitors have the cash (like Microsoft do), making the same moves would see much lower returns. Ultimately, complaining constantly isn't going to help because there's a financial incentive for both parties to secure exclusives. Folks buy hardware for games so securing games exclusively to your platform is beneficial, especially for Sony who can secure exclusives for less, and receive a bigger return on each investment.

For the lay consumer, the presence or absence of a particular game they're interested in is the most pertinent value proposition. People talk about the ongoing value of gamepass, but that's not how consumers typically make decisions to buy hardware. They see a game that they like and they buy hardware as a means in which to access those experiences. Heck sometimes it doesn't even need to be exclusive, they just see a brand associated with the game they want to play, like FIFA with an XBOX add on TV, and that's it, they're going to buy an XBOX.

Folks on here overanalyse everything gaming related, but for the lay consumer it's not that deep, they want to play x game and they'll most likely buy whichever device they feel is associated with it. Price point starts to matter when there's a huge void, causing consumers to stop and think... but it's unlikely we're going to see anyone mess up the price of their system so severely as Sony did with the PS3.

And Sony really know what they're doing with their deals at the moment. Marvel is one of the most popular IP in the world right now and they've positioned their platform as the best place to play Marvel Avengers, and the home of Spiderman. Their hardware is the best place to experience Marvel, and that's just a first step in Sony's efforts to bolster their mindshare. Heck, half the folks on this forum seem to think that Sony own Spiderman, who is, in and of himself, one of the largest intellectual properties in the world.

We're going to see other exclusive deals like Final Fantasy (pure speculation), and Street Fighter 6 (again, pure speculation), because Sony want to maintain that mindshare for the forseeable future, and what we've seen in the past is that making these investments now, leaves people attached to your brand for many, many years to come. Heck, folks bought the PS3, which released a year late, with next to no decent exclusives or iconic titles, and at an extortionate price, that's what mindshare does to people.

It's kind of unfortunate, as obviously it would be better if there were no exclusives and we could all play whatever, anywhere... but that doesn't make sense with the way this market works. Sony have an incentive to secure as many big intellectual properties as they can, because they have both the most to lose, and the most to benefit. The only way out of this cycle is if Sony really messed up with their hardware or there were some external regulation (which I don't see happening).

With all of that said, I think the right move for a company in Microsoft's position is internal investment in new IP and properties, and focusing on using those to drive long-term growth. I think they're doing that but we're not going to see the fruits of that labour for perhaps 10 years. Microsoft just need to use things like gamepass to ensure continuous profitability of their XBOX division, despite a smaller market share, and honestly, they'd do better paying less attention to the third party exclusivity race. I want the best for both hardware at the end of the day but for Microsoft that's got to start with their internal studios.

I got a bit carried away with my thoughts and wrote a bit too much here. Oh well.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
See, their stratgey is working. How naive can one be that one of the most popular characters would be left out entirely? They are releasing other post-content characters, they already have the ability to add Spiderman but Sony made sure to tie it up for Playstation owners only. Those are the facts, even Crystal Dynamics is suggesting Sony has good relations, that's why it's happeing. It's PR spin to try and remove any negativity towards the game and quickly shifted to don't worry Xbox and PC customers, other characters are coming. They even said if you want to play Spiderman buy a Playstation because they know this is not timed, Sony wants to hold onto those rights.

The co-owner of CD implied Sony has video game licensing rights/control over Spider-Man, so yes, obviously Sony is going to leverage that. It's not like Microsoft is going to put Hellblade 2 on the PS5 now that they've acquired the studio and IP, instead they're going to leverage it to benefit only Xbox consumers. It's potentially now a similar thing with Spider-Man.

That still doesn't go against anything I've said. Sony is still paying to have new content made specifically for their own customers, it just happens to be content that includes a beloved character that Sony seemingly has sway over.

Last edited:

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
Amazed people are still suggesting that Spidey is a generous gift from Sony which CD would never have thought of themselves.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
It exactly means that though. Something against the interest of consumers.
Unless you are buying a console A, then saying they(A) are "anti-consumer" is false unless they are actively stopping you from having something you are ENTITLED to on
consoles B-Z. In the case of Spider-Man, you are not entitled to anything. You are getting $60 worth of game. Sony is believed to have paid extra to to have extra content at a later time for THEIR consumers. Same for other exclusive content. Owning any other console and saying that they are anti-consumer and not owning their product is like being pissed at one store for selling a $999 TV with a free tablet while YOUR favorite store sells the same thing at the same price without the tablet. Or being pissed at a store for having an exclusive item from a major manufacturer. No one gets upset in cases such as these, they just shop at the store that has what they want.

Even if you hate the practice and want it to stop, the small Era bubble is not going to change anything. Its how business/competition has always worked and will probably continue to work. Asking for parity, while nice, will not happen.

Xbox users aren't sony's consumers. The term isn't all encompassing, Otherwise having any walled garden in any media, format, market, etc would fall under the term.

Nintendo continuing to sell their customers faulty hardware and trying to get their customer's court case thrown out is anticonsumer

This.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Meh, not looking to get sidetracked here.
Yeah, gotta stay on the topic of the real important stuff. Game exclusivity.

Bringing up the evils of capitalism is hilarious.
Because you know that this shit doesn't matter and you can just play a different game?

Like where the gamer outrage out of the use of slave labour in manufacturing the consoles?
www.aspi.org.au

Uyghurs for sale

xotRWSS.png

If half the outrage was funnelled towards this, you'd have Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo fully investigating their supply chains.
And releasing statements about it.

But nah. This is more important!

#moneyhats #anticonsumer

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
That game looks sick, so if it took MS to toss some cash to get the ball rolling, cover servers and help get the game translated, then this benefits literally everyone in the long run. Any money they made from MS and PSO2 release greases the wheels for everything else they do moving forward and PC/PS4 and Switch are all benefiting from it.

I don't think in this particular case that they made a move that is detrimental to any other platform. I don't think these moves would have been made without MS pushing them, Sega hates making smart money moves on their own apparently.
I'm saying it was likely to happen anyway but MS took the opportunity to get it as a timed exclusive.

A PS5 version of Yakuza definitely would have made it out this year if it weren't for Microsoft.

Murdock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
most of yall say shit like "im aint buying it then" but end up buying it anyways. So yall the problem.
im glad im not invested in gaming like i use to. This console war bullshit is over the top.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020

Because you know that this shit doesn't matter and you can just play a different game?

Like where the gamer outrage out of the use of slave labour in manufacturing the consoles?
www.aspi.org.au

Uyghurs for sale

xotRWSS.png

If half the outrage was funnelled towards this, you'd have Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo fully investigating their supply chains.

#moneyhats #anticonsumer

You don't know me, you don't know where my time and energy goes, you don't know what I prioritise in my life.

Ridiculous post. Enjoy my ignore list.

Oct 25, 2017
People using the term anti-consumer might as well start screaming "I learned this term yesterday, allow me to repeat it a bunch of times now."

Most things companies do things are against the interests of some set of gamers. Much of the usage of that term usage has been dulled and it has become a meaningless term trotted out in pride in defense of their favored multi-billion dollar corporation.

Bonus points for when half the users invoking it are also losing their minds at the thoughts of a company buying out a massive third party publisher or literally any other tactic that would impede a set of gamers in some way.

This weird fucking propping up of MS (and others) as if they haven't and aren't doing the same shit is so God damn strange.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

"Sony's consumers" this is how you betrayed your line of thinking. Because you see the market as "companies owning customers". You don't need to be someone's customer to say that their practice is anti-consumer. Consumer is a term that encompass any person that is in the capacity to buy something or interact with the market. When Sony pays so that a game is only available on their platform (which is different from funding it or making their own), they're paying so that consumers only have for option to buy it on their platform, which is an artificial limitation. It's something that was going to release everywhere.

Unless you are buying a console A, then saying they(A) are "anti-consumer" is false unless they are actively stopping you from having something you are ENTITLED to on
consoles B-Z. In the case of Spider-Man, you are not entitled to anything. You are getting $60 worth of game. Sony is believed to have paid extra to to have extra content at a later time for THEIR consumers. Same for other exclusive content. Owning any other console and saying that they are anti-consumer and not owning their product is like being pissed at one store for selling a $999 TV with a free tablet while YOUR favorite store sells the same thing at the same price without the tablet. Or being pissed at a store for having an exclusive item from a major manufacturer. No one gets upset in cases such as these, they just shop at the store that has what they want.

Even if you hate the practice and want it to stop, the small Era bubble is not going to change anything. Its how business/competition has always worked and will probably continue to work. Asking for parity, while nice, will not happen.

This.

You're talking about completly different things. It's not about entitlement, unless you buy the PR talk from companies. It's all about consumer options and their limitations. Believe it or not, limiting consumer options in some ways is anti-consumer. And that's what it's all about. A store doing a promotion isn't an anti-consumer move. But a store going their way to artificially limit your options, for exemple by preventing other stores to sell something, is anti-consumer.

That's the same thing here.

It's against my interest to pay more than 20 bucks for a new release. Devs should reduce all their prices /s

You ain't wrong, but you have to see it more strictly.

As I said, it's about limiting your options in some ways, such as the one to pay to prevent a release anywhere else.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018

www.aspi.org.au

Uyghurs for sale

xotRWSS.png

#moneyhats #anticonsumer

Maybe you can start a thread about that topic? How is it relevant here?

Status
Not open for further replies.