Status
Not open for further replies.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
People say why Sony does this and then you look at the FF7R numbers..
(for the record i didn't buy it)

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
GTA6 isn't happening. FFXVI though...

Thing I just don't get why Sony would feel the need to. Final Fantasy XVI is going to sell overwhelmingly more on PS5 anyway.

Having said that if VII Remake came out earlier in the gen it would have been a system seller, no doubt.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
MS could outspend Sony if they really wanted to get into that fight, it doesn't seem like they have any real plans for throwing huge amounts of money at making big AAA titles exclusives though, their focus is on building their GamePass library and spending money where it's needed in buying and building up their own studios to have a better output themselves. It makes far more sense for MS to buy up studios who can make them more exclusive content which they own vs spending a huge sum making third party titles exclusive which probably won't net them much of a return in the long run and end up on another platform anyway.
Yea with Sony locking down bigger titles from third party studios plus having the best stable of first party studios themselves, it really makes the PS5 extremely enticing for somebody on the fence.
Stellar first party + Exclusive AAA third party titles + sprinkle of indie/VR goodness = WIN

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Xbox: Play anywhere.

Sony: Do NOT play anywhere.

Nintendo: Do NOT play anywhere, and pay us full launch price for premiere titles until the end of time.

And Nintendo sells the most, and Xbox sells the least. So why not keep doing it? Sucks for gamers. Really good for business.

I will say, as an Xbox main, Switch #2 player, it makes me personally want to invest in Sony LESS not more. But for the casuals and the long-term PS fans? Great news/smart move.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
I'm so incredibly hyped for the Final Fantasy 16 reveal thread. I'm going to make some popcorn just for it

🍿👀🥤

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
What games are they doing it with? The majority of Microsoft's console exclusives or timed exclusives are AA PC-centric developers that typically don't have the bandwidth to develop for all platforms simultaneously. Microsoft has been working with these types of developers for years now, alongside their recent push onto PC gaming. I think a lot of people are confusing Microsoft building a strong relationship and logical ecosystem for AA PC-centric developers to leverage, similar to what Sony did with Indie developers at the beginning of this generation, and a true Moneyhat.

You really think S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 would not be day 1 on both system if not for MS or Crossfire X need help when Smilegate worth billions ?
Matt said MS going after deals also it just that it cost them more and they not willing to pay the price.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
the thing is, sony's footprint is enormous in gaming... but an xbox pc combined team which is regularly getting bits taken away from it, aint gonna take it for too long

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
It hasn't even started, and I already hate this generation. Everyone's talking about exclusives, time-limited exclusives, the importance of those things, and the only thing I want is cross-play, cross-save and play anywhere. No one is pressing the cross-play question, play anywhere from MS is nice, but news that Apple isn't playing ball for XCloud sucks, and cross-save seems developer dependent?

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
If Sony wants to keep poking the bear fine, but don't be suprised if MS goes for a WB tier development group.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think GTA as timed exclusive is that big of a deal. These games were on PlayStation 2 for a long time, I remember the big deal with Microsoft announcing they finally got it too. Who knows anymore lol

GTA1 was on GBC, too and GTA2 was on Dreamcast and GBC. It was only during the PS2 era that the games were exclusive to PS2.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Well, when your operating budget for your gaming division far exceeds your competitors. Better suffocate them into irrelevance.

Sony did this during PS4, expect them to push for MS to basically go extinct next gen with these deals.

Not much fight in MS w/ similar deals but again, way harder for them.

Gonna be a rough time for Xbox fans next gen.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
MS doesnt seem to be doing nearly the same thing (mostly small games centered around gamepass).
MS locked the entire fucking multiplayer mode of tetris from PS players when they ALREADY paid for the game. And they did it again with Yakuza 7 and locking ps4 players from next gen upgrade. Both companies are doing this shit. Matt even said MS is trying to do more of this, but it's just more expensive than they're willing to pay.

Oct 27, 2017
MS could outspend Sony if they really wanted to get into that fight, it doesn't seem like they have any real plans for throwing huge amounts of money at making big AAA titles exclusives though, their focus is on building their GamePass library and spending money where it's needed in buying and building up their own studios to have a better output themselves. It makes far more sense for MS to buy up studios who can make them more exclusive content which they own vs spending a huge sum making third party titles exclusive which probably won't net them much of a return in the long run and end up on another platform anyway.
Phil is doing things the right way just like Sony in the PS3 days.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
This generation is already proving to be exhausting and we don't even have launch dates yet. Sony and MS are just gonna spend the whole gen trying to fuck each other over instead of trying to improve things for their own consumers, huh?
I know ima get shit for this, but it looks like...
If MS's future is a subscription service, it seems like it's adding fuel to these timed exclusives and only making it easier to acquire; you get extra Sony money/ marketing selling at full price and after a year Xbox gets the game for free on GP and publisher gets another big check. I know Sony is trying to dodge that $60 game on their platform and the same day it's free on GP..

I can see some smaller devs opt for MS big check now and gamble on other platforms later.

I quote you at the risk of getting verbally scathed, but am interested in your thoughts. Just a theory..
I have.

unapersson

Oct 27, 2017
MS doesn't have the same clout either. Especially compared to the 360-era. So they'd have to pay way more than Sony (which, by most indications, will be the continued market leader).

It doesn't necessarily mean that they don't want to - Matt confirmed they're "aggressively" pursuing similar deals... It's just not money they're willing to spend.

I hope they do what Sony did with the PS3:
Invest in their own games and try to set themselves apart.
That's what saved the PS3!

I don't want MS to go anywhere. We need competition!

Third party titles also have to compete with a huge library of free GamePass titles, unless they're on GamePass themselves, which may create even more openings for these kind of deals. They can then just do a later port and/or go onto GamePass at that point.

Oct 27, 2017
MS locked the entire fucking multiplayer mode of tetris from PS players when they ALREADY paid for the game. And they did it again with Yakuza 7 and locking ps4 players from next gen upgrade. Both companies are doing this shit. Matt even said MS is trying to do more of this, but it's just more expensive than they're willing to pay.
I doubt Tetris even gets this update without the Xbox deal. Same goes for a next gen version of Yakuza.

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
People say why Sony does this and then you look at the FF7R numbers..
(for the record i didn't buy it)
It would have sold bonkers no matter what on ps4. All the exclusivity does is give Sony temporary bragging rights while locking out potential new fans.

kortvarsel

Avenger
Dec 11, 2017
What if it's FFXVI with Square Enix trying to repair the hole from when they shot themselves in the foot all those years ago.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
This doesn't seem good for us. I couldn't care less if it proves successful for Sony :/.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018

Exactly... people say MS has more to spend but they forget how much bigger Sony consoles are.
Locking huge AAA third party games even as timed exclusives would be much more expensive for MS than Sony.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
The same people celebrating this will be crying foul when Microsoft counters this for some games they want.

All this is doing is setting up a worse environment to play

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft doesn't have the leverage to moneyhat anything of impact
Exactly.

MS is going to slip further and futher from meaningful competition.

Its a vicious cycle. The more Sony buys, the less relevant Xbox is. The less relevant they are, the more deals Sony gets and less MS gets.

I worry for the future of Xbox this gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.