Status
Not open for further replies.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I wouldn't play it even if it were free.

It has nothing of the charm I used to associate to FF, I find the trailers boring and samey, I just wouldn't want to spent my limited play time on this game.

In the the end, I'm sure it will be fine, but FF is just another jrpg-ish series now, nothing special. With time it will be ported to everything, got on sale for 3 bucks at times like XV and rack up those sales numbers.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
The real funny thing is, even DMC sold pretty well on Xbox and PC. DMC has been multiplaform for over a decade and cultivated a fanbase on each platform. DMC5 was literally announced in a Xbox conference, and it went on to become the best selling DMC game of all time. Hi-Fi Rush is a first party Japanese character action game from Microsoft. The more you think about it, the less sense SE make.
It's all just very strange. The developers made a game that maybe had a chance at expanding audiences on both Xbox and PC but the business people made a deal that limits potential growth.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I'm not sure you understand what "articulate" means. Just saying "that's not what I was doing" is not articulating. You'd have to explain what the point of your post actually was. And just saying "I made the post because I don't know the characters" doesn't wash, because it doesn't make sense to make a forum post about it instead of just looking them up on your own, since nobody would reasonably expect someone on a forum to give them a deep dive into who two game characters are and why they were well written. Which is why your protestation to the contrary is bullshit.

What you seem to not understand in your poor attempt at condescension is there is nothing else to articulate. I told you why and, again, you chose not to believe me. Nothing else to it

Again: all of this really just comes back to you insisting "one had far more marketing than the other in their respective timeframes" and being wrong about that. Zelda got a very similar amount of pre-release marketing as FFXVI has. It got every one of the same marketing strategy examples you listed in describing FF's marketing campaign as a prolific one.

But in both cases, those campaigns haven't successfully reached as many people with pertinent info as they aimed to, and the result has been a general malaise and lack of excitement. It's pointless to distinguish between "quantity" and "quality" in this regard. Both are just two sides of the same coin, and a means to an end.

It's going to be incorrect to claim that one campaign has been significantly bigger than the other, no matter how many times you do it. It's really just that simple.

Well, it wasn't, but your sky can be cotton candy if you want it to be

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
Well, that's the best pitch for the game so far lol

Final Fantasy is divided.

On one side, you have the anime games: 7, 10, 13, and 15. Melodramatic stories. Nomura character designs.

On the other side, you have the fantasy games: Tactics, the MMOs, 12, and now 16. More serious tones. Traditional fantasy character designs.

9 is kind of a mix. It looks like the fantasy games but has the tone of the anime games. 8 is weird and in its own category. The 2D ones are hard to pinpoint.

But I think most people are partial to the anime games. That could be hurting 16's numbers. I prefer the anime games but am still excited for 16.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All they focus on this game is the combat which to me I can barely understand what's happening on screen given the shit ton of effects and other garbage that just haemorrhage out of anything that gets hit once. So their biggest selling point is already a negative to me. Then there's all of Yosh-P's awful takes regarding PoC characters that just makes it even more of a skip to me.

EDIT: Finally, I'm tired of this bullshit dark gritty 'mature' washed out dull look the game goes for that reminds me of the PS3 era. My favorite FF is 9 which is pretty much the polar opposite to this one in a lot of ways.

Iron_Maw

Banned
Nov 4, 2021
exputer.com

Final Fantasy XVI Is Like A "Playable Hollywood Blockbuster Movie," Says Producer

Final Fantasy XVI producer Naoki Yoshida has revealed that the game's PC port will begin development shortly after it releases on PS5.

That kind of statement doesn't help...
Then I sure hope anyone who takes issues with that statement didn't like FF from VII till now because SE has been aiming for the feel forever.

Like people loved motocycle chases of FFVII, moving cities waging FFVIII, a castle in FFIX turning a gundam and firing lasers etc. Summon battles are no less over-the-top.

All they focus on this game is the combat which to me I can barely understand what's happening on screen given the shit ton of effects and other garbage that just haemorrhage out of anything that gets hit once. So their biggest selling point is already a negative to me. Then there's all of Yosh-P's awful takes regarding PoC characters that just makes it even more of a skip to me.

They held an SoP a month ago gave indepth of the game including showing combat, exploration, story scenes and character explanations which was well received on the net.

Anyone who saying they only shown combat have definitely haven't watched an FFXVI showcase i recently.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfP_3UD5qF8

Last edited:

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017

On one side, you have the anime games: 7, 10, 13, and 15. Melodramatic stories. Nomura character designs.

On the other side, you have the fantasy games: Tactics, the MMOs, 12, and now 16. More serious tones. Traditional fantasy character designs.

9 is kind of a mix. It looks like the fantasy games but has the tone of the anime games. 8 is weird and in its own category. The 2D ones are hard to pinpoint.

But I think most people are partial to the anime games. That could be hurting 16's numbers. I prefer the anime games but am still excited for 16.

the 2d ones are more intentionally about the role-playing aspect - especially the first three and kinda six (with its many characters who may or may not affect the plot). the closest thing to those in the numbered series have been the online games - although there have been several spinoffs and spiritual successors (bravely in particular).

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Then I sure hope anyone who takes issues with that statement didn't like FF from VII till now because SE has been aiming for the feel forever.

Like people loved motocycle chases of FFVII, moving cities waging FFVIII, a castle in FFIX turning a gundam and firing lasers etc. Summon battles are no less over-the-top.

They held an SoP a month ago gave indepth of the game including showing combat, exploration, story scenes and character explanations which was well received on the net.

Anyone who saying they only shown combat have definitely haven't watched an FFXVI showcase i recently.

Yeah this is what I don't get about these complaints. SE have been making FF games that aimed for a Hollywood movie-like feel for 25 years. And they've talked about it explicitly.

Plum

May 31, 2018
The ending isn't exactly conducive to good word of mouth.
For me I'm significantly less excited for a sequel to a game that very clearly said "this ain't for you," near the end.

Tbh it doesn't feel like any modern non-MMO Final Fantasy is 'made for me.' I am going to be buying and playing FFXVI (and I just bought the Pixel Remasters on Switch), but compared to a 'Tears of the Kingdom' or even a Street Fighter 6 - which has made great strides to be as welcoming as possible to a scrub like me - I just don't have the experience to make me excited for the changes these new games bring.

Both the FFVII Remakes and FFXVI seem to be made for the 'Maximillian Doods' of the world; those people who are nearing 40 and have significant experience with the series in their true historical contexts. People who are old enough to have long-built nostalgia and qualms with the series, having played most-if-not-all of them at, or very soon after release. As someone who doesn't have that, the FFVII Remake Trilogy feels like some weird 'answer' to a bunch of questions I literally couldn't have ever asked, and FFXVI feels like a response to a gameplay and setting fatigue I couldn't have possibly experienced.

Neither are for people who just want to play a Final Fantasy that is "Final Fantasy for people born after the early 90s." Instead, those who have been playing the series since the early 90s get the attention. It's honestly a bit tiring at this point, and I would not be surprised if this has led to a greater fatigue with the (non-MMO) series from those of us who aren't coming up to being middle-aged.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020

I guess. I don't really think of them in that way, but I can see the divide you're making. I don't think it has to be like that, though. I think you can have 'anime' game that is about adults and is 'serious.' I don't think there has to be this dynamic of 'if the games want to be serious, it has to be medieval fantasy.'

No, the subtlety comment definitely means you didn't.

We both know what you're doing, I'm just not going to take the bait. You can keep replying and being coy if you want, it doesn't matter to me

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

Not gonna lie, i would be pretty hyped if FFXVI trailers had motorcycle chases and moving cities.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I'm already checked out at this point dude. Most of the things I've seen about this game don't appeal to me and the dev's shitty views make me even less interested giving it a chance.

machtia

Oct 29, 2017
Anecdotally, I know a bunch of people who should be talking about this game but just aren't. Including some big time XIV fans who were over the moon after the reveal. No one's said they're not interested in XVI, but it feels like it's not on their radar.

Iron_Maw

Banned
Nov 4, 2021
Yeah this is what I don't get about these complaints. SE have been making FF games that aimed for a Hollywood movie-like feel for 25 years. And they've talked about it explicitly.
Yeah, you can even include the SNES FFs, particualry FFVI which had been emulating cinematic storytelling even before FFVII.

Last edited:

ace3skoot

Dec 3, 2018
I'm definitely waiting for reviews, videos seem kind of cool but visually it's very busy on screen, I regretted get ffxv at launch ( though I hear it got a lot better post-launch updates) so will remaining cautious

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
We both know what you're doing, I'm just not going to take the bait. You can keep replying and being coy if you want, it doesn't matter to me

Lol, for the love of god, man. If all you're doing here is trying to get the last word in then be my guest: have it. I'm too old for that kind of kiddie game. Make another weird cotton candy reference if that makes it better.

Yeah, you can even include the SNES FFs, particualry FFVI which had been emulating cinematic storytelling even before FFVI,

Oh yeah, I was. FFVI was going for that feel without a doubt.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
The demo should help, but yeah, their marketing being extremely focused on the same things over and over again can't really be bringing in a lot of new folks. They need to attract new fans, not just keep preaching how great their action combat is.

Not well.
I have read this critism multiple times now but Zelda TotK had even less story trailers and that game is breaking records.

The marketing definitely isn't the problem. It's much more realistic that some people have lost interest in the franchise after XV. PS5 games aren't selling in Japan, Square enix games drop in price really fast so buying day one for 70/80 euro seems unnecessary, there are to many triple A games this summer, ect, ect.

I also don't believe the game would sell beter if it was a traditional jrpg. Octopath Traveler 2 is probably among the best jrpgs ever made but is hardly selling. People seldom speak with their wallets

immy

Jul 3, 2022
Couple of reasons for this
-Loads of good games out right now.
-FFvx was a shit sandwich that will have put some people off.
-PS5 exclusive.

Iron_Maw

Banned
Nov 4, 2021
Not gonna lie, i would be pretty hyped if FFXVI trailers had motorcycle chases and moving cities.

Well being on internet around era FFVII came around oldschool SNES FF fans penned that stuff like some people are doing with spectacles in FFXVI. Heck when I was younger the stuff FFXVI was a lot of people dreamed about.

I'm already checked out at this point dude. Most of the things I've seen about this game don't appeal to me and the dev's shitty views make me even less interested giving it a chance.

I mean my point was to contest your claim all they shown is combat because the team has shown plenty outside of that. If you didn't like any of it thats another thing entirely. I'm not trying to convince you to like it or not.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this is what I don't get about these complaints. SE have been making FF games that aimed for a Hollywood movie-like feel for 25 years.

Hollywood movie-like is one thing, big blockbusters is another thing entirely. They are going after the extreme big noisy flashy action movie audience. Hollywood is not all that, isn't it?

I mean when FF dev teams in the past said they were going after Hollywood movie they meant that they were trying to be more cinematic, tell a story in a movie like fashion, just like The Last of Us games do. But being cinematic is not a bad thing per se, it's a bad thing if they choose to chase the blockbuster action turn off your brain and just enjoy the spectacle movies.

This is why those words are worrying, especially considering that they says Eikons battle should be the blockbuster part. Eikons battles, from what they showed, are extremely boring gameplay wise, except the part with Phoenix. They are all about mashing the same buttons again and again and then some cinematic qte giving massive damage every new phase.

I really hope they are keeping the most interesting ones secret.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
But then they wouldn't have got the moneyhat and development/marketing support from Sony, I guess.
It is fascinating how Square Enix currently has two types of games: Moneyhats with temporary exclusivity of either the game (Nintendo, Sony) or the port (Epic, Microsoft with Gamepass) and on the other hand multiplatform games that it launches without any marketing directly to die

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
They still might've gotten the deal conideration they've done ps and pc exclusivity deals before but likely less money tham a one platform exclusivity.

It could just a Square thing as well. They randomly don't have PC versions of games sometimes. Octopath didn't have one, Final Bar didn't, either.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
All the emphasis being on the combat has definitely limited my hype for this tbh.

I generally don't like flashy combat focused games like Devil May Cry, and while I'm sure it's not going to be as combo-heavy as that...it still doesn't look all that fun to me. It's a shame that this is likely why they had to ditch a proper cast of party members, too. Can't have multiple unique combat systems.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
Did they mention if you can turn off the combo texts in battle? That would be the first thing I will do, otherwise I don't mind it being flashy.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
…Okay? Claire got a whole trilogy of games and I never saw anyone complain about her name being common so idk why people feel so strongly about Clive.
She was known as Lightning in the mainstream, not Claire. Like Solid Snake isn't generally called David. I don't think being called Clive matters anyway, the protagonists don't all have cool sounding names.

D O T

Jan 1, 2021
Anybody asking for pc gonna wait at least 2-3 years minimum and that's not counting storefront exclusivity shenanigans.

Status
Not open for further replies.