• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now that's a game I haven't heard about in a long, long time.

giphy.gif

Never beat it or the sequel.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
Was Startropics 2 considered a good game? I've only played the first chapter and it felt off compared to the first game. I also don't like that they took out the grid-based movement.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Eh history revisionists tried to say Battletoads was bad too. Startropics is pretty great, but it's not amazing. The RPG elements are incredibly linear, but the action gameplay, while a little funky, is fun. The theme is great.

It's really hard to imagine a universe were Startropics replaces Zelda. Like maybe it's a world where tiki culture took the world by storm and Lord of the Rings was based on Polynesian lore and such... I dunno. Heck, maybe Polynesia took their abundant resources in prehistory and used that power to expand wildly and rule the world in that universe.

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
I played a little bit of Startropics the other day and it's pretty fun. It'd be great if they could revive it somehow.

Being completely honest though, I'd rather revive Adventures of Lolo instead since that's probably the best NES game I've played so far on the Switch. It would be perfect as an eShop title.

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, and I'm actually not even a big fan of the NES Zeldas. They still feel like cohesive games, whereas StarTropics 1 feels like an uninspired knockoff with better graphics and dramatically worse dungeon and overworld design.

How does it feel like Zelda knockoff in any way? The game is not at all similar to Zelda in terms of gameplay, visuals, setting, or really anything. The dungeons are linear because they are meant to be. They're not Zelda dungeons with an item and a macguffin, they're caves that you need to traverse through to get from point A to point B or advance the story. It makes sense for them to be linear.

I honestly don't get why there are so many comparisons between this and Zelda. Beyond the two games being adventure games there are not many similarities.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I love StarTropics, but yeah, it's pretty much a western thing only.

The second game wasn't as good at all.

But I'd love a third game that went back to the original's roots if it kept the original tile-based movement physics. The second game ruined that completely.