Which Do You Normally Choose?

• Male

Votes: 448 40.3%
  • Female

Votes: 638 57.4%
  • Non-Binary or Androgynous (If Available)

Votes: 26 2.3%

• Total voters

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I almost always choose girls. I just prefer looking at girls in games over guys and I normally prefer the customization options they get. Especially in clothing.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
If it is a purely cosmetic thing then I always pick the male option. If it's a game series like Borderlands where the characters all have unique stats and abilities. It really just depends on which character looks like they are more fun to play as.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Usually the guy because I'm gay and prefer to look at a guy running around/climbing/swimming. 🤷🏻‍♂️

If I'm being honest lol.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Female protagonist generally, especially if its a silent protagonist.

Sometimes I will vary it up depending on the voice performances, etc.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Usually female, but sometimes I'll just go with whatever the default is (whether it's male or female), if I just want to try the game out and don't want to spend all day in a character creator. It's just that once I go down the path of customization, I kind of usually go a bit too far with it.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I typically choose male, but every now and again I go female. My initial runs of both KOTOR II and Dragon Age: Inquisition my character was a woman.

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
90% Female, Totally for speedrunning purpose
EwYoU49WgAQgM8E.png

jk: for no particular reason i think.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
It varies, though I generally lean towards a male character.

Usually because I like making the main character look like me.

Last edited:

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
I'll always go with the female option as it usually just makes the game feel more fresh. E.g. Fallout 4. I haven't played a game about a mother looking for their child before, but I've played countless where a father is looking for their child.

Usually better hair options too.

The only excpetion is if I watched my gf play the game first , in which case I'll choose the one we haven't seen, which is usually the male character.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
If one has a better story/actor/presence than the other, I'll choose that one. Otherwise, it comes to the aesthetic. Guy has cooler clothes? I'll choose him. Gal has cooler clothes? I'll choose her.

First playthrough for Mass effect was with a guy. In May (or whenever I decide to pick it up), it's time for FemShep's reign.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Depends on the game and what it changes, but most of the time, I'll go with the female option. This is especially true in long RPGs where (and maybe it's just me) the female protagonist is often far better an actor.

SirThou

Oct 27, 2017
Mix it up as well. Went with Kassandra for AC Odyssey, so went male Eivor for AC Valhalla. Created a male in ESO so went with a female in Skyrim, and now just started a male Outer Worlds character. Tried a male Trickster in the Outriders, and now trying a female Devastator.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
It depends on the game, and what I think of the characters when selecting who to play. When making my own character, if the game lets me make my own sufficiently aged, grizzled hot dude I'll probably make a male character, but depending on the character creation options I might make a female character instead.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Female if their character takes up less screen space. Otherwise male. For Fenyx Rising, female because the actress sounded better to me.

wars

Apr 26, 2020
Lisbon,Portugal
Usually I choose a woman because they always have the best design for me.

Even in hero shooters I tend to prefer the female heroes.

This may come as weird but since I´m a guy I want my character to be the exact opposite of me and idk I like to personalize females more, guys design choices or personalization are a bit boring in most games.

Strong women really inspire me.

Last edited:

AbsoluteZ3R0

Feb 5, 2019
Depends. If its an rpg where I am playing as "myself" usually story haeavy choice based rpg's I tend to go male. In games like monster hunter, nioh where your character I will mostly play as female.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
It usually depends on which look better, especially when it comes to hair. If I want to make an old character I'll always pick a male though, solely because every game I've played with old age sliders for women just make them look like 20 year olds whose faces have pruned like your fingers do in water.

Dustlander

Dec 25, 2017
Brazil
It varies. A lot of times the character designs are the deal breaker, unless you can customize them. In Pokémon, at least before Sw/Sh, it was conveniente because, the one I didn't chose when playing the main game, I'd always play on the re-release/third version (Emerald, Platinum etc).

In FE: Three Houses, I disliked f!Byleth's design so much that I would have played as a male on all routes if I could chose, but I had to play with her at least once so I could marry my favorite character, Ferdinand. Dang I wish he was a same sex option ;_;

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
I probably lean towards female more often than male. I find a lot of female voice actors are just better than their male counterparts. And cosmetics tend to be more interesting for female characters. Or maybe the male form is just boring to me, in that utilitarian Seinfeldian sort of way. *opens a pickle jar in the nude*

Women. Too many male protagonists out there. It's refreshing to see a badass woman.

^^^ That too.

If I do roll a male character, I'll model it after myself, for maximum power fantasy/immersion.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
Always female. I am a girl and want to play as a hero closer to me.

(also before I was out it was a way to express myself)

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I usually choose girls, as I have plenty of games that only give me male as an option, and variety is the spice of life.

EDIT: In the same vein, if I'm doing multiple playthroughs, I'll play as a guy second.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Male in MMOs, female in some narrative driven games (Mass Effect), but that depends on delivery.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Always a male. Prefer a character as close to myself as possible. Same reason my characters are always black whenever the option presents itself.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I usually make my characters women of color because I play as enough grizzled, middle aged white dudes as it is.

Tekken

Banned
Mar 8, 2021
If there is a brown/black/Asian Male character I'd go for that- If not usually woman but depends

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Female, I've never really connected with male protagonists in games, and I've always related more with femininity despite being and presenting as male. Games force male player characters on you too much as it is anyway.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
I vastly prefer female characters and not even sure why, to be honest. It's not the visual attraction (though I'm sure that plays some role in it on a subconscious level), it's the fact I simply find their characters more interesting for the most part. If a character is Geralt, Joel or 2018 Kratos - then sure - but for everything else, most male characters are just bland to me. For example, I enjoyed Chloe much much more than Nathan in Uncharted 4/LL. I loved Horizon in big part due to Aloy and I'm sure I would actually finish Ghost of Tsushima if Jin was female.

With that said, when we have a character creator, I try to create a character like I'm writing a story (not one that represents me) so I always go with a female option.

Also, Femshep is the only true Shepard.

Nov 3, 2017
Depends.

Party based RPGs (Pillars of Eternity, Divinity Original Sin)- A dude cause I've been rolling the same wizard archetype forever.

Single player RPGs (AC Odyssey, Mass Effect) I'll go with whichever Voice Actor is regarded as giving the stronger performance which has recently been the female VA.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Male pretty much everytime if it's an either or. If I'm just creating someone then I'd say it's 80/20. Usually pick male because it's either a cool version of me.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
AC Odyssey Kassandra - Great choice, voice actress was perfect.

Cyberpunk 2077 Male V - Bad choice, voice actor was terrible but i don't think that female V would be much better anyway

AC Valhalla Male Eivor - Great choice again but female also sounded good(Also i read female is cannon but i haven't completed the game yet so I don't know how or why).

Mass Effect - Back when i played the game i chose Male Sheppard without thinking about it so now I can't possibly think of Sheppard as female despite many people saying they prefer the female one.

So it depends on the game.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
at the beggining my thought was that i rather see a woman than a man when playing a game.

but then i realize Badass women are so much more coool.

like there is still a lot of games with male protagonists so when given the chance i rather see a woman on the spotlight.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
If there is a character creator I tend to make a man. If it's a choice between a preset man and woman, then it depends on who looks cooler. If the game is long and let's you switch genders like in Nioh 2, I'll play as both.

I find that I have an easier time coming up with a satisfying design when I make a man.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Probably 95% of times when I have a choice, whether through Character Creator or multiple protagonists, I tend to play as the female option. I am a really generic looking white dude, so creating myself in-game is not exciting or interesting in the slightest. I have a lot more fun playing around with the women's hairstyles, eye/hair color combos, etc.

The 5% or so where I choose the male option is normally to pursue a particular romance option that's locked to the male gender option. For example a couple of Male Byleth runs in FE3H, and I'll eventually replay Cyberpunk as a dude to romance Panam since I couldn't as a woman.

A minor but still significant reason that contributes to it is that I suck at naming characters, so I just rip names from my favorite books, which happen to have a lot of cool & interesting names for the female characters.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
For games with character creators I'll pretty much always go for a female character. For games with set characters it depends on which one I like more.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I usually switch back and forth between games. Male in one. Female in the other. Depends on the character designs and outfits you can get as well.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Male always, unless they're like actually different characters.

I experiment more with skin color, but I usually start with something around the same caucasian tone as myself.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
If the game has a character creator, especially one that actually gives a shit about afrocentric hairstyles, then I go with a male to make myself.

Otherwise, it's random.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a guy. Usually go female unless I specifically want to play a guy for romance options or if I just really dislike how the female MC looks.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I tend to choose female characters as they tend to be more stylishly designed compared to the more generic male pro tags. But it really depends on a game by game basis.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Female. Always. What's the point of picking a male when most of the games already use male protagonists?