FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It is so flexible that God themself couldn't collapse that balcony.

Lol! I see what you did there

While i agree that these types of structures are built to flex, it'd still make me really uncomfortable to be either on that balcony, or underneath it. Accidents can, and do happen, and you just never know when physics might decide, "You know what, I'm not a fan of this song, so, time to buckle!" I'm kidding, but it's always unnerving seeing things that our brains are conditioned to view as stationary, moving like that.

I live in LA, and I remember back when I worked at Vivendi, in their El Segundo building, there was an earthquake, and, for like, a good 1-2 hours or so, our building was just swaying afterwards. The earthquake wasn't even really near us from what I can remember. But we were on the 15th or so floor, and looking out the window, you could tell the building was swaying. Additionally, it felt really weird trying to walk around the floor during that time! Like, I'm generally not one prone to dizziness or motion sickness, but it was fascinating how my equilibrium was affected by the building sway, even though it wasn't egregious swaying. Just enough to make me a teensy bit unbalanced.

Not the most enjoyable experience I've had, though I've definitely experienced plenty of earthquakes over the decades I've lived here lol

SeroTyler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I saw suicide boys at a venue on the second floor of a building and going downstairs to use the restroom was horrifying. The entire ceiling looked like it was going to collapse.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
I think what shocks me more is that everyone in that crowd has a phone up.

Feels like it defeats the purpose of going to a live performance if your experience of it is going to be through your phone screen.

beebop

May 30, 2023
Oh it's one of these videos that appears once a year or so and freaks people out.

If that's a steel structure underneath I'd fully expect flex under an oscillating load. Presumably it's been designed to avoid an oscillating frequency that humans jumping could cause, because that's the only thing you really need to worry about here.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I think what shocks me more is that everyone in that crowd has a phone up.

Feels like it defeats the purpose of going to a live performance if your experience of it is going to be through your phone screen.

I have basically given up on concerts because of this. Can't see or focus on the band with 400 glowing phones blocking the view recording video that not a single person is ever going to watch in their lives.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
I have basically given up on concerts because of this. Can't see or focus on the band with 400 glowing phones blocking the view recording video that not a single person is ever going to watch in their lives.
Those videos are getting uploaded on social so others will know they saw it live. That's about it.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Are they even putting anymore stress on the balcony? They've already put all the force that's gonna be acting on it by just being on the balcony. The only thing that's changes is by jumping they're reliving the force that's already there when everybody is just sitting/standing. Its slowly flexing when people make their way to their seats and more people are added.

Am I mistaken about physics?

Not sure if releasing then reapplying the force rapidly would damaging the balcony through stress.
Force, yes, kinetic energy, no.

The iffy thing about physics is that the word "force" is a specific thing, but outside of physics we use the word "force" to include momentum. The "force" of a car moving at a constant speed is 0N, still scary.

That being said it's built for this, hopefully.

As for the bold, worst case scenario is they hit harmonic resonance:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-zczJXSxnw

Last edited: