discotheque

Dec 23, 2019
Strawman argument, I've never advocated for voting republican and never would. I would argue, however, that both parties are responsible for disenfranchising the people in nearly equal measure, by representing corporate interests over the interests of human beings.
I never said or implied you advocated voting republican? That's an actual strawman. And no, lol, it is insanely, unbelievably disingenuous to "both sides" voter disenfranchisment when one party is party is putting up hurdles like Voter ID laws, ending vote by mail and early voting, etc, etc. You realize that a populist candidate is realistically never going to win with those hurdles in place, right?

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Joe Biden is a classic white moderate. Let's see what Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. had to say about people like him:

"First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

I had hoped that the white moderate would understand that law and order exist for the purpose of establishing justice and that when they fail in this purpose they become the dangerously structured dams that block the flow of social progress. I had hoped that the white moderate would understand that the present tension in the South is a necessary phase of the transition from an obnoxious negative peace, in which the Negro passively accepted his unjust plight, to a substantive and positive peace, in which all men will respect the dignity and worth of human personality. Actually, we who engage in nonviolent direct action are not the creators of tension. We merely bring to the surface the hidden tension that is already alive. We bring it out in the open, where it can be seen and dealt with. Like a boil that can never be cured so long as it is covered up but must be opened with all its ugliness to the natural medicines of air and light, injustice must be exposed, with all the tension its exposure creates, to the light of human conscience and the air of national opinion before it can be cured."

I can't in good conscious support a candidate with a history of that kind of racism.

There are two candidates, Biden and Trump. Either you support the status quo or you choose to support change. It's really pretty simple. If you or somebody is in a district with literally no chance of Trump winning I guess I get the protest vote, but with the stakes so high why even risk it? Trump is genuinely evil and is destroying our country. Choosing to support the option that removes him from office should supersede any moral reservations somebody has.

That's assuming a good faith argument.

I just can't consider everything Trump has done and said and sympathize with your stance, sorry.

lush

Oct 26, 2017
Knoxville, TN
I would argue, however, that both parties are responsible for disenfranchising the people in nearly equal measure
One party actively shuts down polling locations in areas where minorities/Democratic voters live, purges voter rolls in elections they're up for election in, and are actively fighting expansion to absentee ballot applications in the middle of a fucking pandemic. The party that constantly chants "voter fraud" is the party that's overwhelmingly guilty of said action.

Voting blue no matter who should be common sense when you realize that one of the two viable parties literally stands for nothing. Everything beyond that is up to the electorate to participate in the system. Run for election if our electorate is just too moderate for you, join the fucking club as someone that lives In a college town in blood red TN. This country is shit, news at 11.

The MLK Jr. quotes to make your case for not voting for Biden, *chefs kiss*

Seraph84

Banned
May 27, 2020
NYC
There are two candidates, Biden and Trump.
There are more than two candidates. There is a green party, and you can also write in any candidate of your choice.
Either you support the status quo or you choose to support change.
"Joe Biden to rich donors: "Nothing would fundamentally change" if he's elected"
www.salon.com

Biden to rich donors: "Nothing will fundamentally change"

Along with praise for the "civility" of racists, Biden assures donors "no one's standard of living will change"

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
There are more than two candidates. There is a green party, and you can also write in any candidate of your choice.

"Joe Biden to rich donors: "Nothing would fundamentally change" if he's elected"
www.salon.com

Along with praise for the "civility" of racists, Biden assures donors "no one's standard of living will change"

Surely you can't be THIS naive. Either Donald Trump or Joe Biden WILL be elected president. You are lying to yourself if you think there is any other option. So if you aren't voting for Biden, you are saying making a moral stance is more important that preventing the worst president in our history from being re-elected. It is that simple.

Seraph84

Banned
May 27, 2020
NYC
This country is shit, news at 11.
Agreed. I choose not to legitimize it by voting. The lower the voter turnout, the better imho. Eventually we'll reach a point where people will point to that and say, "wtf, only 10% of the population votes for president? And oh shit, it's the richest 10%? We need to do something about this!"

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Agreed. I choose not to legitimize it by voting. The lower the voter turnout, the better imho. Eventually we'll reach a point where people will point to that and say, "wtf, only 10% of the population votes for president? And oh shit, it's the richest 10%? We need to do something about this!"
Wow.

lush

Oct 26, 2017
Knoxville, TN
I wish we could all live in metropolitan cities within solid blue states, alas. Congrats on the privilege though.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
That's never going to happen. There's not reason to believe voting would ever drop off that much.

discotheque

Dec 23, 2019
I like how you ignored my post and cropped out the stuff in lush's post about how you are clearly wrong about voter disenfranchisement.

wrongway

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely unimpressed with Biden (would've liked Bernie or Warren), but there is absolutely zero question in my mind that he has my vote. Anyone who plays the 'Both Sides' card between him and drumpf... I don't even. The idea of allowing the drumpf to continue is horrific.

oh, and we live in a two-party system btw. Shit is awful and shamefully outdated, but it's the situation we're in. At the very least, we should try to nudge things in the direction of positive change.

Maddness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd vote for a half eaten grilled cheese sandwich if it gets Trump out of office. Fuck everyone who voted or will vote for that piece of shit.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Eric Garner was literally videotaped being choked to death shouting "I can't breathe" during the Obama years. Minnesota has a Democrat governor and this entire police force festered under it.

Like vote for Biden, whatever, but acting like this shit didn't happen and wouldn't happen under a Democrat is laughable.

It's not like a light switch that can be turned on and off. It's existed for generations. The difference is that the Donald Trump's of the world empower white supremacy and systematic racism. Any hope of it going away or paving a brighter future for humanity starts by removing the people in power that actively strengthen it, and would continue to do so.

Oh God.

Oh my fucking God. This is absolutely delusional. Even if the voter turnout could drop that low (it won't), the people in power would do anything to keep it that way. Enjoy your fairy tale.

Seraph84

Banned
May 27, 2020
NYC
I never said or implied you advocated voting republican? That's an actual strawman. And no, lol, it is insanely, unbelievably disingenuous to "both sides" voter disenfranchisment when one party is party is putting up hurdles like Voter ID laws, ending vote by mail and early voting, etc, etc. You realize that a populist candidate is realistically never going to win with those hurdles in place, right?
For the record, I don't think Biden has any chance of beating Trump either way. The centrist democrat has never fared well in recent history.

6E6V3YU.jpg

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
For the record, I don't think Biden has any chance of beating Trump either way. The centrist democrat has never fared well in recent history.
No one who actually understands how insanely good Biden's turnout and demographic numbers during the primary were would say that. He is, based on actual votes, an insanely well-positioned candidate.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sorry, going to have to stop you right here. Did Joe Biden do a 180 and suddenly decide to support M4A while I wasn't looking? Please cite a source that shows Biden supports healthcare for everyone.
So what's your plan for Congress?

In fact what's your plan in general for helping getting M4A passed? It's obviously not with your right to vote, so what else do you do?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

6E6V3YU.jpg

Kerry was the left-flank of the Democratic senate
Gore was boring, but his policy is not centrist. On the environment, Gore was far ahead of his colleagues. When elected, Clinton was considered a liberal-progressive candidate.

Hillary Clinton was more to the center of course, as was Obama in two terms, so that image and point ... I dunno.

lush

Oct 26, 2017
Knoxville, TN
No one who actually understands how insanely good Biden's turnout and demographic numbers during the primary were would say that. He is, based on actual votes, an insanely well-positioned candidate.
As Trump flails doing nothing but crying on Twitter and desperately feeding red meat to his base in the middle of a fucking pandemic that he denies as a hoax. Republicans have full on moved on to the burn it all down stage of their reign with Senate R's already suggesting senior judges step down so they can be backfilled. The writing is on the fucking wall.

Love to discount all polling/primary performances to fit my nihilistic world view.

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
You can't take anything for granted. Go phone bank for Biden and get the word out instead of telling people on the internet that Biden's gonna win.

The problems currently happening have been around forever and haven't stopped regardless of which party is in control of the highest branches of government.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
In this reality, we seem to forget that Obama WAS the centrist candidate from the very start.

And Clinton/Gore won the popular vote but lost in the EC.

Duverger's Law. In a FPTP system there are two candidates.

I want more viable parties as much as anyone but that isn't the choice we have in November.

Oct 2, 2018
so... if you don't vote biden (well, there's really no other choice) and america continues on the alt right trumpian nazi mess...

there's nothing the world can do to save america for years while this poison continues to percolate in your society..

my thoughts from sydney Australia.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Never ceases to amazes me how so-called Progressives always want to take their ball and go home because their preferred candidate didn't win the nom.

Because quitting when things don't go your way will CERTAINLY help the Progressive Movement and sway more people to your side...

At a point we need to call it for what it is.

Anti-intellectualism

POLLS SHOWED THAT HILLARY WOULD WIN! THEY MEAN SHIT!

*Points to how every poll was within their margin of error*

SHUT UP! THEY'RE WRONG AND YOURE AN IDIOT FOR BRINGING THEM UP!

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Over 100k Americans have died due to Trump's negligence and many more will die if he is elected to a 2nd term.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
sure bidens better... but supporting a third candidate and giving them enough support to be taken seriously would probably be better for the country in the long run t this point

Seraph84

Banned
May 27, 2020
NYC
So what's your plan for Congress?

In fact what's your plan in general for helping getting M4A passed? It's obviously not with your right to vote, so what else do you do?
Community organization and solidarity. A movement has to be built from the bottom up, what's it going to take for you folks to realize this top-down bullshit doesn't work, and hasn't worked for the past 50 years?

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Ftimworstall%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F10%2Fwagescompensation-1200x1093.png

1*SoX-KUjt9KSnkajG_CeHnQ.png

sure bidens better... but supporting a third candidate and giving them enough support to be taken seriously would probably be better for the country in the long run t this point
A voice of reason has arrived in the thread. We need a labor MOVEMENT, but I'd settle for a legitimate labor party as a consolation prize.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Community organization and solidarity. A movement has to be built from the bottom up, what's it going to take for you folks to realize this top-down bullshit doesn't work, and hasn't worked for the past 50 years?

FWIW you're completely right about this part at least. More progressives are recognizing that they need to win local offices. School boards matter!

But, again, the answer isn't letting Trump and his cronies win another term BECAUSE THEY WILL DO EVERYTHING THEY CAN TO CRUSH YOUR MOVEMENT. A progressive movement at least has a chance to grow under centrist Democrat rule.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Ftimworstall%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F10%2Fwagescompensation-1200x1093.png

1*SoX-KUjt9KSnkajG_CeHnQ.png

A voice of reason has arrived in the thread. We need a labor MOVEMENT, but I'd settle for a legitimate labor party as a consolation prize.

Your labour party concept has less chance of happening than Donald Trump giving away his wealth to charity. Nevermind that this is the actual worst time for a 3rd party concept in probably American history; it's so polarized right now that Jesus Christ could descend, run as a third party, and get no votes.

While you're working bottom-up on grassroots support for M4A? Maybe think about the tens of millions who would be insured under Biden's mid-ground plan. Because they don't have the years and decades it will take. They're more concerned about getting sick, dying and leaving their families in massive debt.

Last edited:

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Whatever you think about Biden there is certainty that he will have exponentially better people around him than Trump. It won't even be 1/100 as bad. Trump has curated his inner circle to the weakest of yes men that are pretty much complete losers that no one would ever hire but they stroke his ego so they got a job. Bidens administration will be better in every single way.
This really is the biggest unquestionable issue why Trump needs to be removed that really doesn't get the attention it deserves.

Lw3rgmR.jpg

(don't mind the outdated listings like Rick Perry, with the turnover rate it's impossible to find the most up-to-date graphics on this cabinet)

The president is much more than his own seat, and no I'm not referring to the SCOTUS which is similarly important but covered, but the full fucking corrupt administration in charge of these departments of government whether it be the most obvious cases, loyalist theocratic Bill Barr on the fucking DoJ or Betsy Devos making academic life harder for trans students or sexual assault survivors, corrupt and unqualified individuals like Elaine Chao and Ben Carson filling their own pockets or the obvious conservative ideologues on US treasury and commerce.

I've never been a fan of Biden's, I've been rooting against him from the start (maybe not below Butti/Bloomberg/Gabbard), and I believe he's reactive step back in the party - but for good and for bad he's not a strong ideologue that will demand a administration of yesmen to do his bidding.

Also on the stupid argument of accelerationism: it's already been proven not to work. The result of 2016 has led to both parties moving right, the public at large becoming nostalgic for the massive issues they had for *Bush* not even to mention the legitimate criticisms of Obama who is now entirely untouchable or the normalcy of racist 90s era politics.

Seraph84

Banned
May 27, 2020
NYC
But, again, the answer isn't letting Trump and his cronies win another term BECAUSE THEY WILL DO EVERYTHING THEY CAN TO CRUSH YOUR MOVEMENT.
It's incredibly naive to think the democrats wouldn't just as quickly crush any growing proper leftist movement, too.

A capitalist is a capitalist, and when faced with the threat of their power and wealth being taken from them, they will ALWAYS crush any movement, violently if need be.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That was the first name to come to mind, but in these years since most of these...spirited posters have been old enough to care about politics, it's been a tinfoil brigade.

I remember from 2004-2012, Ron Paul always got a shit-ton of love online, which never translated into actual votes come election time.

Some things never change...

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

www.salon.com

You and I both know voting 3rd party in the US is not a viable option.