Strike

Oct 25, 2017
f92722dc-8c0c-401f-b518-45480c068850_text.gif
Glad someone posted this.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
At least it's powered by geothermal energy. Can you imagine the headlines if this was part of the normal power grid or worse… powered by coal or something?

Absolutely begs the question: let's PRETEND the tech gets better and this COULD make a dent, how many places in the world have geothermal energy to tap into to build one of these? Because again, otherwise, you're needing to power it with "dirty" energy. In which case, what's the point?
With recent tech advancements they can be built in more places than you'd think. Check out this recent Ars Technica article. Excerpt:

How new tech is making geothermal energy a more versatile power source

Geothermal has moved beyond being confined to areas with volcanic activity.

Geothermal energy, though it's continuously radiating from Earth's super-hot core, has long been a relatively niche source of electricity, largely limited to volcanic regions like Iceland where hot springs bubble from the ground. But geothermal enthusiasts have dreamed of sourcing Earth power in places without such specific geological conditions—like Project Red's Nevada site, developed by energy startup Fervo Energy.

Such next-generation geothermal systems have been in the works for decades, but they've proved expensive and technologically difficult, and have sometimes even triggered earthquakes. Some experts hope that newer efforts like Project Red may now, finally, signal a turning point, by leveraging techniques that were honed in oil and gas extraction to improve reliability and cost-efficiency.

The advances have garnered hopes that with enough time and money, geothermal power—which currently generates less than 1 percent of the world's electricity, and 0.4 percent of electricity in the United States—could become a mainstream energy source. Some posit that geothermal could be a valuable tool in transitioning the energy system off of fossil fuels, because it can provide a continuous backup to intermittent energy sources like solar and wind. "It's been, to me, the most promising energy source for a long time," says energy engineer Roland Horne of Stanford University. "But now that we're moving towards a carbon-free grid, geothermal is very important."
There are some really interesting diagrams and explanations in the full article, it's worth a read.

there are two things that are true:
  • there's no feasible path towards net-zero that relies solely on direct air capture. relative to like "build more solar" and "switch to zero-emission cement" etc, it's way too expensive and the technology isn't there yet. the fossil fuel companies know this, and support it right now basically as a smokescreen so they can claim they care without having to actually care. (this is similar to why they used to support carbon taxes in the US, because they knew carbon taxes would never pass in the US.)
  • if you want to stop thinking about today's level of warming as "locked in" and unlock the capacity to reverse the harms that are being done on a like less-than-century-long timescale, direct air capture is basically the only game in town. it's an immensely important technology to improve on and will be pivotal later this century. this plant is very important in that regard, because we need to keep iterating on efficiency/scale/etc.
so it's definitely a positive piece of news, but only if taken in the proper context
Bingo.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Of course it's a start. Imagine thinking early solar panels didn't do enough and therefore shouldn't exist. We can assume the technology will improve over time. Yes it's a drop in the bucket today but it may improve to more and more drops.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
I think all it takes is one billionaire to see the big picture and even if it's just for their own lineage's self-preservation. They decide to co own or buy out the tech, charge less than competitors and go big in production of these.

Hopefully a good billionaire and not an evil one that can decide to completely shut off a country or continent's carbon sucker network when they have a hissy fit.

A good billionaire? Those don't exist.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
Cool. Now build ten more! I saw this interview from Obama where he said every small percentage won is the difference between a little bit of extra land being inhabitable. A few more people surviving. Every little bit you can get is valuable. And if this gets bigger and better? Great.

I agree that multiple solutions will be needed for climate change, but not on this particular issue. These carbon capture facilities consume insane amount of power. Power that could be used to offset fossil fuels.

This is located in Iceland, and uses geothermal heat. Power that is readily available in that location, and is not used for anything else. This is literally already using that power to offset fossil fuels. There's no reason not to improve and upscale this tech, as long as other initiatives aren't also developed and looked at.

Even if other companies might try to use this to off set their emissions, the correct response would be to prohibit them from doing so. Not kill the initiative. Otherwise ANY carbon cutting tech is gonna run into that same argument. Which is saying you might as well not even try.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
As much as I hate that we need to build things like this...we do need some of these.

There's too much carbon in the atmosphere to just let it sit even if we get to zero extremely fast. If systems like this can be built and be carbon sinks on whole (meaning they suck out far more carbon than their construction/operation produce) then we'll need them as part of a solution.

Hopefully such systems have very long usable lifespans so a place like Iceland with a large amount of renewable power potential can make a big impact. Impact of this particular one seems pretty marginal, but it's a start.

Article notes the danger of oil companies referencing this as a reason they can keep extracting as is, but I think they're basically like Trump or conspiracy theories - no matter what you do or say they'll find some way to make it a reason they're right, so at some point you need to focus on what's important and not on placating the shits making things worse.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I think there's something to be said about devices that can convert this carbon into something else. I've seen a fair bit of research recently on techniques for converting greenhouse gasses into clean fuels. I don't know how expensive that would be to implement, and I don't know if this stuff can facilitate those kind of outcomes in any way.

But I imagine that if fuel companies were financially incentivized to invest in that kind of technology, that would be a step in the right direction...? Hard to say. I think this work is good in principle and should be researched further.

"All it takes is one vegan tiger"
Oh I'm using this lmfao

May 26, 2023
God you're an idiot
I would argue they are actively harmful due to the energy requirements being so high as to reduce the feasability of solutions that dont require pie in the sky tech advances and can deliver results with a fraction of input energy requirements. Focus the energy these solutions would waste on expanding urban municipal heating and cooling systems, electrified mass transit and decarbonsing agricultural processes.

Undoubtedly. This one seems like a failure off the bat, or at best a proof-of-concept that requires way more iteration and development to become a worthy technology. I just don't know how efficient we can get when it comes to breaking the bonds of oxygen and carbon, it feels like there's a bare minimum effort there that can't be ground down further. I know we're not at peak efficiency, but even then trees essentially do the same thing and are completely solar powered.

The development of 15 minute cities, urban power systems, and mass transit that doesn't suck is probably one of the more important ones, but the majority of pollution is commercial and industrial. While looking for ways to become carbon neutral/negative we should also be looking at ways to better our current situation from all angles.

Crushing capitalism with a boot seems to be the preferred way to deal with it, but that's as pie-in-the-sky as this carbon capture system in its current iteration if we're being honest.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
This.

Imagine thinking that this is bad news.

I mean I'm paraphrasing from a climate scientist which said roughly these technologies are bad because they aren't the solutions, technology is not going to save us. No one is going to be able to roll this tech out in the scale that it needs to and even if they were it would still be dangerous. Because it encourages complacency in governments they think they can just continue pumping out C02 and it will be fine the tech will save us, when it won't. Also there's the ramifications of massive geo engineering projects that this would be required to scale to, the consequences could be worse than global warming. Say for one example there's suddenly a massive power cut of fault in these machines or maybe there's an electromagnetic storm which cuts power, and then there's a sudden massive amount of C02 in the atmosphere. There's enumerable potential ways these technological geo engineering solutions could go wrong and be very bad, whereas the known best solution with the least amount of draw backs is to just cut our emissions. But of course it seems too difficult for us or maybe we should wait for the AGI to solve because that's totally gonna happen.

Oct 27, 2017
Carbon capture has been tested in Canada by conservative prairie governments, and it's been widely seen as a failure.

Oct 26, 2017
I swear, if someone released a handheld device tomorrow that captured all carbon emissions worldwide, you'd still have people saying "but when it inevitably breaks down, we're fucked again, so this changes nothing".

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
Are there any numbers on what the *net* reduction of this thing is? Assuming it takes a shitton of energy to run it.

I'm assuming it doesn't run off renewables but even if it did I don't really care - I think technology like this is mainly viable if it would remove more than it added if it was running on fossil fuels. Because that way you could mass produce them.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any numbers on what the *net* reduction of this thing is? Assuming it takes a shitton of energy to run it.

I'm assuming it doesn't run off renewables but even if it did I don't really care - I think technology like this is mainly viable if it would remove more than it added if it was running on fossil fuels. Because that way you could mass produce them.
This plant is running off of geothermal energy, so while there is undoubtedly a carbon deficit from its production its on-going operation shouldn't involve burning fossil fuels.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
7800 vehicles? There are 1.47 billion vehicles on earth, not factoring in heavy duty which emits far far more per vehicle. and alllll of that only accounts for about a quarter of global emissions. Most of it comes from manufacture, steel refinement, construction etc.

you would need to fill basically the entirety of greenland with these things, and rig them up to an equivalent amount of solar panels for this to have the desired effect

or we could just stop buying useless shit and ruining the world through endless and mind fuckingly pointless consumption and stop pinning our hopes on even more gizmos to save us from ourselves

sorry this post triggered me. its just that this thing ain't shit.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Like giving a lung transplant to someone that doesn't want to stop smoking, or rather, with the new lungs has a good excuse to smoke even more.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017

practically none, research and development is moving towards using the carbon directly for chemicals, as chemical synthesis is also extremely energy intensive. furthermore, if we also want to use highly relevant infrastructures, e.g. airplanes, they need synthetic fuel from carbon-neutral or better carbon-negative sources. these capture devices would be carbon-negative as a source and completely carbon-neutral when the plane flies.
the other alternative is to use usable land for biomass. we are already killing 60% of our arable land for meat to gain 5% worth of calories and 10% for biofuel to drive stupidly large suvs and trucks so governments can greenwash co2 emissions for homeopathic effects.
and another 10% for other resources like cotton.

blue_whale

Nov 1, 2017
Napkin math does not work for these types of projects. Built to part naive investors of their money. We can not consume and build ourselves out of this carbon dioxide problem.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Does it make any sense to make coal companies (or any other companies releasing pollution into the air) capture carbon directly at the source, like capturing all that black smoke instead of releasing it into the air? Is that feasible?

Tony72495

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Does it make any sense to make coal companies (or any other companies releasing pollution into the air) capture carbon directly at the source, like capturing all that black smoke instead of releasing it into the air? Is that feasible?

Depends on how viably this method scales.

Lilly-Anne

Feb 14, 2024
What? Of course this is a positive development. A person would be foolish to think it is not.
There's nothing positive about this. It cost a lot more energy to capture this carbon than the energy used to emit said carbon. That geothermal energy could have gone to actual people and to practical uses, thereby actually reducinf new carbon emissions,instead of being nothing but a performative show off to pump some VCs companies which will never accomplish anything of worth.

blue_whale

Nov 1, 2017
The best carbon capture, is to not utilize this type of energy in the first place. Coal reserves are literally ancient carbon capture that have been trapped away from our ecosphere for millennia. About the pollution in the air, it's kind of the point actually. You are releasing CO2 + energy in the combustion reaction. Anything to do less CO2 means less net energy. I just sort of did a brief search and unfortunately it looks like CO2 really is quite a stable molecule, there's not much you can do for free to avoid it and anything you do to produce less or create some intermediary should mean taking some efficiency out of your power plant.

Tony72495

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
There's nothing positive about this. It cost a lot more energy to capture this carbon than the energy used to emit said carbon. That geothermal energy could have gone to actual people and to practical uses, thereby actually reducinf new carbon emissions,instead of being nothing but a performative show off to pump some VCs companies which will never accomplish anything of worth.

The reality is that carbon capture may well become an inevitable and essential part of climate change reduction, surely we have to start somewhere?

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think all it takes is one billionaire to see the big picture and even if it's just for their own lineage's self-preservation. They decide to co own or buy out the tech, charge less than competitors and go big in production of these.

Hopefully a good billionaire and not an evil one that can decide to completely shut off a country or continent's carbon sucker network when they have a hissy fit.

There's a 4 way intersection with a $100 bill right in the middle, and down each of the four roads stand a different person: A good billionaire, an evil billionaire, Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. This is a serious exercise. It's like an SAT question. Which one is going to get to the hundred dollar bill first?

Correct answer: the Evil Billionaire, because the other three are figments of your fuckin' imagination!

/Chasing Amy

StuKen

Oct 27, 2017
The reality is that carbon capture may well become an inevitable and essential part of climate change reduction, surely we have to start somewhere?
The reality reality is that to go net negative via ccs would require the construction of renewable energy sources on a scale that would dwarf the entire power output of the world since the invention of the steam engine. Thats 250 years of steam, coal, hydro, nuclear, everything.

The scale is so astronomical and the incentive structures built into our economic systems so misaligned it's a fantasy for a centurys time, if we survive and we shrink the 30 years in fusion is 30 years away. Both are long shots :)

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
jesus christ bunch of negative nancies in here.

if i had more time id check post history for people saying we should plant more trees to off set carbon. talk about " pissing in the ocean" a single tree can absorb 48lbs of carbon per year.

but this thing is a failure and useless.

yes we need to reduce emissions completely and go with green, renewable solutions. but that doesnt eliminate the already existing carbon in the atmosphere.

Lilly-Anne

Feb 14, 2024
I honestly can't even begin to explain how insanely far we are from ever achieving efficient carbon capture. We will achieve nuclear fusion en masse a hundred years before we figure out efficient carbon capture. And that's being optimistic that we will figure it out at all. There's a reason this being pushed by companies, not scientists.

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
It's neat tech. I'm sure whenever saving the world becomes profitable it'll pick up some steam—if we're still alive before then.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
The reality reality is that to go net negative via ccs would require the construction of renewable energy sources on a scale that would dwarf the entire power output of the world since the invention of the steam engine. Thats 250 years of steam, coal, hydro, nuclear, everything.

The scale is so astronomical and the incentive structures built into our economic systems so misaligned it's a fantasy for a centurys time, if we survive and we shrink the 30 years in fusion is 30 years away. Both are long shots :)
The idea isn't that CCS will offset 100% of emissions, it's that it can eventually handle legacy emissions and offset the 10-20% of things that cannot be decarbonized soon or ever.

Tony72495

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
The idea isn't that CCS will offset 100% of emissions, it's that it can eventually handle legacy emissions and offset the 10-20% of things that cannot be decarbonized soon or ever.

Of course, I don't know if anyone would reasonably be able to suggest that we should just pollute at 2010-2020 levels forever, and just capture it all, that would be patently insane and impossible.

Lilly-Anne

Feb 14, 2024
jesus christ bunch of negative nancies in here.

if i had more time id check post history for people saying we should plant more trees to off set carbon. talk about " pissing in the ocean" a single tree can absorb 48lbs of carbon per year.

but this thing is a failure and useless.

yes we need to reduce emissions completely and go with green, renewable solutions. but that doesnt eliminate the already existing carbon in the atmosphere.
For carbon capture to be worth it, you'd need the entire world to already be 100% covered by renewables, and then some . Otherwise it's a literal net negative.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
This shit isn't positive news. It's more carbon offset bullshit that'll never make it to scale. It's green capitalist nonsense that will just lead to more emissions and further reductions in steps that actually matter.

Before someone says "every little bit counts!", no, no it actually doesn't, and before someone says "it will be paired with carbon reduction to remove the existing emissions", no, it won't.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
We're at the point where shit like this is the only way we're going to be able to put a dent in climate change.

Yes, it sucks that we couldn't get the world to cut carbon emissions. We can piss and moan and complain that corporations are ruining the planet, but relishing in the moral high ground over potential mass extinction is utterly fucking stupid and doesn't make you look cool.

Ash_Greytree

Oct 31, 2023
I don't want to die because of climate change. We are going to have to use a whole lot of tools to help keep people alive as climate change's negative effects intensify and mitigate the worst of it. This is one of those tools. I want to know what the tools are that the people who are negative on this carbon capture tech want us to use instead of adding this technology to our toolbelt alongside everything else. Be they legal tools, technological tools, etc.

We need to get CO2 out of the air. Trees and shrubs and grass and other plants can only do so much. Carbon Capture Technology that can scale up and run off of renewable energy while we also start running more and more of our other societal infrastructure on renewable energy is good.

Palas

Oct 29, 2017
We need to get CO2 out of the air. Trees and shrubs and grass and other plants can only do so much.

"If you wanted to invent the most effective kind of climate management technology from the ground up, you could spend a lot of time trying to do that. You would just engineer a tree," said Brian Stone Jr., director of the Urban Climate Lab at the Georgia Institute of Technology.

It is, in fact, carbon capture techs that can only do so much. The thing is, trees don't turn in profits. If, overnight, all governments decided to bring back forest coverage to -- say -- their pre-industrial levels, expropriating extensive agriculture on the way, we would be better off.

What? That isn't feasible? Oh, but waiting for a technology that we know to take much more energy than it can possibly save to become scalable and cheap is very much feasible, right? The United States could shut down a coal plant like today. Only one. It could afford to take the losses when solar grids make so much energy its prices becomes negative. But somehow, that's never on the table. No, we have to cheer on empty promises because "each square meter counts". Interesting, things that could be done by governments that exist today don't count. These are the "perfect", as if unobtainable.

Last edited:

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
I swear, if someone released a handheld device tomorrow that captured all carbon emissions worldwide, you'd still have people saying "but when it inevitably breaks down, we're fucked again, so this changes nothing".

Yep. Everything that isn't immediately solving it is garbage. Like we had the Sony plant trees for Horizon achievement thing and half the posts were Sony can afford to plant way more trees than this what a bunch of bullshit.

Well of course but it's a cooler initiative than almost anything else they could have done with the game so why not at the minimum say that's cool or ignore it.

I swear someone could share the steps they have taking individually to reduce their use and someone on here would ignore all that users changes just to scream out "you're still taking a 3 minute hot shower?!"

Mar 28, 2024
dunno, they inject it underground but i don't believe it stays there
also, who's paying for this? are they operating for profit?

i dunno, just plant plants

Ash_Greytree

Oct 31, 2023
It is, in fact, carbon capture techs that can only do so much. The thing is, trees don't turn in profits.
Carbon Capture Tech isn't perfect. Trees are not perfect either. They're a carbon capture system that is vulnerable to a lot of weather, vulnerable to fire, and also vulnerable to parasites, disease, and more. We need as many tools as possible. Plant a lot of trees and we can let them reach their full CO2-gathering maturity, and we can also work on scaling up carbon capture technology. We need to throw everything we can at this issue.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Carbon Capture Tech isn't perfect. Trees are not perfect either. They're a carbon capture system that is vulnerable to a lot of weather, vulnerable to fire, and also vulnerable to parasites, disease, and more. We need as many tools as possible. Plant a lot of trees and we can let them reach their full CO2-gathering maturity, and we can also work on scaling up carbon capture technology. We need to throw everything we can at this issue.

I think the issue for me is that they should have been building these things decades ago and building 1, right now feels like giving someone an aspirin after they've been burnt to near death. If there were ten thousand of these in production I think this would be bigger news.