SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
They say it the equivalent of taking 7800 cars off the road per year but how many cars does it take to run this thing?
I think the issue for me is that they should have been building these things decades ago and building 1, right now feels like giving someone an aspirin after they've been burnt to near death. If there were ten thousand of these in production I think this would be bigger news.
Honestly, we could have dealt with this back in the 90's but capitalism said "No."

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
dunno, they inject it underground but i don't believe it stays there
also, who's paying for this? are they operating for profit?

i dunno, just plant plants
Theoretically it gets converted into rocks - basically speeding up one of our planet's natural forms of carbon sequestration. Their funding is a mix of government grants and corporations looking for ways to offset future or legacy emissions. Climeworks website answers a lot of these questions pretty clearly. Whether it's all accurate is an open question, of course, but when I looked into it in the past Climeworks was a lot less sketchy than some of the other DAC+S companies. It's been interesting keeping an eye on them.

Are there any numbers on what the *net* reduction of this thing is? Assuming it takes a shitton of energy to run it.

I'm assuming it doesn't run off renewables but even if it did I don't really care - I think technology like this is mainly viable if it would remove more than it added if it was running on fossil fuels. Because that way you could mass produce them.
I was guessing earlier, but it turns out Climeworks has a page about this.

They say it the equivalent of taking 7800 cars off the road per year but how many cars does it take to run this thing?
See the above page - it runs off of geothermal energy and theoretically off-sets much more carbon than it creates.

I think the issue for me is that they should have been building these things decades ago and building 1, right now feels like giving someone an aspirin after they've been burnt to near death. If there were ten thousand of these in production I think this would be bigger news.
According to the IEA there are 130 large scale plants currently in development. They say:
Twenty-seven DAC plants have been commissioned to date worldwide, capturing almost 0.01 Mt CO2/year. Plans for at least large-scale (> 1000 tonnes CO2 pear year) 130 DAC facilities are now at various stages of development.1 If all were to advance (even those only at the concept stage), DAC deployment would nearly reach the level required in 2030 under the Net Zero Emissions by 2050 (NZE) Scenario, or around 65 MtCO2/year. Lead times for DAC plants range from two to six years, suggesting that deployment in line with the NZE Scenario could be achieved with adequate policy support. However, most of the facilities announced to date are at very early stages of development, and cannot be expected to reach final investment decision (FID) and operational status without continued development of market mechanisms and policies to create demand for the CO2 removal service they would provide.
I'm skeptical that all of those plants will get to the operational stage but I guess we'll see.

HarryHengst

Oct 27, 2017
jesus christ bunch of negative nancies in here.

if i had more time id check post history for people saying we should plant more trees to off set carbon. talk about " pissing in the ocean" a single tree can absorb 48lbs of carbon per year.

but this thing is a failure and useless.

yes we need to reduce emissions completely and go with green, renewable solutions. but that doesnt eliminate the already existing carbon in the atmosphere.
Can you plant more than 790 trees on the same area that this machine needs? If so, trees are a better plan lmao.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
How does this company make money? Do they sell some byproduct or something?

Obviously without scale, this tech won't do much to help with our carbon emissions problem. And few corporations are interested in scale if there is no profit to be had

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
How does this company make money? Do they sell some byproduct or something.

Obviously without scale, this tech won't do much to help with our carbon emissions problem. And few corporations are interested in scale if there is no profit to be had
A mix of corporate and government funding:
Mammoth, the largest industrial facility yet built to filter carbon dioxide out of the air, just powered up in Hellisheiði, Iceland. It's run by Swiss climate tech company Climeworks, whose clients include JPMorgan Chase, Microsoft, Stripe, and Shopify, among others.
The industry gets a lot of policy support in the US, with the Biden administration funneling $3.5 billion of federal funds from the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law into developing at least four DAC hubs.

Two large projects have been selected so far to receive up to $1.2 billion of funding. That includes an initiative in Calcasieu Parish, Louisiana using DAC technology from Climeworks and a California-based startup called Heirloom Carbon Technologies. Microsoft is already one of the first customers for that Louisiana hub. Each federally funded hub is supposed to have the capacity to capture at least a million metric tons of CO2 a year. Climeworks set up a new headquarters in Austin, Texas earlier this year to speed up growth in the US.
From The Verge

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
f92722dc-8c0c-401f-b518-45480c068850_text.gif

Sorry just driving by to make sure this was the first post.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
We should take this technology and bioengineer some sort of self-replicating device that can fix carbon from the atmosphere and then let it loose on the earth. Maybe have it use the carbon to make more of itself or something. Idk, just spitballing here.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
A lot of people are hung up on the idea that we'd need a million of these to capture and sequester the world's annual carbon output, as though China isn't building something like 140,000 new coal-fired power plants right now.

The conditions to make this model work well are much rarer than a coal facility (you can ship coal pretty much anywhere if you want, versus needing a lot of geothermal and other power sources here) but if the world wanted to build a million carbon capture facilities, it could. It's not likely, for a bunch of reasons, but it's definitely theoretically possible.

Efreeti

Jul 5, 2019
If for starters the US and Europe moved to regenerative agriculture, the gains would be so massive we wouldn't need any machines. That, greener cities everywhere, no more individual cars, and degrowth are the real solutions. We can't go on increasing production and killing the environment, as long as we don't change that nothing helps, certainly not dubious machines.

We should take this technology and bioengineer some sort of self-replicating device that can fix carbon from the atmosphere and then let it loose on the earth. Maybe have it use the carbon to make more of itself or something. Idk, just spitballing here.
We already have those! Plants, trees, plankton... are self-replicating carbon capture devices! These are more efficient than any machines we make. They are also enough. If capitalists wouldn't literally set the forests on fire to make a buck. Because that's the real issue. You can't plant a tree and then next to you they're chopping half the rain forest, we need to stop them doing that.

Palas

Oct 29, 2017
Carbon Capture Tech isn't perfect. Trees are not perfect either. They're a carbon capture system that is vulnerable to a lot of weather, vulnerable to fire, and also vulnerable to parasites, disease, and more. We need as many tools as possible. Plant a lot of trees and we can let them reach their full CO2-gathering maturity, and we can also work on scaling up carbon capture technology. We need to throw everything we can at this issue.

Here is the thing: they aren't just carbon capture systems. They're local weather regulators, biodiversity protectors, water cycle stabilizers, soil nurturers, water body rergulators etc. Yes, they're vulnerable, but they're the very things you want to grow naturally if you're successful in carbon capturing in the first place.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Won't the planet eventually blow up if they continually shift it towards the earth's core

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
We already have those! Plants, trees, plankton... are self-replicating carbon capture devices! These are more efficient than any machines we make. They are also enough. If capitalists wouldn't literally set the forests on fire to make a buck. Because that's the real issue. You can't plant a tree and then next to you they're chopping half the rain forest, we need to stop them doing that.

(that's what I was getting at XP. I'm a biologist.)

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Honestly a good thing. We'll never reduce our emissions enough to combat climate change, it's just never going to happen. So why not be proactive and fix the atmosphere directly? Hopefully we get many more of these facilities out there.

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
Here is the thing: they aren't just carbon capture systems. They're local weather regulators, biodiversity protectors, water cycle stabilizers, soil nurturers, water body rergulators etc. Yes, they're vulnerable, but they're the very things you want to grow naturally if you're successful in carbon capturing in the first place.
"From the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh, it disgusted me. I craved the strength and certainty of steel. I aspired to the purity of the Blessed Machine."

Or something.

Ash_Greytree

Oct 31, 2023
Yes. I think we should be doing everything possible. Plant trees and nurture our current forests, and scale up carbon capture technology. Putting the technology at odds with the planting of trees like we can only do one or the other bothers me a lot.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
37.15 billion tons of CO2 got added to the atmosphere in 2022, and rising. 2 billion tons get sequestered every year.

Even with hundreds or thousands of facilities like this, the technology needs to scale ten to hundredfold if we were to have hope of it making a dent. But even if the facility became ten times more effective and we build, say, ten thousand of them, that would still only capture 3.6 billion tons per year. Long term it might be a fantastic solution, but nothing we can pin our hopes on right now. But building a few thousand of these plants might be necessary in the short term in order to help stymie the almost 40 billion tons of CO2 that get added a year.

Without also reducing our carbon output and increasing natural carbon capture, though, this technology will essentially be worthless.

Last edited:

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
I think all it takes is one billionaire to see the big picture and even if it's just for their own lineage's self-preservation. They decide to co own or buy out the tech, charge less than competitors and go big in production of these.

Hopefully a good billionaire and not an evil one that can decide to completely shut off a country or continent's carbon sucker network when they have a hissy fit.

"Good billionaire" is today's "benevolent dictator". Yes, in theory these individuals could solve a lot of the problems inherent in bureaucracy and democratic governance. But the problem is that it's an ideal that doesn't exist in reality. Human nature makes it dangerous and ultimately unworkable to give an individual that much power.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
As much as I don't want to give these kinds of projects the benefit of the doubt, and don't think anyone should, we can't expect this sort of tech to be running at its ideal efficiency and effectiveness on the first go. The "bad" first attempt is necessary in all things before we land on something efficient.

It's kind of like the electric cars thing. Yeah, producing a brand new electric car for every consumer is worse than those same consumers buying used gas powered cars. But ultimately, cars have a finite lifespan and it's better to have more EVs on the road than stick to petrol powered cars. And yeah, ideally public transit and small people-powered vehicles will get the job done. But people will still want cars. So they might as well be electric. And not every grid is clean, but over time more and more of them are. And as EVs become the norm, production processes will become more efficient.

If this type of facility can capture more carbon than it produces, even if it takes 10 years or something, that's a net positive. Is one facility like using a thimble to drain a lake? Sure. Should we just plant trees instead? Maybe. But if facilities like this become common, they will most likely become more efficient and more effective. Especially if there's a byproduct to be sold. So while we this may be like draining a lake with a thimble now, if we never try to do that we won't figure out how to use a bucket to drain a lake, or figure out how to start pumping the lake into huge tanks on the backs of trucks (this metaphor is getting a bit out of hand...).

I don't think we should just blindly accept this as "climate change is being solved!", but on the longer arc of the planet we may need this kind of thing for the world to not completely suck in 100 years. Because as much as "capitalism should just stop and everyone should go vegan" sounds good, it's just not going to happen.

But hey, maybe people being doomers and hating stuff like this is needed for people to continue to ask for better and not just sit back and think everything is going to be fine because carbon capture exists.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Feb 25, 2018
A lot of folks don't read before posting. Not even the quoted parts. Amazing.

The equivalent of 7800 cars. Annually. This could be scaled up. In the situation we are in, I take this as a win. There are no miracle cure, we need everything. We need to cut emissions quickly, but we also need carbon capture.

This is true. But only the right tree, at the right place. In some cases, they can do more harm than good. Mosses capture even more carbon than forests.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Good lord the whining in this thread.

Yes, it's beyond small scale. How do people think CCU deployment will work? How will *any* climate anything work? Because I've a hint: not all at once. Obviously this doesn't fix it by itself. Obviously, there is still more work to do with mitigation, especially getting existing carbon out of the atmosphere. You think trees will solve it? A tree can absorb 48 lbs of CO2 a year. A car produces, on average, ~4.5 tons of CO2 a year. This thing can absorb the effect of 7.8k cars or roughly the effect of one and a half million trees. Somehow I suspect people whining about this wouldn't be whining about 1.5M trees being planted as "it's not enough!", and something tells me this plant takes up less area than 1.5M trees...

Like this is unequivocally a good thing. Anything which net reduces carbon in the air is a good thing, even if it's the slimmest of margins, and even if that margin is small in comparison to the scope of the issue. But of course, then it's greenwashing, the excesses of capitalism, the insistence that this will be the end of attempts to fix anything, etc etc.

Last edited:

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
But hey, maybe people being doomers and hating stuff like this is needed for people to continue to ask for better and not just sit back and think everything is going to be fine because carbon capture exists.
The reason why people are 'doomers' about projects like these is because the world isn't changing any of its other behaviours and are basically hoping for tech solutionism to solve a problem.

In the other thread about capitism being terrible, someone brought up colbalt mines and the terrible human cost in the Congo that is required to create batteries for EVs and other products. Like, EVs are a solution if you don't care about actual slavery required to extract the minerals to produce them. It's the lack of thinking of the entire ecosystem that creates this type of cynicism, because it reads as hypocrisy if you're building these carbon capture devices but also simultaneously increasing oil production.

Macam

Nov 8, 2018
Cute.
https://futurism.com/the-byte/worlds-largest-suck-carbon-atmosphere

I was wondering if someone was going to do something like this to help combat climate change. honestly if we are going to be able to terraform other planets, why not turn that tech inwards and do it with the one we already have.

Manmoth is a semi-appropriate name, but less for a matter of scale and more because it's a basically white elephant project.

And we are terraforming this plant and have been for thousands of years. We're just in the process of making it increasingly far less hospitable to humanity, let alone all the other species we share this planet with.

Palas

Oct 29, 2017
Good lord the whining in this thread.

Yes, it's beyond small scale. How do people think CCU deployment will work? How will *any* climate anything work? Because I've a hint: not all at once. Obviously this doesn't fix it by itself. Obviously, there is still more work to do with mitigation, especially getting existing carbon out of the atmosphere. You think trees will solve it? A tree can absorb 48 lbs of CO2 a year. A car produces, on average, ~4.5 tons of CO2 a year. This thing can absorb the effect of 7.8k cars or roughly the effect of one and a half million trees. Somehow I suspect people whining about this wouldn't be whining about 1.5M trees being planted as "it's not enough!", and something tells me this plant takes up less area than 1.5M trees...

Like this is unequivocally a good thing. Anything which net reduces carbon in the air is a good thing, even if it's the slimmest of margins, and even if that margin is small in comparison to the scope of the issue. But of course, then it's greenwashing, the excesses of capitalism, the insistence that this will be the end of attempts to fix anything, etc etc.

1.5 million trees! Wow. That's a lot! I wonder how much one would need to curb deforestation to achieve the same results...

trees-cut-down-deforestation-infographic.png

...About 3% of a day of deforestation worldwide. Now which is more scalable in the short, medium or long run? If you could stop deforestation in the Amazon for single day, it would achieve the same net results as what that plant can do for a year. "We can do both" and why aren't we then? Is it because we live in a globalized system that justifies 42 million trees being cut down every single day on the grounds that some day somehow an industrial project will be scalable and efficient enough to offset this?

...Nah, it's because every square meter of habitable land matters... for those who can buy it anyway.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
1.5 million trees! Wow. That's a lot! I wonder how much one would need to curb deforestation to achieve the same results...

trees-cut-down-deforestation-infographic.png

...About 3% of a day of deforestation worldwide. Now which is more scalable in the short, medium or long run? If you could stop deforestation in the Amazon for single day, it would achieve the same net results as what that plant can do for a year. "We can do both" and why aren't we then? Is it because we live in a globalized system that justifies 42 million trees being cut down every single day because some day somehow an industrial project will be scalable and efficient enough to offset this?

...Nah, it's because every square meter of habitable land matters... for those who can buy it anyway.
Oh wow, a drop in the bucket! I had no idea! I guess that means it's better to not do anything, not try any solutions, and not plant trees. I mean, after all, if we can't plant 42 million trees a day, what's even the point in trying anything? Shame that this company is also the one doing the deforestation or something. A shame also that they claim is the complete end of the climate crisis and have told everyone else to stop doing anything to mitigate things.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, a drop in the bucket! I had no idea! I guess that means it's better to not do anything, not try any solutions, and not plant trees. I mean, after all, if we can't plant 42 million trees a day, what's even the point in trying anything? Shame that this company is also the one doing the deforestation or something.
The point is that we actually know the solutions. The problem is that no one wants to give up their current quality of life to implement those solutions, so it is what it is.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
The point is that we actually know the solutions. The problem is that no one wants to give up their current quality of life to implement those solutions, so it is what it is.
Right, and in the meantime, we do this, and everything else we can thing of - which still doesn't make this, as some people seem to be thinking, a bad thing.

Until I see some material from this company claiming that theirs is the sole solution, then all the whining towards them remains comically misplaced. Governments using it as cover? Bad. Companies using it as cover? Bad. People using it as cover? Bad. But those entities will do/have done that for anything and everything, while the reality remains that anything actually practical towards an end - anything at all - will inherently be many, many, many, many small efforts alongside the efforts of a handful of large supranational entities beyond the purview of this thread.

And so in the meantime, this? Net positive. Like what exactly is the argument against this effort in particular? Oil company looking into it for offsets? Welcome to climate politics. They've done that with literally everything ever done on this front ever, but somehow I didn't see, say, people pushing back that the Paris Accords will spur oil companies with just as large a countereffort (as well they shouldn't have). Oil producers will take literally any chance they get, but Climeworks doesn't make the laws. So is it that this group is not, I don't know, literally laying out a new climate convention? They're not a national body; what big sweeping changes do people expect?

All of which makes the many, many posts opposed to specifically this effort and not, say, other groups come across as intensely goofy.

Last edited:

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Right, and in the meantime, we do this, and everything else we can thing of - which still doesn't make this, as some people seem to be thinking, a bad thing.
The 'bad thing' comes when people think they don't need to change because this technology exists, as mentioned in the OP's article. The fact that oil companies are bullish on this technology should be enough of a red flag at least, like cigarette companies investing in vapes.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
The 'bad thing' comes when people think they don't need to change because this technology exists, as mentioned in the OP's article. The fact that oil companies are bullish on this technology should be enough of a red flag at least, like cigarette companies investing in vapes.
And that's on other entities, while the same can be said for literally any climate action ever taken. Certainly any action possible within the control of a non-lawmaking group like this one.

Palas

Oct 29, 2017
So here's the reverse question: what is it about this effort that makes it so worthy of the defense of you all? If I made a thread saying "Deforestation exactly today is 3% lower than the same day last year -- the rest of every day this year was exactly the same", would you be so incredibly eager to defend this as an unequivocal victory of humankind, one that merits so much praise? Or would you be calling for this to be done every single day, immediately, because 3% of a single day isn't nearly enough for a matter as pressing and urgent as climate catastrophe?

This "it adds up" mentality that negates how urgent and dramatic is the action we need -- because one day shilling for companies is, in fact, one day not mobilizing for decisive action in your community or country -- is just "what if everyone showered for two fewer minutes than they would otherwise and avoided meat on Mondays" for companies.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
So here's the reverse question: what is it about this effort that makes it so worthy of the defense of you all? If I made a thread saying "Deforestation exactly today is 3% lower than the same day last year -- the rest of every day this year was exactly the same", would you be so incredibly eager to defend this as an unequivocal victory of humankind, one that merits so much praise? Or would you be calling for this to be done every single day, immediately, because 3% of a single day isn't nearly enough for a matter as pressing and urgent as climate catastrophe?
It's more like "cutting down one tree saves 1.1 trees". The hope is that eventually the process gets more efficient and cutting down 1 tree would save 2 trees, then maybe 5, then maybe 20. But if we stop cutting down 1 tree to save 1.1 because cutting down trees is always bad, we'll never get there.

Convoluted analogy but I hope it makes some sense.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Carbon offset programs have been a net *loss* to the fight against carbon levels, because they're a way to pay to make your numbers on paper look better that are cheaper than actually just doing better. And they *inevitably* end/fail. They are literally *worse* than nothing, because real carbon emissions will increase alongside the capture methods, until we stop bothering with capturing. Then you get a sudden shock to the system with new record outputs. It's not unwarranted pessimism or letting perfect be the enemy of good. These *will* cause more harm than doing literally nothing.

It's not possible to tech our way out of the problem. This is literally the AI gun scanners of climate change, and the "every little bit helps" is the recycling plastics lie of climate science.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017

This "it adds up" mentality that negates how urgent and dramatic is the action we need -- because one day shilling for companies is, in fact, one day not mobilizing for decisive action in your community or country -- is just "what if everyone showered for two fewer minutes than they would otherwise and avoided meat on Mondays" for companies.
Well, I can tell you I'd most definitely be dunking on people who say one day of 3% reduction in deforestation is bad, is greenwashing, is capitalism run amok, and so on. Small companies and people, turns out, aren't governments and can only do so much, and until said megacorps/governments do start moving with more urgency, yeah 3% reduction is pretty unequivocally a win. A huge win? No, but I never said that, never said other efforts shouldn't also happen, and wouldn't call a few forum posts as "championing mankind" or whatever. I'll take any improvement I can get from anywhere, and my sentiment is one far more opposed to Giant Step Doomers than it is positive feelings towards this particular project.

Last edited:

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
This is not positive, it's corporate greenwashing.

I'm not sure how much these facilities cost but if corporate green washing funds were poured into this, assuming it works of course, that could be a major tipping point.

Much better use of those funds than the sleight of hand green washing.

Ash_Greytree

Oct 31, 2023
I just want to know what "Quality Of Life" means. What is everyone going to be giving up in the short term, the medium term, and the long term to help fight climate change? What "Quality Of Life" items beyond red meat and fish and off-season fruit and cars and stuff like one-day Amazon shipping are people going to be giving up?

Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one who read the article to see what the numbers look like?

This thing removes 36,000 tons of carbon every year. For reference, this is what the per capita CO2 emissions numbers look like for US, Japan, and France:

ourworldindata.org

Per capita CO₂ emissions

Carbon dioxide (CO₂) emissions from fossil fuels and industry. Land-use change is not included.

France is about 5 tons CO2. Japan around 9 tons. US at 15 tons.

That's specifically the CO2 footprint while this machine stores everything as pure carbon (it seems). Since CO2 has a molecular weight of 44 g/mole and carbon is about 12 g/mole, we can take the ratio of 44/12 = 3.67 and multiply it by the 36k tons it can store every year.

36000*3.67 = 132,000 tons of CO2 erased.

Using French numbers since they have the lowest CO2 footprint of any first-world nation I can find:
132,000/5=26,400

So this whole facility only "erases" the CO2 output of at most 26,400 French people. The article also mentions the cost per ton:
But the process isn't cheap. While Climeworks didn't reveal the exact cost, each ton of carbon costs close to $1,000 to remove, CNN reports. To make the process economically feasible, that cost would have to sink closer to $100 a ton, something that Climeworks co-founder Jan Wurzbacher says would be possible by around 2050.

The idea has also caught on in the US, with startup Occidental announcing plans to build an even bigger DAC facility called STRATOS last year, which is designed to suck up 500,000 tons of CO2 per year.

So right now, it's costing roughly $5000 (~ €4600) per year per person to clean up the pollution for the average French person. Their hope is that the tech will scale or become more efficient so that maybe the cost would go down by 10X.

With US numbers, current GDP per capita is about $60k so this would be roughly 25% of the average gross earnings with the hope of going down to 2.5%.

Even if they get all the costs down, we would need to build a few thousand facilities like this and run them for about a century to zero out all of our carbon output since the industrial revolution.

I guess the only point I can find here is that these numbers and time scales are huge and it will take a long time to fix the climate disaster. Also, it feels like we will be going through the storm rather than around it. Some people will consider that defeatist but I think it's best to accept that it will be bad and to plan for it since this is the next 100-200 years of our society.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
Even if they get all the costs down, we would need to build a few thousand facilities like this and run them for about a century to zero out all of our carbon output since the industrial revolution.

But this is not something we really need to do, right? I mean it's be nice but we really should just be targeting "not the end of the world" for the foreseeable future?

Lilly-Anne

Feb 14, 2024

Until I see some material from this company claiming that theirs is the sole solution, then all the whining towards them remains comically misplaced. Governments using it as cover? Bad. Companies using it as cover? Bad. People using it as cover? Bad. But those entities will do/have done that for anything and everything, while the reality remains that anything actually practical towards an end - anything at all - will inherently be many, many, many, many small efforts alongside the efforts of a handful of large supranational entities beyond the purview of this thread.

And so in the meantime, this? Net positive. Like what exactly is the argument against this effort in particular? Oil company looking into it for offsets? Welcome to climate politics. They've done that with literally everything ever done on this front ever, but somehow I didn't see, say, people pushing back that the Paris Accords will spur oil companies with just as large a countereffort (as well they shouldn't have). Oil producers will take literally any chance they get, but Climeworks doesn't make the laws. So is it that this group is not, I don't know, literally laying out a new climate convention? They're not a national body; what big sweeping changes do people expect?

All of which makes the many, many posts opposed to specifically this effort and not, say, other groups come across as intensely goofy.
That's the issue. This is a bad thing. This is a net negative. A huge waste of energy that could have gone to preventing 15 times the emissions this captured. This exists solely to make some VCs rich, nothing else.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Carbon capture is tech bro cope, we are not going to innovate our way out of our current predicament. The efficiency isn't there and it won't develop fast enough to matter.

Oct 27, 2017
But this is not something we really need to do, right? I mean it's be nice but we really should just be targeting "not the end of the world" for the foreseeable future?
I'm not a meteorologist so I don't know exactly how bad the different scenarios look like. If we immediately stopped all CO2 today, would the planet still be warm enough for sea levels to continue rising as the icebergs that broke off continue to melt? Would we have worse and worse "rare" weather phenomena happening regularly? I don't know.

I think the most important thing is to convert our grid and personal transportation to zero-carbon immediately and following that, carbon capture probably makes sense as a very long-term strategy. I don't know if both things are required to keep our planet livable.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
"Don't do anything unless it solves everything immediately. Instead, let's just hope the better angels of human nature prevail and we suddenly snap to the realization that we should probably start doing all that stuff they've been telling us we should do to keep the world from burning for the last 40 years. You know, the stuff we've collectively barely acted upon in those 40 years."

Palas

Oct 29, 2017
"Don't do anything unless it solves everything immediately. Instead, let's just hope the better angels of human nature prevail and we suddenly snap to the realization that we should probably start doing all that stuff they've been telling us we should do to keep the world from burning for the last 40 years. You know, the stuff we've collectively barely acted upon in those 40 years."

Yeah... how's that carbon credit treating ya btw