KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty in line with OP: Fantastic Mr. Fox, Into the Spider-Verse. For Japanese films maybe Only Yesterday.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
otoh

Fantasia
Pinocchio
The Old Man and the Sea
My Neighbor Totoro
Grave of the Fireflies
WALL-E
Ponyo
Kubo and the Two Strings
Song of the Sea
Liz and the Blue Bird

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
I feel like we reached the pinnacle of hand-drawn animations about 18 years ago with 'Spirited Away'.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
I can't possibly choose a favourite, so I'll mention Castle in the Sky (or Laputa)

KXLF.gif

The quintessential Miyazaki Movie.

Also, if you really like early Miyazaki, I implore you to watch the series Future Boy Conan.
It's pretty much a Ghibli movie turned into an animated series, it's so good.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Lol, I doubt I could make a top 10. Way too many too choose, across multiple decades and regions.

I am a bit surprised no one's mentioned a single Ralph Bakshi film.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Waltz with Bashir (2008)
As a film that just happens to be animated, Waltz with Bashir was one of my favorite movies of 2008, and that it was animated gave it a stylistic difference that helped set it apart from other documentaries.

Wolf Children (2012)
Mamoru Hosada's best work so far, and a movie that works well for its format, given its elements of the supranatural.

Kiki's Delivery Service (1989)
More slice-of-life and lower stakes than other Ghibli works, but this is a better representation of the whimsical side of Studio Ghibli's style.

Ghost in the Shell (1995)
Akira may have come earlier and was just as influential on future animation and genre treatments, but GitS was just more cohesive as a universe regarding the future and the implications of people becoming increasingly like machines.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
As much as I love dropping an obscure answer to these types of questions, it's gotta be Spirited Away for me, though many Ghibli movies are gorgeous. I also love Miyazaki's mechanical designs which you can see in Laputa, Porco Rosso, Nausicaa, etc. I also really like the mundane, human moments in the films, as when Clarisse in Cagliostro removes her glove to give it to Lupin and it's a very realistic process. That attention to detail really adds to the films.
Also, if you really like early Miyazaki, I implore you to watch the series Future Boy Conan.
It's pretty much a Ghibli movie turned into an animated series, it's so good.
This got my attention. I've heard of it but haven't seen it. I treasure the few episodes of Lupin III series 2 that Miyazaki directed because they totally have that Ghibli flavor.

Last edited:

Cubo

May 14, 2018
I'm going to name my second best (probably?) because I haven't seen it mentioned yet. (edit; ok it was just mentioned lol)

Waltz with Bashir. It's kind of an animated documentary about the 1980's Lebanon war, and it is so unique and breathtaking. The ending still haunts me up to this day.

Some other favourites that I'd just like name drop: Dumbo, Pinocchio, The Iron Giant, Mulan, Toy Story 3, Inside Out, Coraline, Fantastic Mr.Fox, Song of the Sea, Porco Rosso, The Wind Rises, Anomalisa, and of course, Shaun The Sheep.

TheLucasLite

Aug 27, 2018
I love Ponyo in an extremely unapologetic way. Watching it just makes me so comfortable. Any time I'm sick, I make some soup, and sit down and watch Ponyo.

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
The story of a lonely jaded troll eventually reforming and joining society.

Of course I mean How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

z2i9zi5wjqredcp0ynih.jpg

It's not the most flashy or artsy, but it tells a damn good story in a very entertaining way. It's perfection in simplicity.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
THE GREATEST ADVENTURE

IS WHAT LIES AHEAD

TODAY AND TOMORROW

ARE YET TO BE SAID

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Hard for me to choose between Sleeping Beauty and Castle of Cagliostro.

SB has just the most amazing animation ever. I love the bizarre dream like quality of the story, the creepy spinning wheel sequence, the superb villain (screw those new disney movies where she's good), and the fact that the prince and princess are basically just proxies for the fight between the faeries.

Then there's Caglisotro. It was the first Lupin related thing I ever saw almost thirty years ago, and for the longest time I'd buy other lupin related things when they were localised, like Secret of Mamo, and wonder why they didn't feel right. It was like a decade later I found out that it was Cagliostro that was the outlier, with Miyazaki changing Lupin's character. I love the more heroic lupin, and this is just a super fun movie, with an incredible car chase, a superb soundtrack and great characters (love zenagata so much in this).

rein

Apr 16, 2018
Off the top of my head i would say Disney's Hercules, it has my favorite soundtrack. If i really think about it i will probably find more.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
most of them aren't for me, but I enjoyed Your Name, A Silent Voice and Boxtrolls (if stop motion counts) the most probably.

Uzny

Apr 26, 2018
Iron Giant for me

MV5BMTQ5NTM4NTY5MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTg2Mzc2NjE@._V1_UX477_CR0,0,477,268_AL_.jpg

Honorable mention to Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

tenor.gif

and Brave Little Toaster (my favourite from childhood).

17.jpg

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whisper of the Heart is my personal favorite, but The Tale of the Princess Kaguya might be better. It's very close between the two, for me, though trying to take a medium as broad and rich as animated film and pick a single "best" movie is probably futile.
Whisper of the Heart is my favourite Ghibli and would have been my 2nd pick, it's just such an endearing story and gave me the boost I needed to complete NaNoWriMo 5 years ago.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
It's impossible to pick just one in my eyes.

Ratatouille, The Iron Giant, The Incredibles, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away and Sleeping Beauty all spring to mind however.

Oct 28, 2017
I came into the thread saying Spirited Away and I'm leaving saying I have no idea. This is an impossible choice for me.

A Midsummer Night's Dream/Sen noci svatojánské (1959)

THIS IS FANTASTIC, never heard of it before but the amount a work it must have taken to pull this off with such grace 60 years ago must have been extensive. Will find and will watch.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
THIS IS FANTASTIC, never heard of it before but the amount a work it must have taken to pull this off with such grace 60 years ago must have been extensive. Will find and will watch.
Hopefully, it will be restored soon, without the awful narration that typically accompanies it, and leaving the images and music to tell the story, as Trnka originally intended.