Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
For me, it's far and away Rainbow Six Siege. I am a hardcore Rainbow fan and have been playing ever since Raven Shield and I just cannot tolerate the chat in the community. I've been been online games since WCIII nothing beats Rainbow Six Siege's. I suppose it comes with the competivie nature of the game but have played several games over the years with occasional asshole in game but nothing like Siege. I clocked about 60 hours and I think I am done. It's a fun game but I just can't escape it. I know I could turn off voice chat but it's once of those games that is robbed of some of the experience with out.

How about y'all?

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Overwatch by a mile, sexist, racist, transphobic, xenophobic. Literally you name it the game has people like that in it. It harbors literally the worst fucking community I've ever seen.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Heroes of Newerth. Toxicity was builtin, with garbage bin emotes (sit down son), humiliations, racist CEO, spamming Gs macros, etc. It was absolutely ruthless.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Overwatch was the worst I experienced when I was trying to get deep into comp. It was all blame game & people never wanting to adapt away from playing their "main".

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Overwatch by a mile, sexist, racist, transphobic, xenophobic. Literally you name it the game has people like that in it. It harbors literally the worst fucking community I've ever seen.

Which is bizarre, because part of the appeal of the game is the diverse characters.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
I got death threats on the old Ion Storm forums because I kind of liked Deus Ex: Invisible War. People actually wanted to kill me because I had fun playing a game.

I gave up on the gaming community after that. Yes I'm aware of the irony of posting this here.

Balmung421

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I play both LoL and OW; Overwatch is the most toxic by a country mile. Had to stop playing OW for a long time because of how bad it was.

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of my worst online gaming experiences came from Halo 3 when that was new. It's the reason why I just mute everybody in games now.

Gears of War 1 was pretty bad too.

Deleted member 12129

Oct 27, 2017
The upper ranks of CS:GO's competitive ladder wasn't very much fun, lots of people raging and pulling rank for seemingly stupid arguments (i.e. I have a higher rank than you so we should do this). Like who gives a fuck.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Planetside 2.

Did a quick little video on it. Shitbird in the comments was name calling, told him I really didn't care. Went to reddit and got thousands upon thousands of assholes to leave pretty fucking vile comments all over my channel.

So yeah, that one is gonna stay with me.

Deleted member 227

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
League Of Legends, hands down.
Before that maybe Warcraft 3 when there wasn't a standalone Dota game and the multiplayer was unmodded with no accountability because you could just pick a new nickname each time you logged in.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There was a time where WoW was insufferable because of it, around the end of BC. Then it got better. I think it was the fact that gear was scarce, we didn't know what we were doing and bosses were overtuned. It got way better in WOTLK.

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
Video games probably league, but I leave games where I experience toxicity regularly pretty quick so not going to be the best judge of that.

Outside of video games, 40k specifically it's online communities can turn to fascist apologia pretty quick if not moderated to combat it.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
I have >500 hours on Siege PC and I haven't found it bad at all. Nothing compared to MOBAs I've dabbled with in the past. I have text chat turned off and it's just two clicks to mute people and get back to playing the game. If I'm playing casual (quick matches) and I really really don't like what's happening in the match - which is very rare - I sometimes leave because it's so fast to hop into another game.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
I play a ton of overwatch and i'm very active in comms; i'm the main tank and i shotcall pretty much every game.

i get very little toxicity, mainly because i'm bossing everyone around and people mainly listen to me and i keep things pretty chill. of course, when things go to shit, it can get pretty toxic, but at that point i just mute.

overall, i'm very happy with my overwatch experience from a toxicity standpoint. i didn't start playing till a year or two after launch and all the horrible stories i expected a shitshow.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Dota2 had a lot of potential for abuse. Hour long matches and if you were unlucky to be matched up with toxic folk...

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Dota 2

I've played a lot of the often mentioned toxic games but nothing came to close to this. Even if you get a game with no straight up insulting and flaming, its still an aggressive and toxic atmosphere.
Seems like a majority of the community is also proud of that.

It's one of my favorite games ever but I just can't stand it anymore. I usually just watch pro games nowadays and don't play anymore.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
For me it was Overwatch.

Part of the reason why I decided to stop playing it. It wasn't even being yelled at or called names, I can handle that.

It's when you try to work as a team and communicate and people react poorly to any input and do things like throw the game. It just makes for a miserable experience.

My life is a lot better since giving up games like this.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
league of legends and it really isnt close

Got it in one.

LoL is so bad that it's a pleasant surprise when a game doesn't devolve into teammates shouting slurs at each other. I've never played another game where extreme toxicity was the norm, where it just becomes this constant background noise and your only real choices are to turn off chat altogether, become desensitized, or just quit. It's a nightmare.

Oct 27, 2017
The NRS games tend to be very toxic online. People spouting slurs over the mic and teabagging whenever possible. Mainly due to how well the game sells to casuals so there's more opportunity for assholes to show up online.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
League of Legends. Too many addicts drained with the game who feel the compulsion to keep playing but have absolutely zero patience towards teammates who aren't meeting their standards.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
RB6 siege is a fucking cesspit. Team killing, vote kicking, getting screamed at for failing to clutch a 1v3. Awful.

ToxicPhantom

Jan 6, 2020
Texas
I would have to say Fortnite. I tried it just to see what it's all about. Obviously I had no idea what I was doing. The team I was on were all getting pissed because I was running around not building anything. You can imagine all the shit they were spewing.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
Overwatch and League of Legends were easily the worst experiences I've ever had. Extremely obnoxious, both.
For Overwatch it killed all interest I had for the game, I just played it for, like, 1 month and uninstalled it, never again.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
Overwatch and I have more than 6k in Dota and 2k hours in CS:GO. Also, from my experience MMOs tend to be the least toxic.

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
I can't speak for LoL, but by god the experience with Overwatch was/is sickening.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Probably WoW when it comes to tanks and healers not living up to people's expectations. Some of them just go absolutely apeshit.. it makes m very uncomfortable.

DragonRealms (text-based MUD) had some pretty nasty characters back in the day, but it was mostly teenagers so I can kind of get it. I don't get that impression from people on WoW.. I think they're just bad people.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Siege has nothing compared to MOBAs and even Overwatch.
Siege now has reverse friendly fire, forgive/punish mechanic, auto kick + temporary ban for text chat as well as friendly fire (yes I know you can still sort of get around the text chat filter)...that goes a long way to curb some toxicity. Plus if you are in high gold/platinum range or higher then the games gradually get less toxic the higher the rank gets. Copper, Bronze and Silver are a cesspool of shit though, but that's also where majority of the community is.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
In my experience, Dota2. All the standard hate you get in online games multiplied by long games and unforgiving mechanics. However...

Heroes of Newerth. Toxicity was builtin, with garbage bin emotes (sit down son), humiliations, racist CEO, spamming Gs macros, etc. It was absolutely ruthless.

holy crap this sounds even worse.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere between WoW (kinda bad but loooots of exposure over the years) and LoL (really bad but not as much exposure). Maybe Overwatch, too but I dropped that a bit ago so I didn't see it at its current levels.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Left 4 Dead 2 from what I've played. You'd be how surprised how serious folk take Versus mode.