Oct 25, 2017
MOD EDIT: Selina here, I've edited in a better article on this.

https://dotesports.com/the-op/news/nintendo-switch-indie-developers-19968

Wozniak, who works as a developer and publisher with Wolfgame and Poppy Works, has grappled with problems of his own while trying to bring games over to the system. Wozniak regularly collaborates with indie developers to publish their games, such as porting Sukeban Games' VA-11 Hall-A over to PlayStation Vita. But while working to get his partners' games published, he faced multiple rejections for Switch games from Nintendo of America.

Of particular note, one title was shot down after he introduced a game that deals with mature themes.

"It's a short and sweet game where two people have a conversation," Wozniak explained to The OP. "It's an adult situation, but there is no what you would call 'adult content' in it. Specifically, this was mentioned as being exactly what they were looking for, but too mature."

Wozniak feels Nintendo of America makes exceptions for major publishers that deal with adult themes while rejecting indie games willing to take the same risks. From his perspective, this is somewhat hypocritical, as the company is more than happy to publish games like Skyrim, DOOM, and Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus for Switch users when Bethesda is behind the wheel. In comparison, he believes Nintendo of Europe and Nintendo's Japanese headquarters are much more flexible about accepting indie game pitches.

"You will likely notice that most of the indie games on Switch are from one of those regions, have a big publisher behind them, or have experienced great success previously on Steam," Wozniak said. "If your work does not fall into one of those three categories, then it seems like Nintendo of America is not interested."

------

https://gonintendo.com/stories/2996...wozniak-says-he-was-turned-down-by-nintendo-5

It probably because of the adult's theme, but Binding of Isaac was okay in the book? It doesn't make sense.

UPDATE:

I swear to god I saw this article basically about a month or two ago somewhere else when Wolfgang was talking about it on twitter. Hell I'm pretty sure there was an Era thread about it

Last edited:

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo is for babbies.

er since the OP didnt quote I will

"Nintendo of America specifically, has been uncharacteristically ambiguous surrounding what they are looking for in a game. We've been turned down by Nintendo of America five times. You will likely notice that most of the indie games on Switch are from one of those regions, have a big publisher behind them, or have experienced great success previously on Steam. If your work does not fall into one of those three categories, then it seems like Nintendo of America is not interested. I'm certain that we'll be able to bring Switch owners something special in the future, but I am uncertain as to when that future will be."

"It's a short and sweet game where two people have a conversation. It's an adult situation, but there is no what you would call 'adult content' in it. Specifically, this was mentioned as being exactly what they were looking for, but too mature."

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
"Specifically, this was mentioned as being exactly what they were looking for, but too mature"

lol

signal

Oct 28, 2017
In particular, one game was turned down for being too mature.

"It's a short and sweet game where two people have a conversation. It's an adult situation, but there is no what you would call 'adult content' in it. Specifically, this was mentioned as being exactly what they were looking for, but too mature.

Well, maybe it was too mature. Not sure what to say since there is zero other info.

Giudecca

Oct 27, 2017
Wait a second, that can't be right. Va-11 Hall-a uses GameMaker, which the Switch does not support.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Uhhh isn't this the Dev for the vita port?

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not the actual developer, but a publisher

Wozniak, who works as a developer and publisher with Wolfgame and Poppy Works, has grappled with problems of his own while trying to bring games over to the system. Wozniak regularly collaborates with indie developers to publish their games, such as porting Sukeban Games' VA-11 Hall-A over to PlayStation Vita.

He also implies it's a Nintendo of America thing. Kinda bizarre they do this while the other branchs are more flexible.

Is it more mature than this?

NSFW

Not NoA.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Maybe they're okay with graphical mature content but not with mature writing, who knows...

I think the dialogues in the game goes in a way sorta more heavy than just the usual videogame gore amd fanservice. But it's always subjective.

Wait a second, that can't be right. Va-11 Hall-a uses GameMaker, which the Switch does not support.

I doubt it's the case if the devs went for approval on Switch. They could always remake it on another engine tho.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't support GameMaker at all? RIP hyper light drifter spelunky undertale etc.

How can anyone answer?
I want to say Spelunky HD wasn't GameMaker, but I may be wrong. I almost want it to be, though, because at least that gives me an understandable reason as to why the game isn't on Switch yet. I wouldn't even rebuy (cuz Vita D-Pad is perfect to me), but I want my friends to finally get a chance to play.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Lol, what are they going to do when all these devs with the skeevy games on Vita start coming in droves to Switch....

Take all the third party support you van get Ninty

Giudecca

Oct 27, 2017
The article is about how the dev pitched games that got turned down, not a port of Va-11 Hall-A

But the quote says this:

Wolfgang Wozniak is an indie game dev most well known for his work on VA-11 HALL-A. Wozniak has been trying to bring some titles to Switch, VA-11 HALL-A included, but it appears he's hit a wall. Nintendo has turned him down 5 times. He shared the details of his stumbles with Dotesports.

Why bother trying to port it at all if the engine flat-out won't work on Switch?

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
That's a bummer, VA-11 HALL-A is an awesome game, it'd be perfect on the Switch.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo of America seem to have an absolutely awful approval process, I've seen similar things mentioned by other devs too.

Nintendo of Europe seem to be better on this front, thankfully.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
The big differences in policy between the different regional subsidiaries of Nintendo over like this is just bizarre if I'm honest. This doesn't seam like a small difference either: NOE/NOJ seam to be giving devkits to anyone that asks, and publishing pretty much anything that's created for the system, whereas NOA seam to be insanely picky over who they give kits to and what people can publish - not just the (subjective) quality of a game, but even the content of the game itself? Strange.

I don't really see the point, I've always thought that a healthy marketplace is one where barriers of entry are kept low. Nintendo might want to stem the flow of the tide, but the flow still exists and over time the same result will be achieved, all that changes is the timeframe - whether it's 6 months or 3 years. The Eshop has quickly been filling up and will continue to do so - the focus shouldn't be on slowing down the growth but rather improving the discovery tools of the app. And besides, if there isn't a uniform policy then any attempt at slowing the growth of the store will never work to begin with.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
What does "too mature" even mean? That tells me nothing about what the nature of the content was.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Why bother trying to port it at all if the engine flat-out won't work on Switch?

Possibly the cost of porting over just one game is too costly given the potential risk on return of investment, where as porting over several at once could net some initial cost savings and more importantly you have the potential revenue from several games over just one. Two might bomb, one might do OK and two might do really well recouping all costs for porting all 5 games and bring you a profit. With one game you have to do well or else you've wasted money.

Oct 25, 2017
The reps are in ERA, so eventually the thread will catch their eye. I do want to ask for clarification on what constituted as "too mature" considering a variety of the games that are present or coming (indie or not) can be considered too mature also.

Giudecca

Oct 27, 2017
The system that has Senran Kagura is saying Vallhalla is too much? Like, what the fuck?
It could be, but she doesn't actually do anything. There's no TNA or fanservice from her just dirty jokes.

This is NoA. Bouncing boobies is A-OK, but a sex worker enjoying herself? Can't have that. Even if it's just dialogue.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can people please read the actual article? https://dotesports.com/the-op/news/nintendo-switch-indie-developers-19968

He says Nintendo of Europe and NCL are more flexible with indie/mature games and this is a Nintendo of America problem. Also, I don't think he says VA-11 HALL-A was refused, but his games ーhe isn't the actual developer of the game, but ported it to the Playstation Vita.

"It's a short and sweet game where two people have a conversation," Wozniak explained to The OP. "It's an adult situation, but there is no what you would call 'adult content' in it. Specifically, this was mentioned as being exactly what they were looking for, but too mature."
This is the only thing that could be referencing VA-11 HALL-A, I think. Can someone confirm this in indeed a reference to the game? Never played it. If not, I don't understand why GoNintendo is affirming VA-11 HALL-A as one of the games he got refused.

Hopefully if someone from the actual dev team is here, they can explain this to us. It's still a shame that NoA is so cryptic with developers about what they want anyway.