• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Hey everyone, thought I'd drop in a few gifs of some characters and enemies we've been working on for our new game!

URW64IM.gif

YCLxD6A.gif

7Tr5t2c.gif

0ZSnV4m.gif

Zzn8hl5.gif

jR1zBxs.gif
I'm liking these a lot! They all have personality which is hard to nail.

Benz On Dubz

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Hi Indie Game Development people. Awesome thread!

I'm working on my own title tentatively called Thieves in the Night. I'm writing my own engine using C++, DirectX, and the Windows API. Here's a video demonstration of the various weapons and fx. It's super prototype-y with placeholder art.

This was initially going to be a VR project, but I've decided to change the art style and add more visual fidelity. I'll post updates as I get the new look going.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I mean... I don't want to tell you how you 'should' be making your game, because that is anathema to the point of being an indie in the first place, but to me that video doesn't even look like a physics based interaction - I was imagining something like a buoyancy simulation where landing exerts a downwards force that then levels off back to equilibrium after a few 'bounces'.

But that's exactly what happens; look closely. It's indeed perhaps too subtle for my taste; a consequence of having the ship weight a lot so that it's not dragged too far when the mecha walks on it, which brings us to my original question. :D

To my eyes, that same effect could be achieved just with an up/down looping animation, no physics required.

There's quite a number of reasons why I can't do that, the most obvious being tha it would not react to anything stepping on it.

For the type of game it looks like you're making, I'd be steering clear of most of Unitys built in physics simulation systems entirely tbh, but again, this is not a criticism of how you want to do things.

I'm willing to take any criticism, but is there a specific reason for this? I've noticed Unity brings quite nice physics interactions and in many cases everything works "out of the box". I assume it's also more efficient compared to anything similar I'd want to code.

Hey everyone, thought I'd drop in a few gifs of some characters and enemies we've been working on for our new game!

URW64IM.gif

YCLxD6A.gif

7Tr5t2c.gif

0ZSnV4m.gif

Zzn8hl5.gif

jR1zBxs.gif

These are lovely! If I had to make any criticism, is that a bit more of antialiasing would make them look even better. You've already applied it in some cases, but its lack is especially noticeable in the edges of the lighter areas. See what difference a few pixels makes:

krgtP1E.gif

Deleted member 5167

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm willing to take any criticism, but is there a specific reason for this? I've noticed Unity brings quite nice physics interactions and in many cases everything works "out of the box". I assume it's also more efficient compared to anything similar I'd want to code.

Unitys physics system (which IIRC is Nvidias PhysX) is performant, but its still a physics system, which is overkill for a game that doesn't need actual, you know, physics, and its likely going to throw up weird edge cases in simulations long term, like things getting stuck on things they shouldn't be able to get stuck on, or things firing off at infinite velocities and all the other issues that can crop up using prebuilt physics solutions.
For a 2D platformer style with a retro aesthetic, raycasts + collisions is going to be enough to handle entity interactions, and will 'feel' like a typical 8/16bit platformer, because thats how they did things.
For something like a Little Big Planet or a Rochard where the physicality of interactions having believable physics is fundamental gameplay, thats a completely different matter, obviously.

Oct 27, 2017
Indeed, any procedural generation that relies in generating randomly and then discarding can become quite slow, especially in worst case scenarios. I guess it's obvious (especially since you're quite far ahead of me in this), but whenever possible, it's better to generate stuff that's always valid.

First of all, don't give me too much credit =) I am mostly just winging it here.

In general, though, I'd say there's room for a bit of both. Always generating something valid has the obvious upside of faster generation speed, but it has downsides too:

- If there are a lot of rules, writing code that always obeys them may be impractically complicated compared to judging after the fact and discarding.
- To make the rules practical, they may have to be overly restrictive, reducing the variety of layouts created (essentially "pre-discarding" a lot of good ones).

In my case I'm quite laden down with rules, due to (a) the door locations being set in advance by the dungeon layout, (b) wanting to have rooms with two floor levels, and (c) the unusual wall perspective that makes a lot of floor locations invalid, but makes it hard to tell which ones without trying them out.

After much hand-wringing about how to do this more efficiently, I ended up with the current version, which is less about "getting it right first time" and more about "failing quickly and gracefully".

The "quickly" part is important, because the earlier in the process it can fail, the less time is wasted on an invalid layout. There's a lot of room for optimisation there. The "gracefully" part is also important, because failure should be invisible to the player, and (just as importantly) seeing how it fails tells me a lot about how I can make it fail less/sooner.

Which is not to say it can't be done in a better way... but right now I don't think the speed is bad enough for a rethink. Plus, it's basically functional, which is enough to be moving on with. The whole process is pretty modular, so if I really decide I hate it, I can still replace this step even after working on everything else.

For comparison, the other steps I've worked on so far:

1. Dungeon layout generated as a node graph: This is pretty much a "right first time" thing where it creates the graph based on very strict rules. I'm not totally happy with the current results, but I think I can keep this approach and tweak it to work better.

2. Node graph converted into a 3D dungeon layout: This is based on trial and error. It experiments with room positions one at a time, and eventually throws out the layout and restarts if it realises there's no way to make all the paths loop back around as required by the node graph. I went this route because otherwise I would have to learn how to calculate ideal layouts for node graphs in 3D space, which is seriously complicated maths (like, I googled it and the results were scientific papers I could barely understand). Anyway, it runs quickly enough this way that I don't see a need to go that far =)

In the past I also experimented with a genetic algorithm to cover these two, which is perhaps even further away from "right first time". I didn't have much success, but it was fascinating to play about with!

I myself use a lot of cheats and tricks myself to avoid discarding at all in my map generation. For example, I want to have cities with roads between them; these roads in turn have some restrictions (e.g. a road crossing a body of water becomes a bridge, and so it should be straight, with no turns). If I were to put down the cities first, then try to interconnect them with roads, it may be impossible in some maps, forcing to start over. So what I do is put a few cities close to the edge to the map, generate several winding roads that reach the other side of the map, and finally place down the rest of the cities on road tiles.

This is pretty ingenious, and I spent a while today musing over whether I could take a similar approach for my rooms. The stickler, though, is that I'm committed to this top-down approach where the door locations are already set in stone by the dungeon layout. This means there's not so much flexibility to do something like that. I will keep thinking about it, though!

I'm thinking I could follow your lead and make a gif with a few generated map layouts myself; they're not nearly as varied or complex as your dungeon rooms, but I wonder how that'd look. I'll do it tomorrow if I remember.

I would definitely be interested!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Popstar

Popstar

Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry about spamming the thread anyone. (unless, you know, it's actual spam. Like only posting to copy-paste a press release and then vanishing.)

Lots of hangouts make a new thread every month. We're nowhere near anything like that. Don't feel you should only post when you have something to show. Or that because you posted some work-in-progress yesterday you can't post the same thing farther along today. Also feel free to post just to chat or say good morning like people do in a lot of the hangouts.

This thread isn't meant to be intimidating.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Unitys physics system (which IIRC is Nvidias PhysX) is performant, but its still a physics system, which is overkill for a game that doesn't need actual, you know, physics,

Well, I need "physics" like everyone else; gravity, collisions (with both the ground and other objects), thrown objects bouncing off each other, and so on. There's not really all that much in Unity's 2D physics that I don't use. It's not so much a question of using Unity's physics or nothing, it's a question of using Unity's physics or coding my own.

and its likely going to throw up weird edge cases in simulations long term, like things getting stuck on things they shouldn't be able to get stuck on, or things firing off at infinite velocities and all the other issues that can crop up using prebuilt physics solutions.

I don't think I have ever had anything as extreme as the second, and I only had the first when using box colliders instead of capsules. Conversely, I've had a lot of serendipitous moments where Unity added something that felt "just right". Perhaps I'm just lucky? Or I've learned to coexist gracefully with Unity's physics? Also, there's really nothing preventing a system implemented by myself from having these same issues, if not more.

For a 2D platformer style with a retro aesthetic, raycasts + collisions is going to be enough to handle entity interactions, and will 'feel' like a typical 8/16bit platformer, because thats how they did things.
For something like a Little Big Planet or a Rochard where the physicality of interactions having believable physics is fundamental gameplay, thats a completely different matter, obviously.

Again, I don't see much value in skipping the built-in physics that provides all the things I mentioned above that I need anywat, just to reimplement them myself. It's not even much more efficient, as Unity still needs to calculate all the collisions, and raycasts are costly.

In any case, I wanted to know if there was specifically any downside to using physics, as they've worked so well in my project. Them being "overkill" is not a downside unless it's also inefficient, and my estimation is that the time I'd spend coding and debugging my own interaction systems would be higher than the time debugging edge cases with Unity's physics when they arise. And that's even assuming making that decision from the start: when considering the work it would take now to make the change and debug consequences this late in development, the choice for me is more or less clear for now.

First of all, don't give me too much credit =) I am mostly just winging it here.

Aren't we all, hahah! I think game development is one of these things where everyone feels like they're the only ones playing by ear and that everyone else has a detailed plan and knows perfectly well what they're doing from start to end. And then you watch a candid interview with the makers of FTL and Into the Breach, two of the most successful indie games ever, and how they were pretty much blindly fumbling through prototypes for both games, throwing stuff to the wall and seeing what stuck; and even some early design decisions that you think "how could you possibly consider that?!" (and realize it's only obvious with the benefit of hindsight from the completed product). Quite a shock to learn your game dev idols are as human and non-omniscient as yourself!

In general, though, I'd say there's room for a bit of both. Always generating something valid has the obvious upside of faster generation speed, but it has downsides too:

- If there are a lot of rules, writing code that always obeys them may be impractically complicated compared to judging after the fact and discarding.
- To make the rules practical, they may have to be overly restrictive, reducing the variety of layouts created (essentially "pre-discarding" a lot of good ones).

In my case I'm quite laden down with rules, due to (a) the door locations being set in advance by the dungeon layout, (b) wanting to have rooms with two floor levels, and (c) the unusual wall perspective that makes a lot of floor locations invalid, but makes it hard to tell which ones without trying them out.

You make a truly great point that making rules for what is allowed may generate far less combinations (and therefore less variety) than making rules for what isn't allowed. So much so that I'm going to rethink some of my own map generation and see if I could make it more varied with discard-based rules.

After much hand-wringing about how to do this more efficiently, I ended up with the current version, which is less about "getting it right first time" and more about "failing quickly and gracefully".

The "quickly" part is important, because the earlier in the process it can fail, the less time is wasted on an invalid layout. There's a lot of room for optimisation there. The "gracefully" part is also important, because failure should be invisible to the player, and (just as importantly) seeing how it fails tells me a lot about how I can make it fail less/sooner.

Which is not to say it can't be done in a better way... but right now I don't think the speed is bad enough for a rethink. Plus, it's basically functional, which is enough to be moving on with. The whole process is pretty modular, so if I really decide I hate it, I can still replace this step even after working on everything else.

For comparison, the other steps I've worked on so far:

1. Dungeon layout generated as a node graph: This is pretty much a "right first time" thing where it creates the graph based on very strict rules. I'm not totally happy with the current results, but I think I can keep this approach and tweak it to work better.

2. Node graph converted into a 3D dungeon layout: This is based on trial and error. It experiments with room positions one at a time, and eventually throws out the layout and restarts if it realises there's no way to make all the paths loop back around as required by the node graph. I went this route because otherwise I would have to learn how to calculate ideal layouts for node graphs in 3D space, which is seriously complicated maths (like, I googled it and the results were scientific papers I could barely understand). Anyway, it runs quickly enough this way that I don't see a need to go that far =)

Really, pushing for efficiency is mostly the perfectionists in us speaking; it's a one-time thing followed by a ton of gameplay, surely the player can wait a few seconds. :)
... it's "a few seconds", right? How much time are we talking to generate a full dungeon?

In the past I also experimented with a genetic algorithm to cover these two, which is perhaps even further away from "right first time". I didn't have much success, but it was fascinating to play about with!

Oooh, this sounds super fun. I've read about genetic algorithms but never implemented one: procedural generation of dungeons sounds like such a fascinating application.

This is pretty ingenious, and I spent a while today musing over whether I could take a similar approach for my rooms. The stickler, though, is that I'm committed to this top-down approach where the door locations are already set in stone by the dungeon layout. This means there's not so much flexibility to do something like that. I will keep thinking about it, though!

It might come more handy for things you need to make in the future, than what you've already made. I have an intuition it's also probably better for things that are more open with less strict structure, like paths and secrets in the overworld.

I would definitely be interested!

Agh, I forgot about this. I'll do it tomorrow, I just added an item to my to-do list so that I don't forget again.

Don't worry about spamming the thread anyone. (unless, you know, it's actual spam. Like only posting to copy-paste a press release and then vanishing.)

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell him this very thing myself. Absolutely don't be afraid to post your developments, even a couple times a day is fine I think. I mean, what's this thread for if not sharing our progress?

The only thing is that I can't seem to be able to see twitter videos anymore!

Oct 27, 2017
Aren't we all, hahah! I think game development is one of these things where everyone feels like they're the only ones playing by ear and that everyone else has a detailed plan and knows perfectly well what they're doing from start to end. And then you watch a candid interview with the makers of FTL and Into the Breach, two of the most successful indie games ever, and how they were pretty much blindly fumbling through prototypes for both games, throwing stuff to the wall and seeing what stuck; and even some early design decisions that you think "how could you possibly consider that?!" (and realize it's only obvious with the benefit of hindsight from the completed product). Quite a shock to learn your game dev idols are as human and non-omniscient as yourself!

Reassuring indeed! I guess this is why I'm a big fan of being candid about this stuff in general... Expecting everything to be perfect right out of the gate (both the game and my skills in making it) is a bad habit, so it's good to have it pleasantly shot down once in a while :)

You make a truly great point that making rules for what is allowed may generate far less combinations (and therefore less variety) than making rules for what isn't allowed. So much so that I'm going to rethink some of my own map generation and see if I could make it more varied with discard-based rules.

I'd be interested to know if the results are worthwhile or not. It sounds like you already have a good thing going, but if another approach could work, there's no harm in exploring it.

Really, pushing for efficiency is mostly the perfectionists in us speaking; it's a one-time thing followed by a ton of gameplay, surely the player can wait a few seconds. :)
... it's "a few seconds", right? How much time are we talking to generate a full dungeon?

I haven't properly combined the steps together yet, but as of right now it's looking like 1-2 seconds to generate the dungeon layout and all the included rooms. I'm worried this will creep up when it comes to adding in puzzles, so I do want to speed up this step as much as I can.

In the long term, the goal is for one seed to generate an overworld and multiple dungeons at the start of the game. The jury's still out on whether that will be too much for one loading screen, but if it is, I have some workarounds in mind already.

Oooh, this sounds super fun. I've read about genetic algorithms but never implemented one: procedural generation of dungeons sounds like such a fascinating application.

Yep! I'd like to play about with it some more someday. There are a lot of challenges, like:

- how best to represent the randomly generated candidates (e.g. as a string of bits)
- how best to convert that into testable game content (e.g. a dungeon layout)
- how best to judge the fitness of each candidate (to promote the survival of the best ones)
- how best to breed the candidates for the next generation
- how many generations is optimal

After experimenting for a couple of weeks, my results were terrible... but I'll chalk that up to a) very specific requirements of these dungeons that don't lend themselves to being purely randomly generated, and b) not finding the best approach to any or all of the above points.

Like, one requirement for my dungeons is that there aren't any wasted rooms. Some paths are optional, but there's always some kind of item at the end of them, not just a dead end. So I included points for this as part of the fitness function... but no matter what I did, it never succeeded in finding solutions that fully met this requirement.

Still, I find the concept fascinating. Maybe I'll find a way to use it properly someday!

It might come more handy for things you need to make in the future, than what you've already made. I have an intuition it's also probably better for things that are more open with less strict structure, like paths and secrets in the overworld.

Could be! I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Agh, I forgot about this. I'll do it tomorrow, I just added an item to my to-do list so that I don't forget again.

No pressure! But I'll look forward to it ^^

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Reassuring indeed! I guess this is why I'm a big fan of being candid about this stuff in general... Expecting everything to be perfect right out of the gate (both the game and my skills in making it) is a bad habit, so it's good to have it pleasantly shot down once in a while :)

Indeed. It's particularly reassuing when your game is not fun, as it's easy to assume it will never be fun, you should scrap it altogether, and do something else. But these great devs also say their games took quite a while to get anywhere near "fun", so it's something everyone has to go through!

I haven't properly combined the steps together yet, but as of right now it's looking like 1-2 seconds to generate the dungeon layout and all the included rooms. I'm worried this will creep up when it comes to adding in puzzles, so I do want to speed up this step as much as I can.

In the long term, the goal is for one seed to generate an overworld and multiple dungeons at the start of the game. The jury's still out on whether that will be too much for one loading screen, but if it is, I have some workarounds in mind already.

That really doesn't sound like a lot of time. You could always stick a "generating world" screen, and the good thing is that the process is divided in discrete chunks (each dungeon) so you can even put a progress bar. As long as there's no step in the generation process that causes it to explode exponentially for some reason, I think a few seconds per dungeon is perfectly fine.

Yep! I'd like to play about with it some more someday. There are a lot of challenges, like:

- how best to represent the randomly generated candidates (e.g. as a string of bits)
- how best to convert that into testable game content (e.g. a dungeon layout)
- how best to judge the fitness of each candidate (to promote the survival of the best ones)
- how best to breed the candidates for the next generation
- how many generations is optimal

After experimenting for a couple of weeks, my results were terrible... but I'll chalk that up to a) very specific requirements of these dungeons that don't lend themselves to being purely randomly generated, and b) not finding the best approach to any or all of the above points.

Like, one requirement for my dungeons is that there aren't any wasted rooms. Some paths are optional, but there's always some kind of item at the end of them, not just a dead end. So I included points for this as part of the fitness function... but no matter what I did, it never succeeded in finding solutions that fully met this requirement.

Still, I find the concept fascinating. Maybe I'll find a way to use it properly someday!

The fitness function intuitively seems like the hardest part to me. There's so many things that constrain a valid dungeon layout, and I can perfectly picture it chasing dead ends that lead nowhere no matter how much it fine-tunes them. I guess genetic algorithms are best for things that have more variables / degrees of freedom, less hard constraints, and especially that are more directly comparable (in a "strictly better / strictly worse" way).

Could be! I'll definitely keep it in mind.
No pressure! But I'll look forward to it ^^

Actually I came back to the thread to post it (who needs to sleep?). :)

5anzPmF.gif

Not that much variety since I only have three types of terrain (grass, mountains and water), but with a few more like desert, ice and lava it could be quite varied, especially if I only use a handful of terrain types per world, as I intend.

The individual maps, in case the above is a bit too fast:
https://imgur.com/a/SxuseDV

Generation rules:
- For this specific map, it generates either a Supertank or a Shield Generator (those are the bosses), one or two tiles away from the East edge of the map.
- From there it shoots two roads to the West that must end on the West edge of the map, and a river with the same rules (also the same to the East, but these are much shorter, obviously). Where you see roads joining and diverging, there's actually two roads overlapping. :)
- When roads cross water, they become bridges, and they won't turn until they reach the other side, or until they reach the edge of the map.
- Finally, it generates either two cities (on road tiles), two battleships (on sea or river tiles), or one of each.

Notes:
- Successive maps are larger and have more of everything: they're larger, more stages, more bosses, more roads, etc.
- The tiles are not square, and are designed to look good on their own, overlapping themselves, or overlapping other terrain. The jagged effect on the map's edges is just how the tile borders look.

Last edited:

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
if i can get a mother's day present today i will hopefully feel chill enough to work a bit on my project tonight and do some code cleaning and overhaul hitboxes again. Probably should add 'factions' so that all my enemies aren't necessarily hitting one another all the time, only in specified instances.

If anybody has good advice or tutorials on some good ways to think about a holistic system for attacks and hitboxes/hurtboxes etc please shout them out! My code is just... a tower of crap right now. Which is fine since I'm still learning but phew

bearbytes

Jan 17, 2018
I'm liking these a lot! They all have personality which is hard to nail.
Thanks!

I like these a lot! What game is this?
Thanks, the game is called Rogue Heroes: Ruins of Tasos. It's basically a top-down Zelda style action RPG with some roguelike elements (the games dungeons regenerate with each run, you use gems that you've collected during the run to upgrade your character, equipment and village) and up to 4 player co-op. If you want you can check out some more stuff about it on our Kickstarter page here:https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1983471571/rogue-heroes-ruins-of-tasos

These are lovely! If I had to make any criticism, is that a bit more of antialiasing would make them look even better. You've already applied it in some cases, but its lack is especially noticeable in the edges of the lighter areas. See what difference a few pixels makes:
Thanks, that's a good point for sure. I need to get back to some of these and finish up/polish them up a bit more. Sometimes the fun of getting them animated and into the game gets me a bit side tracked!

Allow me to be another voice saying that these are absolutely beautiful!
Thanks, glad you dig them!

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Thanks!

Thanks, the game is called Rogue Heroes: Ruins of Tasos. It's basically a top-down Zelda style action RPG with some roguelike elements (the games dungeons regenerate with each run, you use gems that you've collected during the run to upgrade your character, equipment and village) and up to 4 player co-op. If you want you can check out some more stuff about it on our Kickstarter page here:https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1983471571/rogue-heroes-ruins-of-tasos

... holy shit, this looks absolutely incredible! And also quite obviously, it shows a lot of overlap with what Brushguy Woodthreep is doing. Have you guys been checking out his work in this thread? It's interesting because if I understand your kickstarter correctly, your game uses handcrafted rooms connected in a flat layout, while his work generates rooms and multi-floor dungeons procedurally. Perhaps there might be value in some collaboration?

Gif Saturday? Gif Saturday!

HelpfulDeadlyBarracuda-max-14mb.gif

I've run out of words to praise your work, but this is as exceedinly beautiful as ever, damn.

The only thing that surprised me a bit is that when doing the "pet" animation, she's quite serious, while I'd expect her to smile. :)

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
... holy shit, this looks absolutely incredible! And also quite obviously, it shows a lot of overlap with what Brushguy Woodthreep is doing. Have you guys been checking out his work in this thread? It's interesting because if I understand your kickstarter correctly, your game uses handcrafted rooms connected in a flat layout, while his work generates rooms and multi-floor dungeons procedurally. Perhaps there might be value in some collaboration?

I've run out of words to praise your work, but this is as exceedinly beautiful as ever, damn.

The only thing that surprised me a bit is that when doing the "pet" animation, she's quite serious, while I'd expect her to smile. :)

I think she is smiling while she is petting.....something.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Thanks!

Thanks, that's a good point for sure. I need to get back to some of these and finish up/polish them up a bit more. Sometimes the fun of getting them animated and into the game gets me a bit side tracked!

Thanks, glad you dig them!
Wow this is a really cool looking game. I love various aspects of it, such as the multiplayer and town building. There was a moment in the trailer where you walk into a building, and it lists objectives on the side. It looks like a smart way of summarising quests for people on the UI. Regardless, this looks like a promising game and I hope you do well with it!

Camille_

Oct 26, 2017
Angoulême, France
I think she is smiling while she is petting.....something.

Actually it seems like a Mona Lisa type smile, which is pretty cool! I guess I expected her to grin like I do with my cats. :D

Haha, thank you both :-D Indeed, I was going for more of an "inner peace" expression, but I do admit, I kind of grin sheepishly while drawing/coloring the animation and trying to project a bit into it! :-D

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
I don't post much in here, but here's a quick look at the menu I'm trying to work on for a more Resident Evil-like horror game. Apologies for the dreadful recording quality and tiny size.

y3ml3fm.gif

Work on The Godbeast is in the final stretch, but also going extremely slowly due to my lack of motivation (and skill) in implementing sound effects and music.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
my actual development is ahead of this but it's still cool

U5RgH5b.gif

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I don't post much in here, but here's a quick look at the menu I'm trying to work on for a more Resident Evil-like horror game. Apologies for the dreadful recording quality and tiny size.

y3ml3fm.gif

Work on The Godbeast is in the final stretch, but also going extremely slowly due to my lack of motivation (and skill) in implementing sound effects and music.

I google the name of your game and I see a collection of Action Figures with this name.
Maybe you need to check for Copyright?

Also is this related with this game?
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=49756.0

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
I google the name of your game and I see a collection of Action Figures with this name.
Maybe you need to check for Copyright?

Also is this related with this game?
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=49756.0
Yeah, that's mine. Copyright infringement is not possible as there is nothing being copied from those unrelated action figures. Trademark infringement should not be the case either, as I don't seen anything registered and it's a different type of product with minimal/zero risk of consumer confusion.

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Yeah, that's mine. Copyright infringement is not possible as there is nothing being copied from those unrelated action figures. Trademark infringement should not be the case either, as I don't seen anything registered and it's a different type of product with minimal/zero risk of consumer confusion.

Ah, sorry then for my mistake.
I thought there would be a problem with the names.
Your game look very nice. Remind me a more minimalistic version of Killer 7 in style.

Oct 27, 2017
I went back and made a slight tweak to the dungeon layout step in preparation for linking it up to the room layouts... In the process, I somehow made it significantly slower for reasons I can't fathom. If anything, this change should make it easier (and thus quicker) to find valid dungeon layouts.

I suspect it's probably not quite doing what I intended, but debugging is haaaarrrrddd...

Anyway, at least it's just slow and not fundamentally broken. Things could be worse!

Actually I came back to the thread to post it (who needs to sleep?). :)

5anzPmF.gif

Looks good - I love the way the roads intersect and cross over, and the bridges on the water are a great touch!

Not that much variety since I only have three types of terrain (grass, mountains and water), but with a few more like desert, ice and lava it could be quite varied, especially if I only use a handful of terrain types per world, as I intend.

Visually, I do wonder if the colours are a little muted and smaey for an overworld. Adding more colourful terrain types will definitely help, but within these ones, the mountains look a little oppressive maybe. They're very bold and high-contrast while also being quite a dark shade.

The individual maps, in case the above is a bit too fast:
https://imgur.com/a/SxuseDV

Generation rules:
- For this specific map, it generates either a Supertank or a Shield Generator (those are the bosses), one or two tiles away from the East edge of the map.
- From there it shoots two roads to the West that must end on the West edge of the map, and a river with the same rules (also the same to the East, but these are much shorter, obviously). Where you see roads joining and diverging, there's actually two roads overlapping. :)
- When roads cross water, they become bridges, and they won't turn until they reach the other side, or until they reach the edge of the map.
- Finally, it generates either two cities (on road tiles), two battleships (on sea or river tiles), or one of each.

Notes:
- Successive maps are larger and have more of everything: they're larger, more stages, more bosses, more roads, etc.
- The tiles are not square, and are designed to look good on their own, overlapping themselves, or overlapping other terrain. The jagged effect on the map's edges is just how the tile borders look.

I was going to compliment you on the border effect on the edges of the map, but it's even niftier that it's part of the tile shape. That's a great way of making the tiles overlap in a natural way. Looking more closely at the gif, I can see how the rivers are all curly, and all of the edges lay over each other naturally. Very nice.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1983471571/rogue-heroes-ruins-of-tasos

Very intriguing! This game looks right up my alley in a lot of ways. I'll keep an eye on it.

Let's not go overboard! They have a team and a whole project that's nearly finished, and all I have right now is an early work-in-progress experiment in doing something their Kickstarter page says they explicitly decided not to do (for perfectly good reasons).

Their project is obviously relevant to my interests, but they don't need my help =)

Benz On Dubz

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Here's some recent progress I've made on my custom editor. I've implemented hot-reloading so that my engine will reload resources that have been modified. I previously had to shutdown/reopen my editor every time I changed a model, texture, shader, etc. The GUI is built with the Fast Light Tool Kit (FLTK).

I'm currently fixing my mouse picker for selecting entities and then I'll add something like Unity's Hierarchy pane.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I went back and made a slight tweak to the dungeon layout step in preparation for linking it up to the room layouts... In the process, I somehow made it significantly slower for reasons I can't fathom. If anything, this change should make it easier (and thus quicker) to find valid dungeon layouts.

I suspect it's probably not quite doing what I intended, but debugging is haaaarrrrddd...

When in doubt, throw debug logs everywhere. :D

Looks good - I love the way the roads intersect and cross over, and the bridges on the water are a great touch!

Visually, I do wonder if the colours are a little muted and smaey for an overworld. Adding more colourful terrain types will definitely help, but within these ones, the mountains look a little oppressive maybe. They're very bold and high-contrast while also being quite a dark shade.

You're 200% right, I don't much like the colors in the mountains either, and just yesterday as I was making this I was thinking I needed to remake them (yeah, I know this sounds unlikely, but it's true). The grass is probably too dark too. Obviously your opinion makes it even more high priority, so I'll get to it today (or tomorrow since I have to prep and send a new build to testers today). The leap to the DB32 palette took quite a few days but I worked quite quickly on all sprites, and have been tweaking many of them along the way, but I didn't much touch the map, and it does feel the weaker part of the game now.

I was going to compliment you on the border effect on the edges of the map, but it's even niftier that it's part of the tile shape. That's a great way of making the tiles overlap in a natural way. Looking more closely at the gif, I can see how the rivers are all curly, and all of the edges lay over each other naturally. Very nice.

Hahah, thanks. There's lots of tricks to prevent the need of (literal) edge-cases tiles. For example, water bodies as just overlaid on top of rivers, and in fact rivers keep going on below them.

In this way, adding a terrain is just as easy as creating its tile. No need to draw edge tiles for anything, least of all quadratic tiles for each pair of terrains.

Let's not go overboard! They have a team and a whole project that's nearly finished, and all I have right now is an early work-in-progress experiment in doing something their Kickstarter page says they explicitly decided not to do (for perfectly good reasons).

Their project is obviously relevant to my interests, but they don't need my help =)

Yeah, it's almost a shame there's so much difference in the timeline of each of your projects, I'm sure there could have been a lot of information / technique sharing otherwise. Ah well, if nothing else it's always great to have working examples of how other people do things!

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
#gifshotsaturday

Working on riding animations for Lucy today. I need to go make some more pain blendshapes for the manta considering how heavy she is.

Oct 27, 2017
Unrelated to all else... I had a scary incident today where I very almost lost a bunch of work, and this finally prompted to me to set up source control for my project. I feel like I can breathe a bit easier now, haha...

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ooh I'm digging the visual direction you're heading towards.

I see your demo is up on Steam. I'm gonna check it out :)

Thanks! Not sure if you have a VR setup or not, but just FYI that older demo does run without VR despite no indication on the Steam store page. Still gotta get those expected traditional PC game options (keybinding, resolution selection, etc) in there though...

Unrelated to all else... I had a scary incident today where I very almost lost a bunch of work, and this finally prompted to me to set up source control for my project. I feel like I can breathe a bit easier now, haha...
At this point, source control's a must for pretty much anything I spend more than a few hours on, even if there are no long-term plans. It's so much less stressful knowing you can't really ever TOTALLY mess something up.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
My work cycle pretty much assumes source control, I revert like thrice on average for each commit. By the way, anyone working with Unity, remember to set it to save your assets, scenes and such as text, otherwise you're fucked when merging anything (or, hell, even diffing to see what's changed).

Also, BitBucket offers free private Git repositories for anyone interested, that's where I have mine set up.

Anyhow, I just spent an embarrassing amount of time reworking my mountains map sprite as per Brushguy Woodthreep 's suggestion. It's incredible how much time one can spend on such a small sprite, but of course the constraints for it to work correctly are pretty crazy (must look good by itself, next to itself in any pattern, and next to any other tile). Old and new:

5SYiHuB.gif

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
I'm working through a Udemy Unity course and it had me set up source control via Sourcetree but local only. I went through the trouble of setting it up via github. I don't really need it to be private right now so it's free regardless :).

I only had one issue at one point which was an asset store file being >100mb and thus it wouldn't upload (some .spp file) but I sorted it eventually.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
My work cycle pretty much assumes source control, I revert like thrice on average for each commit. By the way, anyone working with Unity, remember to set it to save your assets, scenes and such as text, otherwise you're fucked when merging anything (or, hell, even diffing to see what's changed).

Also, BitBucket offers free private Git repositories for anyone interested, that's where I have mine set up.

Anyhow, I just spent an embarrassing amount of time reworking my mountains map sprite as per Brushguy Woodthreep 's suggestion. It's incredible how much time one can spend on such a small sprite, but of course the constraints for it to work correctly are pretty crazy (must look good by itself, next to itself in any pattern, and next to any other tile). Old and new:

5SYiHuB.gif

That's way better!

I guess today is the day when I set up a source repo lol you guys are freaking me out

Oct 27, 2017
At this point, source control's a must for pretty much anything I spend more than a few hours on, even if there are no long-term plans. It's so much less stressful knowing you can't really ever TOTALLY mess something up.

Yeah, I'm feeling a bit silly for not doing it sooner :) but it's one more thing to learn.

I'm super glad for this advice, since I know almost nothing about this stuff... although on the plus side, it seems Unity uses the text setting by default:

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-EditorManager.html

5SYiHuB.gif

At a glance, that's a huge improvement!! Would love to see it in context too.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Yeah, I'm feeling a bit silly for not doing it sooner :) but it's one more thing to learn.

It's a pretty risky thing to do, yeah. Frankly the idea of being one hard disk crash away from losing weeks or months of work is super stressing to me. :D

I'm super glad for this advice, since I know almost nothing about this stuff... although on the plus side, it seems Unity uses the text setting by default:
https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-EditorManager.html

They must have changed it recently (in the past year), because I'm almost sure I had them as binary by default when I created mine (with Unity 5.4). About time they changed it, too; there's zero reason to use binaries in this day and age, the space saved is not worth the lack of transparency.

Interestingly, if those are the defaults, it would seem Meta Files are now hidden by default, while I'm also almost sure they were set as visible in my project without me doing anything.
https://answers.unity.com/questions...5.1879148902.1526156635-2121534859.1513562726
Apparently they should be set them as visible for source control to work correctly; it's kind of hilarious that they'd fix one option's default for source control and then mess up another. Frankly it's incredible that hidden metas are an option at all, let alone the default; wouldn't that completely mess up the object relationships upon checkout?

At a glance, that's a huge improvement!! Would love to see it in context too.

Oookay, I'll take some screenshots, hang on. :D

Edit: Here:
qOEmESl.gif

Individual maps here.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
They must have changed it recently (in the past year), because I'm almost sure I had them as binary by default when I created mine (with Unity 5.4). About time they changed it, too; there's zero reason to use binaries in this day and age, the space saved is not worth the lack of transparency.

I'm on 2017.3 (from when I restarted the project) and I didn't have to change the setting, so it could indeed be a change from the past year or so!

Interestingly, if those are the defaults, it would seem Meta Files are now hidden by default, while I'm also almost sure they were set as visible in my project without me doing anything.
https://answers.unity.com/questions...5.1879148902.1526156635-2121534859.1513562726
Apparently they should be set them as visible for source control to work correctly; it's kind of hilarious that they'd fix one option's default for source control and then mess up another. Frankly it's incredible that hidden metas are an option at all, let alone the default; wouldn't that completely mess up the object relationships upon checkout?

For what it's worth, even with the meta files set to hidden, they seem to have all been committed along with the other files. I changed the setting anyway just to be on the safe side!

Oookay, I'll take some screenshots, hang on. :D

Edit: Here:
qOEmESl.gif

Individual maps here.

Wow, that is MUCH better! It's gone from heavy and dark to light and world-mappy. Impressive work!

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'm on 2017.3 (from when I restarted the project) and I didn't have to change the setting, so it could indeed be a change from the past year or so!

I'm on 2017 myself now; don't ask me why, but the migration from 5.4 to 5.5 was much more painful than the migration to 2017. :D

For what it's worth, even with the meta files set to hidden, they seem to have all been committed along with the other files. I changed the setting anyway just to be on the safe side!

So it literally just applies the Hidden file attribute to them, I assume. Git probably commits hidden files too, but other source control systems may not.

Wow, that is MUCH better! It's gone from heavy and dark to light and world-mappy. Impressive work!

Thanks! I actually did another thing I should have done looooong ago, which probably accounts for more of that change of look than the mountains themselves. When I introduced the option of scanlines, I made it so that the game is 15% darker when they're off (so that brightness is relatively similar between both options). I just changed it to be the opposite, i.e. brightness is 20% higher when scanlines are on. This also makes the game more consistent, as some things (mostly characters and enemies) don't actually obey light sources, even at night, to be more visible.

So yeah, the effect on the map is quite dramatic, and the rest of the game also looks better and more vibrant now. :)

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
Yesterday we went from 5.6.0 to 2018.1 just for kicks, and replaced our network solution with the NAT Traversal, and companion packages. We expected it to break in all sorts of manners, but honestly, though we haven't done extensive testing, the only things that broke were ProBuilder and some deprecated functions that couldn't auto correct keydown to Keydown lol. Oh, and though the new networking code got linked properly for me, its dlls didn't get linked into my friend's visual studio for some unknown reason. That took probably an hour to realize because the intellisense worked on my pc but not his :)

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Now that I see more clear the main character, did you use as placeholder the hero from Hyper Light Drifter ?

Not a sprite rip but yeah referenced heavily. As it turns out, a character with a cloak and a sword animates fairly expressively :)

But yeah just placeholder sprites while I work out a system

Benz On Dubz

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts

What are you using for source control?

I was using WinCVS for years and switched to Github in March. I found git to be tough to learn at first, but I'm really starting to appreciate the flexibility and branching of it.

heytred

Build Engineer, Apex Legends
Verified
Dec 29, 2017
Seattle, WA
Hi folks,

Just wanted to do an intro since I've been lurking for a bit - I'm a back-end/build & release engineer at First Strike Games, previously with 343 Industries, but I've also been working on indie projects on the side. Don't really have much to say beyond that, but nice to meet you nerds. <3

chironex

Oct 27, 2017
I meant to do a hi all post yesterday but got distracted as you do. So hi all!

I'm a regular ol dev who quit their job last year to go full time indie. I'm currently working on a sci-fi dungeon crawler in the vein of Legend of Grimrock/Eye of the Beholder but with more of a focus on tactical combat.

I've mostly held off from posting about it anywhere as it's been in grey-box/programmer art stage for the last 8 months but as of Friday I've been joined by an artist so I hope to have some screens to post soon.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
What are you using for source control?

I was using WinCVS for years and switched to Github in March. I found git to be tough to learn at first, but I'm really starting to appreciate the flexibility and branching of it.

This may be a good time to say that for the love of god, don't use ancient half-assed source control systems like CVS or SourceSafe. If I remember correctly CVS doesn't even let you rename files without losing history (!). Some of the older projects in my previous job used it and it took a while to convince the bosses to let us migrate to SVN at least, and I was happy with SVN, but I guess if I were to go back now that I've tried Git I'd miss so much functionality. Just the fact that every working copy is a fully functional repository is freaking mind-blowing.

Version control systems seem to be one of the few pieces of software where there's an actual hierarchy of "this is strictly better than this", and the difference is huge. There's really no reason to use anything else than Git (or something similar, like Mercurial I guess, although I've never used it myself) if you're starting a new project from scratch.

OP
OP
Popstar

Popstar

Oct 25, 2017
Hi Tyler Owens and chironex ! Don't feel pressured that you need to have something to show to post. Just hanging out in here is fine.

Version control systems seem to be one of the few pieces of software where there's an actual hierarchy of "this is strictly better than this", and the difference is huge. There's really no reason to use anything else than Git (or something similar, like Mercurial I guess, although I've never used it myself) if you're starting a new project from scratch.
I use Subversion myself, and I kinda disagree about Git strictly being better than other options. Git's popularity has a lot to do with Github. If it had been Hubcurial or something else instead, many people would be using a different version control system.

Status
Not open for further replies.