ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"Life-changing" is perhaps going too far, but buying a $10 double-layered tea strainer cup from Walmart has saved me… I don't even know how much money. I was spending way too much on Thai and Jasmine teas from places. Not even with boba or toppings. Just the tea.

Knew from past experience that Thai tea tasted exactly the same made at home, but it just took too long to make right. The cup makes it the simplest thing in the world. I've had like 50 cups of Thai Tea with a splash of milk in the last two months and it's cost me under $30 (not counting the cup).

Just *insane* value from a $10 purchase. Has helped me cut down in sugars indirectly, too!

mausterhunter

Feb 1, 2019
Buying a 20 euro waterjet flosser has got me flossing twice daily for the first time in my life for almost a year now. It's incredibly fast and easy now and I highly recommend it to anyone who's had trouble flossing consistently.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
Well, just spent $99 on a soy milk machine thanks to this thread.

Gonna explore tofu making as well - I read the trick about freezing tofu to change the texture and it worked a treat.

(EDIT)
Speaking of mops, a disc mop is pretty useful. Instead of wringing it out by force you just place the head in the "salad spinner" looking part of the bucket, unlock the telescoping mechanism and pump it up and down a few times. When the telescope retracts it spins the head so fast that the water is forced out of it by centripetal force.

61Mpi3olT7L._AC_SX450_.jpg

This brand wasn't readily available in my country, but it appears that if there was a patent it's expired a few years ago as there are lots on the market.

The one I got was prominently displayed at the front of my local hardware store, which means they're selling well or they have a new model coming out. Regardless, I'm in love. I just did the whole house and I've never had a mop come out so dry after wringing it - super useful especially on cold days like today (Southern hemisphere) where normally I'm waiting hours for the floor to dry. The easier a tool, the more I'll use it.

My only complaint is that the handle is too short - mop handles need to come up to your chin, not your stomach. I'll have to modify it or find some extensions.

Last edited:

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
Not a double post....weeks apart!

I bought....a lid.

I've been using an upside down wok to cover my frying pan (skillet) a lot. Firstly it traps in the heat for some dishes so it cooks more evenly and economically, and secondly it cuts down on splatter. However, a wok doesn't make the best lid.

Long story short, I got this. It's universal for three different sized pans, although I've only tried it with a 12" frying pan. They come in all sorts of sizes. So far it seems very durable and the silicone is thick/stiff enough so that I can set it to dry in a rack and it doesn't really bend under its own weight.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I know it's been posted a few times... but more on Scrub Daddy - type sponges...

I love washing up & cleaning (I will never get a dish-washer, arrest me), and I really think the Scrub Daddy - type sponges live up to the hype.

imo Scrub daddy falls apart in a matter of weeks (particular the 'jaw') but Scrub Mate / rectuangular variants are really excellent and hold up.

As with regular sponges, do not use it to clean cheese sauce - use a silicone-like brush.

Point is, it keeps its integrity for a long time and works really well.

81FDqWSR1VL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Firstly I'll bump the puck movement-sensor lights, they're awesome. Stuck velcro on them and they're all up my stairs, in wardrobes, under the kitchen units now.

I was pondering what made a meaningful day-to-day difference to me, and I think it would probably be wedge pillows like this one:

Brentwood-Home-Zuma-Foam-Wedge-Pillow.jpg

That's not a specific type - I've tried several - but Amazon has plenty to choose from.

Really helped me get better sleep, especially when I started going through a bout of sleep apnea earlier this year. And I have one on my sofa too, and it's an absolute godsend for avoiding bad back through posture, especially for those seats you tend to sink into.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Not a double post....weeks apart!

I bought....a lid.

I've been using an upside down wok to cover my frying pan (skillet) a lot. Firstly it traps in the heat for some dishes so it cooks more evenly and economically, and secondly it cuts down on splatter. However, a wok doesn't make the best lid.

Long story short, I got this. It's universal for three different sized pans, although I've only tried it with a 12" frying pan. They come in all sorts of sizes. So far it seems very durable and the silicone is thick/stiff enough so that I can set it to dry in a rack and it doesn't really bend under its own weight.

...i actually need one of these. damn you to heck

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Buying a 20 euro waterjet flosser has got me flossing twice daily for the first time in my life for almost a year now. It's incredibly fast and easy now and I highly recommend it to anyone who's had trouble flossing consistently.
Yup, made a huge difference to my oral hygiene.

I maybe flossed 20 times in 30 years, but since I got my little battery powered water flosser I've managed most months with only a day or two missed.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
i bought a duster for a buck at dollar general today
it's so easy to dust now wtf
all those hard to reach spots i can just stick it in there and wiggle it around
how did i avoid this all my life??

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
Motion sensor bulbs.

Bought a couple of cheap ones off of ebay last year as a proof of concept and they lasted as long as you'd expect, so I just got some brand-name ones.

One in my my toilet, one in my laundry, one in my closet and probably one going outside. My only issue is that I have to tape over the light switches until I get used to them. There's a small lag, although they're mostly replacing ancient compact fluorescents, so the lag is about the same.

zoe8RFn.png

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
A coffee dripper. After having two different coffee machines that ended up leaking I tried a cafetiere, but cleaning it was a chore. So I got a coffee dripper and some filter papers.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Motion sensor bulbs.

Bought a couple of cheap ones off of ebay last year as a proof of concept and they lasted as long as you'd expect, so I just got some brand-name ones.

One in my my toilet, one in my laundry, one in my closet and probably one going outside. My only issue is that I have to tape over the light switches until I get used to them. There's a small lag, although they're mostly replacing ancient compact fluorescents, so the lag is about the same.

zoe8RFn.png
How long does it stay on without motion? I think that'd be annoying especially in the bathroom depending on how long it stays.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
How long does it stay on without motion? I think that'd be annoying especially in the bathroom depending on how long it stays.
60 seconds. Movement keeps it on, but I haven't done a sit-down test yet, so I don't know if I have to just occasionally move slightly or if I have to do an impression of a guy in an electric chair.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A good quality electric air pump. I leave that in my car trunk so I can pump my tires or anyone else's if needed. It's also so useful for pumping bikes, and literally anything inflatable. If you want to beach like Ken you need one. Manual air pumps are not worth the amount of effort required

WillRobBanks

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I bought a double page turner/ring combo for my kindle, and set it up with a tablet arm stand between my mattress and box spring. I then ran long usb charging cables (with a 3 way usb splitter). Now I can lay flat in bed and easily read my kindle with arms under the covers. And none of it runs out of charge. When it's time to sleep, just put the ring in its charging case and slide the kindle arm over

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A good quality electric air pump. I leave that in my car trunk so I can pump my tires or anyone else's if needed. It's also so useful for pumping bikes, and literally anything inflatable. If you want to beach like Ken you need one. Manual air pumps are not worth the amount of effort required
Gtfo…. I was literally just about to search for exactly this right before entering this thread lol.

So the one you got is good for cars? Mind sharing a link?

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a double page turner/ring combo for my kindle, and set it up with a tablet arm stand between my mattress and box spring. I then ran long usb charging cables (with a 3 way usb splitter). Now I can lay flat in bed and easily read my kindle with arms under the covers. And none of it runs out of charge. When it's time to sleep, just put the ring in its charging case and slide the kindle arm over

I didn't realize remote page turners were a thing for Kindles. That's kind of incredible.

Ferda

The Fallen
Jan 25, 2019
Portland, OR

Thanks for this! I bought a kindle holder so it will hold up my kindle while I'm in bed and I don't drop it on my face when I fall asleep reading but still had to turn the pages like a peasant. Didn't know these were a thing and just saw one on Amazon that was normally $70 for $20 so had to get it, should be a game changer!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I know im not who you quoted, but I swear by this things and got one for my SO when she got a new car.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VMM69N9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

fwiw if you don't already have one, consider a cordless one. I *hate* those wired 12v ones unless you have a socket in the trunk/boot. Cable is stiff and gets tangled, it never tucks away properly like its supposed to. Cordless solves all that and is super convenient to just walk around the car with.

Oct 27, 2017
Some of these monitor support arms, cost me £26 a year ago and my desk is so beautifully uncluttered and spacious. Crazy how much difference they made.

61u06r9NxcL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_FMwebp_DpWeblab_.jpg

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
Update. I did a sitting test. If you sit there with a tablet and don't move, the light will go out. But if you move an arm or leg every now and then, say, 10 degrees, it won't.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Update. I did a sitting test. If you sit there with a tablet and don't move, the light will go out. But if you move an arm or leg every now and then, say, 10 degrees, it won't.

Not as inexpensive but I put a presence sensor in my office for this reason - a PIR sensor switches off my lights too often

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I finally got around to getting some smart plugs so our electric blanket will auto turn off at night. I'm not recommending it yet because I don't know if it's InternetOfShit yet or not though.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I bought an inexpensive air purifier for our bedroom a few weeks ago. My hay fever and sleep have got so much better since.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
fwiw if you don't already have one, consider a cordless one. I *hate* those wired 12v ones unless you have a socket in the trunk/boot. Cable is stiff and gets tangled, it never tucks away properly like its supposed to. Cordless solves all that and is super convenient to just walk around the car with.
How is the cordless one? I assume you get one that's rechargeable (or get rechargeable batteries) because that thing's gotta chew through batteries at a decent clip?

On a side note I have an electric battery jumper and it takes so much power to do it's job that I have to constantly remember to keep it topped up... if I just leave it in the car it'll never be ready when I actually need it. Maybe I just brought a bad brand though.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
Are air purifiers legit or snakeoil stuff?

There are some review sites that do independent testing and show how much they reduce particle counts in a room. They do work.

How important it is for an individual depends on the local environment and the person's sensitivities. If you have reliably clean air and no dust, smoke, pollen, etc. allergies you may not notice a difference. I've lived in places with wildfires and turning on the air purifier makes a huge difference to the air within a few minutes. My wife has a few allergies, including our dog, and running it is a must for her.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Anyone try out that "BevLedge?" It is a collapsible plastic stand that you can put in an airplane window to put up to two drinks, a phone, and a few other things instead of having your tray there. I'm curious if it is useful for someone who plays the Switch on the plane.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Started buying shoes with a wide toe box last year. I've gotten rid of at least one long term periodic ache that came from standing and probably a few more I haven't even noticed.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
Cast iron pan.
Can find it dirt cheap second hand; easy to fix and season. Treat it properly and it's the best cooking ware out there.
Couldn't agree more. I got my first cast iron pot, a Lodge Dutch oven, about six months ago. It took my bread-making to the next level. Since then, I've added 4qt and 7qt Staub Dutch ovens to my collection. I absolutely love them. The heat retention is incredible. I never bought into the cast iron hype. More fool me.