• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Via Reddit in response to rumors regarding the game's microtransactions:

Sigh. There continues to be misinformed and incorrect info being pushed about Modern Warfare. What I can say right now is that we are definitely NOT working on any kind of supply drop or loot box system. Also, functional stuff is unlocked through GAMEPLAY. Stay tuned, we're planning to release info this week.

It should also be noted that a glitch in the Beta did cause the game to mention a Common Supply Drop
NerosCinema_2019-Sep-12-1024x576.jpg

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I like how it starts with a sigh when the reason any of the people on the subreddit think it will add lootboxes is because of the super scummy history that CoD has for it.

If they stay true to this and don't add something later then good on them, but of course people will believe otherwise when it has happened so many times already.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Buddy. The last few games have gotten them all after launch to avoid scrutiny. Hell, most Activision games seem to. Stop trying to blow smoke up our asses

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they clone the season 1 WW2 loot box system then it's not bad, that game was dropping more coins than I knew what to do with. Was shame about the later seasons :(

BLOPS loot box/battlepass system was slow and shameful

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
He probably forgot the word "now".
The new tactic is to release a pristine lootboxes free game and then slap it on after reviews.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean this is reasonable. Black Ops didn't really have loot boxes until much later in it's life span.

I'm sure they are working on some sort of loot stream like Fortnite and Black Ops 2 or a daily store with buyable loot.

No way they are not working on some form of MTX but I can see them avoiding loot boxes.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
If they clone the season 1 WW2 loot box system then it's not bad, that game was dropping more coins than I knew what to do with. Was shame about the later seasons :(

Yeah, WW2 is my favorite COD game of this gen. Especially once the two SHG founders left, it got even better. Might reinstall it and play it for another year here.

Shame that next year seems to be Black Ops 5 and thus the end of SHG solo CODs.

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
What you mean is there isn't one at launch but there will be in 6-12 months time right? That's how its worked for the previous ones.

OP
OP
poklane

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I also find it hilarious that he's complaining about the leaks while Infinity Ward and Activision could have just come out with an official blog post detailing what they're doing with post-launch microtransactions months ago. Yeah, there's a leaker in the community who's been leaking virtually everything about the game with him time and time being correct, you should have known it was only a matter of time before he was also gonna leak your microtransactions. Nothing stopped you from detailing it yourself months ago.
Seriously, doing a non-scummy loot box system isn't that hard:
  • Supply Drops are cosmetic only, weapons are earnable with reasonably easy and quick to complete challenges
  • Paid Supply Drops are duplicate protected
  • Game has an in-game currency which you can earn by completing challenges while duplicates from Supply Drops are also converted into this currency
  • This in-game currency can be used to purchase all Supply Drop content (MWR and WWII did this although if I remember correctly WWII still had some Supply Drop exclusive content)

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate to call this dude out, but yeah, this is a lie.

3 months max until they arrive. No one should believe Activision on this topic.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Sigh. There continues to be misinformed and incorrect info being pushed about Modern Warfare. What I can say right now is that we are definitely NOT working on any kind of supply drop or loot box system (at the moment). Also, functional stuff is unlocked through GAMEPLAY (at launch). Stay tuned, we're planning to release info this week

I believe it

Evan

Oct 27, 2017
It'll have a store just like fortnite and any game after it. $20 skins here we come!

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
You cannot complain about leaks going around when you refuse to release any information on the systems within two weeks of launch, and given prior history with the franchise. People have a right to be worried about the game and MTX's going forward.

OP
OP
poklane

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Infinity Ward and Activision immediately could have taken away any worries when they announced the game, they didn't.
Infinity Ward and Activision immediately could have taken away any worries at E3, they didn't.
Infinity Ward and Activision immediately could have taken away any worries when they unveiled the Multiplayer, they didn't.
Infinity Ward and Activision immediately could have taken away any worries when the Beta went live, they didn't.
Infinity Ward and Activision immediately could have taken away any worries when a bug in the Beta showed the existence of a Common Supply Drop, they didn't.
Infinity Ward and Activision immediately could have taken away any worries when the leaks started, they didn't.

They have nobody to blame but themselves for this mess and distrust.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The more they say there's no lootboxes the more people are going to notice in six months when they add them in.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
There's obviously still going to be some form of MTX, but I think it'll hopefully be better implemented than say Modern Warfare of Black Ops 4.
Just copy the Fortnite Formula and ditch the boxes.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
After BO4, I'm out. If they're not in at launch, they'll be added in a couple of months. I don't trust them not to sell power and lock it behind random loot boxes. Activision has earned zero goodwill.